“Exceeded our expectations!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Los Delfines

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Los Delfines
Ranked #41 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Toronto, Canada
“Exceeded our expectations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

My girlfriend and I decided on a one week Christmas trip to Varadero and we initially chose Hotel Los Delfines because of it's central location in the downtown core of the city. I also much prefer the option of walking the streets of the city rather than being stuck on a resort for my entire stay and this hotel was perfect.

Quality/Price/Initial Impression: The hotel is an older one but is well maintained. Previous reviewers also gave this hotel a more positive rating than others in its price class. You can see that the staff really do care for the cleanliness of the rooms and grounds. Some previous reviewers have indicated having problems with their toilets and/or showers but ours were functioning. There are three main areas of the hotel, the buildings surrounding a large pool and stage area, the old colonial building which also has the buffet restaurant and the more modern building which has the clubhouse on the lower level. The more modern building and the colonial building are separated from the rest of the hotel by a small public street. All areas have rooms for the guests to stay. We paid more for our trip because of the time we went but there were shows on the main stage every night and the Christmas meal and stage show in particular was really well done. In addition, the staff always have optional beach activities planned for the guests which we also participated on a regular basis in and made our trip even more fun. I have stayed in a higher rated resort in Cayo Coco previously but this hotel was definitely more enjoyable overall so I personally feel that I got more than my money's worth.

Beaches: Simply put, the beach is amazing! This is the main reason you go to a resort and this beach does not disappoint. Los Delfines has access to a large area of the Varadero beach and there is always a place for you right by the water. You never have to fight for a spot. The beach is clean and the water is warm (even in December!) and was never too wavy. Highly recommended!

Room: The standard room we initially received was not very large. The bathroom area was also divided between the sink and the toilet by a door which made it somewhat inconvenient. We requested a room change but because the hotel was full (on account of Christmas) we could not change it until 3 days into the trip. However, the hotel manager, Efram, personally took care of things and changed us to a larger and more expensive suite overlooking the ocean. The unobstructed ocean view from room 312 was simply incredible. Please note that the new room was also located above the clubhouse so the music was playing until 11pm but we were out every night so it really didn't matter to us. For those preferring a more quite room, other reviewers have suggested getting a room overlooking the pool or one in the old colonial building also overlooking the ocean. This is of course assuming the hotel has them available when you request them.

Front Desk/Reception: The girls at the reception desk were helpful to our needs and pleasant to deal with. I also personally dealt with the hotel manager and found him to be very agreeable. He seemed genuinely concerned in our comfort while at the hotel and this was something I really appreciated.

Cleaning Staff/Security Crew: The cleaning staff was also good with keeping our room organized on a daily basis. We had absolutely no issues. There are plenty of security personnel on staff and visibly present so you always feel safe. We made sure to tip when possible and brought items with us like toothpaste and soap to give away as tips to staff because Cubans have difficulty in obtaining these items.

Food/Restaurants: Regardless of what some may say about Cuban food, I found it to be quite good overall. The buffet had a wide selection of dishes for guests to sample on a daily basis. All selections were also well prepared. The hotel also has one a la carte restaurant which you have to book early on to ensure you get a table because it is small. This restaurant also had excellent food and service although the menu selections were more limited. We also tried a restaurant outside the hotel on Calle 43 which served 2 lobster tails as well as salad and a drink (a Mohito) for only 15 pesos per person which we thoroughly recommend for those willing to try.

Phone/Internet: I did not use the internet while I was at Los Delfines. Cuba has difficulties in accessing the internet in general because of the current embargo as most internet infrastructure is located in the major US cities. As such, do not travel to Cuba expecting to use your computer devices or smartphone. Cellphones will work in most places but are expensive to use ($4/min for talk and $.75/text). Besides, aren't you on vacation? If you must use internet, you can buy minutes to use in a public internet location but it is also very expensive for only very limited time. Phone service can also be spotty. I called home to Toronto from my hotel room which worked both times (which I recommend over other communication options) but a public phone card did not work at all for me (I wasn't able to put out a call when I tried). I did not use my cell phone except to text which worked only at the airport.

Overall: We were thoroughly impressed with our first stay in Varadero. Despite the hotel being older and smaller, the staff and in particular the hotel manager went out of their way to make our trip memorable and pleasant. I will certainly consider booking here again and I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a thoroughly enjoyable vacation experience in Varadero Cuba.

Room Tip: Rooms with the pool view are quieter; Colonial building rooms have the ocean view; Rooms in the more...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Scooch2K12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Czech first
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

Bring your own soap and shampoo. Beds are okay. Rooms were clean. Bathrooms decent. Food was typical. Beach was great. Staff was friendly. Lots of different shows to see each night. Good for a fun younger person travelling alone.

Room Tip: Try to be in building attached to lobby. The other building is on top of rec center and can be noisy...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank KassandraJordan
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Luv this place..have been 5 times going back in a few weeks..the staff is awsome..the food you can always find somthing to eat..beach is awesome..i always bring snack..i always bring different things and share with the friends i have made there..a little goes a long way..cant wait to go back

• Stayed December 2013
5 Thank mickycan
hamilton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

It was an older building but very well maintained and very clean. The maids did an excellent job cleaning. The place is right in the shopping district and so close to the ocean. The people are very friendly felt very safe at all hours. The food well it could improve,we went to a restaurant on Calle43 for 15 pesos you got 2 lobster tails, rice,salad and a drink was very good we went there 2 times. The only thing that bothered me was seeing a lot of the european men wearing their speedos and had the Cuban girls with them for the whole time they stayed the men are old enough to be the grandfathers of them it was disgusting

Room Tip: pool view is nice room 141
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HamiltonBird
Ajax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

First time in Varadero Cuba, loved it. This hotel is perfect for those that like to walk around Varadero without having to get a taxi. The location is perfect.The hotel is nice, not huge which was fine for us, the food was ok , there are many great restaurants around within walking distance.I would go back to this place. The price was great as well as the staff.

Room Tip: get a room on the pool side
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank TravelingPaul67
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

My bf and I stayed here in January because the deal we got was too good to pass up. I have to admit however, after reading reviews I was a little nervous. I will admit check-in seemed to take an extreme amount of time since we were a bus full of people but it could also be that we arrived at 10:30pm and I was exhausted! Beware: this is a very small resort. If you are not a people person, this might not be the place for you... We spent the week with the people we met on the plane/bus and the only time you can get away from them is to leave the resort, we cant really complain though; we met some good people! THE RESORT: older but clean, 4 buildings now seperated by a very quiet street (it sounds weird but its nothing really) I cant say much for the pool because we didnt go in it once but it looked clean (small though) we spent a part of our day at the pool bar to keep out of the sun and the rest of the day at the beach where there is also a bar and various activities that go on throughout the day (a couple shows at night as well at the beach bar). There are several cats around the resort but they mostly sleep all day. THE ROOMS: (our room was in the lobby building) small but who really stays in a room down south?! It was perfect for sleeping and very clean. Our housekeeping staff were really friendly, and so were all the other employees there. THE FOOD: very repetetive but reasonable. Omelettes for breakfast and pasta for lunch and supper with your choice of sauce and meat. The dinning area is dated but I'm not a fancy kind of girl so it didnt bother me. Beer is free at the pool bar however they charge for beer at the beach bar since locals are aloud at this bar as well. LOCATION: perfectly situated on the main strip, walking distance to banks, clubs, boutiques. EXCURSIONS: there are people selling excursions on the resort and they are worth it! We did the jeep safari and had a blast. There were a few toddlers around but the resort was mostly older (by older i mean 30+)

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Keri M
Bailieboro, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

I've been in many hotels in Varadero and this is one of the best. Downtown, so it's close to everything. In my experience it makes sense to be downtown and save the money from the cabs. The pennisilla is beautiful but remote and full of mosquitos. Been there, done that.

The grounds were well kept and the staff great. Right on the beach. Its a small hotel so it was never a problem to get a chair. The room was always clean. We did have a flood one day but it was cleaned up immediately. It shorted out the safe and they also fixed this immediately. So they look after this hotel.

The foods boring but that's Cuba. Your so close to restaurants that are well priced, it will give you a little variety. The overall food in Cuba is a lot better than it used to be. There was no beef at one time. The pasta bar was good and the egg bar in the morning was great. I liked the hot dogs and pizza at the pool bar. Drinks were great...but try to get the ingredients....they always change.

I've seen a lot of complaints on here about cats....this is Cuba and like most of the caribbean, cats and dogs are free....you are no longer where your from so get used to it, Your only there for a week or 2. My greatest complaint about Cuba is not the hotel but that everyone wants a ti and Panhandlers on the streets. It never was like this and used to be against the law. We actually had to pay to use the washroom at the big market...oh and bring your own toilet paper if you'll be walking around. Hotels have, but everywhere else doesn't...they may not even have a seat. The reason for this is that the real Cuba doesn't have a system to handle toilet paper and most houses don't have seats....its just the way it is.

We went on the jeep safari...not impressed. I don't know how you snorkle in a lifejacket...makes it very hard on the neck to see anything as you float upright and look down :) , the boat was fun, but you just go up and down the river...we kinda felt like cattle. Then off to the farm. Lunch was a good traditional Cuban meal (I have friends there, so I know) but again we were asked to tip....tip, tip, tip. Then off to the cave. Be prepared, it is beautiful but 74 degrees. So getting back to the bus we were then asked to tip.

So for me no more tips in Cuba. One CUC peso is worth 24 of theirs. The people that work in Varadero are rich compared to the rest. I;ll be giving my tips to the locals away from Varadero, but be careful that only who you give to sees or you will be swarmed.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Liz_Peter2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varadero
Sol Hotel
Hotel Villa Lodge 4 Epices
Hotel Villa Lodge 4 Epices
#5 of 7 in Grand Cul-de-Sac
Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort

Been to Hotel Los Delfines? Share your experiences!