“2nd time to Palma Real some better some worse, still good deal for money paid”
Review of Hotel Palma Real

Hotel Palma Real
Ranked #50 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This was our second trip to this hotel and our 8th time in Cuba. The hotel is located on the edge of town so there is easy access to everything. It is close to many nightclubs so does get qute noisy especially on the weekend.

We arrived on Sunday evening to a quiet resort, the lobby has been updated and is more comfortable than before. The rooms were just ok but everything worked well enough. There is a mini fridge and phone in each room. Phone calls to Canada can be made directly from your room phone and paid at the reception counter. I called home twice and the cost for 2 quick calls was about $12 pesos total. There is a snack bar open all night and the lobby bar is also open 24 hours. You can get coffee there 24-7.

The staff are mostly very good, we did have one front desk lady who was rude and told me no calls to Canada from the hotel- which was untrue.... everyone else was very good and friendly.

Considering the price of the resort we were overall quite happy. Short walk to the beach, and I loved the quiet pool. Nightime entertainment was good too.

The food was very good during the week, lots of variety and Uncle Louis the singing chef made us feel like one of the family. The house band at dinner time was excellent and very friendly also.

Now for the 'room for improvemnet section'-
-the a la cartes have to be booked daily for that day only. If you are not there immediately when the woman arrives to book you will be out of luck. We did manage to book the italian restaurant one night and it was very good. We did not bother again since it was too much of a time consuming thing and we were happy with the buffet.
-the weekend rush at this resort is ridiculous. I have never seen anything like it. The resort becomes flooded with locals from Friday to Sunday. I generally like the locals but the behaviour was crazy. Doors slamming and shouting in the hallways all night on Friday. Some of the other guests complained and then it was better on Saturday. The locals were filling bags of food from the buffet and taking it off resort on the weekend. It was quite an entertaining sight. The wait staff pretended not to see it.
The food trays were emptied very quickly and they were taking everything they could carry. It was slim pickings for the rest of the guests especially on Sunday. Fresh food would be brought out and a few guests take it all and empty the food into tote bags.

In spite of the weekend vultures, we did enjoy the resort. I would however advise management to get control of the weekend situation because they are feeding much more than the paying guests judging from the amount of food leaving through the front door. It cannot be cost effective.

Would I return? sure would! for a cheap vacation it is great!

Room Tip: Building 4 is farther away, building 1 is closest to main lobby. Otherwise I think the rooms are pro...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Afrancess
Write a ReviewReviews (2,797)

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Here's the thing about the Palma Real, it is awesome! Now I know it needs paint in many locations and toilet seats in bathrooms just around from lobby, but really though if you stay at the resort and stare at the walls and pick apart everything you see, then, you shouldn't go to Cuba at all because it is a very non commercial country it's full of run down dwellings and places that would be condemned in Canada. But that being said it also leaves a lasting impression on you and calls you back for more! The staff at Palma Real (especially the restaurant staff) really work hard and make your experience memorable. My wife and I celebrated our 11th there from April 16-26 and let me tell ya we are already planning our next trip back!

Here are some tips I would pass on to someone going for the first time:
1) Get the stomach shot before you leave ($100) it's better then your first couple of days on the toilet ;)
2) Bring lots of your own toilet paper
3) If you go to Havanah ignore the locals don't smile or look at them, they hound you for money and it robs the joy out of seeing a city rich with history!
4) Go to Cayo Blanco on the cateraman (or however you spell it) it's breath taking
5) Bring some spices for the food, it's not as bad as everyone says it is but it's not spiced like we are used to.
6) Bring your own beach towel and drink cup

Hope this helps and maybe we will see ya there! :)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Terryl H
Reviewed 13 May 2014

What a great place to spend a week relaxing right in the heart of Varadero! As long as one's expectations are solidly in line with price and the fact this is a 3 start hotel. I have been to Cuba many times and this hotel is as good as any I've stayed at for the price and location.

Yes, the property is a bit older but the location is spectacular! The food was more than fine and exactly what one would come to expect after many trips to Cuba.

All and all a great week, great staff, perfect location and great hotel overall... will definitely return next year.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank CubaGal37
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My self and a friend stayed at this resort from May 4th-11th ...The weather,beach,pools,entertainment and location was perfect for us. We felt very safe on and off the resort. The room was clean and had good AC...that's all i'm looking for in Cuba....the food was NOT good but this was my 6th time to Cuba and I brought snacks and condiments....we did eat off the resort and those were the best meals we had. Kikis Pizza on 15th street is a most...we could walk for blocks on the main street and it was very safe. We are 2 woman in our mid 30s and we walked at all times day and night without any problems. Don't waste your time going to the markets that are 20 minutes away...the first ones on the main drag are better and no one bothers you. We will be going back to this resort next year because of the location.

Room Tip: Stay in building 1 it's close to everything
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Necia N
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Excellent location! 2min walk to beach 2 min walk to night life and restaurants Close to bank and markets for shopping. Beautiful beach, beautiful people! Reasonably priced! Met a lot if wonderful people while there for my 2 week stay!!!

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Booker4
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My partner and I just returned from a 2 week trip to the resort and Varadero, we had a really enjoyable stay at the resort. Having read previous reviews concerning this particular resort we sort of knew what to expect, it surpassed most of my expectations for the most part. Firstly, the food really is not all that bad. There is a decent selection of choices to eat from at any meal, I would not necessarily recommend the snack bar during non-meal times, the meat is a bit sketchy in my opinion. The buffet for your meals is awesome service, special thanks to our servers for many meals, "Libya" and "Yoanna", they were amazing.
Our room wasn't the most updated one I have ever stayed in, however, it was clean, quite and overall very nice. We stayed in the 300 block, facing the buffet and party pool, no problems. My only concern was the noise of people coming into the resort at late hours of the night, the doors to the rooms are not thick and therefore could be a bit noisy at times, this only happened a couple of times, so no big deal.
The beach, which was amazing, only less than 5 minutes from the front door of the resort. Make sure to get to the beach early in the morning to guarantee a chair, people head out early. The staff of the resort were beyond friendly, every person in housekeeping, maintenance and hospitality was so nice, special mention to the ladies in the cigar shop and liquor store located in the lobby.
The only area that I was not happy with was the front lobby bar and front desk. This resort could certainly use more bartenders at any time, one bartender for a huge line up of guests. I found another bar on the resort at the far end, located behind the "Blue Salsa" dance stage in the 400 block of rooms. This bar is in the lobby, great service and no long line ups. The front desk could certainly be improved when it comes to helping out a customer and questions, however, they are doing what they can.
Just a note to any same sex couples arriving at the airport. On your flight you will have a fill out a visitors card, one per family or per individual. My boyfriend and I filled out a card together since we live at the same address. Security didn't seem to like the idea that "novio" "boyfriend" idea. We were escorted into a room in the airport, checked for drugs with sniffer dogs while the security officer snickered at the fact that we were a couple. We did sort of feel singled out, but hopefully other couples haven't faced that scrutiny.
Overall, the resort is not really all that entertaining, you sort of have to make your own fun, which we did by leaving the resort and visiting the main street shops and cafes, bars. P.S. you can drink beer on the street and on buses..... if you are planning on buying cigars, get them at the duty free in the airport when leaving, you will save big bucks, almost twice the price on the resort and off the resort, duty free is great for cigars and liquor. We would definitely stay at this resort again. Cheers.

Room Tip: If you are lucky enough to get to the front of the line when checking in, 300 block is a great block...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank monctonguy321
Reviewed 7 May 2014

A great vacation in Cuba with family and friends. We knew on booking that this was only a 3 star and were advised by our travel agent it was basic so we went with an open mind. Budget was important and this resort was a steal! The rooms were clean and ours 1122 was a great location, walking right out to the pool bar. The decor in the rooms is a little run down but the AC worked and we had hot water almost every day plus the room was large. The maid did an excellent service with amazing towel art everyday.
The buffet was again surprisingly good despite poor reviews we had read. My husband is an Italian so of course loves his food, he loved the fresh fish and the fruit available everday. Kids are quite picky eaters and never heard a complaint from them either, although they started at the dessert table and if they had room would squeeze in some meat and rice!
We loved the proximity to downtown and enjoyed a tour on the horse drawn buggy and a night out at the Beatles Bar. Had a fantastic memorable trip on a catamaran and got to spend sometime in the water with Chubby the Dolphin too. Overall this resort is a great base for a Cuban experience.

Room Tip: get building one bottom floor on pool side
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family