“Decent Hotel, Good Location”
Review of Hotel Palma Real

and 1 more site!
Hotel Palma Real
Ranked #48 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
London, Canada
“Decent Hotel, Good Location”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I was at this hotel from May 9th, 2014 to May 16th, 2014.
Overall it is a decent hotel with average amenities and a good location if you like the night life: close to the Beatles Bar and other party bars.
I was in room 1124 which is on the ground floor and has a small balcony with a table and chairs and is just opposite the swim up bar which has music during the day. The music stops around 5 PM and it is quiet in the evening. It was a perfect room location.
The food was fine and the service for beer or wine or juice in the AM was excellent.
Some people who were helpful at the resort were:
Ernesto who works in the lobby and can get things done for you
Oscar outside the front doors who helps with the luggage.
Luis who works in the kitchen and brings food out - he decorates, sings and is an extremely friendly individual to whom you warm up too immediately.
Alex at the beach bar; pours you drinks and always has a smile for you.
I did not meet anyone who was curt or rude - very friendly staff.
I did not have my room cleaned every day - it is not nescessary: give the maid a break!
Any negatives were with the tourist who never say please or thank you: children who say "give me" when they want a drink - never "por favor" or "gracias". Also tourists who leave their garbage everywhere: should be ashame of yourselves - you would not do that at home.
There were few Canadians at this time of year - mostly Cubans and Russians who keep to themselves.
I did not see the manager once; you would think that the manager would be walking around talking to the guests of his hotel, seeing if there are any problems or just making sure the guests are happy.
I rate the hotel as average with above average workers.
If you are going, please bring the maximum weigh allowance in goods for the cubans. They can uses anything you bring: they may be dollar store items to you but valualbe items to them.
I would certainly go back again.

Room Tip: Stay in building one and face the swim up bar: music during the day and quiet after 5 PM.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Mikee1111

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My husband and I jumped at this very last minute AI vacation after a friend of his recommended it and the price was awesome. I loved the location but really recommend you pay a few hundred more dollars and stay across the street.
This was our 3rd visit to Cuba and my most disappointing all time vacation.
We arrived in the late evening. There was about 8 people from our flight staying here. Check in took almost 2 hours. We were escorted to room 1 in building 4.When we opened the door, we walked in on people as the room was occupied. Back to reception. Wait again. Room 2.Opened the curtians and found we were facing a closed dark small area that received no sun, or view of anything except other balconys. There was garbage at the bottom of it. Back to reception and wait. Room 3.(All rooms are a small basic square with a simple washroom). Climb into bed and pass out. Wake up about 6am to honking and beeping and trucks and traffic. I am so hot as the air conditioner doesn't work. Its so loud. Reception shows me a room in building 2.I'll take it and stay although the door didn't lock. There was no safe keys available for our entire week .I used mouthwash and spit into the sink before going out and came back to 30+ ants crawling in my sink and toiletries on the counter. I asked housekeeping for some spray but the communication was not very good and I chose to wash everything down and put my things into the tub after use.
They have one bar going for the main area and I had a very hard time getting service as a shorter,quiet woman. The men were taller and more obvious. I had to send my husband each time I wanted something. I even had a hard time getting my morning coffee as they would serve over me.( I always smile and tip well for good service).I later chose to sit in the lounge area in building 4 for cocktails which was usually empty
I also had a hard time getting something to eat. I wake up at 9 drink coffee on the balcony(no coffee makers in the room) and read for a bit then try to find some toast or eggs. Everything is closed after 10:00am .So I had to wait for lunch. A snack bar is open around lunch to dinner where I could get a grilled cheese sandwich or a hot dog. Lunch buffett opens later. And the area across the street at the beach serves the same thing in the afternoon. The buffett at dinner was quit good for a buffett. We went to Havana for the day. They feed us at about 11 on the trip. We returned to the hotel about 10pm and I was starving. There was NOTHING to eat at the resort. Everything was closed. NO food available. I was to tired to go into town for food. Then after sleeping all night and waking late, I had missed breakfast again and had to wait for a grilled cheese for lunch.( I can definatly afford to loose a few pounds but darn it I'm at an all inclusive).
So I was sad and wanted to call home and check in with my children. For 3 days , reception they said they could not call Canada. I walked to town to a woman in a booth but she couldn't help me out either. So I went to the resort across the street and they easily let me call home. I was so appreciative. On day 3 another couple could call home but they had to ask the man at the front desk not the woman. Yep after that we could call home if we asked him.
There is a bit of entertainment that we caught by mistake as they do not display anywhere that they have entertainment or activities.
It was a weird trip for me and our flight was delayed for hours to come home. We went for the weather and got that but it's the last time I will be letting my husband book our vacation. We loved being in town but would really recommend you stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: building 2 was close
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Alaina224

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Yarmouth, Canada
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This was our second trip to this hotel and our 8th time in Cuba. The hotel is located on the edge of town so there is easy access to everything. It is close to many nightclubs so does get qute noisy especially on the weekend.

We arrived on Sunday evening to a quiet resort, the lobby has been updated and is more comfortable than before. The rooms were just ok but everything worked well enough. There is a mini fridge and phone in each room. Phone calls to Canada can be made directly from your room phone and paid at the reception counter. I called home twice and the cost for 2 quick calls was about $12 pesos total. There is a snack bar open all night and the lobby bar is also open 24 hours. You can get coffee there 24-7.

The staff are mostly very good, we did have one front desk lady who was rude and told me no calls to Canada from the hotel- which was untrue.... everyone else was very good and friendly.

Considering the price of the resort we were overall quite happy. Short walk to the beach, and I loved the quiet pool. Nightime entertainment was good too.

The food was very good during the week, lots of variety and Uncle Louis the singing chef made us feel like one of the family. The house band at dinner time was excellent and very friendly also.

Now for the 'room for improvemnet section'-
-the a la cartes have to be booked daily for that day only. If you are not there immediately when the woman arrives to book you will be out of luck. We did manage to book the italian restaurant one night and it was very good. We did not bother again since it was too much of a time consuming thing and we were happy with the buffet.
-the weekend rush at this resort is ridiculous. I have never seen anything like it. The resort becomes flooded with locals from Friday to Sunday. I generally like the locals but the behaviour was crazy. Doors slamming and shouting in the hallways all night on Friday. Some of the other guests complained and then it was better on Saturday. The locals were filling bags of food from the buffet and taking it off resort on the weekend. It was quite an entertaining sight. The wait staff pretended not to see it.
The food trays were emptied very quickly and they were taking everything they could carry. It was slim pickings for the rest of the guests especially on Sunday. Fresh food would be brought out and a few guests take it all and empty the food into tote bags.

In spite of the weekend vultures, we did enjoy the resort. I would however advise management to get control of the weekend situation because they are feeding much more than the paying guests judging from the amount of food leaving through the front door. It cannot be cost effective.

Would I return? sure would! for a cheap vacation it is great!

Room Tip: Building 4 is farther away, building 1 is closest to main lobby. Otherwise I think the rooms are pro...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Afrancess
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Here's the thing about the Palma Real, it is awesome! Now I know it needs paint in many locations and toilet seats in bathrooms just around from lobby, but really though if you stay at the resort and stare at the walls and pick apart everything you see, then, you shouldn't go to Cuba at all because it is a very non commercial country it's full of run down dwellings and places that would be condemned in Canada. But that being said it also leaves a lasting impression on you and calls you back for more! The staff at Palma Real (especially the restaurant staff) really work hard and make your experience memorable. My wife and I celebrated our 11th there from April 16-26 and let me tell ya we are already planning our next trip back!

Here are some tips I would pass on to someone going for the first time:
1) Get the stomach shot before you leave ($100) it's better then your first couple of days on the toilet ;)
2) Bring lots of your own toilet paper
3) If you go to Havanah ignore the locals don't smile or look at them, they hound you for money and it robs the joy out of seeing a city rich with history!
4) Go to Cayo Blanco on the cateraman (or however you spell it) it's breath taking
5) Bring some spices for the food, it's not as bad as everyone says it is but it's not spiced like we are used to.
6) Bring your own beach towel and drink cup

Hope this helps and maybe we will see ya there! :)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Terryl H
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

What a great place to spend a week relaxing right in the heart of Varadero! As long as one's expectations are solidly in line with price and the fact this is a 3 start hotel. I have been to Cuba many times and this hotel is as good as any I've stayed at for the price and location.

Yes, the property is a bit older but the location is spectacular! The food was more than fine and exactly what one would come to expect after many trips to Cuba.

All and all a great week, great staff, perfect location and great hotel overall... will definitely return next year.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank CubaGal37
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My self and a friend stayed at this resort from May 4th-11th ...The weather,beach,pools,entertainment and location was perfect for us. We felt very safe on and off the resort. The room was clean and had good AC...that's all i'm looking for in Cuba....the food was NOT good but this was my 6th time to Cuba and I brought snacks and condiments....we did eat off the resort and those were the best meals we had. Kikis Pizza on 15th street is a most...we could walk for blocks on the main street and it was very safe. We are 2 woman in our mid 30s and we walked at all times day and night without any problems. Don't waste your time going to the markets that are 20 minutes away...the first ones on the main drag are better and no one bothers you. We will be going back to this resort next year because of the location.

Room Tip: Stay in building 1 it's close to everything
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Necia N
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Excellent location! 2min walk to beach 2 min walk to night life and restaurants Close to bank and markets for shopping. Beautiful beach, beautiful people! Reasonably priced! Met a lot if wonderful people while there for my 2 week stay!!!

• Stayed April 2014