“Nice stay”
Review of Iberostar Varadero

Iberostar Varadero
Ranked #3 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 8 April 2014

In general Iberostar Varadero is a really nice resort. If I go to Varadero once more, I’ll stay there. Nice location, a wonderful beach, well-kept buildings and really good personnel (I see some complaints on that side in other reviews and I do not agree at all).

Some things could be improved though.

Food : there was always something nice or at least quite ok to eat at the buffet, still any meat could be good or very very dry indeed, you never knew until you tasted. The fish on the other hand was always excellent. There was chicken stew and vegetables that were generally nice. We also ate at the three a la carte restaurants. The international restaurant was nothing to write home about, dry meat. The Japanese restaurant was fun, a great show. The food tasted well, but it was quite far from being Japanese to be honest. At the Mediterranean restaurant we the food tasted very well and also was quite close to its Mediterranean origin (best choice). I would recommend bringing in a new chef that is specialized in meat.

Noise: The noise level in the lobby and in the bar is quite high. All day the fountain disturbs the silence and when the evening approaches the scene nearby destroys the possibilities to have a conversation.

Wifi: Cuba is a country with more or less no internet at all so I had very low expectations when buying an hour of wifi. Still I expected to be able to transfer data, and I nearly could not do that. For the first half hour I could not do anything useful at all. I complained and got the answer that it is not better than that. So my advice is not to go to Cuba if you really need internet access, and if you buy an hour of wifi, don’t do it in the evening and do not expect it to work.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Sea-mew
JefedeAlojamiento, Manager at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

It seems you had an excellent stay and enjoyed what we had to offer.
We strive to adhere to our guests every need above and beyond their expectations and I hope this is what you encountered with us.
We will make sure to pass on your comments about our property and we are thrilled that you had such a remarkable time with all of us.
it is a true pleasure and very rewarding for all of us here to read feedback like yours which really reflects how great was your stay, we apologise for your connection issues through our wifi although we offer the best available service as we can.
Thank you very much again for your kind review,we do hope to welcome you back soon

There are newer reviews for Iberostar Varadero

Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel is very nice. Expect to spend more time at the swimming pool. They have nice shows. The beach is not sandy, very short, with chairs and umbrellas. Do not expect to lay down on the sand there is no space. The hotel employees are very friendly. There are not many employees. Expect to see the Morning Gardner working as a cook at one of the restaurants. Plan to bring a lot of toiletries to give them, since their government just give them a month supply per family, and when it is over, they can not get more. (Dental paste, perfumes , soap, deodorants etc) they will appreciate it.

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank 554Pat

Reviewed 4 April 2014

We decided to go to Cuba as wanted to see Havana,now not being a big fan of large hotels this was always not going to be our idyllic paradise.

Positives:
Amazing beach and lovely large pool
We never had any issues with items you couldn't have on all inclusive
large rooms were immaculately clean and very well kept for the age of the hotel
Rooms were well equipped e.g robe, slippers, hair dryer, irons and always lots of water in room and stocked mini bar included in all inclusive (as is room service)
Friendly helpful staff
Good breakfasts- smoothies, egg station and great fresh breads.
Well kept gardens and overall well kept resort - we wandered down to the paradises and this looked exceptionally tired in comparison.
Cava available on the all inclusive.

Negatives:
Ridiculously loud brash entertainment area, there is only one main bar area on the evening (unless you want to sit in the cigar bar) so a quiet chilled drink is out of the question.
The hotel was on,y 60% full and at times we struggled to get a lounger by the pool or on the beach so I can imagine when full it will seem very cramped.
The a la carte restaurants are just ok, but I suspect some of this is Cuba.. The Japanese is by far the best, then the grill and finally the Mediterranean. The beach bar at lunch does great burgers, but basically every day it only serves hot dogs and burgers so unless you want to get dressed and have a proper lunch in the restaurants choice was limited.

Overall food was good for Cuba and we did not get ill from it which seems a common problem elsewhere. Great beach even if it's at its narrowest outside the iberostar. The cigar bar is a great place to chill as long as you can cope with cigar smoke. There were lots of activities all day if you wanted to participate from dance lessons to crazy games around the pool but all seemed well done and you were never under pressure to participate.

Was a comfortable if not overly luxurious choice for a short stay ... I think you would get very bored if you stayed more than a week!

Room Tip: We were in block 16 which was private and far away from the entertainment area which was very very l...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Elizabeth26
JefedeAlojamiento, Manager at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

It seems you had an excellent stay and enjoyed what we had to offer.
it is a true pleasure and very rewarding for all of us here to read feedback like yours which really reflects how great was your stay, we take your negative comments as an area of improvement and we apologise if you found our music too loud by the pool, must be added here that we are continously higher than a 60% occupation and being high season right now we never dropped to 87% nor lower,

Reviewed 1 April 2014

First of all I just want to thank 3 particular members of staff who are a real credit to this hotel, yadira in the theatre, Deysi in the lobby bar and Regla in the buffet. The work they put in is amazing and they truly do treat you like a friend.

Me and my parter have just got back from an 11 night stay, and we personally found that the hotel is falling short on the simple things.

During meal times, especially lunch by the pool, the restaurant seems to be always out of plates / cutlery, the food is not frequently replenished and the ice cream is melted (surely you can get freezers in Cuba).

We are by no means late risers, but several mornings in the buffet restaurant there was no fresh bread left, just the crumbs left where people had been slicing the bread, covering all of the 'clean' plates.

The biggest issue is probably the lack of wifi, which there was none of for half the duration of our stay. We would be understanding if it was due to a fault, but in this case it was negligence and not ordering enough access cards. When the cards finally came in they didn't work, we were told by staff they will be working in an hour, 2 days later still no wifi access.
We wouldn't have minded if we just wanted to check Facebook, but we run a company so we rely on being able to contact the office. We did report this to the manager, and were given a bottle of champagne in our room. Considering this champagne was part of the all inclusive drinks offering and room service was included as standard I'm not sure if this was meant to appease us or meant as a joke. We probably would have preferred more bread at breakfast.

Worth a note also that we also purchased the last wifi card in the hotel a couple of days before we left, leaving no access for anyone else, it would seem the hotel doesn't learn from its mistakes.

In a nut shell, the grounds are well maintained and do look lovely, the hotel also looks very nice and the rooms spacious but I just don't feel that it offers value for money. We stayed in the Riu Tequila in Mexico last year which we rated much higher and it was only a 4*. Coming to Cuba cost us double the amount so we were expecting to see a difference in both service and quality.

I wouldn't say I had a terrible holiday, it was by all means enjoyable, unfortunately we both left wishing we'd gone back to Mexico, and I'm certain we would have both had a more enjoyable time.

• Stayed: March 2014
13  Thank kerry_london4
JefedeAlojamiento, Manager at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
We would all like to apologise for any inconvenience we could have caused you during your vacation time with us at our beautiful property IBEROSTAR Varadero.
As you may know we aim at fulfilling all of our customers needs as well as exceed guests expectations, we are aware of the fact that we offer wifi service at the resort although its availability and functionality at this stage is not up to worldwide standards given the circumstances, nethertheless management is always available to solve the situation accordingly in order for the guets to be well satisfied with management response, we apologise again as we noticed how important this service is these days for our clientele.
I would like to highlight here that this service normally works the best it can at our resort although at the time you had visited us we had further issues with it for which the hotel is not liable for and please believe us when i explained you at the lobby during the meeting we hold, that hotel management is always working and fosucing its time into sorting out any issue where guests might be involved in within their holiday time with us, as this is our target, unfortunately we had this service affected for several days through your stay with us for which we compensated you with some room amenities which by the way are not part of the all inclusive package.
As for the rest of the issues raised by you, we take good note of them and we wil make sure we have it all repaired and running appropraitely, we trully thank you for your statements which will definetely help us to improve.
From the IBEROSTAR Varadero team we would like to see you back again here with us to show you that we really are worth the money spent on us when visiting Cuba,

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We selected the Iberostar because of its reputation and placing at #1 in the listings. We found nothing that suggested either is undeserved. Our room was in Block 14, any of the blocks around here (14-18) are far enough away from the main stages to be peaceful. The room was big, huge comfortable bed, balcony, stocked fridge with mini-bar all included, room safe. The gardens are a delight, water features abound, there are pools for adults, children, families, sports, the beach is the other side of the hedge with its own bars, all is as it should be. The health spa caters for a variety of treatments, but be aware that these can get booked up well in advance. The gym is small but has enough equipment and free weights for the average punter, as long as no more than four people arrive together. I used it most mornings and was always able to make it work. I had looked forward to the water sport facilities. Unfortunately if the wind is above a slight breeze the boats all remain chained up. The catamarans are helmed only by staff, so do not expect to be sailing off into the sunset with the missus. You will only be a passenger for a short sail, again assuming the breeze is slight. That is about my only grumble. The food and drink at the Iberostar is plentiful and of good quality, the specialist restaurants offer even better cuisine apart from the Japanese, which is more about the theatre than the food. I wouldn’t bother. The other two are excellent. The evening entertainment is extraordinarily varied and highly professional. I speak as someone with a curmudgeonly reputation when it comes to this sort of show, but I was absolutely hooked, some of the performers could strut their stuff on any stage in the world. Even some of the pre-show events are not to be missed. During your stay you can be as beach-bound or busy as you like. To hire a motor scooter you will need to walk to the neighbouring hotel, but I thoroughly enjoyed my brief trip to Varadero town, Santa Marta and beyond. All round quality time.

Room Tip: Blocks 14-18 are away from the main stage so quieter
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Dellaph_Kite

It seems you had an excellent stay and enjoyed what we had to offer.
It is a true pleasure and very rewarding for all of us here to read feedback like yours which really reflects how great was your stay.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

My wife and I paid a little more to stay at this place but it certainly was worth the extra cost considering all the horror stories from friends staying at other places. It is a large resort and the rooms are very large with a nice balcony. Food was nothing special but the cheese selections, fresh bread and smoothies were especially good. Lots of events like dance lessons, water polo, archery, bingo, etc., going on all day which was fun for all ages. The evening shows were very entertaining despite my initial disinterest. Staff was extremely friendly. Definitely expectation to tip all the time everywhere you go, or every time you get a drink which was kind of annoying at times, especially when down at the pool or beach. Beach is great, pool is very nice with a swim-up bar. We went in January so pool was very cold, but the ocean was bearable for 20-30 mins.
A lot of families with young kids so wasn't a party resort the time we were there if that's what you're looking for. Cigar lounge was very nice.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Darth1Vader
JefedeAlojamiento, Manager at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

It seems you had an excellent stay and enjoyed what we had to offer.
It is a true pleasure and very rewarding for all of us here to read feedback like yours which really reflects how great was your stay, we apologise if you felt awkward when tipping although staff is clear on this, we will look into this matter.
Best regard

Reviewed 29 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 3 days at the end of our trip to Havana. The spacious room was excellent; well-equipped with an in-room safe, iron and board, coffee + tea making facilities and minibar. We had a large balcony but no view. The bathroom had both a shower and a bath. There were lots of hangers for clothes! The wash basin didn't hold water very well, which meant I had to keep topping it up to have a wet shave.

The breakfast buffet had lots of choices especially if you enjoyed continental style cold meats and cheeses. The lunch buffet beside the pool was also very good - again there was plenty of choice. There was also a grill available at the beach - we didn't try this during our stay.

We ate in 2 of the speciality restaurants during our stay:
El Dorado was a restaurant which specialised in fish dishes. There was a good range of buffet starters which were excellent. The soup was a delicious lobster cream soup. There was a small range of main courses. I had a great meal of snapper with potatoes and roast veg. My wife had surf and turf which had a half lobster with a small piece of good steak. There are few cows raised in Cube which makes steak quite a rare menu item. The desserts were OK.
Manzoku was a hibachi style restaurant where food is cooked on a large hot plate in front of the diners. We've eaten in these before and usually the food is good and enhanced by the chef's performance of his cooking skills. We were sadly disappointed - perhaps our chel was a trainee, but all he did was rattle a few utensils on the hot plate. The food was very poor because the fried rice, the prawns, the chicken and the beef were all drowned in soy sauce as they were cooked. This meant that everything was a dull brown colour (including the originally white rice) and tasted the same (very salty!!) Don't bother with this restaurant - the evening buffet is much better.

All the staff with whom we had any contact were excellent and went out of their way to be helpful. Overall a good hotel in a great location with a couple of let downs.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the central area rather than looking outwards.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sandylindsay

It seems you had an excellent stay and enjoyed what we had to offer.
It is a true pleasure and very rewarding for all of us here to read feedback like yours which really reflects how great was your stay, we apologise for your sink issue, we will look into this matter you have raised.