Sol Sirenas Coral Resort
HotelsClick
US$204
Cancelon
5,318 results
All reviewssirenas buffetcoral buffetcoral lobby barsirenas poolhour snack baryounger crowdhave a good timepaellaping pongnight lifekeep in mindwhite sandhot saucegreat tripgreat resortamazing beachjeep safari
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Let me tell you guys about our experience at Sol Sirenas Coral, in Varadero, Cuba. We spend a week there, from Aug 8 to 15, and it was amazing. This is a 2 resorts in one, we stayed in the Coral side, and it awesome. We were in the main building on the 3rd floor and everything was close, 3 mins walk to the beach, 2 mins walk to the pool, buffet, recept and bar. About a 5 mins walk to the Sirenas side of the resort, there you find internet access and some a la carte restaurant, buffet, phone service, club house etc. The Coral, has also a buffet, some a la carte, huge pool with swim up bar, a snack bar, theatre, kids club etc. The buffet restaurants were amazing, it had everything, and the a la carte, also very very good, we went to the Cuban, and Mexican, and we just loved it. We have 2 kids, 15 and 11 and they had no problem with the food or water or nothing. However, our kids are used to traveling and they have experienced many different foods. The rooms I think need a bit updating, however, everything else made up for it, besides the time we spend in the room is so little that we didn’t really care.
We went to Havana and downtown Varadero and it’s the safest place in the world, nobody bothers you. Our son got a cold, we took him to the international clinic and no problem at all, Cuba has excellent doctors and everything was easy, he got his medicine right away and off we went to enjoy the rest of our vacation. This was our fifth time in Cuba and we are planning our sixth trip to Varadero and Havana there is so much to see and experience there. The culture and architecture is just unbelievable. People are so friendly, we had an amazing time, and after a few times in Cuba, Dominican and Mexico and we are looking forward to our next trip to Cuba.
It makes me upset to hear people say, oh there’s nothing to eat, I’m surviving on bread, really? I don’t know what these people expect to find at the buffet…..or a la carte. The snacks bars had fast food like, pizza, sandwiches, and burgers etc, open 24 hrs, so even if the buffet wasn’t enough you always had other choices. I think there should be a forum to complaint about some tourists that go there, get drunk and behave like idiots, have no respect for the people that work there, go to the buffet restaurants in the bathing suits all wet, after they are told not to, I mean just because you paid your way there it doesn’t give you the right to behave like that. Have some class…..!

Room Tip: main builing, you are close to everything.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Paulina G
Sol C, Director General at Sol Sirenas Coral Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear Paulina G. We feel very happy you spent so nice time with us, we hope you come back again soon. Both sections Sirenas and Coral stay open with all services. Kind regards. Manuel Vazquez

Reviewed 14 August 2014

This resort is a combination of two older resorts. Consequently, some facilities are located on one side while others are located completely across the vast expanse of property. The Sirenas side is old and somewhat run down ... ill fitting and poorly locking room doors, poor beds etc. In need of a serious makeover!

Room Tip: Request a recently renovated room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Sandi S
Sol C, Director General at Sol Sirenas Coral Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear Sandi S. Thank you for your review, from your last visit in 2013 we have done some works to improve the property and we will do some more in next months. We hope this changes will be appreciate by our guest. Kind regards. Manuel Vazquez

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I just came back few days ago from this hotel where I stayed for 1 week. My disappointment has to do mainly with the room service. Although it was supposed to change the bathroom towels every day and the bed sheets every other day, that didn't happen. I had to go 2 times to the customer services centre to file the complaint and still the service was almost the same. It only changed a bit after I paid a tip to the room maid. It was also supposed to have every day in the room one bottle of mineral water, but she didn't bring it in 2 days. I had to go out and chase another maid and beg her for a water bottle. I gave a tip to her as well.

Also in the restaurant they forgot to bring me my glass of wine. It came only after I reminded them. It seemed to me that you wouldn't get the proper service without paying a tip to the staff. No good at all!

The rest was fine. I enjoyed especially the sea and the entertainment.

I will not go back there, unless they improve the client service. My guess id that the staff has very poor training in dealing with the customers. They think that they are the god and not the clients who spend hundreds of $ to go there.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Artur K
Sol C, Director General at Sol Sirenas Coral Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Artur K. I am sorry we could not get your expectations, your review will be use to work with my team. Kind regards. Manuel Vazquez

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Sol Sirenas does have a lot going for it. The beach is gorgeous, the pool is immaculately kept and the price is right. And I imagine you could do a whole lot worse than spend a lazy week here...

However...

I found the staff abrasive and entitled. Note, please, that I am a very well traveled individual who has lived in both Africa and Asia, I have been to every continent at least once and am used to being perceived as a dancing dollar sign because of my Caucasian hide. Tourist in every developing country = payday. I get that. The sob story entitled guilt trip I got in Cuba in general and at this resort in particular (from a small but sizeable percentage of the staff...and by no means all) I found particularly tiresome..even by my seasoned standard.

The resort workers are some of the wealthiest of the general population in Cuba and despite their creativity are much less to be pitied than they make themselves out to be.

The food they serve at the resort was not quite as bland as I had been led to believe it would be...and was quite plentiful. But there was very little fresh produce available. All the vegetables were pickled and the fruit was of very low grade. The guavas in particular were awful.

I also recommend steering clear of the complimentary wine they serve with dinner. I have a fairly prole-ish palate and I was still disgusted.

All in all...if your plan is to find a cheap place to lie on the beach, lounge at the pool, sip the world's finest rum and smoke the world's finest cigars...by all means... come to this resort. Just don't expect to do so in peace without guilt trips and random Cubans performing mundane, unimpressive, unsolicited services and expecting healthy tips for their pains.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Danuel M
Sol C, Director General at Sol Sirenas Coral Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Danuel M. Thank you for your visit, we appreciate your comments coming from your experience in different destinations, they will be shared with our team, we hope you come back to Cuba and maybe you visit us again. We will do it better. Kind regards. Manuel Vazquez

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel. It wasn't perfect but if you go with a good attitude, you will have a great time.
Important to note, only the Sirenas side was open during our stay. Coral side was closed for low season.

Rooms: our room was a good size but in dire need of updating. The washroom was pretty grungy. The maids did a good job of trying to keep it clean.

Food: I was pleasantly surprised at how good the food was at this resort. Always something to choose from at the buffets, and both the Italian and Mexican a la Carte's were very good. Enjoyed lunches by the pool snack bar, yummy burgers. We had especially good service in the buffet by Yudisledys. She was the sweetest.

Pool: a bit disappointed in the pool. It was too small for the amount of guests. We did walk to the coral side where the pool looked big and much nicer but it was closed. If open, would've been great.

Beach: what more can I say about the beach?! It's PERFECT. Turquoise water, light sand, very wide. Never had a problem finding shade.

Entertainment: animation staff was good, always something going on. The nighttime shows were great. Special thanks to Adrian, his aqua gym classes were our favourite.

Bars: the drinks were plentiful, and if you're a piña colada lover, you MUST get it made by Yuriaty at the lobby bar. Unbelievable! So yummy.

The common areas of this hotel need some updating. Two out of three outdoor showers/foot wash stations were not working. Loose rails on stairs, dirty jacuzzi. Lots of little things that could easily be rectified but would make a big difference.

Overall, we enjoyed our time at the Sol Sirenas. We would come back if the price was right and the Coral side pool was open. The staff really does make this resort!

• Stayed: July 2014
8  Thank Kimberly P
Sol C, Director General at Sol Sirenas Coral Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear kimberly1177. It is a pleasure to get your recommendation, thank you for your support. Coral site is been opened today so our guest can now choose for any of the two sections in the hotel. Take care and see you soon. Manuel Vazquez