“Extremely Recommended”

Ranked #6 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Toronto, Canada
“Extremely Recommended”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We have been guests of the Melia Varadero Hotel in Cuba 5 times. Through our discussions with other international visitors to Cuba, it is our firm conviction that the Melia Varadero is unequivocally superior with regards to food, service and accommodation. During our recent visit, March 9th to March 16th 2014, we met a couple from Montreal, Canada, who has stayed at the Melia Varadero approximately 20 times.
We vow to return to the Melia Varadero because they offer an all-inclusive international cuisine with the highest standard and professional service. The hotel staff are polite, friendly, genuinely caring, and several employees speak multiple languages such as Spanish, English, French, Italian, Russian, etc. The rooms are kept very clean on a daily basis with fresh towels, bed sheets, and toiletries. The premises are stunning with marble throughout. Moreover, the hotel is equipped with several types of Restaurants, Pools, a Mini-Club Daycare Facility, Computer Game Room, Internet Office, Gymnasium, Souvenir Shops, Foreign Exchange, Basketball & Tennis Court, Nightly Entertainment Shows, Boat Rides and regularly scheduled fun activities on both the pool deck and beach for everyone.
It is worth mentioning that the Melia Varadero is located next to the Plaza Americas Shopping Centre and minutes from downtown Varadero City. Taxi service, buses, bicycles and motor scooters are readily available.
Writing this Trip Advisory has been an extreme pleasure, particularly since we continue to hear derogatory comments from various individuals about the food and service in Cuba. Our question is always: “In which Hotel did you stay?” Or “If you have never been to Cuba, please don’t judge”. We cannot stress enough that the Melia Varadero deserves the highest commendation that a 5 Star Hotel has earned. Congratulations!

Claudio and Monia
Canada & Italy

6 Thank Claudio Monia C
DIR-MELIA-VARADERO, Director General at Melia Varadero, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear friends,
Your kind and complimentary comments have filled us with satisfaction, and on behalf of all the staff want to thank you. Reviews like yours encourage us to continue in our efforts of achieving excellence in service. Thank you very much for your visit and we hope to have the pleasure to meet you again, you will be always welcome at MELIA Varadero.
Best Regards
Gabriel García

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 17 March 2014

My husband and I spent the second week of our honeymoon at the Melia Varadero. Overall we enjoyed our stay, and it's great value, although there were a few little bugbears.

We'd paid extra for a sea view room, but on arrival we found our room was on the first floor with a view primarily of a red rooftop. This was quickly resolved and we were moved to the fourth floor. This room did technically have a sea view, but the sea is actually a little further away than we expected and so from the balcony you do feel you're mostly overlooking the car park. We didn't spend much time in the room or on the balcony, so it was fine (and probably better than a pool view room) but I would question if it's worth paying extra. Additionally, we were in 'wing' 7, which is more or less above reception, so we found it quite noisy as this is where all the coaches and buses pull up for loading and unloading of guests.

The room itself was fine - we had a flat screen TV and a digital safe (whereas the room on the first floor had a much older, smaller TV and a key lock safe). The bathroom layout is slightly odd, with the toilet squashed in beside (and facing) the bathtub, and the air conditioning was very loud and all three settings were basically the same - it's either on or off, so we were forever going from too cold to too warm. It's not a big room, but the bed is big and comfortable, and there is good storage space.

Most hotels at Varadero seem to be all-inclusive, and having never done this before we weren't sure what to expect. We were really pleasantly surprised - EVERYTHING is included in terms of food and drink. There are plenty of bars and drink stands, inside and outside, and while the quality of the drinks varies (a pina colado will taste different depending which bar and which barman makes it) the choice is incredible. We mostly ate in the buffet restaurant, which was brilliant - the buffet is the same every day, but very extensive. Cuba is not renowned for its food, and in particularly the vegetables and the wine aren't great, but we didn't expect the buffet to include pasta and meat cooked in front of you while you wait. We had breakfast, lunch and dinner there several times, and it was a great option. The Guantanamera cafe is open 24/7 and the pizzas, baguettes and burgers are fine - it's got a nice little terrace which is a good place to shelter from the sun for a bit. We had lunch at Trinidad one day too, which is in a beautiful spot right by the sea even if the food isn't spectacular.

There are three a la carte restaurants which are also included. We were told on arrival that these needed reservations, and those reservations can only be made 9-12am. What we weren't told is that you really need to book 2-3 days ahead to have any chance of getting a table. This was a shame as it meant we missed out on trying the Fuerteventura restaurant, which looked like the most varied and nice of the three. Trinidad isn't really a la carte - it's a set menu - and the speciality is lobster. It was okay, but we had much better lobster the day before on a day trip. The selling point of Trinidad is the setting and the service. The Steak House is similar - it's a nice, intimate place and the service is great. The steak is average but the sides aren't great, and the dessert portions are small! Both the Steak House and Trinidad had live music, which was a bit louder than necessary. The a la cartes are nice to have a change from the buffet, but we were glad not to be paying extra for them, so go with appropriate expectations.

Some of the best food we had in the hotel was actually on the Saturday, 'Cuba day', when there was a BBQ and buffet outside near the pool. This was quite tasty, and worth the long queues.

The hotel has a lot going on in a compact area. The pool is big, with areas for kids, families and adults and several different sunbathing terrace areas around it. The bar in the middle of the pool area is really handy. The palm trees are beautiful, but maybe there are a few too many as you have to chase the sun a bit throughout the day! There's a games area and stage, if you're interested in table tennis tournaments, yoga and so on. And a small area with some souvenir huts, which is good if you aren't going to be going out of the hotel much. We tended to set ourselves up near the pool but head to the sea when we wanted to cool off - it's just a minute walk down some steps. The beach is nice, plenty of space and lovely sand. The sea was quite warm in March, but mostly quite rough. It's on the Atlantic coast rather than the Caribbean coast, and we had some windy days so the red flag was up. We still paddled but only really had one day where the sea was calm enough to swim properly.

Compared to the Melia Habana, this hotel feels a bit shabby and dated. It's clean and fine, just a bit faded really. Many of the sunbeds are saggy and could do with being replaced, for example. We also found the service more variable than at the Melia Habana. The restaurant staff were friendly and very good at keeping drinks topped up over meals, but tables aren't cleared and re-set very quickly, and the service at the bars is sometimes quite slow. The housekeeping staff are lovely, and we had no complaints there. But the service at reception was really worse than expected. Just quite curt and not very friendly, long waits, and not much information.

Varadero is a great place to spend a week. We spent a day jumping on and off the tourist bus, exploring a couple of local caves and ecological reserve and the craft market in Varadero town. We also did a day's jeep safari, which took us further afield and included snorkelling, freshwater swimming, shopping, speedboats and so on. The hotel is next to one of the peninsula's main shopping centres - it's small but nice to have a supermarket, bank, few shops and pharmacy close by.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the Melia Varadero. The all inclusive package is much better than we expected and great value, and the location of the hotel is excellent. The rooms, food and service are average rather than 5*, but we had a lovely week to finish off our honeymoon.

Room Tip: As mentioned above, I'm not sure it's worth paying for a sea view room. The sea is further a...
1 Thank StephanieKaraolis
DIR-MELIA-VARADERO, Director General at Melia Varadero, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Hello dear guests
I´m very pleased to know how great was your honeymoon in our resort, thanks for choosing us to spend such a special date and for your detailed report. I´m sure you will come back to revive everything again; I hope it will be soon.
Regards,
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We were in a group of friends in our late 20s. The idea was to go to Cuba and be able to get to know the real cuba, go to all the tourist places, and of course go out at night and enjoy music and good company.

This hotel is full of tourists from Russia, Canada, Italy, etc. It´s 95%+ families and older people. Not exactly the best first stop for our trip considering our perfil. The best thing would have been to go to Habana first and then Varadero to relax.

The hotel food is not very good... I had to stick to the fruit and pasta. Take note that I have eaten in several parts of the world and I am not afraid to venture into new things. This was not the case, it was just that the food was not good at the buffet. We did not have a chance to go eat at the specialized restaurants which I hear are very good so I cannot comment on that.

As far as comfort, they are ok. Definitely not 5 stars. Maybe 4 stars in comparison. The hotels were clean though the bed seemed like I was sleeping on the floor and the sheets were like cardboard.

The beach is magnificent. Overall, I won´t be returning to this specific hotel since I saw there were several better options. Though, it is nice.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank m v
DIR-MELIA-VARADERO, Director General at Melia Varadero, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Guest,
I am very sorry for your disappointment with the food served at the Buffet, I apologize that we were not able to fulfill your expectations, but as you read here, the most part of our clients find our offer satisfactory.
Thank you for the time taken to write these comments and If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate in contact us
Cordially,
The Management
Beaverton, Canada
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Just returned home from a fabulous vacation at the melia varadero. Words cannot express how much we enjoyed our time there. The staff are all wonderful and happy, the property was clean and the food had something for everyone. A good variety and very attentive wait staff to help with whatever you may need. The beach was one of the best I've ever seen. The bar at the ocean serves a fantastic BBQ lunch that I would highly recommend trying out at lesst a couple times. The best part of my vacation was the care my daughter received from the medical staff at the resort. My daughter became ill with a throat and ear infection with a fever and discomfort. I took her to see the doctor and they attended to her right away in the most caring, professional manner. They were all very understanding and genuinely concerned. I was given the appropriate medications and in no time my daughter was good as new. The staff fat the kids club were also great. My daughter had a wonderful time there and always wanted to go. Gretta and Yanet were awesome with the kids always doing something with them. I found the staff to be very appreciative of everything and the most friendly. They really go above and beyond to ensure a great vacation. Everything is in very close proximity and beautiful views of the ocean from poolside. I would recommend this resort for all age groups, as it has so much to offer. If you need anything while you are there they are very accomadating and do there best to help you. Will definetly be going back!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tara W
DIR-MELIA-VARADERO, Director General at Melia Varadero, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear guest:
What a beautiful review! I would like to express to you our warmest thanks for the compliments on service and hospitality received. I hope to have the pleasure to meet you again in our hotel on a future occasion and thank you very much for recommending us.
Best regards
Abbotsford, Canada
Reviewed 13 March 2014

My Husband and I stayed at this hotel from March 1st thru 8th.

Prior to leaving we emailed the hotel to pre-reserve our a-la-carte dinners, and also to request a more updated room. We had upgraded to the Superior Ocean View Room and were given rom 2316 (2nd floor, 3rd wing, 16th room) wings 2-5 should offer better ocean views, 2,3 & maybe 4 should also have pool views. The room was very nice, large and upgraded and had an amazing view of the pool and Ocean, and extremely large terrace with lounge chairs to enjoy the view. We had mentioned this was our 20th anniversary we were offered an additional al-la-carte and bottle of Champagne in our room (very nice).

AS for the al-la-cartes we preferred the international and steak house, the Trinidad was our least favorite but really all were pretty good, and the buffet has a large selection of different foods (pizza, fries, pasta, breads, seafoods, meats etc...) overall the food exceeded our expectations.

We have been to the Mayan Rivieria a number of times staying in 4-5 star hotels and I would say that our room was quite comparable and food was almost as good, we always found something to eat my husband loved the selection of cheeses and prosciutto at the buffet. as well as the beach snack bar with grilled veggies, sausage, fish and meats at lunch time. Luis in the buffet was so gracious, always smiling and wishing you a good day, he went over and above everday and worked so hard.

We would definitely recommend this hotel, the only downfall was the distance from the beach and pool to the washrooms......one day at the pool we saw people drinking for 5-6 hours at the pool bar....all in the pool and no one left to go to the washroom....ick!! I am sure that many use the ocean as a washroom as well as it is a bit of a walk back to the nearest washroom located in the hotel.

Also the game organizer on the beach were amazing they worked very hard to get people involved in the beach volleyball and water aerobics....quite entertaining even just to watch.

Room Tip: Updated Superior Ocean View Rooms, are located at the end of the wings on floors 2-4, wings 2,3,4...
1 Thank Kathy F
Hello dear Guest
What a beautiful review and what a nice pictures! Thank you so much!
We are extremely glad that you enjoyed your holiday with us.
Do not hesitate to contact us when you decide to come again to our hotel and I remain at your entire disposal,
Best regards
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 12 March 2014

First things First...Melia Varadero is not a 5 star...more like a 2-3 for sure, it is old and really needs some work. They are doing some renovations but really needs some TLC...We stayed in 4509 and our bathroom was disgusting, our air conditioner made so much noise we could not sleep with it on, we had to watch for a maid so we could get a face cloth, we had no water pressure at most times in the morning, seemed fine in the later afternoon, none of our phones worked to dial any of the people we were with. We have been three times ,loved it, but this time 14 of us went and I was very disappointed that I spoke so highly of Cuba to the friends that have never been. No one will go back that is for sure. The entertainment staff, well they are amazing, Aldo was so much fun and we all loved him, he really made our trip. The food was OK, Cuban food is all I can say, more then half of us got sick. The a le cartes are just OK....Mind you no one goes there for the food, but you need to eat, We have travelled a lot, and I have to say that this was the most disappointing resort. Now for the thing that we all find really bad was, the piano bar area where we all hung out at night, has two ladies washrooms, well by about 8 every night, they were out of toilet paper, soap and paper towels, gross. Many tourist as well as the 7 girls went to the main desk to tell them, to NEVER nothing being done.....we all had to use our own Kleenex and hand sanitizer . Every night same thing off to the front desk....A few of the workers were very rude and we talked to other travelers that said the same thing, they just did not care...One would think they would want to keep the travelers happy, but no way. I have never written a complaint ever in all the resorts we have gone to, (about 15 or more) Mexico,Jamaica, Abruba, DR . but felt that people needed to be aware of this resort. We all did have fun, made the best of a bad resort. Feel free to ask any questions, and I will be more then honest with you.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.....
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Sandie 4509
We are deeply sorry and concerned, due the fact that, unfortunately , we were far from meeting your expectations, let alone exceeding them, as it is our constant aiming. Unfortunately, this was not your case. Although this is no consolation to you, we will make every possible effort for this situation not to be repeated. You may rest assured of that.
One thing that I would kindly ask you to reconsider, is that you please give Cuba another chance. Please do not judge Cuba for your misfortunes at The Melia Varadero, the Country diserves more than that
As far as we are concerned, we will keep on trying hard to be one of the favorites resorts of the discerning Canadian Travelers, which are our main market, accounting for more 33 per cent of our visitors. Last Wednesday, March 12th, as every Wednesday, we celebrate a dinner for the guests that have been at Melia Varadero, on more than two occasions. We had twenty four people around the table. All of them Canadians . A couple had been at The Melia Varadero for 20 consecutive years.
The aspect .which I feel more sorry is that, unfortunately, we did not meet. Some problems would have been solved. I will personally speak with our Head Housekeeper, with our Maintenance Manager and with The Front Office Manageress. I will check room 4509 personally. I will congratulate the Entertainment Manager on your behalf… And will make sure that our Chefs improve the standards of the food that they prepare.
No matter where your Holyday Travels takes you , your family and friends, enjoy every minute of it.
Bradford West Gwillimbury, Canada
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We just returned on March 6th from this great resort. We can not say enough about the staff, the entertainment team, especially Carlos, the food ....all very impressive. The hotel, the rooms and the grounds are clean and well kept.. This is our 4th time to Cuba and each time we go we like to try different resorts but we were so impressed by this resort that we can honestly say that we will return next year.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lynn S
DIR-MELIA-VARADERO, Director General at Melia Varadero, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear guest,
We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and , it a pleasure to know that over all you spent a wonderful vacation in our resort. I can see that you enjoyed the food and the staff made their best to please you. We will be great to have you back next year
Best Regards,