“What a pleasant surprise” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Islazul Mar del Sur Aparthotel

Islazul Mar del Sur Aparthotel
Ranked #50 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Peace River, Canada
“What a pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2009

I am an independent traveller and had only stayed in an all-inclusive once before (Breezes in Puerto Plata) so I don't have much to compare to and my tastes are likely different to those who love the all-inclusive experience. Please take my review in that context.

I took my daughter to Veradero for a mid-winter getaway. We travel outside of Canada two to three times a year and I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised with the Mar del Sur.

We arrived in the wee hours of the morning, our flight having been delayed by 16 hours. We were greeted courteously and checked in with no problems. I had arranged to meet a friend there and had been unable to get a message to him through our tour operator but the staff immediately agreed to get a message to him first thing in the morning to let him know we'd arrived. I found the lobby to be a spacious and welcoming place and the security at the front was very visible but also friendly.

We were delighted when we arrived in our room. I had only paid $475 each for all-inclusive packages (the flight would have cost far more by itself) and I expected a very basic room and thought if we were lucky we might each get a bed. Instead, we found a two bedroom apartment with a sitting area, dining area, small kitchen, two balconies, plus an extra room that had no furniture in it. The furniture was dated, yes, but everything was very clean. I never saw a single bug in our room during our entire stay. The smaller balcony (I think its purpose was this) had a tap to wash the sand from your feet. The second balcony was huuuuge with some comfortable chairs to sit in (and dry your beach towels on) and overlooked the well kept grounds. Honestly, the room was far more spacious and better appointed than my first apartment as a young person.

I'm not a big fan of buffet meals but I didn't see anything wrong with what was offered there. At breakfast you could have your eggs done any way you liked, toast, fruit...I can't remember what sorts of meat. Lunch and dinner were meat, veggies, spuds, fruits and sweets. Like I said, I'm not a huge fan of buffet meals so I didn't eat there often for lunch or dinner, preferring to find a place that served beans and rice and whatever else was on offer. The meals I did have there were better than the meals at the 4-star all-inclusive I paid such a ridiculous price for. Anytime something was missing from the buffet all I had to do was ask and it was replaced promptly.

The bar was a bar. I haven't got much to say about it - the staff was friendly and I never had a hard time getting a drink. Another thing I can't say about Breezes Puerto Plata.

I only managed to catch the entertainment one night and that night it was excellent...some great Cuban music and the team did a wonderful job.

I won't stay at this hotel again as I won't go to Veradero again. I loved the rest of the island too much to waste time in Veradero. If a friend was going though, I wouldn't hesitate for a minute in recommending it.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Blast70

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2009

I've read the reviews before going, and I must say I was a bit skeptical. But I took the plunge, and went by myself. I was very happy with my experience. Remember, this is Cuba, and it's a 2 star. So, don't expect luxury. However, having said this, while the rooms could do with fresh paint, and the decor was dated, the room is other wise comfortable. The grounds are very well kept, the staff are always saying hello, and make efforts to accommodate requests. The food choices were good. When compared to what I hear is served in 3 or 4 star hotels, it's comparable. Fresh fruit - pineapple, grapefruit, guavas, oranges. There was choice of beef, chicken, pork, fish. As for me, I am a vetarian/vegan, there were lots of vegetable choices, and there were beans. The deserts weren't fancy, but not complaining!

One thing I didn't like was my room was closer to the highway and traffic
This hotel is great for singles -single women, or families... there are security guards at the entrances of the hotel. The beach is a very short walk across the street passed by all night. But if you are a heavy sleeper, this may not bother you. Also, particularly on the weekend, there was loud music. But this did not deter me from having a nice vacation.

If you do get the opportunity, do take the day trip to Havana. The hotel can provide assistance with this tour, and I found that it cost the same price through the hotel, as with the tour company with which I booked. I also took the bus tour to Matanzas, and was luck enough to be with only 2 other passengers. The driver was super! We had the bus to ourselves, and he took us on the full tour- and made extra stops off the normal route... and dropped us off right at the hotel instead of the bus stop.

There isn't the much of a nightlife in Varadero, but that's not what I was into. I enjoyed my stay thoroughly. It's not uncommon to see other tourists going for a stroll at night, and it's pretty safe. Police also patrol the streets, and security is present.

All in all, a great experience...

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
5 Thank Trypz
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2009

My boyfriend and I decided to take a last minute trip to Cuba. First time for both of us. We started reading the reviews for Mar del Sur Hotel and we were really scared of what we were going to find over there.
But instead, we had a wonderful time. We got there at 1 am, the first room they offered us was outside the site. Do not accept one of those rooms. Even though there is a balcony, the furniture is old and the bathroom is dirty. We asked for a room with no balcony. We got one in building 16 next to the pool. The room was spacious, sunny and the bathroom had just been renovated.
The pool is huge and very nice. There are a lot of chairs and space, you can just spend your day there, play bingo :-) and relax....
The food was good. Lots of salads, fruits, rice, ham, chicken... We never left the restaurant hungry.
You have to cross the 1st avenue to go to the beach, which takes you about 1 minute and a half. Just be careful not to get hit by a car... It is situated in "downtown" Varadero. We used to walk on 1st avenue and take a look around. It was really nice. Mar del sur guests have a place reserved for them on the beach with huts and a bar /snack bar. We spend the whole day on day beach or by the pool drinking beer...
This is a very nice hotel for people who are easy going, not too picky about food or service (which is ok, but not excellent) and who are on a budget. Cubans are allowed to go to this hotel, that is why it is rated only 2 stars. But tourists and Cubans mixed very well, we had a great time mostly because people who go there are not uptight. They just want to have fun and relax.
I must add that the only activities you will find there are bingo by the pool (you can win a bottle of rum ;-) and a show (very amateur) at night. Open bar ends at 10:30 pm, so you dont have drunk people screaming and making noise the whole night.
Have a nice trip!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Pilila
Montréal, Québec
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2009

The hotel it's exactly what you pay for. We had the new section, with renovated apartments. It has a small kitchen, dining room and living room and a big balcony. Separated by a door, there is a big bedroom with a bathroom.
These apartments are on the block 13.
The food was ok... always the same. What you had for lunch you will find it with different sause for diner.
The pool bar was Ok. Great Coffee. However, they do not have milk in this bar. So if you like your coffee with mil you had to walk to the restaurant, get some milk and go back to the Pool bar. Fun.
Most of the service will ask you for your clothes, shoes, kids gear, etc.
But nice people.
Family Friendly

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2009

Ok so if you are choosing to stay at this hotel you are looking for the most bang for your buck, and yes this you will get the price was excellent the location was great right in the center of the city. What this hotel is best for is if you plan on using it as a base for extra travel like staying in paticulars or what have you.

Ok the hotel is old dirty beds are at least 20 years old very umm shall we say not to be seen here even at sally ann, the rooms run down but livable, only seen one cock roach in my room was the size of a five dollar bill so they are fed well but you have to expect that based on the fact of the warm climinate.

The location as i siad is great righ tin the city walk everywhere, drink well beer and rum and coke dont bother with anything else, if you can get a room off the main property do so are bigger and slightly better but not much, and the rest wll you have to keep in mind that what you ave paid, a good comparision is that you cant even get a flight to there for less than the whole package for 1 week so you figure it out.

Overall its a zero star if you live in toronto its kinda like kingston road motels or teh really old motels on the lakeshore, so be prepared but dont sell it too short it does have a purpose for us budget travelers, enjoy and if you are a reactive person to things like ant bites and bed bugs this is not the place for you,....... Happy Travels !

PS do not i say agian do not swin in the pool its most likely not good for your health, trust me i am a budget traveler and its a scary pool very dirty cigareete butts cups you name it and the ater is yellow yes yellow look at it at night you will see it........

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Gump68

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2009

My friend and I just returned and I have to say for the price the Mar del Sur is not that bad. Being teachers we went for a cheap March break get away. Our expectations were low going in but for a budget hotel we were pleasantly surprised. We had a one bedroom apartment (wicker furniture, small T.V., small fridge, and small electric hot plate stove…be careful of shocks) style room and it was VERY clean....again very pleased...especially when speaking to other 5* hotel goers they were infested with ants. The staff was friendly to us but that is because we were very appreciative of their work. We left gifts (i.e. toothpaste, razors, gum, and old clothes) for our maid everyday, and she would in-return leave us nice flower displays or extra towels. The nightly entertainment was pretty lame however the Latin dance night was very good. The pool was ok but we were there for the beach (a very short walk from hotel) and I have to say it was the most AMAZING beach I have EVER seen. The water was the clearest/bluest I’ve seen and NOT ONCE were we haggled by anyone (unlike Dominican Republic/Mexico beaches). Being two young women we always felt very safe and never uncomfortable. We would walk the main street in Varadero to go shopping and again were never approached by anyone. I highly suggest taking the catamaran day trip. This includes transportation from hotel, snorkelling, swimming with dolphins (extra 25 cuc’s will get you a picture with you getting a kiss from dolphin), seafood (or chicken) lunch on a private island, and open bar on the catamaran. Over all we had a much needed relaxing vacation. Our ONLY complaint was the food…..the worst food I have ever had. My friend and I did try two restaurants off property and they were not that bad…but not that good either:) My suggestion would be to bring a carry on suitcase full of granola bars, crackers, peanut butter, and chips...especially if you have children.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Beachlover2Toronto
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2009

We were 3 adults and we rented a 2-bedroom apartment. The apartment was spacious and had 2 bathrooms. No, it wasn't the Ritz but it was fairly clean and it only cost me around $50 cdn per night. It's much cheaper if you book it in advance through a travel agent than directly at the hotel. The pool was really nice too. We didn't do the all inclusive but we were able to pay 5 cuc for the buffet breakfast. The breakfast was your typical Cuban style buffet breakfast. I mostly ate fried eggs with toast and coffee. The location is good too sort of downtown and only a couple of blocks from the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. The restaurants on the main street of Varadero are not so bad either. We ate at a few of them and they were very inexpensive and good. Varadero is a good place to relax in the sun and not have to spend a fortune.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends