“I am going to this hotel in April/2014”

Islazul Mar del Sur Aparthotel
Ranked #51 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 28 February 2014

If this hotel ok for a single mom and 2 girls? Is the location good for walking every where? Any info would be greatly appreciated.I have been to Cuba before but Stayed at the Palma Real which i loved...but this was a good deal for me and my kids

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank Jennifer A

Reviewed 25 February 2014

We just loved the experience. Our family had a great time. The Resort is clean, food is good and the people are friendly. The beach looks like paradise. Of course we can't compare the shower with the ones we have in Canada, the water pressure is not that great in Cuba, but it didn't bother us at all. We want to come back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Cleusa O
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I went with a few friends, and I had an amazing time! The food was simple, but I had to say it was one of my favorite parts of the trip, there was always a variety. The beach was beautiful and the bar was nice too. The beach wasn't right on the resort it was a little ways down the steet but if you pack up your beach bag you can just go down and spend the day there. They have lobster and rice for sale on the beach for like 10 peso's I think it was and it was honestly the best lobster I ever had!! What else, hm, the people! The staff, and people staying we're all so sweet. They had to be my favorite. It was a small resort so you often saw people you knew around. There was so many people we met and regularly spent time with. The resort down the road, Villa de Mar, was also available for use from people at our resort. You can go back and forth from resort to resort. The shows at night were awesome! There was singing, dancing, water shows, magic shows, etc. and they were all spectacular! If you're someone who has high expectations, like have been to 5 starts and whatnot, you might not enjoy it, but I can guarentee you it was the best week I've had!

• Stayed: February 2014
5  Thank singinfish
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Although I have been to Cuba many times (mostly Santiago), this was our first trip to Varadero and it was fantastic. It all depends on what you are going for and what you want to do. If you just want to get to a resort, relax, and not leave the grounds, then pay the extra money and book into a 4 or 5 star resort where there will be decent food and some entertainment. If you plan to explore, go on adventures, and spend very little time at the resort and take many of the great excursions that are available as we did, then book into a 2 or 3 star resort. There are so many things to do and to see in Varadero, and great reasonable restaurants everywhere. Do your research online ahead of time, decide what you want to do, and don’t expect that your travel rep or resort staff will be knowledgeable. When you get there, go to any CubaTour office for the best advice and bookings.
We stayed at Mar Del Sur in the downtown area, which was only tolerable because we were away from the resort from 9am to 9pm every day. The entire resort, our room included, was tired and shabby. Clearly, the management is bent on sucking every last dollar of profit out of this venue, and does not invest in upkeep. The food really was of the poorest quality, and badly prepared. Have you ever heard of a Cuban resort that couldn’t make a Mojito because they never had mint?? Or, no bacon for breakfast?? Cuba is a country that survives on pork products! It was very clear to us in every way possible that the management of this hotel really could care less about their guests. The pool bar shuts down at 10pm even before the evening ‘show’ ends, and the 24hour small lobby bar doesn’t serve beer at all. The over riding message from the management is that they don’t want to have to spend money on their guests, and they want everyone to go to bed by 10:30.
Nonetheless, Varadero itself is a great and safe place to vacation for all ages ..... just make sure you bring really comfortable walking shoes and bug spray.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Ted C
Reviewed 27 January 2014

When a person seeks the cheapest package to travel to a developing country like Cuba you are giving yourself a great opportunity to learn about your patience and your ability to ask for what you want WITHOUT GETTING UPSET. My bang for my buck includes my own cleaning materials (for the first day only) and the adventure of discovering what works rather than what doesn't work. Sure, the furniture is older than most of the guests and the hot water runs out early. My bottom line is security and minimal comfort, thereby allowing me the pleasure of suprise! I go to Cuba for the sun and relaxation and because I want to help the country and its people. I never starve because I always find something warm and healthy to eat.. At the pool area I and my wife stay away from smokers while almost always having to clean an area of empty cups and butts.
Folks? If you want a smile, respect and some service then offer it. The staff do a great job with what they have! Mario, head of services pull his rib cage out while putting out a fire started by a guest with a cigareet! Drink, eat and act responsibly with your family. I KNOW you dont act like this at home, so control yourself and enjoy your adventure. Roberto and Mabel

Room Tip: Pool noise stops at 10:30pm. Always good to have brought extra john ribbon as well as wash cloth...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank roberto O
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This is hotel where people go to end their lives. It doesn't deserve 2 stars, it deserves to be burned to the ground. Our beds were infested with dead bugs, sheets were stained, towels were old and dirty. Nothing in the "kitchen" except a fridge that didn't work. The bathroom was so old dirty and beat up that I felt even dirtier after I attempted to shower in it. Stay away from this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank KassandraJordan
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Went back to Mar del Sur for 2 weeks in Nov. /13. It was like going to visit old friends. Practically everybody remembered us from our trip in March. Many even asked why our daughter wasn't with us. As before we were really happy with just about everything. Guess we're 2 star people. Just wish there was beer in the lobby bar. What can I say, loved it the first time, loved it this time too. Visited the friends we made last time at their homes in Havana and Cardenas. Were treated like royalty and saw a glimpse of Cuban life from a Cuban angle. Will be going back soon. Food same as before, can always find something pretty good. Beach excellent, location good. Kind of a bummer though, would like to check out other resorts but feel like we'd be cheating on our Mar del Sur friends.

Room Tip: 2nd floor block 13 street side was great just people watching off the balcony. No real noise from th...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple