For the price, this was a pretty good deal. While the rooms in the coral section that my buddy and I had booked, reassembled a 2 star, the consistent 3.5-4 star service and amenities with coffee bars, smoothie bars, booze bars, mohito station, buffets, beaches, central location and on site activities more than made up for basic rooms. The resort is just a $5 cab ride from varadero....1 cabbie took $2, and a 1 $6/7...5 was high, but common. Good variety and prices of souvenirs at local stands between beach and hotel. Awesome coffees. Friendly tourists from around the world.
Lots of bars in varadero...Beatles bar for live music, Havana club and calle 62....lots of music and fun times.
4 of us rented a '57 Chevy with driver to Havana...costed $80, 1-way. Took about 2.25 hours.
Found a really nice casa particular apartment in Havana, across the street from the malecon...4 bedrooms, prices range up to $35 per room...awesome views of open ocean...central to Prado & Malecon. Owner Anida only speaks Spanish, and is very easy to get along with. Address is 59 Malecon... She has a buzzer at the doorway...locals are quite friendly in the area... I Highly recommend her apartments. Apartments include air conditioning, but these weren't needed in early December.
Bus back to varadero costed just $10...bus station is just across the street from the zoo. Zoo is about a $5 cab ride from the restaurants (some with AC) at calle 26 / 23 near the huge colon cemetery...the cemetery is one of the stops on the $5 hop-on-hop-off bus tour. There are 2 bus tour loops.
Scooter rentals from out front of coral hotel cost $20 for 4 hours...quite reasonable.
Calls back to canada are pricy from hotel...$2.50/minute. No wifi at hotel. Found wifi at $4/15 minutes at hotel Saratoga business centre on 2nd floor next to lounge. Slow speed wifi.
Overall, we had a fun vacation and I do recommend sol sirenas. If you want 4.5 star, pay the extra $30 / day for "cosmonaut" for swankier rooms and deluxe room service.
I got the impression that the Sol group knows what they are doing and well manages his property. I would stay here again, if I could get a deal again of under $1,000 all in from Vancouver.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All Inclusive Four Star resort with 651 rooms. Located alongside the beach in Varadero. Hotel complex surrounded by tropical gardens which convey an informal atmosphere. The property excels for its superb entertainment program. Recommended for families traveling with children.Guest Rooms651 rooms: 505 Standard, 63 Standard Ocean View, 10 Standard Superior, 55 Junior Suite, 6 Suite, 12 Family SuiteDining7 Restaurants (A la Carta, Buffet), 1 Cafeterias, 8 Bars ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Sol Sirenas Coral Hotel Varadero
- Sol Sirenas Coral Resort Varadero
- Sol Sirenas Coral Varadero