“Luc”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Los Delfines
Ranked #41 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Excellent value in the heart of Varadero, will go back anytime, people very nice and ground and beach very clean, good food for Cuba,it is very nice to be able to walk downtown Varadero, feel very safe even late a night,

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LucHawkesburyOnt_

Reviewed 13 January 2014

This is your average 3-star resort in Varadero. Rooms are dated and tired looking, but clean and no bugs. Front desk staff were nice and room was ready by 2pm for check-in. Ground well-maintained. Resort consists of 4 buildings with a tiny street running in between them. One bar is 24h which was great for a 6am coffee before my flight home. Beach was excellent but pool was empty. Music late at night kept me up from 1030pm-1130pm when it was turned down due to complaints. Ask for a room far from pool if you need to be up early.

Food was edible but that's it. Lunch buffet had chicken breast in cream sauce, two types of rice, beef tongue, and sweet potatoes with salads. I didn't touch the bread or fruit (flies) or dessert (horrible). Note that the same rice dishes and one beef dish were again served at dinner. There is a fish grill but unlucky for me, I don't eat fish and the smell of fish permeated the buffet and outside the entrance. House wines were decent enough for Cuba and actually passable! Bars were decently stocked with generic brands of everything, so I stuck to beer, wine, and bottled water.

It is a 3 minute walk from the bus station and 5 minutes to a local shopping plaza. Duty-free at Varadero airport offers same low prices on rum as found at souvenir shop in hotel (next to beach bar), but prices on other spirits are very high. Note that Varadero airport had no running water in washrooms and minimal food available for purchase so plan ahead.

Would return to Los Delfines for 1 night but could not dare spend a whole week. Fork out the extra couple hundred dollars and go 5-star if you want to do Varadero and eat better than a college first-year student with a microwave and a can opener.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Jason670
Reviewed 12 January 2014

My husband and I just got back from a week at Hotel Los Delfines. The hotel is a bit dated but everything (well almost) works and as it is small it is eay to find your way around.
The Food: The Buffet was a pleasant surprise. Breakfast was a bit bleak but lunch and supper were pretty good. There was a good variety and the service was nice, too. Levan was always ready with a big smile and was very attentive.
The Beach is lovely and well kept. You can sun bathe, lie in the shade, swim or walk the beach without being bothered by anyone.
The room: We had just a standard room but ours had a side view of the ocean. The balcony was really small and swamped by two huge chairs. How you are supposed to enjoy that I don't know. The beds looked quite uncomfortable but were actually ok. They are not what we are used to but we slept just fine. The shower squirted a bit out the side and soaked the floor if you weren't careful but we always had water pressure and hot water. The maid service was excellent and Fany took care of us well. She brought us water when asked, fixed our A/C remote and did a great job overall. Lovely lady.
The Bars: The "Lobby Bar" is the best bar to get a coffee or drink. The bartenders are fun and work hard to make sure everyone has what they want. Jania, Levi and Elian were our favourites. We had a lot of fun with them. The "Pool Bar" is not so well equipped but is also a snack bar which offers french fries and hamburgers etc. Pretty good food but not very friendly.
The Entertainment was good and Luciano kept us busy in the evenings with song Quizzes, dancing and singing. There was a show every night which was not bad. Kind of hokey but they try so hard. It's generally dancing and singing every night.
We loved the location! When you walk out the front door you are in the centre of Varadero. You're not far from wonderful restaurants, shops and taxis. We went to Nonna Tina's for fantastic pizza (calle 38) and KiKi's down by the canal. 9.75 for garlic bread with cheese, pizza and two beers. Excellent! We also went to Al Capone's and the view was gorgeous but the prices are steep. The beachtour bus may or may not go all the way down to Al Capone's it just depends on your driver.
We had a great time overall and recommend this hotel if you're into exploring and not looking for a fancy place. The price is right

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank IMCanadian2
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Our background: group of friends in their 20s, went for fun.

We'll write about what we think is important to know, not absolutely everything.

1. SERVICE:

- the bartenders weren't very nice (unapproachable, rude -- made fun of you sometimes in Spanish) which we could have overlooked, but...

-...the DRINKS SUCKED! Big time! Very inconsistent. They would also run out of basically everything except rum by 12am. Absolutely nothing was good except the Spanish coffee and the beer. But there's a catch here too...

-...NO BEER at the 24 hr bar (unless you pay for the canned one, 2 pesos). They do have beer on tap at the other bar that closes at 10pm.

- the "24hr snacks" were poor in quality...when you could find any since they ran out after 2 people asked for them. The snacks from the other bar (10pm) were quite good.

- Overall, the FOOD WAS OK. Keep in mind that this is Cuba and the expectations weren't high in the first place. The variety was on the poor side. The ice cream was good :)

- the guy who reserves spots for the only a la carte restaurant was nowhere to be found when needed. We spotted him in the buffet twice, he said he'll "be there in a few minutes"; we never found him...

2. VALUE:

- the fact that we paid the same amount of money in the same period, and we got a lot more for it, very poor value for money for this resort (we include drinks, food, entertainment/activities, and the liveliness of the place -- there were probably 40 people in the whole resort and they were definitely not young :P)

3. ACTIVITIES:

- we'll start by thanking Luciano (the main entertainer) who did his absolute best to keep everyone in a good mood, especially given the lack of resources he had to work with

- except a sporadic dancing, a nightly show, a pool table, a ping pong table and a volleyball field, there's not much to do. There aren't really any activities organized within the resort.

- "non-motorized water sports" are NON-EXISTENT

- there is no disco on the premises, but this is Varadero so we gave a shot to 2 of the local discos (30-45 minute walking distance). Havana Club was good -- fun music of all kinds, decent prices for the drinks. The other disco, oh boy! Read below...

- before I start bashing this place, let me mention that we are definitely not including it in the rating of the resort but it is useful information. STAY AWAY FROM LA COMPARSITA! Certain individuals in the resort might advertise it as a cool place and might convince you that the 10 pesos entrance fee is worth it because of the open bar. IT'S NOT. The "open bar" is a 6-foot long window where 200 people try to get drinks at the same time...I waited 45 minutes for 6 drinks, almost got in a fight with a pushy 400-pound dude and got drinks spilled on me like there's no tomorrow. Not to mention the extended number of people trying to get money from you for different reasons.

OTHER:

- the beach was VERY NICE and long, white sand, clean, no rocks in the water
- some of our keycards glitched and we had to change them
- the pool was pretty cold, being surrounded on almost all sides by buildings
- you have to cross a road to get from the entrance to the beach, not bad, just curious for us :)
- the hotel is nicely located, close to shops, restaurants, the bank, and Varadero is a nice place to walk around -- that makes up for the lack of things to do inside the resort

Room Tip: Amenties-wise, the building with the entrance from the main road was good. Location-wise, there'...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Vlad I
Reviewed 31 December 2013

My girlfriend and I decided on a one week Christmas trip to Varadero and we initially chose Hotel Los Delfines because of it's central location in the downtown core of the city. I also much prefer the option of walking the streets of the city rather than being stuck on a resort for my entire stay and this hotel was perfect.

Quality/Price/Initial Impression: The hotel is an older one but is well maintained. Previous reviewers also gave this hotel a more positive rating than others in its price class. You can see that the staff really do care for the cleanliness of the rooms and grounds. Some previous reviewers have indicated having problems with their toilets and/or showers but ours were functioning. There are three main areas of the hotel, the buildings surrounding a large pool and stage area, the old colonial building which also has the buffet restaurant and the more modern building which has the clubhouse on the lower level. The more modern building and the colonial building are separated from the rest of the hotel by a small public street. All areas have rooms for the guests to stay. We paid more for our trip because of the time we went but there were shows on the main stage every night and the Christmas meal and stage show in particular was really well done. In addition, the staff always have optional beach activities planned for the guests which we also participated on a regular basis in and made our trip even more fun. I have stayed in a higher rated resort in Cayo Coco previously but this hotel was definitely more enjoyable overall so I personally feel that I got more than my money's worth.

Beaches: Simply put, the beach is amazing! This is the main reason you go to a resort and this beach does not disappoint. Los Delfines has access to a large area of the Varadero beach and there is always a place for you right by the water. You never have to fight for a spot. The beach is clean and the water is warm (even in December!) and was never too wavy. Highly recommended!

Room: The standard room we initially received was not very large. The bathroom area was also divided between the sink and the toilet by a door which made it somewhat inconvenient. We requested a room change but because the hotel was full (on account of Christmas) we could not change it until 3 days into the trip. However, the hotel manager, Efram, personally took care of things and changed us to a larger and more expensive suite overlooking the ocean. The unobstructed ocean view from room 312 was simply incredible. Please note that the new room was also located above the clubhouse so the music was playing until 11pm but we were out every night so it really didn't matter to us. For those preferring a more quite room, other reviewers have suggested getting a room overlooking the pool or one in the old colonial building also overlooking the ocean. This is of course assuming the hotel has them available when you request them.

Front Desk/Reception: The girls at the reception desk were helpful to our needs and pleasant to deal with. I also personally dealt with the hotel manager and found him to be very agreeable. He seemed genuinely concerned in our comfort while at the hotel and this was something I really appreciated.

Cleaning Staff/Security Crew: The cleaning staff was also good with keeping our room organized on a daily basis. We had absolutely no issues. There are plenty of security personnel on staff and visibly present so you always feel safe. We made sure to tip when possible and brought items with us like toothpaste and soap to give away as tips to staff because Cubans have difficulty in obtaining these items.

Food/Restaurants: Regardless of what some may say about Cuban food, I found it to be quite good overall. The buffet had a wide selection of dishes for guests to sample on a daily basis. All selections were also well prepared. The hotel also has one a la carte restaurant which you have to book early on to ensure you get a table because it is small. This restaurant also had excellent food and service although the menu selections were more limited. We also tried a restaurant outside the hotel on Calle 43 which served 2 lobster tails as well as salad and a drink (a Mohito) for only 15 pesos per person which we thoroughly recommend for those willing to try.

Phone/Internet: I did not use the internet while I was at Los Delfines. Cuba has difficulties in accessing the internet in general because of the current embargo as most internet infrastructure is located in the major US cities. As such, do not travel to Cuba expecting to use your computer devices or smartphone. Cellphones will work in most places but are expensive to use ($4/min for talk and $.75/text). Besides, aren't you on vacation? If you must use internet, you can buy minutes to use in a public internet location but it is also very expensive for only very limited time. Phone service can also be spotty. I called home to Toronto from my hotel room which worked both times (which I recommend over other communication options) but a public phone card did not work at all for me (I wasn't able to put out a call when I tried). I did not use my cell phone except to text which worked only at the airport.

Overall: We were thoroughly impressed with our first stay in Varadero. Despite the hotel being older and smaller, the staff and in particular the hotel manager went out of their way to make our trip memorable and pleasant. I will certainly consider booking here again and I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a thoroughly enjoyable vacation experience in Varadero Cuba.

Room Tip: Rooms with the pool view are quieter; Colonial building rooms have the ocean view; Rooms in the more...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Scooch2K12
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Bring your own soap and shampoo. Beds are okay. Rooms were clean. Bathrooms decent. Food was typical. Beach was great. Staff was friendly. Lots of different shows to see each night. Good for a fun younger person travelling alone.

Room Tip: Try to be in building attached to lobby. The other building is on top of rec center and can be noisy...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank KassandraJordan
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Luv this place..have been 5 times going back in a few weeks..the staff is awsome..the food you can always find somthing to eat..beach is awesome..i always bring snack..i always bring different things and share with the friends i have made there..a little goes a long way..cant wait to go back

• Stayed: December 2013