“One of the best resorts in Varadero”
Review of Iberostar Varadero

Iberostar Varadero
Ranked #2 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My husband and I finally took my dream trip of a Old Habana Varadero combination vacation. 14 days of magnificent Cuba.
After an incredible 4 nights at the Iberostar Park Central we transferred to Varadero for the remaining 10 days of our vacation.
We were booked to stay at the Iberostar Laguna Azul but after a first horrid night at the Laguna we were transferred free of charge to the Iberostar Varadero.
(for that story I highly suggest travellers read my review on the Laguna Azul to be forewarned about a serious ongoing infrastructure issue at the hotel.) At least until they get the issue resolved.

The Iberostar Varadero is beautiful, impeccably clean and very welcoming. Their staff are simply lovely, helpful, accommodating and friendly. There was not a single staff member that wasn't extremely courteous, friendly and helpful.

The Varadero easily meets all the high standards of the Iberostar Group. We have stayed at several in other countries as well. This was our first time back to Cuba in 13 years. This will be my go to resort each time we vacation in Varadero. It appears that several other guest feel the same way. We encountered many guests that travel each year to this resort. The staff know them immediately upon arrival by first name. You can see the friendships that have evolved over time.

It is the perfect size resort. Not too big and not too small. Just the right size to feel like you are getting that extra bit of attention and the opportunity to get to know their lovely staff quite well.
The resort is quite pretty and they made sure to pay attention to little details in the decor. All of the public areas are very comfortable and relaxing. Especially the lobby itself and the lobby bar.

Because we had a last minute transfer to this hotel from the Laguna Azul we had to, understandably, wait awhile for a room to be prepared for us that I actually fell asleep on one of the comfy upholstered benches in the lobby. There are several of these in the lobby to sit and chat, read, wait or just enjoy a rest.

The rooms were very comfortable and spacious. We had a standard room and there was plenty of space. We were in the 1200 block of 2 storey little buildings. It was only a 5-10 minute walk to anywhere on the resort. Yet far enough away to be quite peaceful and tranquil.

The housekeeping staff are quick and efficient. Fefe was our housekeeper for the stay. She is a real sweetheart always insisting I needed clean towels and my room cleaned even when I said oh don't bother. She would have none of that and I got clean towels each day.

Often she would leave us such sweet notes. Not just the typewritten ones issued by management. Some were personally handwritten.
When she found out that I liked the elephant towel the most she made sure I received another one the very next day after telling her.

We never had to wait for a table in the buffet. The food was very good and trust me I am a very picky eater. The wait staff were just lovely. We never wanted for anything. I always bring refillable bottles when I travel and one girl was so nice and took it to the kitchen to wash it with hot water for me. All I had asked for was if there was a hot water station for tea water. But no, she insisted on hand washing it for me. My bottles are metal and they came back piping hot in just a few minutes and spotless. I so appreciated that.

The beach is lovely and pristine. And the pools are always clean. A plus is that we never had any difficulty locating loungers any time we went to the pool or beach. Unlike most other resorts there is always at least 2 or more loungers side by side awaiting. No one has to do the reserve a lounger with a towel by 6 am. A routine that I find quite self serving and discourteous when they are left there for several hours unused.

We did encounter a disastrous and quite scary episode but not of the hotel's fault in the slightest. Due to the misadventure we encountered at the Laguna Azul my husband became ill after 5 days of arriving at the Varadero Iberostar.He had not been ill the entire time in Cuba until that point. And my husband rarely gets ill at home or away. Due to the conditions we encountered at the Laguna Azul it seems that he contracted a virus of some sort and It progressed into a serious lung infection that required medical immediate medical intervention.

I called our receptionist, Sulma, she called a doctor immediately. Within 20 minutes a nurse and attendant from the hospital arrived to our room. She assessed my husband as having a lung infection and took us immediately to the public hospital. Normally one would be taken to the Tourist Hospital but as this was an emergency and life threatening case you must go to the public hospital as it is a fully supplied hospital as you would find at home. Xray machines, monitors, oxygen masks, etc.

This is the part of my story that really shows the care and attention that goes over and above. As it is a public hospital they do not have the ability to assist in calling your medical insurance provider. And we did not know there should have been an Air Transat rep there with us.

I speak a tiny bit of Spanish which helped a little as they do not have the resources for a translator available. This is not to be intended as placing fault with the system. It is simply a reality one should be prepared for wherever one travels.

I was instructed that I had to leave the hospital in order to locate a phone to call my insurance plan. After 2 hours of walking the main street in Varadero with no luck. And also not a wise choice for a lady to do without an escort. One should make themselves aware of the cultural norms of any country you visit.

I returned to the hospital and hired a taxi back to the hotel to use the phone in my room. Sulma, the receptionist stopped me to inquire how we were. She was quite concerned about my husband. I told her what was diagnosed, severe pneumonia, and that I was instructed to phone the insurance company myself and also to bring back food and juices for my husband. The hospital doesn't have those provisons and as my husband is diabetic it was important to keep him hydrated and nourished.

Sulma immediately picked up the phone and called Room Service and ordered them to make me something to take back along with a carton of jiuce. I then proceeded to my room to make the calls. Sulma helped me make the connection quite easily.

Room Service arrived to the room quite quickly. However, they had misunderstood and brought in addition to the carton of juice a hot plate of meat and rice. I explained that I needed something more transportable to take to the hospital. He immediately brought me back 2 large securely wrapped toasted ham and cheese sandwiches so I could carry them. One for each of us.

Once the phone call to Canada was completed Ernesto hailed me a cab quickly and told him where to take me. Sulma had already checked with the hospital to ensure where I was to go and what my husband's status was.

After a day of 2 or 3 intravenous antbiotics my husband was able to return to the hotel with oral antibiotics and an xray to show our doctor at home.
The medical bill was not what I expected but was only $289.00 CUC.

For the rest of our stay at the hotel the staff, including Ernesto at Concierge and Sulma, kept checking on us to make sure we were comfortable. It seems the entire staff knew our situation and made sure we enjoyed the remaining 3 or 4 days of our vacation. He recovered thanks to the medical care he received.

We were supposed to return at the end of the week, for one night to the Laguna Azul, in order to catch the airport transport bus. BUT the hotel manager arranged for a room for us so we could stay put and leave from there. They moved us for the last night to a Junior Suite in the 1700 section of the small building. It was an upgrade and free of charge.

Next time I book I will ask for a room in that section. It was a terrific location. The last building before the beach access. It has a lovely large green space between it and the plush tree lined beach. It was only a 2 minute walk now to the beach. There is also a beach bar there as well.

It is definitely the best section of the resort almost feeling like a tropical version of an Ontario Muskoka cottage.
Marbelis was our housekeeper for the night. Another sweet dedicated lady who insisted I have clean towels twice that day. Even though we were leaving the next morning.

The manager also gave us a late checkout to 4pm as our airport transfer was not until 6pm.

A note to the Management Team of the Iberostar Varadero:
I understand that managers of hotels read our reviews. If you are reading this please forgive me. I have forgotten so many of the names of your staff and have misplaced the paper that I jotted their names on. But trust me in saying that all of your staff treated us with the utmost respect, friendliness and courtesy. And I could easily see that all guest were treated in the same manner. i never once heard a single grumble about any of your staff. In fact I only ever heard other guest tell me how great the staff were. They all have such terrific energy, personalities and excellent work ethics.

Everyone of your ladies in the buffet are absolute darlings. I only wish I could recall their names. Every shift every day each and everyone of them made us feel special and like we were family. They are respectful, friendly and very professional. When they discovered it was our last meal with them we were given hugs and good byes from each and everyone of them at breakfast, lunch and then dinner.

Room Tip: Chose a room i the 1800's section. You are so close to the beach, it is so tranquil and natural...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Donna Z
JefedeAlojamiento, Manager at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

It seems you had an excellent stay and enjoyed what we had to offer.
We strive to adhere to our guests every need above and beyond their expectations and I hope this is what you encountered with us.
We will make sure to pass on your comments about our property and we are thrilled that you had such a remarkable time with all of us.
It is a true pleasure and very rewarding for all of us here to read feedback like yours which really reflects how great was your stay, we apologise for your husband illness while on holidays although we are glad it all got sorted well.
Thank you very much again for your kind review,we do hope to welcome you back soon
FHerran ORM

Write a ReviewReviews (6,942)

Reviewed 16 March 2014

My daugther and I just returned from our March Break holiday at the Iberostar Varadero. We were thoroughly pleased with this resort and highly recommend it. The resort is big, but not monstrously large. It's lively, but peaceful, at the same time. Whether you love the pool atmosphere, or the beach, you will not be disappointed! The staff was always very friendly and extremely helpful. We would like to send extra thanks and compliments to Arjan and Julio (our beach attendants), Giovanni (lifeguard), Yovanny (beach bartender) and Yailin (entertainment leader) for going out of their way, everyday, to make our days at the beach just perfect for us!
Sandra and Ivana from Canada

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 March 2014

This was our first visit to Cuba and our first AI and Iberostar Varadero did not disappoint. Of course the beach location was superb you only need to look at photos to see how beautiful it is. Rooms are low level on only 2-floors which means no lift noise and our room was quiet and over-looking the main garden area.The reception & customer services, the servers, room maids, gardeners, bar, pool & activities staff - they all were exceptionally well-trained and a delight. Seldom have we had a beach holiday without something that lets it down but we couldn't find a single thing that was an issue. This hotel is spotlessly clean. Eating is a very important part of our holiday and the food is great considering they cater for over 800 guests with varying tastes....actually we preferred the main buffet restaurants to the Japanese & Mediterranean for evening dining as the quality was high and offered such a wide choice of food (obviously some limitations but you are in socialist Cuba after all!). We couldn't fault breakfast, and lunchtimes at the large poolside buffet restaurant was relaxed & excellent. All the bar-staff need a special mention for their friendliness and drinks & cigar knowledge. There was a full activities programme for adults & kids (kids are well looked after with their own pool & waterpark) but not forced upon you if you didn't join in. There were poolside salsa/zumba/cha-cha lessons each morning & salsa in the afternoon, aqua-gym, ping-pong, pool, volleyball, archery, 5-aside footie etc and the pool was large, clean and never crowded. Professional Shows every evening in the inside/outside theatre. You could do as much or as little as you liked, we had a FANTASTIC holiday and highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Patsyann26

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Our extended family stayed in two junior suites for a week. We had a wonderful time.
The compact size of the resort is ideal - regardless of room location, everything is close. We enjoyed the pools, pool bar, buffet, and long soft beach. In spite of being there during the busy March break week, nothing ever seemed crowded. Animation staff and programming has found the perfect balance between being too obtrusive vs. invisible - there was always something happening, but never too loud for those not wishing to participate. Staff were friendly (but unfortunately the undercurrent of gunning for a tip has dimmed the genuine Cuban experience everywhere, not just at this resort.) As others have mentioned, the resorts excellent location in a bay unfortunately makes the beach prone to unsightly erosion, but also means it has lovely shells and sandbars, we thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the easy beach access and beach bars. The kids' "Pirate pool" is next to the mini club, and fun but a little loud and scary for the under-6 set - a huge bucket dumps water intermittently over the whole structure. I went with my young kids at 5 pm, when the "splash" features were turned off, and it was absolutely perfect. Japanese was entertaining but no better than buffet, buffet was generally very good, always able to find a variety of foods for ourselves and the kids. Rooms (2 junior suites, building 17) were spotless, well-kept, and with none of the musty odour so often found in the Caribbean (and with sofa bed, our double Jr. Suite had 3 beds, one for parents, and a bed for each child, which was excellent.) Bathrooms spacious and immaculate. Fridge well stocked. Air conditioning was perfect and not too loud. I emailed two weeks prior to arrival and asked for two rooms next to each other, not on the first floor... and we ended up in rooms on the opposite sides of the building, both on the first floor, oh well.
We thoroughly enjoyed our week, and have no regrets about our choice of resort.
There are a couple of reasons for the 4/5 rate. We had a number of negative encounters with requesting service, the worst being front desk staff who were indifferent at best, rude at worst:
1) We were told that our room service order (pizza) in mid-afternoon would take 30 minutes; 50 minutes later I called and nobody seemed to know anything about our order, then 20 minutes later it arrived.
2) We called one evening because of a broken glass in our room (with tiny glass shards all over the floor) and were told someone would be "right there" to help with cleanup. An hour later, nobody had arrived (nobody ever did), we had cleaned up as much as we could without a broom but were still finding stray shards the next day.
3) Finally, we asked that the sofa bed in my mother-in-law's (King Jr. Suite) room be made into a bed one day (for a kids' sleepover) - at 10 am, 7 pm, and 8 pm, and were told each time that it would be done "right away". It never was. At one point we walked by and there were people in her room attempting to make up the bed, but when we returned 20 minutes later, it was still a sofa an nothing had been done. So we converted the bed ourselves and called for sheets, and were told that someone would come right away (by now it's almost 9 pm with exhausted kids). Forty minutes later, no sheets, so I called. At which point the front desk staff angrily told me that someone had just been there and said the bed was made up and there was nobody in the room (we hadn't left, so clearly they'd gone to the wrong room). I told her this and she was rude, told me someone would come, and hung up. The phone in the room rang again 2 minutes later and it was the same desk staff commanding that we not leave the room and someone would be coming. Twenty minutes later sheets arrived and we were able to put our exhausted kids to bed, but mom and dad's "date night" was pretty much wrecked by the saga.
4) A friend's iPad went missing from the buffet and never turned up in spite of multiple visits to security/front desk/restaurant - until she started asking for table number/etc information for "insurance purposes", at which point it was retrieved, battery drained and wifi card used up, within 5 minutes.
In summary, this is an excellent, well-designed resort, with pleasant staff, better food that most of Cuba, good pools and beach, and outstanding animation staff. Avoid requesting anything from the front desk and it could be the Best Vacation Ever.

Room Tip: If getting a Junior Suite, Building 17 close to Kids' club/kids pool but far from spa/tennis cou...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank NBChrista

It seems you had an excellent stay and enjoyed what we had to offer.
It is a true pleasure and very rewarding for all of us here to read feedback like yours which really reflects how great was your stay, however we would like to apologise for the troubles caused during your stay within your room as we should have been faster in proving you with housekeeping service, we also would like to apologise for our front desk behaviour as this should not have happened in the first place according to your review, we always carefully selected front staff to ensure customers satisfaction thus we will look into this matter, we are glad you ipad finally turned up.
Thank you very much again for your review,we do hope to welcome you back soon

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We visited the Iberostar for one week starting February 25th. We had previously stayed at an Iberostar in the Mayan Riviera and found that accommodation good. This was our second trip to Varadero, the first one being 10 years ago. We chose this location due to the high ratings from tripadvisor, which we always use for guidance when travelling. The trip was a little pricey for Cuba, so are expectations were high. We were not disappointed. We had a garden view from the third floor in building 12, which was great. The grounds are well maintained. The room was spacious, clean and well stocked with water and beer. A daily tip helps in this regard. We can not say enough about the service provided by all the staff. The food was okay. Breads and cheese were great and turkey was good. The Japanese restaurant was the only one worth going to. The beaches were lovely and the pool area was nice with lots of chairs available. Taking the bus into Varadero was worthwhile, for some culture and souvenirs. The shows were limited as expected but the entertainers worked hard. Overall the trip was great and we would return.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

It seems you had an excellent stay and enjoyed what we had to offer.
Thank you very much again for your kind review and for your second visit to Varadero,we do hope to welcome you back soon

Reviewed 15 March 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a perfect holiday at the iberostar Varadero. Incredible staff, great food, gorgeous beaches.
Any interaction with staff was a pleasure. They are involved with their job and care about the visitors.
I highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Building 19 is quiet, # s 20 and 17 seem to be facing the ocean( higher floors)
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank gilles8791
JefedeAlojamiento, Manager at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Reviewed 15 March 2014

The Iberostar is a much nicer resort than I expected. The staff were very hard working and the resort was always clean! The food was great, especially the Mediterranean a la carte! Have the surf and turf. The surf was amazing, the turf was a little ...disappointing, however I came for the lobster, not the steak! The pool was nice but definitely under used. There was no real pool entertainment! Drinks were good, nightly entertainment was so-so. The staff we encountered seemed to speak very good English, which was helpful. They made fresh donuts every morning and the bleu cheese is amazing!

Room Tip: No such thing as an ocean view room. No building is better than another as they are all secluded on...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family