“Boring”

Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Toronto, Canada
“Boring”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

Just returned from a week at the Melia Marina Varadero. It was my first trip to Cuba and admittedly, my expectations were low, but nonetheless, I was not prepared for what awaited me. After clearing costumes, I walked into a melee of people, no line or any semblance of order, each was trying to elbow their way towards the security scanning machines to get through. I was a bit surprised to say the least, since we've just disembarked off the plane with the items that we boarded on with, so what is the purpose of scanning our belongings? This first taste of Cuba wasn't off to a good start already!

Once through the scanning process, I walked out and found my tour representative easily and quickly, a plus! She told me to find my bus number and pointed towards a sea of buses...just as I was contemplating how best to navigate through the throng of buses and find my bus, I was greeted by a fellow right next to the tour rep. who quickly took hold of my bag and led me to the bus. All along, I understood this to be a service provided by the tour operators. I thanked him profusely and decided to stand outside while the bus was waiting for others. The helpful fellow came back and asked me for tip, keep in mind that I am aware that one must tip, but there was a bit of a dilemma here. I hadn't had a chance to purchase any local currency as yet. I tried to explain this situation to the helpful fellow, but he muttered something and walked away. YES, I felt like a heel!

The bus ride to the resort was informative, the tour guide shared a lot of mores with us and by the time we got off at the resort I felt I was sufficiently armed with the know how of Cuba. Check in was fine and friendly. Though unlike another reviewer here, I was not greeted with any cocktail. I asked the clerk if any food was available at this time, she said that the pool bar was open 24 hours where I can find something to eat. I was taken to my room, which happened to be what is called a condo apt on a kart, and since I was unable to find my own way there, I was faced with the dilemma of not having any coins to tip. I explained to the fellow who took me that I will make it up to him the next time. He was understanding and this time I was spared of being felt like a heel. He took me up to my room, showed me the offerings inside the room. I asked him if he'd give me about five minutes and then take me to the pool bar, which he did. The pool bar is just that, the only offerings here were hamburgers, hotdogs, pizza and sandwiches. I however, do not eat any of these, so not much to choose from. I ended up having a pizza, which was okay after I scraped off the excess grease which was floating on top. I asked for a mojito, I was told it can't be made because they didn't have any mint. I had a cappuccino, and it was excellent.

Next morning, I had my first go at the buffet. I selected poached eggs and toast. The eggs were stone cold. The toast was excellent, since I toasted the bread myself. Totally disappointed with breakfast. My next trip to the buffet, lunch. Again, everything and I mean everything I selected was, not lukewarm or even tepid, just COLD. Again, disappointed. I thought to myself, perhaps the buffet will really shine at dinner time, but...sadly, no.

I did the a la carte restaurants. I was only allowed to book in two of the three offered. I decided on the Latin and the French themed ones. The Latin restaurant called the Don Ernesto was a great improvement over the buffet, the food was hot and edible, though lacking in the "Latin flavourings" and overall tasteless. The meat tornadoes (plural) was actually one tornado, and was supposed to be with a chimichurri sauce, which was not detected by this diner. The staff was very friendly and lovely. Oh, and I had coins to tip! The French themed restaurant seated me in the very dark and empty part of the room...I was not happy. I asked for a change of table and was told that the restaurant was fully booked for the evening...though there were only six other tables that were occupied and they were in the bright and cheerful part of the room. So, I accepted my fate and forged on and looked ahead to the delights of french cuisine. The bus girl poured water in my glass, handed me the menu and gave me the welcoming cocktail of the evening...a sparkling wine with some lemon/lime mix. I looked the menu over and waited for the waiter/waitress, and waited and waited and waited some more. A full 15 minutes went by and I was still waiting and contemplated leaving. When lo and behold a big woman comes without a hello or a smile, pad of paper and a pen in hand and said: "What you want?" Now, I am fully aware of linguistic differences and the challenges of the English language, but the tone and facial expressions always helps one along in deciphering, and trust me there was no mistaking of rudeness here. I said to her that she should offer me some wine, to which her curt answer, "You order food first" Now, I have admitted that this was my first time in Cuba, but certainly not my first time in a restaurant. I should be sipping on my wine first, and then order the food. So, I asked for the wine, "You want red wine white wine?" I asked what they have to offer. She said they have a Chilean Cab sauv or a merlot. I had thought that in a French restaurant, perhaps a french wine would have been offered...no, only Chilean. Even then, she said that I must, and the emphasis is on the must order my food now. So, needless to say, I got my glass of wine and my first course together. I had selected a puff pastry with vegetables provincial. What a joke! The puff pastry was half baked, the vegetables were the frozen variety, cubes of carrots, corn and green beans in a tasteless beige goop. I tried to eat it, but I couldn't. My next course was pumpkin soup. The soup was a thick goo, but at least it was seasoned. Had a few mouthfuls and gave up. My piece d'resistance came to the table and I must admit that the presentation was pleasing and my heart even skipped a beat in anticipation of biting into something tasteful. My first attempt at slicing into the chicken breast stuffed with something was a prelude into what was to come. The fork would not pierce into the chicken and the knife could not slice into what turned out to be overcooked chicken, and the mouthful was bland piece of chewy meat that was difficult to swallow. The wine ...well, let me be kind and say that it should have been used to prepare some sort of sauce for the chicken. It was at this stage of my fine dining, that I decided to leave. As I neared the door to exit, the big woman who took my order blurted:" Not tasty?". I answered: "No". She made no attempt to offer me any suggestion to make my dining experience better.

The resort as it stands currently (Jan 04 - Jan 11 2014) is boring. I suppose if one only wants to do the relaxing beach and sun thing then its perfect, because its a quiet resort. The few activities provided are also beach related. Other activities at cost provided are: day excursion to Havana, a catamaran day -- this includes snorkeling, lunch on an island, optional swim with the dolphins (extra fee), a jeep day trip into the countryside and swim/snorkeling. excursion. I did the Havana day trip and enjoyed it thoroughly. I walked into the "disco" one evening after dinner, around 10ish, and found it empty. The evening shows are okay, though the song list of the ones I did catch are very dated...early 80's pop charts. I would have liked to have seen Cuban themed shows.

I have travelled extensively around the world and I am very clear in my understanding of a 5 star rating. This resort is not a 5 star, it should be properly rated at a 3 star.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank Traveller0515
Gildas_Renaux, Director General at Hotel Melia Marina Varadero, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
Dear “Traveller” from Toronto…. First I was shocked when I read the tittle of your comments. Then I understood why you decided to go for such an aggressive wording…
For what I see, you were shocked since the beginning by the way you entered in the country by checking-in at the airport. Then it looks that your trip to the hotel was a bit confused and you arrived to the resort already with a bad feeling of Cuba.
I am afraid you fall into what we call the “Murphy law” where, when it starts badly, people continue looking everything the bad way. I am glad to see that you were greeted upon arrival with a smile and that our golf car driver has been waiting for you to escort you late at night to our 24 hours cafeteria. Like any other “cafeteria” it is true that we are not offering a gastro menu but the simple food items people are expecting to have in a Cafeteria such as pizza, hamburger, hot dog, etc…
I can see that you enjoyed our Latino restaurant but I am sorry to see that you were disappointed by our French restaurant to which you dedicated half of your comments. I feel bad for that because this is normally one of our best sellers amongst our customers…
It is true that our resort is more a “quiet resort” as you say than a “club med” kind of resort.
Is it boring as your comment’s tittle says? Well… we do offer all kind of facilities on the marina side such as a day in catamaran with a unique experience of swimming with the dolphin, scuba diving, deep sea fishing, etc… We do have two major swimming pools with daily activities and a wet bar + a 24 hours snack restaurant… On the beach side we provide sailing experience with catamarans, sea bicycle and kayaks, guest activities and a beach restaurant and bar. At night we do have every night a show on the Marina + music entertainment in the lobby + a temporary mini disco until we open the Cuban village soon (next coming month of May) next door which will incudes a mega 600 pax disco ion 2 floors as well as a jazz bar, 8 allays bowling and a sport bar + 3 additional restaurants and boutiques.
It is true that we are systematically avoiding all kind of aggressive music or activities such as rap, reggaeton, karaoke since we want to preserve the tranquility of our guest.
I thank you again for your comments and I am sorry you did not fully enjoy our resort like most of our guests do.
However I hope you will give us a second chance upon you next return in Cuba if you decide to come back on the island.
Best regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

Alright this may be lengthy a review but I promise this will really help you in your decision should you be considering this hotel. It will give you a pretty good idea of what to expect if you decide to stay at this resort.

First off, would I recommend this hotel to other fellow travellers? Yes, but with a little forewarning. I won’t waste your time on trivial matters such as mattress firmness and what not, but will dive down to the three main things: the hotel, the beach and the food! Please note that we were there from January 4 to 11, 2013.

The Hotel:
The hotel is very nice and modern. We stayed in the condo section which is directly beside the marina. Rooms were VERY spacious and the amenities resembled what you would typically find at home. However; perhaps this has to do with the type of room or the section of this hotel, but the rooms were not meticulously cleaned after the initial client change over room preparation. Even that cleaning was done pretty furtively as the glass dining room table still had traces of what the previous guests ate, drank and perhaps did on that table.

The whole block of condos was always running out of towels and we had to keep asking every day for more clean towels as they kept taking all of them away (even if hung on hooks) but wouldn’t return the proper amount back to accommodate the 2 adults, 2 children in the room. Although they were quick to deliver them, it was just a little hassle we had to go through every day. Considering the amount we had to pay extra to stay in that section, I was a little disappointed about the cleanliness and the whole room restock thing.

Overall, even if the hotel is new, it is still somewhat unclean. The public bathrooms in the hotel are definitely not to Canadian standards so keep that in mind if you are skittish.

Also, keep in mind the hotel is STILL under construction and will probably be fabulous once all is completed. Although phase 1 seems to be complete, there is a whole section still under construction and the new beach that will be in the marina section is also not completed.

The beach:
Prepare to wake at dawn if you want a chair. The beach is nice but it is small. It is currently located between two other hotels (the Paradisius and the Blau) and it feels that way. That section is still undergoing transformation so it has an unfinished feel to it. It is also not very large so when high tide is in, it reduces the space even more. I cannot imagine what it must have been like during high season as it was impossible for us to get a chair any time after 8:00am. Funny how the chairs were all covered with beach towels and personal items yet a very very limited number of people were actually there to use them. This situation was pretty much true up until close to noon. Seriously, the hotel knows the beach space is quite limited; they should not tolerate people leaving towels on empty chairs for hours on end. It is frustrating for other guests and I saw a lot of unhappy people turn back and head over to the pool day after day. Considering the size of the beach, this would not be hard to monitor. Cruise ships do it…

A note to the wise, the chairs at the beach mostly all have some defect or another. The ones by the pools are however in mint condition and you can have a nice plush full length cushion! A nice little plus 

Like I said, another beach is under construction so the situation may change in years to come.

The food:
This is where the bad comes out. The food at this hotel really brings it back to a 3 star. We have stayed in other hotels in Varadero and this was by far the worst. We actually had to beg to obtain extra a la carte reservations because the buffet was just horrible. This may be a supply issue but over the course of the week this became an issue for most of the guests. The buffet is repetitive as in every lunch and dinner is the same every day. A few changes occur but truly, not enough to make you think this is new offerings. Most of the fish and meat is cooked to order and this makes for long lines and long waits. Also, beware of food safety issues because the same thongs are used to handle raw meat and your cooked meat. Had to toss a few plates out because the staff would use thongs or spatulas to put the next order of meat on and turn right around and use the same utensil to hand me my cooked meat. Also no seafood in sight….hubby was disappointed about that.

The pool restaurant is opened 24hrs but has limited fares. Beware pork is ham in every restaurant. The restaurant overlooking the beach and ocean is to be avoided at all costs unless you want to spend an hour and a half waiting on a plate that isn’t worth waiting this long for.

The a la carte restaurants are good enough. The French is probably the best one. If you have kids that are a bit picky, avoid the Asian themed restaurant. It is a tasting menu so no choices in the food you get and no kids menu.

A final note about the staff and the service: The staff is incredible, always smiling, always helpful. This hotel is located right on the marina so keep that in mind if you plan to travel with young children and stay in the condo section. This hotel has a lot of security, probably more than I have ever seen in all my travels down south. The night life and entertainment is also very minimal. Keep that in mind if you are the type of traveller that is looking for an all-out night life experience. If peace and quiet is your thing, book here, you won’t regret it. I think that with time and a few improvement s, this hotel can become the five stars it is advertising and claiming to be.

As this is Cuba, anything can happen and it is up to you to let it ruin your vacation or turn it into a great vacation story to tell your friends and family!

Will you be satisfied at the MMV, probably but it will depend on how much you paid for your trip overall. 

Voila, I hope this review helps you out.

Room Tip: Condo section rooms are bigger, nicer and quieter. Also, there is a beautiful roof top pool and an a...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Isabelle B
Gildas_Renaux, Director General at Hotel Melia Marina Varadero, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Isabelle, thank you for reporting your honest and constructive comments on Trip Advisor.
Let’s start by the good point: I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your apartment on the hotel located on the Marina as well as our a la carte restaurants and the genuine friendly attitude of our employees.
The lees good points: our beach is actually, still under, construction and very soon (1 to 2 months) we are going to receive the final amount of sunbeds we are waiting for. We are also actually building a giant BBQ on the pre-beach which will definitely change the guest’s culinary experience on the sea side.
Our buffet so far reached an index of 79% satisfaction amongst our customers. I fully agree the fact that we have room to grow and I wish that very soon we will reached the 94% satisfaction index we have on the a la carte restaurant.
I am glad to see that you will recommend our resort to other customers and that you say: “…Also, keep in mind the hotel will probably be fabulous once all is completed”
Your comments will certainly help us in improving our facilities and I thank you for that. We are actually in the second position of Trip Advisor out of the 59 hotels of Varadero and on the 3d place of all the hotels in Cuba. Our goal is to take over hopefully soon the number one position and I am confident that we will reach this position as soon as we fine tune the hotel, once the entire resort will be completed.
Best regards from the sunny Cuba.
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

We just returned from this trip yesterday (Jan 12). We stayed on The Level and from our arrival we were treated like VIPs. We had a special checkin and welcome drink and Oscar gave us a tour to let us know where everything was. He even booked us into The Level restaurant for dinner that night - our flight was delayed because of the LOVELY Toronto weather :) - and by the time we'd returned to our room that night he had also booked us at each of the A La Carte restaurants over the next four nights. The staff on The Level were all fantastic.

Since this is a new hotel, the vegetation has a bit of growing to do. Once the palms are fully grown and the construction/golf course is complete it will really be lovely, though it's sad to see that so much natural vegetation will be cut down for the golf course. In any case, this hotel has some lovely views of the marina and the pool and beach beyond. Ocean on all sides.

Wifi is available in the lobby but you have to pay for access cards. There is also an internet room off the lobby for which you also need access cards (but i suspect it's probably less expensive). Wifi is free for guests on The Level & it works in the main lobby plus the Level's lobby & restaurant.

The staff were lovely and will go out of their way to make sure you're having a great time. Bars were all fine. Service was a bit slow at times in the Lobby Bar but you can always use your own two feet to get up and walk over :) Great musicians every night in the lobby.

We didn't go to any shows so I can't really comment on that except to say that if you want a quieter room, be sure to book one with a pool view. (I heard some guests saying that the club was loud on the Marina side). Ours was perfectly quiet on the pool side.

Food was okay. It's Cuba.

The a la cartes weren't great. Italian was kinda... not good to me but i heard other people saying they enjoyed it. The Asian restaurant was okay but I don't eat fish and skipped a large portion of the menu. The Latin restaurant was REALLY good the first night we went so we rebooked a second night (and cancelled our reservations at the French rest.) and .. it was not as good the second night. So, not sure what happened there but it was disappointing. I think the biggest problem is consistency really. Hard to say when/who is going to enjoy what/where. :)

And while I don't go to cuba for the food but I really wish they would just make real Cuban food more often instead of going over the top on other things that just don't pan out. Beach restaurant was good (we had roasted chicken and pasta) and made to order. Snack bar was .. meh. The food in the buffet was not warm - almost ever. Restaurant on The Level makes breakfast to order and the food is good there. We never went hungry.

Pool is lovely. Beach is lovely - about a 5 minute walk from the pool - though there are golf carts running back and forth all the time.

Lots of chairs but it would be nice if the umbrellas at the pool could be bigger, moved or adjustable/tilting because they don't provide much shade as they are now. I burn easily and became the Shade Chaser because i had to keep moving my chair.

Overall i would say this is a higher end hotel for Cuba but for Canadian standards probably closer to a 3-star. But, having said that none of the downfalls of the place ruined our trip. we had a great time.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms on the Pool Side. Club is on the Marina Side.
4 Thank JupiterZowie
Dear JupiterZo, thank you for you lovely comments on your stay at the Melia Marina Varadero and for reporting your impression on Trip Advisor.
I am glad to see that particularly enjoyed our “The level” service with its concierge service and its exclusive access to the panoramic restaurant located on the 7th floor overlooking the Marina.
It is also good to see that you like the genuine and friendly Cuban attitude of our employees and the quality of our musicians. This is what Cuba is all about! I can see that you generally enjoyed the quality of our food and we will definitely take into consideration your suggestion to provide our guest with a better local food culinary experience.
Concerning the shade on the pool side we are about to receive additional umbrellas since, as you know, the hotel just opened its door a few month ago and we still missing the full amount of umbrellas.
Finally I thank you for saying that overall you had a great time in our resort and we hope to see you back at the Meliá Marina Varadero.
Warmest regards from Cuba.
ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

Check in was quick, reception staff very friendly and professional. Rooms were clean and spacious. All staff on the resort are genuinely caring, friendly and helpful. Buffet, always lots of food and yes there were some strange items on the breakfast buffet but there was something for everyone. Beach was long but not so deep but still beautiful. You can walk out a long ways into the water on a very long sandbar. Resort was geared towards families and couples, it was nice not to have party music all the time around the pool, games and music late afternoon were entertaining. Watch for the Living Statues in the lobby in the evening if you go, they were amazing and fun to watch the kids reactions to them, this was something I`ve never seen at any other resort we`ve been to. Had a chance to meet the general manager and he stood and spoke with us about 15 minutes, he treats his staff with respect and kindness and it reflects everywhere on the resort. We did have our favourite bartender...Jenny at the Marina bar...the one at the far end. Visit her if you go. I would recommend this resort to friends and family without hesitation. My last and final comment is to make sure you tip the staff, they work very hard to make your stay a good one.

Room Tip: 4th or 5th floor facing the pool and the water. Quiet and just nice to wake up to the view!
3 Thank ellemay_7
Gildas_Renaux, Director General at Hotel Melia Marina Varadero, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear ellemay_7, thank you for such a nice report on Trip Advisor about your stay at the Meliá Marina Varadero.
I am glad to see that, like most of our customers, you left our resort with such a good impression on our establishment.
I can see that you truly enjoy our services and especially y the quality of our food as well as the genuine friendly hospitality of our staff. Thank you also for you nice comments concerning my presence on the floor.
We hope to see you soon on the island of Cuba.
London, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

I have been to lesser hotels and have found them to be over and above what this resort claims to be. Definately not a 5 star.

Buffet for any meal is lacking in taste or reheated. I have never ever heard of having brussel sprouts for breakfast. The only saving grace is the omelettes (if you have the time to stand in line for a good 25 minutes and some of the pastry.

We were surprised at how rude some of the staff were if you don't tip every day. They will completely ignore you or slam down the eating utensils and then walk away. This happened to my friend and I advised that if I had been there, I would have taken her to task and brought the situation up to the manager.

The al a carte Don Ernesto was very good but the FRENCH....horrible!!! Lobster was like rubber and when advising the staff, although they were apologetic, did nothing for our appetite. We advised that we would like our dessert and sat for 25 minutes. Finally gave up and walked out.

I paid good money for this trip and would NEVER go back. I will return to the Domnican, Jamaica or San Adres Island before I would consider giving this place a good recommendation.

I must say that our young gal taking care of our room (Elysia) was the highlight of the trip. If you can imagine. She took care of us exceptionally well. Always clean towels and clean room.

9 Thank Judy B
Dear Judy B from London (Canada). It is hard for us to understand how you could have left our resort with such a terrible impression of your stay. When you tell us about the rudeness of our staff I am just chocked since more than 99% of the feedback we received on Trip Advisor glorify the fantastic and friendly attitude of our employees… and if there is a place where locals never beg for a tip it is precisely the island of Cuba and specifically our resort (based again on all the comments we received so far).
It is just impossible to have people standing on line 25 minutes for an omelet at the breakfast since we do have two egg’s stations on the buffet. It is true that we may offer sometime Brussels sprouts for breakfast the same way we do offer red or green grilled pepper, grilled onions, cooked sweet corn, sauteed green beans, etc… as an option for vegetarian customers. I do not see anything wrong with that.
I will not even mention the lobster we serve on the French restaurant that you qualified as "rubber"…and the rest.
Finally it looks like the only good thing of your stay was the friendly attitude of a maid called “Elysia”. Unfortunately there is no such a “Elysia” ( not even a Lisa, Elisa, Alicia or somebody close to this name) working in our maid staff nor in the hotel.
All that is very strange….
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

Overall our experience was amazing. As soon as we arrived at the hotel we was greeted with a cocktail drink and all the a la cartes were all booked for us.

Room:
Our room was on the 4th floor and had a breathtaking view of the pool. Our maid Barbara ensured that our room was spotless on a daily basis. Our fridge was replenished with drinks on a daily basis.

A La Carte Restaurants:
We really really enjoyed the food at the a la carte restaurants. There have been a lot of complaints about food in Cuba but the food at the restaurants was very tasty. I am a very fussy eater and I loved all the meals at the a la carte restaurants.

Buffet:
We ate at the buffet a few times, for lunch and occasional breakfast. The food isn't amazing but it isn't as bad as some people have written on this site. The pasta station is great and the breads are always fresh and warm.

We adventured out to Havana on a private tour. I definitely recommend asking for ANI she took us around old Havana in a classic car and she was very knowledgable. We also went on the Jeep, snorkelling, farm tour. It was a great adventure but be sure to book it on a day when it's warm. As we overhead other people saying they couldn't go snorkelling when they went due to the weather. We also rented a scooter and rode down to town. The beach is beautiful and there are lots of little restaurants and markets in town. The people are really friendly and its an inexpensive day trip. IF you want you can take the bus down to town too.

Area for improvement:
Nightly Entertainment
The shows were situated by the Marina. We found it a bit tough to find seats at night and as a result we couldn't really see the show properly. It would be great if the performances were on a stage.

Overall it was a fantastic trip! We would love to go back!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Amar P
Gildas_Renaux, Director General at Hotel Melia Marina Varadero, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Dear guests from Toronto, your comments on Trip Advisor will definitely help our potential customers to make their choice when having to choose for a place to stay in Varadero.
I am glad to see that, despite of a few comments concerning the food in general, you were pleasantly surprised by the quality of our cuisine in both, buffet and al la carte restaurants.
Concerning the nightly entertainment, the place where we do produce our night show is a temporary solution. As you may have noticed we are in the process of building next door a huge “cuba village” which will be ready end of May. In this village we will offer a lot of additional entertainments such as a two floors 500 persons capacity disco (where we are planning to present our night shows), plenty restaurants (Argentinian, Mexican Spanish tapas,etc…) and bars, a 8 alleys bowling with a mega sport bar with giant screens, de luxe boutiques, ice cream parlor and much more….
Again thank you for giving us the best possible ranking on Trip advisor and we hope to see you back soon in the sunny and friendly island of Cuba.
Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

The check-in was very fast and efficient, and on top of that we got upgraded to a nice suite in the condo section in the Marina! That was very nice for our family, because a hotel room may have been a bit tight. The apartment comes with a kitchen, a king-size bed with 2 flatscreen televisions, 2 single beds and a pull-out king-size. The kitchen came with a coffee roaster, a microwave, a stovetop and a washing machine. Our chambermaid was Dorkys, and she was very hospitable as my daughter was sick from Canada. We got extra blankets and pillows, which was extremely nice. The hotel staff were outstanding, because in the first room the ventilation had cigar smoke, but we were quickly moved to another suite as soon as we called. The transportation around the hotel is very quick and reliable, as they travel in electric karts that bring you to various locations, which are there as soon as you call. The beach is accessible, a 5 minute walk or a quick trip in the kart, and there is nice shade under palm trees and lounge chairs. The food is acceptable, the buffet gets a little old and repetitive after a while, it's better to reserve an a la carte or go to the grill by the pool, or the beach restaurant. The pool restaurant is open 24/7, which is quite convenient, and there is good food for kids. The extreme side of the Marina reeks of sulfur, but since the weather was somewhat windy it helped water down the strong scent. My daughter got a manicure deluxe at the spa for $38- not a bad price for my daughter was very satisfied with the extra massage and exfoliation on top of the manicure. The spa was very clean and well kept after. The service was definitely excellent, the rooms well kept after and the tourists are always taken care of. I'd recommend for the hotel to improve the buffet- I'm not sure if it's like this at all the MELIA hotels- but that would be the final touch to make this hotel amazing. One of the newest hotels in Varadero, it really didn't let us down. If you're traveling with kids, this is definitely the place to go!

Room Tip: Higher floors have less smoke in the ventilation. Suites by the marina have more mosquitos (if you...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank OttawaFamily_3_kids
Dear guests from Ottawa, thank you for reporting like hundreds of our guests your comments on Trip Advisor sharing so, with our potential guests your impressions on our resort.
I am glad to see that one more time and like all our customers that you are highlighting the fantastic sense of hospitality of the Cuban people and specifically our employees.
We will definitely work on trying to bring more variety on our buffet, so it does look sometime a bit repetitive.
I thank you again for your nice words and I truly hope you will choose again the Meliá Marina Varadero upon your next return in the sunny island of Cuba.