“Cuba - Iberostar Varadero - Highly Recommended”
Review of Iberostar Varadero

Iberostar Varadero
Ranked #1 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Toronto
“Cuba - Iberostar Varadero - Highly Recommended”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My wife, 7 and 10 year stayed at the Iberostar Varadero on Jul 6, 2013 for 7 nights. We had a great time. The ride between the airport and hotel is approximately 30 to 40 minutes depending on how many drop offs to other hotels are done. We were last to be dropped off which was fine by us because we like to check out other lobbies from neighboring hotels. I have to say, our lobby and circular driveway had the biggest wow factor. We were immediately greeted by the bellboy and proceeded to check-in. The check-in was very smooth and the greeting was warm and pleasant. I was told that by others who had visited Cuba (not at this hotel) that they were required to leave their passports with the front desk and that it would be returned the following day. This is not the case here. Our passports were immediately returned to us as we checked in. The lobby was nice with its high vaulted ceilings and marble floors (no air conditioning here but a nice breeze). When booking your room, keep in mind that restaurants, pool, and entertainment are closely located to the lobby (front of the resort), We were escorted to building number 15 (furthest from the lobby and is at the back of the resort), a 2nd floor room on the exterior side. We requested a quiet location and this was perfect. Obviously, you will give up convenience for quiet.

My wife and I understand that in the Caribbean and developing countries, star ratings cannot be compared to North American ratings. A 5 star is really a 4, 4 star a 3 and so on. So be careful what you book and keep your expectations realistic.

Grounds - ****
While we walked to our room, we admired the nice, clean and well kept grounds that is maintained daily. This is not the most beautiful resort we have visited in the Caribbean but it was very nice and from what I heard probably one of the best in Varadero.

Buildings - ****
Rooms are located in 3 story high buildings that circle the property behind the theater. They are painted in your typical Caribbean pastel colors. The furthest buildings are number 15 and 16. Building 18 and 19 are actually closer to the lobby and main pool and are located right behind the outdoor theater. The buildings are not linked by a covered walkway so you will be exposed to rain and sun. You will find umbrellas in your room closet provided by the hotel.

Rooms - ****1/2
The style of the room is typical of the Caribbean. The room provided was very large and had marble throughout with 2 double beds (not queens), a flat screen TV, balcony and a stocked mini bar (maximum of 2 bottles of beer delivered to your room per day), This was one of the best rooms we have stayed in the Caribbean in terms of comfort. The room was clean and the ventilation worked quietly and efficiently (no noise, humidity or damp sheets).

The beds were comfortable with clean, white sheets and decent sized pillows. The best sleep we have enjoyed down south.

If you have problems climbing stairs, be aware that there are no elevators in the buildings so you might want to consider a lower floor. We decided on a 2nd room floor because we had heard that the lower floors were susceptible to musty odours and insects.

There are a good number of TV channels (approx 30) but most are in Spanish with English subtitles.

The only problem we had was the design of the shower stall, which constantly left a significant puddle of water just outside the shower door that we had to clean up. Other visitors had the same problem. We got around this issue by rolling up a towel and laying it across the inside bottom of the shower door.For some reason the quality of work by tradespeople in the Caribbean are very poor. Tile and grout work, painting and repairs always looks as if it was done by a DIY.

Wifi and Internet - 1/2
We had pre-purchased a Caribbean cell phone package thinking that we would receive cellular reception in Cuba - wrong!. The good news is we couldn’t connect to work. Wifi will cost you ~ 2 peso per minute and is very slow and unreliable. You can purchase 30 minutes of surfing time in their little computer room that houses ancient PC’s for 5 peso per 30 minutes - again, veeeeeerrry slow and pointless.

The Food - ****
We had heard horror stories about Cuban food. This was NOT the case at the Iberostar Varadero. Overall, we really enjoyed the food. A few families that we met on this resort also had similar views. The focus here at Iberostar Varadero was not on providing a massive variety but on quality. I have gone to other resorts where the variety was so huge, the food sat out way too long and were served again for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We met another family from a lower line Iberostar and they mentioned that their food was not very good. Food quality obviously differs at each establishment. My kids are picky eaters and they had no problem finding something they enjoyed.

My wife and I love seafood and there was plenty of it at this resort - whole grilled salmon, snapper, grouper, shrimps, calamari prepared at the food stations a batch at time to avoid having it sit out too long. There was grilled chicken breast, pork chop, french fries, a customized pasta station and thin crust pizza. There was fresh tropical fruits like, mango, pineapple, papaya, watermelon and guava. I loved the desserts that were cut into bite sized pieces that were tasty and not too sweet. For breakfast they served real eggs and not of the powdered variety - poached, hard boiled, fried, customized, etc, - pancakes, deep fried crispy pancake rings, etc.

If you are looking for a 12oz sirloin steak and North American standard food, unfortunately you just landed in the wrong country.

There are 2 sit down restaurants (Mediterranean, Japanese), 1 buffet restaurant, 1 pool area snack buffet (International dining sit down service in the evening) and a seaside grill that served charcoal grilled hotdogs and hamburgers (very good). Keep in mind that you are only allowed to make a maximum of 1 reservation at each sit down restaurant for your entire stay. Of the 3 sit down meals, we enjoyed the Mediterranean the most. If you skip the other 2 sit down meals, no big loss. We enjoyed the Japanese dining the least and you can basically find the same food for Internationally dining at the buffet station. Adult males are required to wear long trousers and is enforced at the sit down dining - I know, because I had to wear one of their supplied trousers when I forgot the rules one evening.

The Service - ****1/2
The service was very good from check-in to check-out. Cubans are very warm and personable and the servers at the Iberostar is no exception. The only minor service glitch was the cigar store keepers who seemed too engaged in conversation to serve and appeared uninterested to sell. Most servers were able to communicate in both English and Spanish.

The Entertainment - ****
There is a nightly show at the theater from 10 pm - 11 pm to allow guests to finish their dinner and attend. I would have rated the overall entertainment 5 star but I found, the poolside and beach activity not as numerous or grand as my stay at the Majestic Colonial in Punta Cana. Not much music or entertainers during the day. The evening entertainment at the outdoor theater however was the best I have experienced at a Caribbean all-inclusive. The “Star Friends” entertainers work really hard and it shows in their well performed choreographed singing and dancing. The lineup of shows included competing couples on stage, celebrity night (Michael Jackson look alike), boogie night, rock night, cuban night, Lion King, etc. There are drink servers wondering the floor, which I thought was very convenient.

There is also a disco located beside the lobby bar that opens from 11:00PM till 2:00AM.

The Beach and Pool - ****1/2
The beach and pool was the best part of this vacation. You never had to fight for a lounge chair anytime or anywhere at this time of year. Reserving chairs was strictly prohibited and is enforced.

My kids had a blast when the ocean water was slightly rough because it was like a giant wave pool. When the water was totally calm, you could see right down to the bottom - absolutely pristine and the best I have experienced so far in the Caribbean. There was no seaweed on the beach or in the water. We did notice however, broken seashells get washed up on shore so consider bringing water sandals or slippers because it can get a little prickly on the feet.

The pool with swim-up bar at the Iberostar Varadero will never be able to compete with the spectacular pool at the Majestic Colonial, Punta Cana. However, the design is still very nice and ample room during the summer season. I could see where overcrowdedness and shortage of poolside lounge chairs could be a problem during peak season in the winter months.

The kids waterpark area is ok but certainly nothing to rave about. It is located between buildings 15 and 16. My 7 year old thought it was too small and played in it for 20 minutes. That was it for the entire trip. This area will probably be enjoyed by younger children and adults would probably dislike it the most since there are no umbrellas to shade you from the sun while you keep an eye on the kids. I would not make this a criteria in deciding your room selection.

Excursions:
We booked two day trips; a catamaran trip to a little island called Cayo Blanco and a day trip to Havana. We loved both and thought they were great value. Both were booked through our WestJet hotel representative.

The guided Havana bus tour started at 8:00 AM and returned at 6:00 PM. It included a lunch and 1 free drink.

The Catamaran trip included 45 min snorkeling, swimming and lunch on the island, free use of paddle boats and kayaks and an open bar on the boat and on the island. Kids 6 and under are free. For an additional fee we let the kids take a picture with dolphins. You can purchase the video and picture CD’s taken by the tour guides for 20 peso. The guides were extremely friendly.

I highly recommend both trips.

The Iberostar is a very nice and clean resort. In my opinion, it is good value for the money and I would definitely recommend it.

Tips
- Buy your cigars from the cigar store during the Havana tour. They are more fresh than the hotel and airport.
- You give up convenience to the pool, restaurant, and theater for quiet time by staying further from the lobby
- Convert only cash that you will use because you cannot convert back. During our stay 1 dollar Cdn = 0.88 tourist peso.
- Bring some repellent and AfterBite. Although you won’t get swarmed we were bitten during the evening shows.

Room Tip: - The furthest buildings are number 15 and 16. - Building 18 and 19 are actually closer to the lo...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank cloudsurfer2
JefedeAlojamiento, Manager at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
It seems you had an excellent stay and enjoyed what we had to offer.
We strive to adhere to our guests every need above and beyond their expectations and I hope this is what you encountered with us.
We will make sure to pass on your comments about our property and we are thrilled that you had such a remarkable time with all of us.
It is a true pleasure and very rewarding for all of us here to read feedback like yours which really reflects how great was your stay, just to clarify we continually work and paint areas and entire hotel because this type of climate and weather is very severe, we spend many months during the year with high winds and loads of rain as well as high intensity of warmth and humidity and heat which makes all materials exposed to these conditions very unlasting, we understand this and invest effort and income into avoiding this as much as we can.
Thank you very much again for your kind review,we do hope to welcome you back soon
FHerran ORM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (980)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I will try and keep this short, The resort is beautiful, the food is probably the best for a Cuban Resort, the staff are great and exceptional people, the grounds are immaculate and picturesque, the beach is amazing. That is the good.

Now for my negative experience. I had the unfortunate circumstance of pulling a dying man out of the ocean while his widow laid on the beach watching in horror and grief. My wife stayed with her to comfort her. The lifeguards came seconds after I had pulled him and began CPR/First-aid. They quickly took over and did an amazing job and they genuinely tried very hard to help this gentleman. Unfortunately he did not make it. Wherever his widow is, I feel for her and her family and my deepest condolences go out to them.

My issue with what had occurred. Although CPR/First-aid is important, you cannot bring a heart back to rythm, especially on a beach where an ambulance is quite a distance away. It took about 30 minutes for an ambulance to attend and the lifeguards must have been working on this fellow for at least 15 minutes. I strongly feel these resorts, especially a 5 star should have ASD defibulators around the resort and accessible. It possibly could have saved this fellow. I have written an email to the company expressing this. My message is that until they provide these devices on the resort, if you have a heart condition, please travel with caution.

Secondly, this was quite traumatic thing to deal with as a guest. Although the life guards were thankful to me and in turn, I thanked them for the hard work and quick response, It would have been nice if a management representative would have came to talk to my wife and I for some re-assurance and a thank you.

Despite this, I do still recommend this resort I did enjoy my time their with the exception of that event and it was a very relaxing stay.

Room Tip: The hotel rooms are divided into 10 buildings, some buildings are closer to the main building than t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Tzohnny
St Neots, England
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This hotel was amazing. The staff were fantastic and the pool was lovely. I especially enjoyed the Japanese restaurant and made use of the all inclusive room service... Because I was on holiday after all! Would go back in a heartbeat

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tracey_Innes
JefedeAlojamiento, Manager at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We have just returned from a fantastic week at the Iberostar Varadero. A week I hear you say but yes, just a week, but what a week. It is a long flight however the price comparison in a school holiday week is very competitive to the canaries as these seem to escalate in price during this time and the weather is not disappointing.

It is a short journey from the airport and there is stunning scenery on the way. The entrance to the hotel is lovely however although greeted with a cocktail on arrival there was a lengthy queue to check in. We would just like to thank Iris who was helful and friendly and who changed our rooms on the spot and without asking as we had specified rooms next to each other on the time of booking and the week before departure via our travel advisor as we were a party of 3 adults and 1 child so we needed 2 rooms.The cases were taken to the room by a buggy and we were soon unpacked and chilling.

I agree with Sadie19, the rooms are a little dated however are spotless and the maid service was fantastic on a daily basis greeting us with all sorts of animals made from towels and any props she could find in the room.

The everyday buffett was fantastic. This served breakfast, lunch and evening meal however when this shut at 10am after breakfast, the international restaurant on a morning opened until 12pm for those late risers. This also turned into a lunch time restaurant where you could sit outside if you preferred. The food was unbelievable. At each sitting there were chef's on stations cooking food fresh, every salad and piece of fruit (however no grapes for all you lovers) you could think of. The staff were wonderful, attentive and very friendly. They did all this without a tip however if you wanted to a couple of pesos is gratefully accepted. We would particularily like to thank Neysa and Joan who were so friendly, attentive and we did not have to ask for more coffee or wine, they just knew.

We did find the buffet restaurant better than the speciality restaurants as the variety and the welcoming atmosphere way outshines these but that is just my opinion. The reasons for this are:-
1. A wine menu is put in front of you especially in the mediterranean restaurant and the staff do not advise you that you can still have your all inclusive drinks. When we asked for the house wine I felt very uncomfortable and that the waitress almost sulked when we did not order from the wine menu. I did feel slightly better when other tables began to do the same.

2. Although we went specifically for the lobster and steak, the starters and the puddings seemed very limited.

3. In the Japanese restaurant we had to ask for a second glass of wine that was reluctantly half filled. The waitress also only filled me and my mums glass and missed my husband and the other 2 adults on the table which I thought was appalling. The Japanese restaurant however is worth a visit but be prepared for appetisers to be placed in front of you without a drink or explanation before the menu is explained.

The entertainment through the day is fantastic. It is not your traditional volley ball, football stuff where you close your eyes and pretend to be asleep when they come around. It is a variety games and acts that the animation team work tirelessly to keep you entertained. Oz was particularily informative and was very friendly enticing us up on a few occassions to join in. This does not usually happen.

There is a kids club and mini disco at 8pm and then a live band afterwards until the main show starts. This was a little too late for our 5 year old however she was quite happy with the disco and live band; when she stayed awake long enough!

You can use the pool from 7am however the towel service doesn't open until 9am so this maybe needs looking at. The pool bar opens at 10am and you can get any cocktail you can think of and they will happily make this for you. There is also service to the sunbeds around the pool so you don't even have to move. If you do want a drink earlier (those were the days before children) the cafe bar opens at 9am but the main buffet offers tea and coffee from an early time. The gardens are beautiful and all the gardners are polite and if you are lucky enough, you get an origami animal made out of leaves. The beach is a very short walk and the sand and sea are breathless.

We would definately go back to this hotel and would highly recommend however we would just like to thank whoever it was on our last day the person who stole our blue hotel towels to which I then had to go sign a declaration to state what had happened to avoid a 20 peso fine. Very thoughtless and tarnished a wonderful time in a wonderful, most friendly hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in block 12 which was easy access to the pool and amenities but very quiet on a night.
10 Thank Shelley S
It seems you had an excellent stay and enjoyed what we had to offer.
It is a true pleasure and very rewarding for all of us here to read feedback like yours which really reflects how great was your stay, we apologise for your towels issue although is diffciult to control everyone
UNITED KINGDOM
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We have just returned from a weeks stay at the Iberostar Vardero and it absolutely deserves top spot as far as hotels in Varadero go. We stayed at the Paradisus a couple of years ago and this surpasses it by miles.

Rooms: we stayed in block 12 which was perfect as it was close enough to the main part of the hotel but still far enough so it was quiet in the evenings. The room was clean , spacious and well kept. We had a huge bathroom and with both a big bath and shower it had everything we needed. Huge comfortable bed and a balcony overlooking the gardens made it perfect.

Bars: We spent a majority of our time in both the cigar bar and the main bar - we loved the cigar bar however my only criticism would be the cocktails from the main bar were not anywhere as good as other places. The cigar bar however did amazing mojitos !

Beach: yes , not the most amazing beach because a lot of it has been washed away but DONT let that put you off, it's still a lovely beach with things such as kayaking, sailing and pedalos. Beach bar grill was nice and it was amazing to just lie in the sun doing nothing for a week !

Food: Buffet was absolutely fine , much better than other hotels in Varadero. Clean, fresh etc and lots of choice . Wasn't overly impressed with a la carte restaurants, they were ok but we personally preferred the buffets. The Japanese restaurant was good fun !

The swimming pool was great although sun beds were reserved super early so make sure you get in early if you want a good place. We were gutted to find the quiet pool by the Spa on the last day, we would have spent the whole time there if we had found it sooner !

All in all an amazing time with lots of entertainment for people. Although the entertainment may not be to everyone's taste the staff put a huge amount amount of effort in,to the shows and they were good to watch. All staff we met were super friendly and helpful and please don't forget the gardeners ...... They put all that hard work into keeping the grounds looking amazing and I'm not sure just how much recognition they get. As I said all of the staff including the receptionists were friendly, helpful and go out of their way to help you. If we return to Varadero we will most definitely be staying here again !

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank AS99
It seems you had an excellent stay and enjoyed what we had to offer.
It is a true pleasure and very rewarding for all of us here to read feedback like yours which really reflects how great was your stay, to mention that all of our staff including our grounds staff and gardeners do get their credit for the great job they develop every day.
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stayed at iberostar varadero cuba between the 15th till 29th of May 2014 in room 1725 junior suit,
And was a fantastic experience, the facilities were amazing our room was excellent, it had a ocean view and just outside of our balcony there were several hammocks, to catch the sun and relax,
The gardens around all the rooms are  impeccably kept by the gardeners who are up at the crack of dawn.
Our maid, Leydis during our time there did such a great job, every day room was made up beautifully and everyday she made different our towels, top sheet and curtains into amazing art, truly unbelievable
There was always a night maid which we never saw but did the same great job.
Now the all the food and restaurants was second to none, the choice was vast and of the highest quality, and looked wonderful, every morning one of there many chiefs, Hosea  made me a special omelette, that tasted unbelievable, the waiters and waitresses like Yamika and all the staff did such a amazing job clearing table, bringing drinks, our every request were taken care of with speed and efficiency, I couldn't fault them,
All of the entertainment was amazing, everyday there was something new weather on the beach, poolside or in the theatre the iberostar star friends brought a creative mix of entertainment, the star friends like Zelma, Betsy, Yailin, Nuri, Yuri, Manny, Ariel and Alexis and many more made our time on holiday unforgettable, every evening my daughter was on stage for every mini disco then watched the nights show till she fell asleep, one night we when to the Japanese restaurant, and as soon as we came out she realised she had missed the mini disco and broke into tears, we had to think quick and tell her the was no mini disco, a lie but it had to be done lol, but we never missed another one.
The new kids club was a great place, a great pool and pirate's ship, that wasn't there the last time I came, the club had Xboxes PlayStation wiis and air conditioning, I found many parents playing on the consoles while their kids were being entertained.
Our 14 nights stay was wonderful, I just got back home and I'm about to book again for next year, it was the best holiday I ever had, without doubt.

Room Tip: Junior suit upper floors very a great ocean view
2 Thank gary g
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

we returned again to this hotel as our first trip here was so good. Once again we were not disappointed. we are a family of 3 plus my mum and dad. Everything here is on one level so no problems with getting around and everything is spotlessly clean. We stayed in a junior suite, although to be honest i would say it was a needless indulgence as the standard rooms are so big, The food is as good if not better than most all inclusive resorts, with a good choice and variation. We didn't need to try the specialty restaurants so we cannot comment, however that probably says something about the main restaurants! The entertainment staff are fantastic!! please try and interact with them as it will make your stay so much more enjoyable and they really are the friendliest people on Earth. Roccio, Yailene, Oz, Shakka, Alberto, Ariel - in fact too many to list - thank you all.
It is just a short stroll through the gardens to a soft white sand and the safest beach anywhere, it gently slopes so that even 50 m out it is only waist deep, which is perfect for youngsters or those not too confident. The beach bars have waiter service (as does every bar!) if you can't be bothered to get out of your sunbed and go yourself. The gardens are a credit to the gardeners (who are happy to get you a coconut down, and add a drop of rum for a long Cuban drink). This really is the perfect relaxing holiday, but if you want the "stand off and leave you alone" big city Hotel treatment, then you probably won't enjoy it here - because its just too friendly.
Russell Dolman and Family

Room Tip: there are only 2 floors to each block of rooms, but if you have difficulty with steps request a grou...
8 Thank russ123452000
JefedeAlojamiento, Manager at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
It seems you had an excellent stay and enjoyed what we had to offer.
It is a true pleasure and very rewarding for all of us here to read feedback like yours which really reflects how great was your stay, we will be forwaring your comments to Belkis especially and we are proud and glad that you had sucha a wonderful time here with us.