Paradisus Princesa del Mar Resort & Spa
US$168
US$123
  • Pool
6,453 results
All reviewsroyal servicerock househill topracquet clubhilltop restaurantport royalpiano barjapanese restauranta la carte restaurantsroyal sidelobsterbutler servicedinner reservationsjunior suitewater balletmain buffetspanish lessons
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Paradisus Princesa del Mar between June 29th to July 6th, 2014. We are in our mid 30’s. This was our first time to Varadero, but 2nd time to Cuba. We are typical travelers to Punta Cana, however decided to book a week in Cuba due to some great last minute deals. We did not upgrade to the Royal Service.

I must omit, I was a bit leery traveling to Cuba as the last time we traveled to Cuba was not one to remember. This time I was pleasantly surprised.

Upon our arrival (11:00am), we were quickly checked in, and two Bellboys took us on a golf cart to our room. This was great as we thought we would not be able to get into our room till later on. We stayed in Room 6236 which is one of the closer buildings to the ocean. Our room was located on the 2nd floor with a partial view of the ocean. I would assume if we were on the 3rd floor, you would have had a better view of the ocean. The room looked recently renovated, with a flat screen TV, very clean washroom and tiled shower stall with a glass wall. Within 15 minutes of us settling in, the phone rang and it was guest services inquiring if everything was okay with the room. This was a nice touch to ensure that we were satisfied with the room. Our Housekeeper Dayami ensured our room was clean everyday and changed our linens when requested.

RESORT:
The grounds are well maintained, and I could not believe the pristine condition of the pools. The water was crystal clear and the pools were constantly being looked after while we were there. Jesus and Gustavo were responsible for the conditions of the pools and everyday they worked so hard to keep the areas clean, and even provided you with an umbrella to offer shad from the sun. Great job Gentlemen. We also met Danny who was one of the Groundskeepers. One hot, humid day he was busy trimming the trees and I walked up to him to tell him what a great job he was doing and gave him a small tip. He thanked me and told me to wait a moment. Danny returned with a coconut that was cut for my wife. The returned favour or “gratitude” was something that I will never forget. The staff at this resort work tirelessly everyday and we appreciated it.

FOOD:
There where 4 a la cart restaurants: Japanese (Hibachi), Oriental, French, and Italian. We ate at the Japanese and the Oriental. I suggest that you contact the Resort before you travel to get reservations when traveling during the busy season. There also was the Grand Buffet that was open. The wait staff was fantastic. Every morning we would be waited on by Eledis and Mercy. They quickly found out that we liked hot sauce with our eggs and every morning when we arrived, hot sauce would be sitting at our table. Both ladies were very personable and it was a pleasure to meet both of them. We also had the pleasure of being waited on by Yosvani at the a la carte restaurants.

There was a good variety of food. Cleanliness was apparent in all areas where the food was being served. Raw meat consisting of chicken, turkey, sausage, beef, pork (properly chilled and handled) was available to be cooked by a chef to your liking. Joel who was one of the chef’s who manned the pasta station was also very personable and we got to know him quite well over the course of the week. He really took pride in making our pasta dishes and crepes.

Don’t forget the there are two other restaurants that you can eat lunch at. The Port Royal Cuban Restaurant (by the beach) offers an open fire pit where they cook a variety of meats (Turkey legs, Shrimp, Fish). The other, Rock House Restaurant, offers a light menu including great thin pizza and its open 24 hours.

STAFF:
As mentioned in my Title, customer service was paramount while we stayed at this resort. Miriela (Pool Bar), and Yuniel and Yaimai (Piano Bar) were very friendly and spoke very good English. If I was to say what would bring me back to the resort it would be staff like Yuniel and the Events Staff especially Freddy, Brian, Skull, Felix, Dianys and the ladies (Sorry never got all of your names). The events staff work so hard to motivate the guests, but unlike some resorts, they are not pushy. They will ask once and then move on. We participated everyday. Thanks to Freddy for the dance lessons, and Mayte for the Spanish lessons. Also thank you to Peter in the Gym.

Finally I want to mention 2 examples of how this resort went out of their way to make our week a long lasting memory. Firstly, we were celebrating our 12th Wedding Anniversary. The one night we ate at the Japanese a la carte restaurant, we were surprised with our own table and to finish of the meal, staff brought out a cake to celebrate our milestone. Lastly, as we sat with Yuniel in the Piano Bar one night we had the opportunity to meet Manuel Agullo. He asked if we had plans for dinner the following night and invited us to try the Miramar Restaurant located in the Royal Service Section. The next night we met up with him and he took us in a golf cart to the Restaurant. We enjoyed a lovely meal (Chateaubriand, and Gnocchi) and were spoiled by the exceptional service by Joanna, who ended up to be Yuniel’s wife.

Be sure to look past some of the comments posted on the site about this resort. It’s safe, clean, friendly, and the staff met our every expectation. This resort is great value. We would definitely return to this resort.

Lastly, if you tip, make sure to use CUC. If from Canada, do not give Loonies or Toonies as staff cannot exchange this.

Thank you Mr. Martinez Perez to you and your exceptional staff for creating lasting memories for my wife and I.

Craig and Robin Kummer

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Craig K
Director Genera... P, Director General at Paradisus Princesa del Mar Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear “CraigK” from Toronto (Canada), thank you so much for taking the time to report your true feeling after your stay at the Paradisus Princesa del Mar on the Trip Advisor’s site.
It is always so good to see that we full filled your expectations and that you left our resort with such a good memory of your stay amongst us.
Thank you for highlighting the friendliness of our employees as well as the quality of our food and your satisfaction concern our services overall.
We will definitely post on our “hall of fame” the employee’s names you mentioned on your comments.
We truly hope to see you soon back in our resort and, meantime, I send you my best regards from the sunny island of Cuba.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

This was a perfectly reasonable hotel and I didn't have any major issues however there was certain things which made this stay less than perfect

-the variable standard of staff-some were great and very helpful (Rueban deserves a shout-out) whereas others were plain rude and just could not be bothered (the woman in the computer room deserves a special mention)
-The buffet-although the sheer quantity of food was impressive, the quality and variety were pretty average. I stayed three days but I could imagine being really bored by what was on offer had I stayed another night
-The restaurants-I visited the one on the hill (I forget the name) and the food was very, very standard. For dessert, I ordered a chocolate torte which turned out to be a heap of melted chocolate.
-Activities-these don't appear to be widely advertised and sometimes even staff didn't know where an activity is going on. The tennis lesson I had was very good but except for that things ran late (I was told that things run at Cubana not Londres time!) or were poorly organised.

The proximity to the beach, the pool and the room itself were all lovely.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sam H
Director Genera... P, Director General at Paradisus Princesa del Mar Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear “Sam H” from Birmingham (U.K), thank you so much for reporting your constructive comments on Trip advisor about your stay in our hotel.
I am naturally disappointed by the fact that you did not totally enjoyed your stay with us and I am sorry we couldn’t reach 100% your expectations.
We will definitely look after your comments in order to understand and wee what can be fixed as per your experience in our hotel.
Most of our guests are sending us very good comments about both variety and quality of our food at the buffet and in our restaurants. However I naturally respect your opinion and I am really sad to see that you do not share the majority of our guest’s feedback concerning the food in our hotel.
Thank you again for your sincerity and I truly hope you may give us a second chance in the next future.
Best regards.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed for a week at Paradisus Princesa del Mar Royal Service ("RS") and it was overall great. Seriously, the price difference of RS vs normal hotel is 100% worth it. You will not regret your choice.

We went as a couple only, 27 and 25 years old. It was our fifth time in a 5 star resort in the carabean.

First of all, you get a private transport from and to the airport, so you don't have to stop at lots of hotels as the Paradisus is one of the latest on the road.

Once you get there, they come pick you up with a little kart to go to the private RS lobby, which is new, modern, beautiful and, simply, great.

Then, you have lots of other extras such as free wifi, RS only restaurants which are delicious, private section on the beach, private RS pool, etc. It's just amazing everything you get.

Rooms: small buildings, not tons of rooms, quiet, no annoying music, no stupid people around = a nice sleep at night and even during the day. Everything's close to your room, so no worries if you have to go back multiple times during your day because, let's say, you have the flue. Rooms are nice and clean. You need something in your room: call your butler and it will be there in the next minutes. Beds are soft and comfy. Because we were in low season, we got a free upgrade to a swim up room, which was amazing! We had our private outdoor bed with the pool just a few steps away from our room!

Food: the food was overall great! Our favourite restaurant was the Hilltop, which was, you're gonna laugh, on top of a hill. The view was great: ocean, pool, palm trees, etc. Everything plate was well served and had a nice taste. The wine was good too.

Beach: enough chair for everybody even when RS is full. You don't have to "reserve" it at 6AM. The beach was great, it's Varadero you know!

Pool: big enough for all RS guests. Very clean, quiet and peaceful. Plus there was this snack bar just outside the pool where we could have lunch a la carte with a nice variety of meal.

Service: great overall. We were especially pleased with the service our butlers gave us: Kenya and Arisnay. They were both nice, polite, well mannered and just amazing. They knew us by our names. They knew our preferences. Each day, they would make sure we didn't need anything else. Seriousy, thank you girls! Other than our butlers, we had a great time with our chef at the Sakura restaurant, he gave a really good show.

So 5/5 on everything for us. And go for RS, it's worth every penny.

Thanks!

Nicolas & Rebecca

• Stayed: June 2014
8  Thank Nicolas D

Dear “Nicolas D” de Quebec (Canada), thank you so much for reporting your comments on the Trip advisor’s web site about your stay in our hotel and to share it with our readers.
Thank you for recommending so highly our establishment and I am glad to see that you had a memorable holidays amongst us.
We are so happy to receive such a nice comment which will give us the strengths to continue working hard in making our guests comfortable.
It is true that our Royal Service has always a lot of success amongst our customers and our butler service makes definitely the difference with other hotels in Varadero.
We truly hope to see you soon back in our hotel. Warmest regards from the sunny island of Cuba.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

this resort was verry nice and clean,,,,good food,,,,happy people,,NICE BEACH,,,large room,,,confortable bed,,,ect..we met verry nice people,,,relaxing vacation ,,i would recommend this resort to all my family and friends

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank YAMON154958
Director Genera... P, Resident Manager at Paradisus Princesa del Mar Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear YAMON154958,

It is nice to hear that you had a nice time here with us at Paradisus Princesa and that you enjoyed our overall facilities.

For all of us here at Paradisus Princesa del Mar it would be a real pleasure to welcome you back here with us any time soon.

Kind regards

Manuel Martinez
Resident Manager

Reviewed 3 July 2014

My fiancee and I decided to spent a weekend this spring there, from the arrival the service was perfect, royal service is amazing, the quality of the Japanese restaurant is remarkable. we got an incredible high standard room with view to the beach, great for sunset. our butler gave a perfect service, in a short time he get to know all our preferences, always smiling and kind. a buffet that satisfy the most diverse clients. if you are a person that love to read in your spot , have a good habano with the best Cuban rum or any of the good whiskys or cognac, there is no better place. waking up with a cuban coffee, 100% natural juice and fresh fruits makes your day start perfect after a romantic night. for sure if you love to enjoy the Cuban weather, beach and cigars is a unique place, compare to any top resort in the Caribbean and beyond. thanks to the staff, you are the best component of this paradise, specially general Director Dario that was taking care of us the whole time, thanks for your attention and kindness. we will repeat it for our honeymoon

Room Tip: for couples choose the room by the beach, are quite and romantic, for family with kids the ones by the pool and the buffet may work better, any way enjoy it , it is a paradise
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MichyKary
Director Genera... P, Resident Manager at Paradisus Princesa del Mar Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear MichyKary,

We would like to thank you for your kind words here on tripadvisor, we are really glad to hear that you had an excellent time and enjoyed the facilities of our hotels.

The special mention of our Royal Service and the exclusive amenities offered is very satisfying for us as we are really proud of being able to offer this kind of excellent service here in our hotel.

In the name of the whole hotel here at Paradisus Princesa del Mar I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write your comments and it would be a big pleasure to have you back here with us soon.

Kind regards