“Beautiful Varadero!”

Ranked #10 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Toronto, Canada
“Beautiful Varadero!”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My boyfriend (25) and I (22), stayed at this resort for one week in April. We upgraded to the Royal Service section of the resort and definitely felt it was worth the extra money. We had an excellent butler, Diana who helped us with all of our needs through our stay. We also have to give a very special shout out to Alex and Nacho at the RS Beach Bar - these gentlemen were friendly and made the best pina colada's at the resort hands down and to Javier at the lobby bar who really made us feel like family during our trip. If you visit this resort - forget what you've heard about bad food in Cuba - we did not have a bad meal our entire trip! The hotel room was gorgeous - it was modern and we also enjoyed the private outdoor shower!
My only criticism of this resort was that they did allow children into the resort and specifically in the Royal Service section. We specifically looked for a resort that did not have children. We're young but really wanted this to be a week of R&R. I understand that the resort had little control over letting this family visit, however guests still payed a premium for this resort and should have been offered some compensation.

Room Tip: Ask to be located in the newly renovated section of the Royal Service! We had our travel agent reque...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Melissa D
Director Genera... P, Director General at Paradisus Princesa del Mar Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear «Melissa D » from Toronto (Canada), it is true that it is difficult not to fall in love with our majordomo service at the special section of the Paradisus Princesa del mar called « Royal Service ». Like its name mentions it, we are trying to give to our guest the best possible service of a real 5 star hotel by providing a lot of additional details which are unique and included in this formula.
The fact that we accepted kids for a few days is just exceptional since it was a compromise we had and we couldn’t refuse.
Except from that, I can see that you truly enjoyed these holidays and we will definitely inform your butler about the excellent services you received.
We hope to see you soon coming back and using our “Royal Service” faculties. Meantime I send you my best regards from the sunny island of Cuba.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,094)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Maple, Canada
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This was our second visit and I have to say it was even better. The staff was friendly, the food was improved from our last visit, last year. We ran into some old face still working at the resort.
Diana & Mirella at the pool bar were in excellent form, victor at the beach bar was making his signature Mojito, Angel was always ready with a fresh towel, Majoline was running around making sure that the resort was in tip top shape. Our rooms were alway clean and well attended too. The pool and beach always had enough room to accommodate us, and the grill by the beach, which was new this year offered the most delicious chicken, sausage, corn, pork roast, and fish I have ever tasted. After another great vacation, we are thinking seriously about taking two vacations, one in February, and one in April. Paradisus Princesa is in my opinion a great value and a beautiful resort with an amazing supporting staff to make your stay in paradise a memorable one.

Gracias a mis amigos

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 760Stefano
Dear “760Stefano” from Maple (Canada), I am so glad to see that you enjoyed even better your second stay at the Paradisus Princesa del Mar than the first which was already very good.
I want to thank you personally to recommend our hotel so highly on Trip Advisor. And to share it with us and our potential guests who will consider our hotel for their next holidays in Varadero.
I can see that you definitely enjoyed the comfort and cleanliness of your room as well as the quality of our food and the friendliness of our employees. The names you reported will be posted on our employee’s board for their knowledge and satisfaction.
Thank you also for your nice conclusion: “Paradisus Princesa is in my opinion a great value and a beautiful resort with an amazing supporting staff to make your stay in paradise a memorable one” and I hope to see you back soon in our establishment and the sunny island of Cuba.
Stoney Creek, Canada
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

We just celebrated our 39th anniversary May 17 in the most beautiful resort Paradisus Princesa del Mar Resort & Spa adult all inclusive. There is truly nothing we can say than a very positive experience and we will be back. Loilta made sure our room in block 4 was immaculate and Riowl so pleasant brought over umbrella to help shade our pool area. The food was great cooked fresh lots of choices absolutely good tasting and yes ketchup readily available in restaurant, buffet or 24/7 cafe lots of fruits and salads too also, for the sweet tooth. Entertainment every night if you wanted to join. Trust me I am the picky one and this is worth the stay. We will return to Cuba and stay at this resort. Carol + Toby

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carol T
Dear » Carol T » from Stoney Creek (Canada) thank you so much for reporting on Trip Advisor your lovely comments regarding your stay at the Paradisus Princesa del Mar.
I am glad to see that for this special occasion for your 39th anniversary, your stay was truly enjoyable and I thank you so much for recommending so highly our resort. It is good to see that you also enjoyed our facilities and quality of service as well as our nightly entertainments.
Thank you for your nice conclusion: “Trust me I am the picky one and this is worth the stay. We will return to Cuba and stay at this resort”. Make sure that this will give us the strengths to continue working hard on our services for the good of our guests.
Warmest regards from the friendly and sunny island of Cuba.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We arrived back from the resort on 16 May 2014.
Like other reviewers recently, when booking I was a little concerned about some of the negative comments on Trip Advisor but my wife and I could find little to complain about regarding this resort. We could complain about some of our fellow guests who insisted on reserving sun beds and canopies and then not using them all day but then this happens all over the world.

We were not in the Royal Service section and were pleased that we did not waste money on this as it was not necessary as we were perfectly happy with our holiday in standard.

The staff were so helpful, the food was really good and, with the exception of the Chinese restaurant 'The Bamboo' which was pretty bad, all the al la carte restaurants were very good - especially the Japanese restaurant which was such fun - take a camera!

I recommend tipping as you go but obviously only if you get good service, there was plenty of change available. So much choice at breakfast, not much choice on breakfast cereals but plenty of other options. Staff always smiling and helpful and were in no way applying pressure for tips.

The pool bar staff were particularly good, especially Mariella and Diane who always greeted us with a smile.....and it was not tip induced as we tipped the pool staff at the end of the holiday!

Sunday night entertainment was spectacular, great rock band followed by Aqua Ballet.

If you are British and like a cup of tea - take your own tea bags!

The holiday was perfect for my wife and I and I thank the Manager and all staff for their professionalism and courtesy.

Room Tip: We asked to be put in a room off the ground floor to avoid mosquitos, we were put in the 'new...
2 Thank SteveM45
Director Genera... P, Director General at Paradisus Princesa del Mar Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear “SteveM45” from Plymouth (U.K) it is always very encouraging to see that clients like you take the time to report their impression on their holidays at the Paradisus Princesa del Mar on the prestigious site of Trip Advisor and I thank you so much for doing it.
Your nice comments will definitely give us the strengths to continue working hard in improving our services for the pleasure of our guests.
I was glad to read that you had such a memorable stay in our resort and I thank you for highlighting the quality of our restaurants as well as the comfort of your room and the variety of our entertainments.
We truly hope to see you back soon in our resort and so, join the club of our repeat guestS who all have such a good memories of our facilities.
Meantime, I send you my best regards from the sunny island of Cuba.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2014

To start, let me say that I have never been to Cuba prior to this stay and so I didn't know what to expect or what's good for Cuba standards.
I chose this resort based on the majority of good reviews but kept cautious of the bad reviews.
The good reviews shed some truth as well as the bad ones.
Yes, the hotel and the grounds are very nice, beautiful lobby that you can walk out towards the pool area and the restaurant square. The beach is so beautiful, the turqoise water and white sandy beach made the trip for me- I could've stayed in a tent and still enjoyed myself- okay maybe not.
I found the food to be pretty good- I was expecting the food to be horrible and inedible from what I heard from some people- including my friends!
The variety of foods was very impressive! Breakfast foods included crepes, omelettes, french toast- Lunch we would go to the restaurant near the beach and have bbq- Supper the main area was great especially the pasta counter. IF you can, try to get a reservation for the Hilltop Restaurant it was absolutely beautiful and delicious! And the service was outstanding! (Note that the reservation system at the hotel is time consuming and dated- book online prior to coming)-
Now for the drinks- I wasn't a fan- I am a MojitoHOLIC but the Mojitos here just weren't the same as the ones I love here in Canada- I'm used to the bartender putting limes, mint and sugar in a cup- meddling it together with a shot of rum and then the club soda.....just not the same.. ladies you'll know what I'm talking about. Even the slushie margaritas or daquiris were just okay nothing specatacular so I stuck with bottled water---- warm bottled water if I may add (yes that's the spoiled Canadian talking).
I'll split the next commentary up into sections so you can get through this book:
Rooms: We stayed in a standard room with two twin beds (very small) and they were not that comfortable and the pillows were very flat. The bathroom was not cleaned properly and the shower walls had some stuff from the previous people..........BUT hey, it wasn't unbearable and the air conditioning worked fine no issues there. Our mini bar was always well stocked even though we just drank water. Housekeeping was good too - no complaints there.
Service: Good service all around EXCEPT for the lobby area where my order was continuously forgotten over a 30 minute period.
Beach: Yes people it is hard to find a chair and umbrella if you're not waking up earlier than 7:30am! And it's even more frustrating when you see empty chairs with towels on them because the early risers (seniors?) wake up to put them on the chair and leave for the whole day- many times I felt like throwing it off but I didn't AND some people (this one lady) would occupy two chairs- one for the shade and one for the sun like come on! All in all the beach is beautiful and the catamaran was a lot of fun.
Pool: Beautiful pool and beds
Entertainment: We were there for 10 days so we did hear and see a couple of repeat performances at night but they were always good and fun! My favourite was the ballet-aquatics!
Hotel in general: It was good- the food wasn't amazing nor were the rooms but like everyone would say "Hey, it's Cuba!" If you are having a hard time trying to pick a hotel just pick one that's in your price range. No hotel will be outstanding because they are not the same as hotels in Mexico- completely different. Also, be prepared to be asked to give a tip straight up- they are not shy to ask- like the guys on the transfer bus or the guy picking coconuts, or the guy who "found" you a chair that you spotted, or the guy who handed you a bottle of water....I didn't like it but others will argue against me.
Next time, I think I will want to stay in a hotel that is in the town of Varadero so that I can enjoy the night life and do more in the day time (even though I did go to Havana). If you are single, re-think coming here because most people were in their late 60's OR were with their significant other.

Room Tip: Like all reviews: check that the hot water and air conditioning work and you're good to go! We w...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank M P
Dear “Monica P” from Calgary (Canada), it is with great pleasure that I have been reading your nice comments on Trip Advisor concerning your stay at the Paradisus Princesa del Mar.
It is really encouraging to see that you truly enjoyed our night entertainments, the comfort of your room and the friendliness of our employees.
I could also see that you particularly like the quality of our buffet and “a la carte” restaurants and specially our “Hill Top” gourmet restaurant.
I am glad that, for your first rip ever in Cuba you choose our hotel and I thank you for recommending it so highly.
We hope to see you soon back in the sunny island of Cuba and I send you my best regards.
bedfordshire
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We are just back again from our second time at the fantastic Princesa Del Mar, what a great hotel this is. We were lucky enough to stay in the Royal Section but the main hotel blocks look great too. The grounds are fantastic and kept lovely by the gardeners.
We visited all the restaurants and they were all to our liking, had some wonderful meals there. The buffet at lunchtimes are vast, so much to choose as is breakfast, both in Royal section and the main areas. There are lots of bars to visit in the evenings and if it does rain, we were lucky enough to have great weather there is an inside lobby plus piano bar and cigar bar.
The swimming pools are to die for, again the main pool and royal section are both lovely and kept spotless.
Would like to say a huge thank you to our butlers Miguel and William who make the holiday extra special for you, they just cant do enough. Also the barman in Royal, Jean was great too as they all were.
Our room was kept spotless by our lovely friendly housekeeper too.
If you are a beach person, the beach is to die for as well, lovely stretch both ways of white sand, can walk for ages both ways if you desire.
We have already booked it again, we just love it there and the Cuban people are great.
If you do go to Cuba, please take extra clothes for the locals and soaps etc., they don't have much and they so happy and grateful when you give them something, pencils for the children, anything really.
Book this hotel and go and relax and enjoy.
The open top double decker bus stops right outside, this is well worth the 5 CUC PP to go all around Varadero, takes about 3 hours if you do the whole road trip but its a great way to see it all.

Room Tip: They are all lovely in my eye.
2 Thank chelseabeds
Dear “chelseabeds” from Bedfordshire, it is such a great pleasure to receive nice comments from a rip Advisor’s “Gran critic” and I thank you for taking the time to share with us and our readers your feedback on your stay at the Paradisus Princesa del Mar.
I am glad to see that, on your second visit to our hotel, you have been enjoying so much the quality of our food as well as the friendliness of our employees and all our services.
It is true that the “Royal Service” makes people feel like at home and we are trying to look after every single little details in order to make their sty as memorable as possible.
I can see that you already booked our hotel for your third visit and we will be waiting for you in the sunny island of Cuba.
Warmest regards and thank you again.
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Just returned from a two week stay at the Paradisus Princesa del Mar. We checked it out in
January for a one week stay and came back because we loved the beach, the resort layout
and landscaping, the food selection and the wonderful staff.
My wife and I are sixty and sixty one and we enjoyed another relaxing stay. Long beach walks
in either direction in the mornings, reading a good book on the beach, afternoon cocktails in the
lobby and fine dining in the evening, taking in the occasional show. The Aqua-Ballet show at the
pool is amazing. This resort has an excellent staff that in some instances have worked there
for ten years. We enjoyed their company and service and it made for a very pleasant stay.
We have to mention Yelie, Barbarita and Christy at the buffet. Oslayda, Ketty and Sandy at the
lobby bar with little Annerys. Yusmila at the piano bar. We would return to the Princesa just to
see our friend Dianelis at the buffet. Melia Hotels is very lucky to have such excellent people
working for them.
The availability of some of the restaurants on some of the evenings was not there this trip but
it is not peak season, numbers of guests are limited so we understood that management has
to trim back somehow. Ruben did his best to accommodate our wishes and we were thankful
for that.
If the price point is right we will be back, because the quiet, relaxed atmosphere of this
home.

3 Thank Roka_8
Director Genera... P, Director General at Paradisus Princesa del Mar Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear “Roka_8” from Ontario (Canada), a warm thank you for your lovely comments posted on Trip Advisor concerning your stay at the Paradisus Princesa del Mar.
Comments like yours give us the strengths to continue working hard on our operation and I am so please to see that you truly enjoyed our resort with your husband.
I have to thank you also for mentioning the names of some of our employees who contributed to make your stay enjoyable.
I am glad to see that you enjoyed our services and the friendliness of our staff as well as the pool area, ideal place to relax.
Your conclusion:” the quiet, relaxed atmosphere of this beautiful resort is what we like for a restful vacation. It may just become our home away from home” makes us hope that you will come back to visit us in the sunny island of Cuba.
Meantime, I send you my warmest regards and I wish you an excellent summer in your lovely country.