“Worth it for the Price” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blau Marina Varadero Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Blau Marina Varadero Resort
Ranked #35 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
“Worth it for the Price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

My friend and I stayed at the Blau Marina from April19-26. The Pros: The beaches of Cuba are absolutely beautiful. The staff is incredibly friendly. The weather was excellent. Although I didn't really enjoy the food, I did not get sick off of it which was a huge plus! The Italian restaurant was decent! Our room had a trunk in it that we kept our important things in but bring your own lock! The Cons: The rooms were average. My friend unfortunately had a blood stained sheets and lipstick stained pillow cases which was very disgusting. The food was very boring. We went to the Spanish a la carte and we did not enjoy it. You do not order from the menu and they just bring you foods. It was difficult to identify the foods and when we would ask the servers or chef we could not comprehend what they were saying through their broken English. The maids gave us new shower towels every few days but we did not get any new beach towels at all throughout our stay. Also every time the maid cleaned our room she would unlock our patio door and not lock it back up.
Overall the resort was fine for a short vacation and a relatively cheap price!

Room Tip: We stayed in Block 17 which was close to the small pool and beside the gym!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Taylor V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed at the Blau Marina with my wife and two children. We really enjoyed it. Rooms were clean and were relatively modern, nice rooms with a nice patio. We were on the first floor which my wife didn't think we would like but I loved it because going in and out there were no stairs and it was quick to get around. There is a main pool and 2 other pools which is good because you can choose more lively or quiet. The hotel is right on the beach which is nice.There are wonderful shows held each night at the hotel so there is something for everyone and it is free entertainment. The lobby had wonderful musicians playing the piano and violin it was really terrific. The hotel had a beautiful lobby which had a great view of the beach and ocean. I really felt like I was staying at a top notch resort. Let me begin by saying that if you want to be served good food at an all-inclusive resort then don't go to Cuba because you won't find it. You can have good meals but they will not be found at the buffet table of your hotel regardless of which hotel you stay at. Another criticism I have heard is that you can get bitten by mosquitos at night. My response to that is it is true. I also get attacked by mosquitos in my own backyard during the summer. As a tropical destination mosquitos will come out at night and if you have been using your patio door some may enter your room. I got bit a few times the first night and after that sprayed insect repellant before going to bed and did not get another bite the rest of the week. I would recommend bringing some with you just in case. None of us got sick from anything and the weather was beautiful. Do yourself a big favour, go to this hotel or a more expensive one. In Varadero if you try to save money on your hotel you will be disappointed. if you stay at a 4.5 or 5 star resort you will have a great time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank John T
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

We had a great time at the Blau Marina Varadero on April 18th - April 26th. Traveled with my husband and my 8yr daughter and it was their first time to Cuba my second. Check in was fairly quick as we arrived at 2:00am. The shuttle driver was there right away to take us to our room.
We were in building 1300 and our maid Ada was excellent my daughter and her would right little notes to each other every day. Our waitresses were fantastic and we really enjoyed breakfast and fresh pasta stations for dinner. The nightly entertainment was amazing!! Especially the Micheal Jackson show. Most days we would spend the morning at the pool with the water slide and swim up bar and do the beach in the afternoon. The swim up bar & the new Beach bar had the most amazing bartenders!! The service was fantastic and we would defiantly go back.

Room Tip: We heard block 15 was really nice and it's close to everything. We were in block 13 and lets ju...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank noble2014
Truro, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed at the Blau Marina Varadero at the end of a backpacking trip around Cuba. Varadero itself was a bit of a culture shock since most people speak English and it felt more like Southern Spain than Cuba.

Staff: Almost all of the staff were friendly, efficient and helpful.

Pricing: If you are not staying here as part of a package holiday, then book your stay online in your country of origin prior to arriving (or ask a relative to do this for you!). We were quoted $520 USD for two nights over the phone but my parents were able to reserve us the same two nights for $300 USD online.

Rooms: Fairly standard for resort hotels. Very comfortable double beds. The air conditioning was mercifully quiet. The room itself did smell quite damp. The 'mini-bar' consisted of a few cans of beer in a fridge that didn't work and smelt of ham.

Facilities: The lobby and bar area is tremendous and really has 'wow' factor. The beach is stunning and there are plenty of places to lie in the shade. Swimming pools are clean but relatively shallow. There is a quieter pool and a 'family' pool. Sports facilities were good although they were resurfacing the tennis court whilst we were there. The games room (table tennis, pool, table football) is great.

Food & drink: Evening meals were disappointing. Standard buffet fare was provided but the quality was average. Accompanying wine was only just edible. Unlike the rest of the country, cocktails are made with syrups rather than real fruit juice. We didn't try any of the 'specialist' dining areas. Breakfast and lunchtime meals were good.

Night-time entertainment: The dance show was OK but a little cheesy.

Despite the criticisms, we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DConnor
Pointe Claire, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

the beach was amazing! because it is the last resort it is a beautiful walkable beach. At the far left it is so quiet that one has the impression it is a private one. The sand is not supper fine and does not stick to your skin, and there are beautiful shells to collect. There is always someone to help you get a beach chair. Because the resort is so long there are many accesses to the beach with their own beach chairs. We never had a hard time finding beach chairs.
The food was quite bad, the worst I have had in Cuba and the bars are ways to busy because the servers are always in a rush. Most of the staff did not speak English well enough to serve in the dinning rooms. The drinks were never the same: I have never had some many variations of a mojito!!

I would not go back again.

Room Tip: ask for one near the restaurants or medical centre.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank nita k
Orillia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

Having not been on a trip for 24 years, my husband and I chose to stay at Blau Marina Varadero in February 2014. Everything was what I expected and more. We liked it so much, we went back in April. The Animacion team was wonderful as a group and as individuals. Special thanks to Tomas and Ileana. Your personality shines through. Nice to see everyone always smiling. The pool activities were fun. Everday I got involved. Our two special women at the swimup bar, Lu and Amaryls, have a memory like a steel trap. The drinks were always there without waiting. Javier, the pool guy, needs a raise. That guy was non stop both times we were there. He was always cleaning and always willing to help find a lounge chair for you. Everday, he had a smile and a "good morning my friend." We will definately keep in contact with him.
The other two employees that I would like to mention are Maylene and Mikal who tend the 24 hour bar in the main lobby. Both of you are amazing. Your smiles and energy are contagious. Because of the employees at Blau Marina, we are going back to the same resort again next February. I have absolutely nothing bad to say. Friendships are forever.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Coleen K
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

I just returned home from spending a week at the Blau Marina Varadero Resort from April 20th-28th. If you're considering going to this resort.....do it! This was my fourth trip to Cuba and my second time staying in Varadero and I plan on going back to this resort.

First Impressions: My first impression of this resort was a good one. The shuttle from the airport to the resort was quick and the check in process took three minutes at most. A staff member was waiting to help us with our luggage as soon as we were checked in. Our room was clean and the AC worked very well.

Room/Resort: We stayed in room 1541 which was in the 1500 block overlooking the main pool. This building was central to everything including the beach/buffet and lobby. The resort itself is large, but no matter where you are on the resort you're not far from the beach. The resort is at the tip of the peninsula and is long and narrow. To put it simply the resort is beautiful!

Beach: The beach stretches for 2km along the resort and there were always huts available and you never had to search for a lounger. The water was clear and shallow so great for families with small children. A branch new beach bar opened on the beach as well. ;-)

Service: I can't say enough about how fantastic the service was and how the staff went out of their way to make you feel comfortable and welcome. Our breakfast server Joanna always greeted us with a smile and reminded us to come back for lunch.
The cleaning staffs were always smiling and the nightly entertainment was INCREDIBLE!
If you only have time to take in one show make it the Michael Jackson show because you will not be disappointed.

I left this resort feeling refreshed and truly satisfied with my vacation. If you're travelling to any resort in Cuba you have to keep in mind that you're in a country that has a trade embargo with the US and a 5 star resort in Cuba is not a 5 star in Canada or the US.

Go with an open mind and I have no doubt you will fall in love with the Blau Marina. :-)

Room Tip: I suggest requesting a room in the 1500 block on the pool side on a second or third level. This buil...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends