“Not the best”
Review of Varadero Golf Club

Varadero Golf Club
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Varadero Golf Club is the only 18 hole72 par golf course in Cuba. It has all the facilities, services and equipment associated with the practice of golf. It was opened in 1999. It was designed by architect Les Furber, President of the Canadian company Golf Design Services LTD (GDS), combining three (3) golfing architectures Classic design, Challenging or Target Golf design and Links design. It covers a narrow 3.5 Km strip located between "Los Cactus ", "Tuxpan", "Bella Costa", Melia "Las Americas", "Golf & Suites Resort", "Melia Varadero", "Sol Club Palmeras", and "Sol Club Sirenas" hotels. TECHNICAL DESCRIPTION OF THE GOLF COURSE - 18 holes; 72 par: 5 par 5 holes and 5 par 3 holes; remaining 8 holes are par 4. - 6 269 linear meters of trajectory between the First Tee or starting point and Green 18. Three golfing architectures have been combined: 1. Classic design, broad roads bordered by trees, wide and scarcely protected greens. 2. Challenging or Target Golf design, modern style with narrow roads and heavily protected greens surrounded by sand traps and lakes. The Varadero Golf Course has several salt water lakes that connect directly with the sea, a feature that makes it almost unique worldwide. 3. Links design, with holes located alongside the sea following the shoreline, introducing the ocean as another obstacle in the game. It allows golf players to combine all the technical elements of the game with the beauty, peacefulness and quiet of the surroundings. Our Golf Club continues expanding its most ambitious golf facilities projects by opening the first golf academy operated by PGA professionals and instructors from the Cuban Golf Federation. Practice areas (300 meters for long games, 2 putting greens, 1 shipping green, 2 bunkers) are structured to allow instruction to be imparted indoors, including the use of accessories, golf clubs and practice balls. The Golf Academy has designed various programs following international sports guidelines, rules and ethics, open to all professionals and students who wish to enjoy this fascinating game amidst breathtaking beaches and our wonderful culture. The Club House of the Varadero Golf Club has a golf players´ reception at the Caddie House, also including a Pro Shop and Snack Bar. We have facilities and experience in organizing international golf tournaments. We have hosted two European Challenge Tour Grand Finals (1999 and 2000). Golfing area 39.7 Ha. Greens 1.5 Ha. Ante-Greens 2.0 Ha. Tees 2.0 Ha. Fairways 23.9 Ha. Rough 10.3 Ha. Indigenous woods 3.3 Ha. Lagoons 13.4 Ha. Internal roads: 3.7 Ha. Parks and other architectural features: 0.9 Ha. Total area: 61.0 Ha.
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Have played at this course about 10 times to be honest it is holiday golf the greens are very slow and so can your round be ,the people who run the club seem to let anybody on there i have never seen a handicap certificate asked for and have known a round take over 6 hours.It is best if you can get a early t time i always take my own clubs ,to be honest with a little bit more organization this could be a good golf club.

All reviews
in 12 reviews
"scenery"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

What a great golf course! A place for all levels of skill but still challenging. The Pro Shop, club storage and starter were all very nice and helpful. The scenery is spectacular. I was staying right by the 6th hole, I would get the front desk to call the club and they would come in a cart to pick me up - they would also return me to the hotel.
I would definitely recommend this for all the golfers out there!

1  Thank Taylor2580
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I was disappointed at the course. Long grass not very well kept. Would not play there again. The golf clubs where awful didn't have ladies clubs.

1  Thank 154913Sunshine
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My son and I played the course one afternoon in late March 2014. We debated taking the time from the beach and decided that it was worth the time - and we were both glad we did.
We are mid handicap players and I thought the course would challenge a wide variety of skill sets.
There is a nice variety of holes that allowed for some long hitting situations and then some positional play. The greens were slow, but consistent. The fairways were in fair shape and it was not overly costly in the rough - still playable for the most part. Playing a couple of times would help the score, but that is same for all courses.
I thought the cost was reasonable about $100, including the taxi ride to and from our resort. The rental clubs were adequate, and for us they were fine. A more serious golfer would likely want to bring their own.
We played in the later afternoon and had some wind to add to the challenge. The mornings seemed busier and required some planning to book a tee time. We just booked the day before and hadn't done too much advanced planning.
There were several groups around us that were complaining about the pace, but we found that it wasn't too slow. We enjoyed the views whenever we had to wait. It was a under five hours to play the 18 holes. I would likely play again if we ever get back to Varadero.

See more reviews
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Read a bit about this course on Tripadvisor. Decided that most of the complaints had an easy fix. Some of these I could figure out on my own and resolve, others I would have to accept. I would say that this is a very nice course and offers many challenges. While it is a bit pricey, you can not shop around. Most of the holes were in great shape and I did think that they were laid out fairly well. The one exception being the distance from #3 to #4. This course also, plays with the wind at your back or in your face. This makes it much easier then dealing with crosswinds. While the greens were slow, they took the ball great. Like all courses as well there are risks and rewards. The staff were friendly for the most part and when we tipped the cart girls we saw them at least four times every nine holes. They were happy too see us every time we played. I would like to see all the greens with the same grass as this would help scoring. Play early morning for the easiest conditions and save the rest of your day for other things. Play in the afternoon and the winds are usually up and it can be win/lose depending on the hole in question. Hit the longest drive I have ever hit and the shortest 6iron I have ever hit. Worth playing at least three times if you can manage.

1  Thank Jim S