We have been to many resorts over the past 17 years and this one is right up there with the best and one that we would go back to.
Just to let you know, we are not complainers, we enjoy most of our trips no matter what the issue.
So lets look at the Pros and Cons:
Staff are super friendly and helpful. From Franciso the security guard on the beach to our excellent housekeeper to our concierge. Even the general manager greeted us and saw us off! Food is very good, good variety and always something to eat. Great pizza! Beach is immaculate and attendant to find you shade. Entertainment was also very good with bands playing by the pool, excellent pianist in the piano bar and nightly shows. Room air conditioner was very quiet and kept our room comfy. Room was nicely appointed with a view of a courtyard and pool. Ask and they will do their best to comply, we asked for champagne and we had a bottle sitting in our room.
Not much. They allow smoking all around the outside of the lobby bar and there is a tunnel effect in the whole area so when it is busy you cannot get away from the smokers. Luckily the piano bar is non-smoking. Steaks, like other areas we have been in Cuba, are not tender like here, tasty, but a little chewy. Also their bacon is more like fatty ham, not that there is a problem with that! Wifi is very slow and you purchase it with an hourly card, then have to key in an id and password everytime you want to use it. They need to come up to the 21st century on this and include wifi or at least sell you the week. I know, we go to get away from this stuff but when you run a business, it's necessary to stay in touch.
Trip - to Havana:
Nice to see but very sad to see the number of beggars including parents who send in their small children. Guide told us not to give them money but it was difficult. Long day on the bus. Architecture and historical sites are interesting but don't think I would go back. Take toilet paper!
All in all excellent trip except for the 4 hour wait at Varadero airport. Thanks SunWing and Royal Hicacos!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled within lush tropical gardens and just steps from the azure blue waters and powder white sand of Cuba's finest beach lies the award-winning Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa, an Adults Only Luxury All Inclusive Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Holiday Gems, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, Travelbag, LoveHolidays, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK) and Cancelon so you can book your Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Royal Hicacos Varadero
- Sandals Cuba
- Sandals Royal Hicacos Resort Spa
- Royal Hicacos