“Good for the price”

Islazul Mar del Sur Aparthotel
Ranked #51 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

My experience staying at this resort was acceptable, after all it is Cuba and people should expect to see some decay. The staff was awesome! Easy access to the a clean beach and easy access to bus services was a must for me and this place delivered. Don't make this resort your number one choice if you're thinking of staying in your room all day though, but for the tourist who needs a place to sleep after a long day of sightseeing, shopping, and bathing at the beach this is a good option!

• Stayed: April 2014
6  Thank Maria A
There are newer reviews for Islazul Mar del Sur Aparthotel

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I always get an apartment which comes with a fridge. the food still isn't very good but my partner in crime is Cuban & she actually liked eating here every meal because of the variety. I understand her economic situation doesn't allow her the opportunities I have in Canada so I dealt with it & it saved me money. There wasn't much variety but I have a feeling it was due to the hotel being pretty empty. It wasn't very busy & some of the good night entertainment i'd seen at in the past was replaced with lower budget activities. I did have no hot water but in a few hours they changed the hot water tank & had it running. I didn't want to change rooms because my room was pretty big so I had lots of room & a big balcony. If you want to save money & have a good location I'd stay here but PLEASE LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS! I bought my own beer as I don't like draft too often & all they had was cristal on tap. I don't like cristal in a can or bottle. Lots of hard liquor available but no beer at their beach bar as i'm assuming it's not easy transporting kegs of beer over the beach. I've never had an issue here as it's near the bank, internet, a couple of the best restaurants in varadero (el toro & salsa saurez) & only 2 blocks from beach. The beach is not over crowded like the other side of varadero where all the resorts are. This has plenty of locals staying here. As for the green pool thing. I see them cleaning it every morning as i'm up around 5-6am every day. I don't waste my time in the pool as the ocean is 2 blocks away. I don't know why it ends up green by the end of the day but I see them cleaning it every day. I don't go in public pools where alcohol is served because I don't know how anyone can drink 10 beers & not have to leave to pool all day to go to the bathroom...

Room Tip: always get an apartment...eat at the salsa saurez restaurant around the corner... great food!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank Joe S
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

I visited Varadero for my 4th time and for the 1st time I was traveling solo. It was the best experience I have ever had. I was sceptical at 1st booking a low budget hotel but it was awesome. The staff was great. My room was always clean. Thanks to Adrianna!!! Wonderful woman. There wasn't much variety for food but it was very edible. Well I enjoyed myself so much I'm booking this hotel tomorrow for this August and this time for 2 weeks. Hasta pronto varadero.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Jessica D
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I was very disappointed with the whole experience of this hotel. I love Cuba but wouldn't recommend this hotel. The pool was dirty and green, half the time the bar didnt have cups or booze. Just mainly beer

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Jennifer A
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I recently stayied this hotel for my vacation. It's not worth it for the money the room is not clean no hot water broken shower the food is terrible and the A/C make terrible noise. Next time I will not stay this at all.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Suren231
Reviewed 2 April 2014

not the greatest food but I always found something to eat & I bought my own beer. the location is great & the prices are good. great staff & my cleaning ladies did a great job. I stayed in an apartment so I had a fridge to keep beer & water in. lots of locals use pool area during the day but are out by 7pm. I didn't have great water pressure in my shower but I always had hot water. high maintenance people who need pampering need not stay here. this is the cheapest all-inclusive in varadero so lower your expectations & you will have a good time. nightly entertainment was very good & the noise is done by 11pm. i'd suggest an apartment over a room only because of the fridge. there was not drama in the hotel except for a few drunk fools but that is par for the course anywhere. expect to see tourist men & women with local dates. this is common in latin America. any bad review here is probably from high maintenance people who cheaped out on a vacation but expected 5 star catering. I know the type as I've seen it many times. the pool is cleaned every morning so anyone who said otherwise is full of crap. they were just not up early enough to see it. the ocean & beach are a short 1 block hike & is never crowded as most tourists stay on the other side of town...

Room Tip: get an apartment if you don't like draft beer (cristal on tap)because you can keep water, beer o...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Joe S
Reviewed 19 March 2014

i was there for a month and everyone in the hotel and restaurant were just FANTASTIC!!! The hotel was very clean, the staff was very hospitable and they made my trip even better then i could imagine! thank you very much. Carmen Cacioppo and Grace!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family