“Simply an Amazing Resort”
Review of Iberostar Varadero

Iberostar Varadero
Ranked #3 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 18 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here from Feb. 8th to 15th and this resort completely lived up to its number 1 ranking. Our flight arrived late on Saturday night and after some confusion at the Varadero airport, we finally arrived at the resort after 10pm at night. We were worried we could not get anything to eat as it was so late but we need not have worried. The buffet only closes for about an hour a day from 10pm to 11pm. By the time we checked in and had our bags brought to our room the buffet was open and we had great burgers and fries. A perfect example of the service excellence this resort provides.
We stayed in a junior suite and the room was large, clean and comfortable. It was well stocked with water, beer, coffee etc. as well as a nice selection of shampoos, soaps and lotions. Our room was cleaned at least twice a day and restocked with fresh towels etc.
The service was absolutely excellent, from the time we checked in to the time we left. The front desk staff was helpful and friendly and seemed to genuinely care about our stay.
The Beach is world class and as clean as any beach I've been on anywhere. A unique feature of Varadero Beach is that all the resorts are set back from the beach, with a natural tree and sand dune buffer that gives it a very tropical feel when walking it's over 8kms of sand.
There are three pools, the main pool, an activities pool and a quiet pool. We spent our time between the main pool and the beach. There were always chairs and you didn't ever need to get up early to do the Mexican Towel Dance to reserve a good spot.
The staff was the most fantastic part of this resort. These are some of the friendliest, hardest working and most caring people I've run across at any resort I've ever stayed at. I'm a big believer in tipping for good service not to get good service. We tipped a lot at this resort because of the incredible service we received and how genuinely appreciative they were that we were staying at the resort.
For the most part the food ranged from good to excellent and there was always lots of it. It was fresh and had great flavors. No need to bring your own ketchup here, they have everything you'll need. The Al A Carts were good but not great, our favorite was the Mediterranean.
I highly recommend the Iberostar Varadero and we're already planning our return visit.

Room Tip: We stayed in Building 20 which was by itself and very quiet.
4  Thank CPTN_KIRK
JefedeAlojamiento, Manager at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
It seems you had an excellent second stay with us and enjoyed what we had to offer.
We strive to adhere to our guests every need above and beyond their expectations and I hope this is what you encountered with us.
Thank you very much again for your kind review,we do hope to welcome you back soon

There are newer reviews for Iberostar Varadero

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I can see that this hotel would be well liked by people with children or young adults as the rooms are large and well equipped, the pools are great ,the beach fab and there's plenty going on, however for us ,an older couple, it did not provide the tranquility we usually look for- but that is our fault for not choosing an adults only hotel.

There were lots of things we liked about the resort; the lovely beach where you could walk for miles if you so wished,the fact that there were plenty of sunbeds and sunshade any time of day and the friendly hard working staff -didn't meet a grumpy one.
There seemed to be a large number of groups who had come to the resort together and this sometimes made it a bit too noisy for my liking and I'm not that keen on loud music at the pool either. Obviously this suits the younger crowd.

I am not a buffet person and was not keen on the food in the buffet although there was a big selection and a number of cooking stations for freshly cooked meat. The salads were good as was the Italian offering but generally I found the meat tough and tasteless and the vegetables soggy and over cooked. You won't starve but I can't say I enjoyed the meals there. The Mediterranean and the international were of a similar quality but with a better ambience. Enjoyed the Japanese restaurant but found that we were rather rushed out of it at the end of the meal to make way for the next sitting.

The bar was buzzing in the evenings before the shows and service was quick but anyway you could go to the bar yourself to order if you couldn't wait. There were children's activities from 8 in the theatre and adult entertainment from 9. First of the adult part consisted of a lot of audience participation- not my thing! then came the shows some of which I enjoyed.
We hired a guide from Cuban Connections to take just the two of us to Havana for a day's sightseeing and thought that was worth doing -better than joining a bus tour.

We really enjoyed out time in Cuba and at this resort but feel that for us we should have chosen a more peaceful, adult orientated hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marsupites

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
We will make sure to pass on your comments about our property and we are thrilled that you had such a remarkable time with all of us. it is a true pleasure and very rewarding for all of us here to read feedback like yours which really reflects how great was your stay, besides all this i would like to apologise on behalf of everyone here at our beautiful resort if you did not enjoy our property to its fullest because of the hotel being more family oriented, we do cater couples as well although in your case you mentioned it was not your typical hotel to stay at for which we apologise,however if you return to Cuba with your family we hope to see you here again.
Thank you very much again for your kind review.
Fherran RDM

Reviewed 18 February 2014

We (three of us) visited this hotel a year ago and were wondering whether the wonderful memories of 2013 would be repeated this year - we visited Jan 30th - Feb 11th having spent 3 days at the Parque Central in Havana. We need not of worried, we had another fabulous holiday and the management are to be congratulated for keeping on top of it all.

On arrival we were greeted by friendly staff - one of whom remembered me from last year - an experience that was repeated throughout the stay. The rooms were just as we had remembered them and it felt like coming home. Although we had some aircon issues they did get fixed.

This year we decided to give the 'special' restaurants a miss as the buffet was more than adequate for our tastes and appetites. Mabel greeted us on our first trip to the main restaurant with her 'Darlinks!' and remembered us from last year. She's a gem. Over the next 10 days we did have a mix of service - sometimes breakfast being a bit slow - but we also chatted with the restaurant manager who genuinely welcomed our feedback. Of note was Gretel - a lovely friendly waitress who had the art of customer communication and relationship off to a tee. Suzette was lovely too as was Maragarita.

There was always a huge selection to choose from - and looking at some people's plates, it's a wonder they needed anything else for the rest of the day!

At lunchtimes, we ate outside at the Snack restaurant. Everyday there was music but for us the best band was Soneros de Cuba - a 7 piece band that had so much passion and fun when they played it was contagious... some of the bands looked pretty bored when they played and were just out to sell their CDs. I'll put a video up of the band on YouTube in the next couple of days so you can see them. Gelda(?) became our regular waiter and had 3 beers on our table every day without asking.

We headed for the beach every day at the end nearest the Paradisus. There were always sun beds and parasols available and happy staff serving cocktails throughout the day. Again Alberto remembered us from last year and I didn't see him once without a smile on his face. He was ably helped by Evie who was lovely. The beach has developed a 3 foot drop from last year but the hotel had put wooden steps in by the bar and, where we were, they had carved out steps in the sand.

The water was warm and we didn't really have any days where the sea was more than a little choppy.

My top tips for a happy stay....

Blocks 14, 15 and 16 are quietest.

Have plenty of 1 CUC coins available for tipping - tip those who serve you well frequently and generously. We left a tip for the maid every three or four days. The gardener who works the area near the kids pirate ship does a great job keeping things neat and tidy and we tipped him a couple of times.

We got bitten quite a few times and our regime to combat this was Jungle Spray, a spark zapper for when you did get bitten plus bite pen and anti-histamine cream. Also we took Piriton (anti-histamine tablets) at night. If we returned I would take a can of Raid and spray the room every night before leaving for dinner. Although you can't see the little buggers that bite, they are there!

Try speaking a little Spanish to the staff - although most speak English to an extent, making the effort, however stumbling, makes them feel good.

Do feed back to the management - it saves grumbling!

We had come to completely relax having done off-site trips on previous visits to Varadero. We left totally refreshed and at our very last lunch, waiting for our transfer back to Havana, Soneros de Cuba were playing again. We still have big smiles whenever we think of them - and yes - I bought both their CDs and gave them a very big tip!

Room Tip: Blocks 14, 15 and 16 are quietest.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Joff_Day

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
It is a true pleasure and very rewarding for all of us here to read feedback like yours which really reflects how great was your stay, we would like to thank you especially for your loyalty and for keep on choosing us as your holidays destination in Cuba, this is the best reward for all of us here, besides please be advised that we do spray rooms as our maids carry cans with them as well as upon request from you can be further sprayed.
Thank you very much again for your kind review,we do hope to welcome you back again for a third time soon

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We spent seven nights at the Iberostar Resort, Varadero, in February, escaping from the dreadful weather in the UK. This was undoubtedly one of the best resorts we have ever stayed at. We had an extremely comfortable, beautifully furnished junior suite equipped with king size bed, double sofa, coffee maker, minibar, etc. Bottled water was replenished every day. A very good bathroom with all facilities and excellent shower. We were in block 20 which was very quiet both day and night time. The resort itself has some amazing facilities including a piano bar with entertainment each night, inspiring swimming pools, and full entertainment each night in a separate auditorium. Only a short walk to the outstanding beach with plenty of shady loungers, beach bars with a selection of drinks, BBQ food, salads, etc., and pleasant and helpful staff. Drinks are served quickly at the bar and staff also go around the loungers and take orders for drinks. There are several restaurants in the resort. We went to the main buffet restaurant most mornings and evenings and always had no trouble finding a table. The food was very good with a wide selection of hot and cold meals. Staff served drinks at the table and were always pleasant and helpful. The sea was generally calm and fine for swimming or just floating! A range of trips is available from the resort. Our resort representative, Jesus, was very helpful and informative. We opted for the three city excursion which takes in Santa Clara including the Che Guevara mausoleum and museum, the city of Trinidad, and Cienfuegos. The trip is worth it as a lot of the real Cuban countryside and villages are seen, but it is a very long day with many hours spent on the coach. Overall, this is an excellent resort with amazing facilities and really friendly, helpful staff.

3  Thank Ian D
JefedeAlojamiento, Manager at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed Feb 1st to the 8th, 2014. We rented 2 rooms, one for my husband and myself, and one for our daughter, her husband and their two children.

Hotel was very easy to get around, lots of chairs in shaded or sunny areas around the pool, you didn't need to reserve early to get a good spot.

The service in all areas of the hotel was outstanding - very friendly, professional!!

The wireless in the lobby was excellent and allowed us to use our own devices. (I will not stay at a hotel that does not have wireless.)

The food was just ok at the buffet, I felt they needed to expand their menu, but the reserved restaurants were very good.

The rooms were a little dated, but clean and comfortable.

I would absolutely go back here and recommend it to my friends. My family and I have stayed in well over 30 all inclusive hotels in the last 15 years, and I believe I know what most people like.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Leah W
JefedeAlojamiento, Manager at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We spent Jan 31-Feb 9 at the Iberostar Varadero and it was a repeat of our 2012 visit. One word: Fantastic. This resort does not disappoint. Varadero is one of the nicest beaches to swim at in the world and I’ve been all over the Caribbean, Europe and Asia. This resort does its absolute best to provide a great experience for its visitors. The grounds are beautifully maintained, the swimming pools are spotless and there are several to choose from. If you want quiet, there’s a virtually empty spa pool. If you want water volleyball, a swim-up bar and water aerobics, the main pool is for you. If you want to swim some lengths or play water polo, there’s a sports pool. We spent the majority of our time at this latter pool because we had it to ourselves. I wandered between that beautiful ocean and the sports pool. One word of advice: bring insect repellent and I’m not kidding. This is the tropics people, so don’t complain about bug bites – use repellent. It was the one thing we neglected to pack in our luggage and we paid for it in spades. Regardless, I would take on a thousand Cuban mosquitoes in order to escape a Canadian winter.
Food and drink? The wine in the restaurant – both the red and white, are lovely Spanish wines. We drank a fair number of Rum punches, but who’s counting? Enjoy omelettes for breakfast, delicious pizza for lunch, salads of every possible variety. Fruit and fruit smoothies were in great abundance. The freshest of breads were available daily. Is it fine dining? No. But it is fine food and we enjoyed every meal. The staff go to incredible lengths to please people. I love Cuba. We were checked in immediately upon arrival by very a pleasant woman, all smiles, and then we were taken to block 15, 3rd floor, Room 1547, with a view of the ocean. The rooms are fine - very clean with huge bathrooms. They run out of items periodically – be patient – they’ve struggled against a punishing U.S. embargo for decades and have to import from great distances. They do their very best; it is a fabulous resort. While we were unpacking there was a knock at the door, welcoming us back as repeat guests. A big bottle of Havana Club for us to take home. Thank you, Iberostar Varadero. We will see you again.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, stick to the 3rd floor (top floor) so nobody is above you. Block 15, 16 and 17 ar...
5  Thank MPHW
JefedeAlojamiento, Manager at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
It is a true pleasure and very rewarding for all of us here to read feedback like yours which really reflects how great was your stay,we would also like to thank you for keep on choosing our well reputated brand for your holidays and we do hope this is not the last time but there will be a third, we are very glad you enjoyed it that much.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Let me start off by saying that I love Cuba. I love the beaches, I love the culture and most of all…I Iove the people. I have travelled to Cuba 6 times and this was my first time at the Iberostar Varadero. I've also stayed at the Riu Varadero and the Melia Las Americas and this was my fave in Varadero so far.
We arrived quite late due to Sunwing airlines. Shocking…I know right? Ha--as a sidebar my husband vowed to NEVER travel via Sunwing again. We have used them frequently and have NEVER EVER arrived to our destination or back home on time. Next time, we will spend a few extra dollars and book through Air Canada. Due to our late arrival, we weren't wow'd by any welcome drink or even overly friendly front-desk staff…but it was almost midnight so I didn't expect anything else. We basically went to our room and went right to bed after a very long day of travelling.
We had seven glorious days of sunshine. The grounds were a perfect size. Not too big and not too small. We were in section 17 and in room 1751. It was a big, clean room. The bathroom was a little dated but it was fine. We left gifts for the cleaning staff everyday along with a few pesos and received personal thank you cards and little towel animals on the bed every day. The evening turn down service was much appreciated and something that I think sets the hotel above most in Cuba. It was a nice feature. I was disappointed that they didn't replenish the shampoo and body wash daily. I bring my own but my husband uses theirs and we had to call a few times to get it replenished. We also ran out of kleenex and water. These are just little things but worth mentioning. Also--don't bother with the room service. We only used it once when we got back from Havana at a late hour and it took 1.5 hours to deliver and they still got it wrong. No big deal, but just an FYI to anyone thinking of using it.
The Beach was amazing. The service on the beach was great. There were more than enough chairs and you don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to reserve a chair anywhere. The ocean was warm, clean and heaven on earth. You could walk for miles. I thought it was great that they had a waiter circulate the beach and take drink orders. I also enjoyed the beach bbq.
The Pool was great. It was a nice temperature and the Star Friends animation team were lots of fun. They weren't too loud or pushy and those that participated in their events seemed to have a great time. They work so so hard and really seem to enjoy their job.
The drinks were good…tipping goes a long way. The lobby bar had the best drinks. The bartenders were using real fruit for my tropical drinks and I tipped them very generously for doing so.
The food…..sigh. Not the greatest. It's Cuba and we didn't have super high expectations. We certainly did not go hungry. The buffet is honestly your best choice. The a la cartes were meh. You have to get up and get your own starter and dessert anyways (they only bring you your main and you only have three options) so you may as well hit the buffet. I am a pretty picky eater but was able to find something I liked everyday. The burgers at lunch were yummy. We are winos and always ordered off of their upgraded wine list. It was nice.
I really enjoyed the nightly shows and the service during the performances were stellar! We became friendly with a few of the waitresses and at the end of the trip. I gave them a bunch of treats and toys for their children and they were actually crying with appreciation. It's nice to feel like you actually made friends with the staff on vacation.
The wifi in the lobby is 8 pesos for an hour but it worked pretty well. You're on vacation right? Sometimes it's nice to be a little bit unavailable to the rest of the world.
We did a day trip to Havana. I have been to Havana quite a few times and wanted to do it a little differently this time so we booked a private tour. I find the bus tours lame and crowded. The bus tours get targeted by pan handlers in Havana and you are always waiting for slow lag be hinders. If you REALLY want to see Havana…book a private tour. You won't be sorry. I was initially worried about our safely (silly in hindsight) but I just took a pic of the cars plate and drivers and texted it to my friends in Canada We booked through our Sunwing rep and used a guy whose code name was "Bloody Mary". Haha. We later learned that his real name was Vlodomir and his wife named Sylvia was our english speaking guide. It was an amazing day and totally worth the money. It wasn't THAT much more expensive than a bus tour. I think we paid about 200pesos but that was because we wanted a day and night tour. They picked up at at 9am and we had them till midnight. It was the best trip I've ever had to Havana. They recommended a place for lunch and my husband and I had an incredible meal at one of the privately own restaurants called Paladar Los Mercaderes. I will review it separately but it's not to be missed. Our guides left us for about 1.5hrs so we could enjoy a romantic lunch and a bottle of delicious wine.
A lot of people had nasty bug bites/welts on their legs from sand mites at the beach but they didn't bother us at all. We usually spend the mornings at the beach and the afternoons/evenings by the pool.
Tips: If you venture into Havana or into Varadero---BYOTP!! Bring your own toilet paper. In fact--I'd even bring it to the airport when you leave.
Varadero airport is quite a gong-show free-for-all experience. The signage is poor. There are no lines. It's basically everyone herding in like cattle trying to figure out what the plan is. The prices at the airport snack shops are totally arbitrary. And once it get late, and flights get delayed (cough cough STUPID SUNWING)-- the prices all of a sudden get jacked up. Water is anywhere from 2-6 pesos depending on the time and supply. Save some pesos for the airport cause the water ain't cheap. Haha.
It was a great holiday and although I like trying different places, I would recommend the Iberostar and would consider visiting it again.
Thanks and feel free to ask any questions.
C.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank paedsrn

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
We will make sure to pass on your comments about our property taking into cosideration what you bring up to us as well as we are thrilled that you had such a remarkable time with all of us. It is a true pleasure and very rewarding for all of us here to read feedback like yours which really reflects how great was your stay.