“Great beach, don't expect much from rooms”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Sol Sirenas Coral Resort
Ranked #37 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We checked in on April 19th 2014 and the receptionist told us right away that we could change rooms in the morning, which we though was a bit odd. We arrived in the room to find a sea of bugs in the bathroom. We couldn't change rooms before the next day, so our stay didn't start on a high note. However, we were upgraded the next day and we had a beautiful ocean view. Minor problems included the fact that the toilet didn't flush properly and that the hair dryer didn't work at all. We were surprised with the buffet as we thought it was actually good for Cuba and the Pina Colada is really good! However, DO NOT go to the Chinese à la carte restaurant, it is one of the worst restaurants I've ever been to and people kept walking out without finishing their meal. The Italian restaurant was quite good.

The resort is located right off the beach with white, fluffy sand and tons of sun chairs. Beware though, the beach was closed for a whole afternoon as a lot of jelly fish washed ashore, some people were stung but the lifeguards knew what to do. The activities are fun and you can go kayaking for free on the Sirenas side. The city centre is a 20 minute walk from the hotel via the beach. We purchased a day-tour to Havana and I definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Karine_1048
Sol C, Gerente at Sol Sirenas Coral Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear Mrs Karine_1048

We are pleased to receive your valuable opinion about your experiences in our Hotel, thank you very much for letting us know, it is a very important tool to keep working with high standards.

Is great to know you have left our hotel happy and satisfied, that’s the main objective of our staff. For sure we will let them know about your review. Sol Sirenas Coral family will love to have you back in your next visit to Varadero.

My best regards,

The Management

Write a ReviewReviews (5,138)

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We just came back from Cuba on the 26-April-2014. We were there for a week and were originally booked at the Coral side of the resort. Their are three hotels on this property. Coral is kind of the "fun" side, Sirenas is kind of the "family" side and Cosmonautus is the "full service pampering" side that was built for Russian diplomats and people with status, but is now open to the public.
We decided to move from the Coral side to the Cosmonautus after the first day to experience the good life. The cost is 30 cuc per day per person. I don't feel it is worth it. Save your money.
The resort itself really isn't that bad - it is old, however, the rooms were clean and staff was polite. You can travel anywhere on the resort and hangout at either pool which are both nice, surrounded by palm trees or spend time along the ocean which has crystal blue water. I recommend eating at the Sirenas side if doing the buffet. It just seems to have a fresher array of food, but both are good if you have them grill your meats. Their are three ala cartes to choose from. Italian, Chinese and Mexican. The Italian is amazing, Chinese decent and we never experienced the Mexican but heard it was very good.
A few shout-outs to some great servers, Poncho at the Coral lobby bar, Lillian at the Coral buffet and Annalyse at the Cosmonautus bar. These three went above and beyond, however, I was tipping most rounds, usually one cuc.
A couple side notes, If you want privacy, Cosmonautus is the place. As far as money exchange, take lots of cash and exchange at the airport or bank for the best rate. Credit cards need to be Canadian and you can use them SOMETIMES. The interact at most places only works sometime. Other then that, Cuba is an amazing place to visit and an adventure waiting to happen. I cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms are nice at the Coral side of the resort, but it can be noisy at night, if you...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Shawn H
Sol C, Director General at Sol Sirenas Coral Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear Mrs. Shawn H
We deeply thank you for writing these nice comments on our facilities, services and, most of all, our staff. It feels indeed very rewarding for us to acknowledge how guests are able to appreciate our efforts to achieve their full satisfaction. Your report encourages us to continue and improve our daily work. I hope future travelers will highly consider your helpful review when choosing the right destination for their next vacation.
It will be a great pleasure to welcome you once again in Sol Sirenas Coral so you can enjoy another wonderful stay among our big family.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We upgraded from Allegro Varadero and was very happy
This was a much better kept resort
The food areas were air conditioned and doors kept closed
The beach was very nice and you could talk to town or take the 5 Paso's bus
All the staff was very nice and I recommend it for the money
We started paying $1230 for 2 weeks per person and upgraded for another $50....money well spend !!
Weather as great at end of March and I would go to this one

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank vegaman51

Dear Mr vegaman51

We deeply thank you for writing these precise and at the same time very rewarding comments on our resort. Through your report we can acknowledge how guests are able to appreciate our efforts to achieve their full satisfaction. I hope future travellers take into account such a good advertisement when choosing the appropriate destination for their next holidays.

I’d be very pleased to welcome you back in Sol Sirenas Coral so you can enjoy another fantastic vacation among us.

Best regards,

Reviewed 26 April 2014

First of all, the service was incredible. The staff is wonderful, soo friendly, hard-working. The waitresses at the buffet are adorable, they try and recognize you when you come down for breakfast and have your coffee or juice ready for you, so thoughtful. Overall thought the hotel was fairly clean, rooms were ok. Although must say, the furniture is pretty out-dated. If you're expecting a North American-standard 4-star, you will be disappointed. But if you go in with an open mind and recognize the wonderful people, you'll be happy.

The beach is amazing, just beautiful. Always clean, always has a lifeguard on duty. Activities on the beach in the morning can be noisy, but they move to the pool in the afternoon. Pools are fine, more of a social drinking place than relaxing swimming place.

We stayed in the coral side, was definitely older, louder, but still fine for the amount of money we were paying. Have heard the sirenas side is newer, more quiet.

Overall enjoyed the stay, fell in love with Cuba, definitely make the effort to go off resort and experience it. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms in Coral section more for "party people" and older.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank ligallant

Dear Ms Ligallant

Thanks a lot for your valuable comments and feedback, we really appreciate it and on behalf of all of us I would like to thank you for your visit and we are really sorry we haven't fully meet your expectations. . I understand there are certain issues we must solve and we are already working on them

In any case and once again I thank you for your visit and comments and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back some time in the near future and being able to offer our best hospitality.

Best regards

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I stayed at the Sol Sirenas Coral April 6th to 21st. Originally I was placed in the Coral side and had an Oceanview room, these rooms face the pool side, I think I would have been okay in the Coral if I had just gotten a regular room that faces the front of the hotel. It was just a bit too noisy for me facing the pool.The staff was awesome... I asked to be moved on the second night and they moved me to the Sirenas side within 30 minutes. The customer service personal were great especially Ricardo who was super.The front desk clerks were terrific, I really needed a quiet place to de-stress, they were so nice to me.
The bar staff on the Sirenas side would have my coffee as I like ready as soon as they saw me and so gracious. I tipped, not huge but these people were worth tipping.
The hotel was really clean I find it hard to believe that it was dirty at all by reading some other peoples comments, I find that ABSURD!!! The food was okay I didnt dine at the al carte places so cant comment on them Im too lazy to go register or worry about having a schedule... I dont live to eat.. I eat to live and so I had a good breakfast after a morning run. I thought the breakfast was really good.Loved the omlettes, the cheeses, breads sweet and plain were really good great variety, good selection of cereals, love the yogurt drink. You can get smoothie with fresh fruit, I also got the lady who blends them for you to use the yogurt in my smoothie...was terrific(noisy blender though) if I went there again I would bring a protein powder.
I ate at the beach barbeque at lunch and supper at the buffet. They have a fun Cuban day on thursdays at the Sirenas Beach Bar and that food was so good, real Cuban food. Honestly thought the food was as good as any where else and better than the Dominican Republic. Its Cuba... the people try to do the best with what they have and it is painful to hear how horrible the tourists are and rude to the Cuban people working their butts off to please us.
I thought the grounds were really nice and clean. The only thing I didnt like was there really isnt a quiet pool, but in the afternoon after 1230 the beach is quiet after they are done with the activities. The night entertainment is top notch, I love the dance shows. I was in Mexico last year and the Cuban shows are better, the dancers!!!! such a level of professionalism, they are so beautiful but I LOVE DANCE so I am biased. The Magic show on the April the 12th was really awesome, the one on the 20th great as well. They have lots of variety in the entertainment, in 2 weeks the shows were different every night.
The hotel is close to downtown, I walked there a few times once even to Calle 15 to the Artisan Market where I bought a great ring and bracelet. But the hop on hop of tourist bus is $5 and you can ride it all day.
For night life: I went out to Calle 62 a few times its so great to hear the live music. Did a few Discos but not late, not into that, but there is a night life in Varadero if thats what you want.
I walked the length of the beach and it really is the best at the Sirenas and Coral. At Breezes and Tuxpan and Breezes Bella Costa the beach is really narrow, heard it was damaged from a hurricane and its recovering.
Make sure you are getting into a real taxi and ask the price before you get in... we asked for a taxi and got an guy that wasnt a real taxi,he drove like a bat out of hell (for more money) to Calle 17 bar, he was trying to get us there before he got stopped by the cops as thats really illegal and they dont have insurance to cover you if something happens.I am not sure they have insurance in Cuba anyway but... its Cuba. I took the bus out to the end of Varadero just to see the newer hotels,I have to say they look pretty nice but I like being close to town. There is construction at the Internacional...its a huge new hotel they are building...I think it will be massive. After two weeks I was almost one of the family there. My maid Karistina was really sweet.
I met some great people from Europe. Its really international at this hotel. The tourists were really mixed not a huge concentration of any one group... say a busload of french canadian students...thank heaven for that. The Coral side is the party side.There is an upgrade to the Los Cosmonauts you can get thats really swish, I met a friend who was staying there and got a tour. Private gym,personal beach palapas, butlers, private bar, sit down menu with service, the best alcohol really good brands. I will try that next time and its not really that much more money. I had and awesome time, I would go back and I have never thought that about a hotel.

Room Tip: Dont get a ocean view room if you like quiet, they will put you in the front facing rooms which are...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank BJ S
Sol C, Director General at Sol Sirenas Coral Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear BJ S. Thank you for your visit and your support, we try to be solid and sometimes we have some gaps we need to avoid. We hope you come back soon. Kind regards. Manuel Vazquez

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stayed in the Serenas section 1 week Apr. 2014. Has to change after the 1st night viewing 3 rooms in the Coral section, rooms here- not even a one star.
Serenas - 4th floor room over looking front actually had an ocean view. Was a good room with linens changed often. What this hotels offers is an incredible beach & lovely grounds & hard working restaurant, bar & front desk staff.
The food staff & bar staff were tops. Look for Cutting, Angel, Yuney & Yuraty at the Lobby Bar - Mediterraneo & they will take good care of you. Nice place to end the day incl good live music.
Waitress at the Timorel buffet, blond hair, name begins with Y has been with the hotel for 10 years & is a gem.
Otherwise, this hotel is in need of a huge update. Simple hygiene is an issue with glasses being rinsed under a tap & reused. Cutlery that had fallen to the floor was picked up & put back on the table. An elevator on the Coral side had what looked like rust or a red substance on it's door while the other was out of service. Elevate doors in Serenas side were never cleaned. New drapes were put up in our room & they did not fit!!! Only food that was good was the grill at the buffett for chicken or fish & the pancake & omelet bar. Smoothie bar was good but lacked bananas.
Overall ,the food was much the same daily & not good. No imagination.
The hotel needs all the furniture in it's common areas refurbished (painted & new cushions).
Also I was surprised at the number of women's washrooms that had toliet seats missing.
Surely a maintenance department would address this.
This could be a 5 star resort with some effort put into making these improvements!

Room Tip: Do not stay on the Coral side, be sure & stay on the Serenas side. Huge difference!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daphne S

Dear Poplar. Greetings from the best beach area in Varadero and thank you for your feedback with compliments and areas to improve, I will share it with all the team. Kind regards. Manuel Vazquez

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We took a group of 35 people to train in Varadero and chose the Sol Sirenas Coral Resort for the combination of quality/service vs. price. It was very good. Excellent service, food was good, nice people. None of the 35 got sick!
The waitress were always ready to serve us and were always friendly. We had some minor issues with a broken toilet and they came to repair even if it was midnight.
Cuba is not luxury but is more about nice people trying to do their best with the fair resources they have.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the gardens are quieter and nicer.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mitch G

Dear Mitch G. We feel very proud all your group left the hotel happy with our services even we had some minor issues. We hope you come back with another group soon. Best regards. Manuel Vazquez