“Good vacation !!”

Ranked #57 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Hamilton, Canada
“Good vacation !!”
Reviewed 19 April 2012

This was our second time in Varadero,but the first one in this hotel,the location is good,the beach is super nice,the hotel need some painting and uprate the furniture in the rooms but it was really clean .we had the room 814 with a nice balcony and nice view at the beginning they gave us one with no balcony but next day it was one available and they change us to the one with balcony and we were pleased ,most of the staff was very friendly if you treat them good they will be nice to you.The food was good,better than at the barcelo marina palace ( we stayed there the first time) this time we didn't want to spend a lot of money that's why we chose this one this time and it was a good value for your money, just remember it is a 3 star hotel so don't expect to much,bring your shampoo and conditioner cuz they wont give you any and they don't have a mini fridge or hair dryer and you have to buy your own water .I had a big coffee mug with me so it was a good idea so my beer it was cold and I didn't have to go to refill it many times.If you give tips to the bar tender at the beginning he will be happy and treat you very good.Same at the buffet ,beside the hotel it is a convenience store and you can buy wine,rum etc really cheap,at night some times it is noisy because there is a bar close to the hotel and have a really loud Dj . but after all we did have a good and relaxing time .if you don't like your room and ask the front desk in a nice way they will changed but if you are mad and not nice they wont help you.

Room Tip: room 814 was nice.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
14 Thank Gonzalez199

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Ottawa Ontario
Reviewed 12 April 2012

This was my first trip to Cuba. I was a little reluctant to stay at a 2.5 star however this resort exceeded my expectations. I went with 2 other friends. I stayed in my own room and they stayed together in another room. My room was clean, bright and very spatious!! Reading other reviews, both rooms had toilet seats and no leaking from the roof! The staff was very friendly and courteous. The food was good as well. Always provided a great variety of choices. Let's be honest, after 1 week of the same buffet it does become a little tiresome to eat the same thing over and over again! The beach was not very far away (right across the street). Georgous beach and water!!!! Lots of chairs, lots of room!!! All together, I would stay 100% again at Sunbeach Hotel!! VERY satisfied!!!! :)

Room Tip: Request a room with a balcony so that you can hang your towels and bathing suit outside to dry!!! :)
8 Thank Joelle C
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I stayed March 25th – April 1st in room 510. It was my first trip to Cuba. I went with a friend - we’re both 23 year old females.

Room – Clean, balcony, nice view. Our toilet had a seat but at first was not flushing. We discovered that it worked once we lifted the toilet bowl lid. Not a big deal but of course there are people out there who would automatically develop a negative view of the resort on something so minor. Sometimes issues that people complain about on this website blow my mind. I always think about the bigger picture of how fortunate we are to come to their country and lavish in its beauty meanwhile not too far away, they’re living in shacks. Yes you’re paying money… but still, you’re in Cuba, relax! Frustrating issues can arise anywhere you go… it is a part of life!

Food – I was worried at first since Cuba is not known for their food but I found myself satisfied. If you’re a fast food junky or a fine dining individual, you may not be so impressed… otherwise, you’ll be fine. Breakfast has a lot of eggs (have an omelette – you can have cheese, peppers, ham or onions added). Other food items included beef, chicken, pork, fish, shrimp, scalloped potatoes, mashed potatoes, green beans, corn, rice, squash, bread, butter, tomatoes, cucumbers, small bananas, pineapple, pancakes, French toast (they have a strawberry sauce instead of maple syrup), yogurt (really good!!!), baked goods (not my favourite… although there were these rolls that did not have cinnamon but looked like cinnamon buns that were really good), rice pudding, jello and the best part… ice cream! Sometimes the food is cooked differently (some days I loved the fish, others not so much) and during the 3 hour window their meals are available, they’ll bring out different items. Their coffee is also really good too if you’re into coffee. Make sure you book the a la carte – you can find the reservation table in the lobby near their excursion table. They serve you a lot of food during that meal, so pace yourself!

Beach – Absolutely beautiful! You have to cross a street, then you pass by an outdoor/open restaurant and then you’re there………… it’s not far. Then again I like to take the stairs wherever I go but even if you’re lazy :P it’s not a big deal!

Advice – Buy a bottle of water for 2 pesos at the store located off to the right before you cross the street to head to the beach. Ask a staff member to fill it with filtered water at the bar by the pool throughout your stay. The location of this resort was awesome - you’re able to see many locals. I’d suggest bringing some candy/toys to hand out to the kids on the streets. There is a deposit for towels of 15 pesos (you can use this towards the 25 pesos departure tax you’ll have to pay when leaving the country). You can also buy a key to use their safe for 2 pesos a day. I do not recommend using the internet. We couldn’t check our e-mails or facebook. I tried searching on google and it took a very long time for things to load. It was 4 pesos for half an hour.

I could probably keep writing but I’ll leave it at that. Overall I was impressed with this resort. Many people told me not to stay at a resort lower than a 4 star in Cuba. I’m glad I went ahead and stayed here instead. You can use that extra money you save to give to the locals… I hope you enjoy your trip too!

9 Thank Jessica S
London ON
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Just returned from Sunbeach. It was ok but nothing special. No toilet seats in the rooms, the ceiling in the bathroom leaked all week when the people above us showered, we did report this, no one came to look at it. The resort is old and VERY tired. Some good cleaning of windows and the elevators would lift the impression higher. We certainly did not go hungry but the food was the poorest we have ever had in Cuba.

There are not enough chairs by the pool or on the beach or at the nightly entertainment. We just paid the man on the beach a peso a day to have chairs for us and that worked just fine! The beach is lovely, no bathrooms here at all and the resort is a good trek back across the street to get to one. We were able to use the bathroom at the restaurant right on the street though, which was helpful.

If you plan ahead and have spending money to go out and about you will not be disappointed with this hotel. There is a great little bar at the corner that makes great sandwiches and has nightly entertainment and beer for 2 pesos. The wait staff here are great! The restaurant right across the street has great atmosphere. We went to Al Capone's for lunch it was lovely, great food and right on the terrace was a beautiful way to spend the afternoon.

If you get in a taxi BE SURE to know the cost and pay up front! We made the mistake of not doing this and we were charged 35.00 pesos for our 15 minute ride!! And the driver wanted us to buy him a drink too! The bus is a great way to get around and only 5 pesos for the entire day. We went to the the big mall on the strip enjoyed a drink at a bar, and had bruschetta at pizza pizza...it was so delicious! And the pizzas there looked divine and were huge. We also did the horse and buggy it was 10 pesos per person, a nice way to spend an hour and a half. We enjoyed some time at the park and in seeing things off the beaten path.

There are many vendors on the street, many little areas to stop and buy trinkets. We spent some time at the market.

If you can get this hotel for 350 to 400 dollars it is a good deal. The rooms were kept clean and where could you possibly go for a week for that price. If you are paying more than that do some shopping as you can get better hotels for not much more, and if you are willing to wait until the true last minute the deals are phenomenal. I see on selloffvacations that if you booked this resort today to go on the upcoming weekend it is 97.00 that is worth it! So if you are looking at it for a month from now I would wait.

We had no issues with staff. You just have to remember that they are not coached in hospitality the way we see our fast paced environment here. You may have to wait but if you ask and don't wait to be served we had no problems. These people work hard and do a good job with the tools they are given. You will even find some that truly like what they are doing and will no matter what go out of their way to entertain and help.

Best thing about this resort is the location.

6 Thank mrgandcat
BlueBayBelleVue, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Gran Caribe Sunbeach, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear client,

Thank you for your wonderful remarks. I have reviewed your comments with our staff and and we sincerely regret that we didn´t handle the leak matter better. You may be happy to know that as a result of feedback like yours several changes and improvements were implemented.

Thank you.
Kind regards,
BelleVue SunBeach team

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2012

It was our first trip to Cuba and I was unsure what to expect by reading the reviews. I did go knowing that I was not going to a 5 start resort and so I didnt have big expectations. I was pleasantly surprised with the Sunbeach, yes it is older and need of repairs, but I thought it was clean and we had excellent service.There was plenty of food and the variety wasnt bad. many of our friends who stayed at 4 and 5 start resorts had alot of complaints about their food. The maids n waitresses were great, the service could not have been better. There wasnt alot of shows or activities but we had our owned activities planned, we did many tours. We did check out the show there one night and it was good. Our only complaint would be that the elevators had some problems, there was only 1 working for part of our stay. We did get a great deal on our trip and it was well worth it. I recommend using the Sunbeach if you are looking for good value for your money and if you want to do your own thing and tour and explore the area. The beach was amazing, and the people were so friendly in varadero. We went out alot and felt very safe. Sunbeach is so close to many markets and we took advantage of that. The pool at the hotel was very clean and the bars had a wide variety of drinks. Cant wait to go back again!

6 Thank Elaine S
Orangeville, Canada
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We booked this about 10 days before departure for a very good price (the taxes were more than the vacation package). We went with low expectations and were pleasantly surprised with some things.

Pros- the rooms were clean, the restaurant staff worked hard in the buffet to clear dishes and bring drinks but were understaffed, bartenders also worked hard but at times were understaffed, a la carte was pretty good food, the barbecue at the snack bar was real good, the beach is amazing soft sand and no problem getting chairs at beach or pool if you go by 9 or 10, prime location you are a very short walk to good restaurants bars and craft markets.

Cons- the buffet was small and people were lined up to get food before it opened if you were "late" the food had been picked through pretty good and sometimes it was a while before more came, the bars didn't have water at times and the draft beer wasn't great or cold, rooms are small (who cares) internet is very slow. Some people were constantly budding in line and quite rude, beds are a little hard.

The pros outweighed the cons.

Book this place if you get a good price and just want a headquarters for your trip and are willing to leave the all inclusive and wander a bit. I went fishing at the canal, we went to Havana one day in a taxi and walked around and went to a pro baseball game, did the craft market, did a horse buggy tour and went to several restaurants.

Room Tip: Get a balcony.
3 Thank Canadian64
cascapedia quebec
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Just back from another great stay at the sun beach hotel in varadero.
It's our 3rd time there and its like a 2nd home.
Love the location, Love the beach, staff are great, rooms are clean, food is ok.
I see some bad reviews on here, i can only imagine the people who wrote them.
I have met many many people at this hotel who return every year and love it.
Its a great hotel for the price....
We are going there again next year...

4 Thank fiddlehead56