Melia Varadero
US$182
US$91
US$168
5,592 results
All reviewstrinidad restaurantpiano barlevel loungelevel guestspaella restaurantlas resesla habanaa la carte restaurantsocean viewhour cafelobsterfifth floorall inclusive hotelinternational restaurantoceanview roompizzatex mex
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Stayed here 2 nights as part of a week tour. When I first arrived I felt like I had landed in an ant hill - there were so many people and a lot of activity. One of the pools had a volley ball net in the middle of it. The next day things settled down and I found a lovely thatched hut that I had all to myself facing the ocean. There are many covered outdoor patios, and a lovely place to have a wedding ceremony. The swimming in the ocean was excellent with hard sand, clean bottom, clear water. The food was edible but nothing to write home about. However the Trinidad restaurant had the best fish that I had in Cuba. Annoying that men have to wear long pants for a couple of the restaurants. Many complaints about the air conditioning. My room had a distant ocean view but faced east. I think not having the afternoon sun helped to keep my room cool. The room was comfortable with tile floors, nice amenities in a clear zippered pouch, and coffee maker. There weren't other hotels in view. There was a small shopping centre next door that had a few interesting shops, and a small book store and post office. One night the entertainment was a bit risqué for children. The second night had some very good dancing and was entertaining.

Room Tip: East side might be cooler.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Beverlz
DIR-MELIA-VARADERO, Director General at Melia Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Beverlz,
We are very happy that you enjoyed everything in the hotel. Thank you for placing your trust on us and for emphasizing the good quality of the fish. I’m really sorry about your inconveniences with the air condition, we apologize, we know that some problems would have been solved. Do not hesitate to contact us when you decide to come again, I remain at your entire disposal.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

There are good and bad points relating to this hotel.
Check in was quick and friendly. Lobby is impressive. Room was well appointed, nice bathroom, kettle, TV etc. The air con leaked but no big deal. A fuse blew within an hour of my arrival but was fixed by maintenance in no time. A bottle of water in the mini fridge had been presumably left behind by the previous occupant as it was open and half empty.
The buffet restaurant was well stocked at all times. Staff members Judith and Gustavo were particularly friendly and attentive. The Steak House however was not so good. Sandy, the waiter, was great but the food portions were very small, so small in fact I ended up at the buffet 2 hours later.
The grounds were well kept, the beach spotless, and pool area well staffed. 10 CUC per hour for wifi is exorbitant. The biggest issue with the hotel (and it's partially my own fault) was the currency exchange. I handed in 300 Euro and received 321.75 CUC in return. Only when I was checking out did I notice the exchange rates posted at the far end of reception. I had been given 250 worth of CUC not 300. Pointless complaining 2 days later. It did leave a bitter taste in my mouth as I left for the airport.
Would I recommend this hotel? Possibly, but I'd have potential customers forewarned.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank BigPauly
DIR-MELIA-VARADERO, Director General at Melia Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Sir,
I truly appreciate your comments as it helps us develop our services and hotel, your big traveling experience deserve my utmost respect. As you have read here, we have difficulties with some air conditioners, in the coming days we expect new machines that will help us. We would like to apologize for this issue; we really are working on them. Personally I'll check with our housekeeper what happened with the bottle of water in the room that was undoubtedly a serious oversight. I have spoke with our Front Desk Manager about the mistake in the currency exchange, she assured me that would not be repeated. I sincerely apologize for this issue. About the Steak House, we will forward your suggestion regarding the food portions to our Executive Chef.
As for the Internet connection and rates, there is nothing we can do to change it, for the reasons that I think you probably know. We feel sorry that our hotel was not up to your expectation, if you decide to give us another chance; please do not hesitate to contact us.
Wish you all the best
Kind Regards
The Management.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Brought my family to Cuba for the first time. The resort have exceeded our expectations. The service was impeccable and there were abundance of food and variety to choose from. Love the fresh and tasty seafood. We thoroughly enjoyed the meals in the restaurant with live quartet music. Proximity to the beach was a plus and the beach was beautiful with places for snorkelling. The trip around Veradero on the double decker bus was enjoyable and only cost $5 Cuban convertible and it allows on and off all day long. We took a guided tour to Havana with a tour company called Cuban Connections that we found on Internet. The whole day trip to Havana was much cheaper than the tour offered at the hotel. We got to ride in a classic 57' Buick with air condition. Our tour guide was fantastic. We were treated to a history lesson of Cuba which we find very interesting. A trip to Havana is a must for anyone visiting Cuba for the first time and to see the beautiful architectures which is being restored to its original glory thanks to UNESCO. Will definitely visit Cuba again in the future.

Room Tip: Anything on the 4th and 5th floor with a beautiful view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Larry63o
DIR-MELIA-VARADERO, Director General at Melia Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Larry,
I am so pleased to know you have so much enjoyed your time with us. Thank you very much for emphasizing the good quality of the food and service.
Thank you for placing your trust on us, do not hesitate to contact us when you decide to come again to our MELIA VARADERO, I remain at your entire disposal.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 30 July 2014

This was our first visit to Cuba and we stayed at Melia Varadero for ten days in July, having spent four days in Havana. We honestly cannot fault the hotel; the staff are delightful - extremely friendly, attentive and efficient. A truly impressive variety of restaurants and food is always available and the activities are very well organised. The beach is lovely, with good facilities and lots of shade available. A note on the air conditioning in the bedrooms (I see there have been comments before) - it does work, but perhaps is not always as cooling as some would like. We did mention the issue to reception staff and we were immediately and efficiently moved to a different room. We would have no hesitation in highly recommending the hotel to friends and families.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Sarah M
DIR-MELIA-VARADERO, Director General at Melia Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Sarah,
Thank you very much for posting your comments on Trip Advisor about our hotel and we are very happy that you enjoyed everything. I’m really sorry about your inconveniences with the air condition, we apologize, we know that some problems would have been solved. I personally speak with our Head Housekeeper and our Maintenance Manager and inform you that we are working on them. Thank you very much for recommending us. Do not hesitate to contact us when you decide to come again to our MELIA VARADERO and I remain at your entire disposal,

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We ve stayed here over 10 times in the last 4 years. Overall we have had a great time. The management, particularly the Spanish boss,and staff ,are very attentive and there is always something to do. It s a shame they closed down the disco last year..which was a great meeting spot, but hopefully they will reinstate it in due corse.
It s fair to say that the hotel is showing signs of age but this is more than reflected in the hotel price. Food was excellent and lately has become good.Hotel is just the right size, not too big or too small.Beach is great. Great cross section of nationalities with more South Americans than the other hotels. Beware the hotel shop( run by an outside contractor ) that always overcharges for cigarettes...just tell them what the price is and it wont happen again. Finally it is in my opinion by far the best moderate priced hotel in Varadero.. Our other experience in Varadero was in Iberostar Varadero which was the worst hotel I have ever experienced...you ve been warned!

Stayed: February 2014
5  Thank robert186525
DIR-MELIA-VARADERO, Director General at Melia Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Robert,
Thank you so much for your generosity! What beautiful comments! We have taken note of comments about the disco, you be sure that we are looking for new options. Thank you very much for emphasizing for recommending us. I do hope to see you again for your 11th time with us; you will be always welcome at MELIA Varadero.
With warmest regards,