“Great Hotel Excellent, Staff Wonderful staff”

Blau Varadero Hotel Cuba
Ranked #4 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
“Great Hotel Excellent, Staff Wonderful staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Went with family and friends for a two weeks we all had a great time the hotel is great the staff is wonderful the sea warm and plenty to choose from in food department very hot 31 degrees at 09.00hrs.
Pool entertainment great plenty of sun beds at the pool or on the beach food and drink 24/7.
Who could ask for more.

Room Tip: I had a room on the ground floor which was great. But the higher the room the better view
8 Thank Deborah C
José M P, General Manager at Blau Varadero Hotel Cuba, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Deborah C,

Thank you very much for choosing Blau Varadero Hotel to spend your holidays in Cuba.

We are very glad to read that you a great time at our hotel. Thank you very much for the good

comments about our variety of food, staff, and hotel in general.

We appreciate the time investing in sharing your opinions with other clients.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to Blau Varadero Hotel.

Warm regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,532)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Once again Blau does not disappoint. Went with grandsons and were very happy with everything.The hotel itself is lovely-interesting architecture,wonderful pool area, terrific grounds and generous beach area. The food was the very good with lots of variety. The specialty restaurant "La Palma" was superb, with impeccable service and wonderful food. The string quartet made dining truly an occasion. The staff were hard working and professional in every spot. The young men who managed archery were especially kind to our grandsons.Finally congratulations to Sr. Jose Maria the Manager who seemed to be everywhere at once and for whom no request was too small . He is a GEM!. We felt the Children's programme at Blau Costa Verde was better because they had a dedicated centre for all their activities.
The aqua ballet was good but better at Costa Verde where it id performed at night under coloured lights. All in all , a great holiday and we will return.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.Pool view rooms cost more and may be noisier.
2 Thank rogersowerby
Dear Rogersowerby,

I also want to thank you for the nice review about our facilities in general. We appreciate the

good comments about our variety of food.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal at Palma Real Restaurant.

We appreciate the time investing in sharing your opinions with other clients.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to Blau Varadero Hotel.

Yellowknife, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I went to this resort April 2-April 9, 2012 with my husbands parents it wouldn't let me pick a date later than August 2013. I had been to Cuba before and stayed at the Barceló and I have to say I liked this resort better. This trip was about relaxing and this resort was great for that. We only left the resort twice, once to go into Varadero and see the shops and one all day trip to Havana.
HOTEL
The hotel is really nice we got a really nice room, we were on one of the top floors that was overlooking the grounds of the hotel and the ocean. It was an amazing view! Our room was big it had a nice big bathroom with shower/tub, a nice big queen size bed (pillows weren't very comfy) and a pull out couch. No complaints at all for the rooms. The lobby bar was really nice, great drinks. There was a theatre that had shows every night. The pool was nice, not real big but it was nice and warm, no swim up bar but waiters came around and got your drink order. The grounds were very nice.
BEACH
The beach was AMAZING!! I can't rant enough about the beaches in Cuba they are probably the nicest I've seen and I've been to many places with nice beaches. If you want a chair with some shade you need to get up early though.
FOOD
The food was average, it is Cuba and you can't expect good food but it wasn't terrible for Cuban food. The a la carte restaurants were good too. The bar near the beach was open at night for some food, I think it was sandwiches not sure how long it stayed open till.
STAFF
Staff was very friendly.
ENTERTAINMENT
I don't remember if there was a disco or not, we didn't go as this was a trip with my husbands parents.
TOURS
We did a full day tour to Havana which I highly recommend. It was a great drive with your tour guide explaining what you were seeing on the way, and a stop at a little roadside bar where you can get very delicious pina coladas and a bathroom break. Once in Havana they drove through some of the highlight parts where you got to see some old buildings etc, we also did the Rum and Cigar tours which was interesting to see. My recommendation is to do a little bit of research before going to Havana, I went to Havana twice without really knowing anything about Cuba and then came home and read some of the books that I bought while there and I think that I would have liked the tour more if I understood what I was looking at. I kinda want to go back just to pay more attention and actually take it in since it makes sense now. It was very hot and some of the tour you are walking so keep hydrated bring cool clothes, a hat, sunscreen etc. At the end of the tour they took you to the pier where there were hundreds of little stands to buy souvenirs. It is a long day starts early in the am and we got home after supper, but well worth it.

Overall it was a great stay, really nice hotel, very relaxing. The hotel is more for families and people who aren't there to party. So if you are looking to party then stay at the Barceló where I stayed the year before it was party central.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Chels12
Dear Chels12,

Thank you very much for choosing Blau Varadero hotel to spend your holidays in Cuba.

We want to thank you for the good comments about our food, drinks, entertainment, service and the facility in general.
We are happy to see that you liked your room.
Thank you for sharing your experiences with other people.
We will be very happy to welcome you back again.

Warm Regards
Stanford-Le-Hope, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

My wife and myself stayed at the Blau Varadero, set on a stunning peninsula at the edge of a pristine white-sand beach amid tropical gardens, in Cuba for 9 nights, from 20th May 14, after leaving Havana. It took 2½ hours by car to get there but it's an interesting journey. The reception is air conditioned which was a great welcome and we were offered a glass of local bubbly to "wet our whistle". Our reception was handled quickly and was very efficient. We were taken up-to the 8th floor to our room which had a breathtaking view over the hotel grounds, swimming pools, bars, restaurants Etc with the white shell sand and the sea as the back drop MAGIC!!. The room was OK with a fridge, safe (extra charge) air con, a nice bathroom and a largish balcony with a small table and 2 chairs. It was nice to sit in the morning and evening before meals having a drink and gazing out to sea. The room didn't have enough drawers so our clothes were spread out a bit or left in the cases. It did have a clothes drying rack on the balcony which was very handy for washing and drying "bits" which with the heat of the sun dried them in no time. We didn't go out of the hotel as there was so much to occupy us day and evening. Lounging round the pools or the lovely grassed garden areas or off to the beach where large thatched shaded "umbrellas" are provided. There are bars, to get food and drink, open all the time by the pool and also by the beach (24hrs this one) and a couple of times paella was cooked on BBQ on the beach. I was really impressed by the drinks as they served practically anything you could think of. All the premium brands at no extra charge and all the cocktails you usually get and some more local rum types of their own. The food in the restaurants was pretty good but as is usual in Cuba the meat is of poor quality. The other off putting thing was the hot plates on the cold counter. Not a good idea in the Caribbean! There are 2 other speciality restaurants that are very good and these are included once free for every 3 days stay days. The entertainment was very good with a very professional dance troupe doing shows and reviews (mostly Cuban salsa). We had a Michael Jackson take off one night and I can honestly say he was the best I have seen. Better that the one in "Thriller" in the West End and all for free. We even had dance lessons every day where we learnt (A) we would never get a job as dancers there and (B) my Michael Jackson impression is more Max Wall or John Cleese. We loved Cuba but its is a long trot. We left the hotel 12 noon on Saturday and landed at Gatwick 9.30 the next morning (5 hours time difference), very tiring but lovely memories.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor one facing the sea
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PartyMason
North Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

15th visit to the Blau Varadero July 8-15th. Since it is school holidays my wife was able to also do the trip. It was a very nice week. Weather was HOT. Thunderstorms were usually overnight, once before lunch and a couple of early evening ones. The lightning was generally on the horizon and the rain missed the resort. The resort was as usual great. The best thing about this resort are the staff and if you ask what is the worst thing I will laugh and say the elevators. Food was enjoyable with enough assortment to not get bored. One day they roasted a whole pig. Couple of days I had the Paella and one day I discovered a white bean & sausage stew which was to die for. Tried to duplicate the recipe when I got back and think I did a pretty good job. The a la carte restaurants were enjoyable and always had a good selection of items. I love the optional wine list at these restaurants. Can buy a wine for the dinner less than it costs me at the liquor store in BC, Canada. Since the resort is Spanish owned the Spanish wine selection always gives me some discoveries that unfortunately I can't even buy in Canada. Music at both a la carte restaurants is superb. Due to the heat we did not do any excursions and just spent virtually all our time at the beach. Evenings were spent mostly at the lobby bar with excellent bartenders like Joel, O'Neil etc. etc. The resort has a nice international customer mix. The number of English Canadians seems down with an equal number of Brits, Germans and various other Europeans. Also a high percentage of Spanish speaking guests. Jose (the hotel general manager) does a great job. One of the pictures I've included are the fans at the hotel watching the 2014 FIFA World Cup final - rest of the hotel was almost empty.

Room Tip: Beach/pool facing rooms are nice. If you want to walk up/down stairs and avoid the elevators then th...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DWadeNorthVancouver
Dear DWadeNorthVancouver,

On behalf of all of us at Blau Varadero we want to thank you for your loyalty to the staff and the
services you have tried so many times. It is a pleasure to know that each time you visited us
you have enjoyed your stay.
We are happy to see that you enjoyed the roasted pig and loved the paella. Thank you for
sharing your experiences with other people
We are looking forward to your next visit, soon we hope
Warm Regards from Blau Family
North Yorkshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

We visited the Blau Varadero for two weeks of rest and relaxation (June 27th – July 11th), and that was exactly what we got.
Check-in was pretty chaotic when we arrived as another bus had preceded ours, but within 20 minutes we were checked-in and on our way to our 12th floor room with its beautiful view of the pool and sea. Yes, the lifts might be a little quirky but we never had to wait more than 3-4 minutes for one to whisk us away. Thankfully once in them they are quick, as they are like mobile ovens.

The hotel’s appearance is quite brutal from outside but once you get used to it it does have a certain beauty, and is very practical. (Whilst we were there we saw painters abseiling down the outside to keep it in top condition.) The inside is a wide open space with creepers dangling from every level towards the ground. The reception, piano bar (with patio), main buffet restaurant and Guest Relations are on level 3, whilst the lobby bar is on level 1 right along from the pool.

Our room was very large with a big bathroom (bath with shower over, wash basin, WC and bidet) and king-size bed. The fittings might be showing their age but the bed was comfortable (if firm), the air-conditioning kept it reasonably cool, and the maid kept it very clean and re-supplied the mini-bar daily. The design means that every room has a large balcony with view.

We took advantage of both the Palma Real and Mexican restaurants. Palma Real is air-conditioned and formal clothing is required. Musicians of some variety play every evening. The menu is quite limited but delicious and you have the choice of house wine or selecting from the wine list at extra charge. Service was spot-on and we were not hurried out. The Mexican again has a limited menu but again we found the food to be good. A band played, but the heat and humidity meant that we didn’t hang around long. Thankfully the Mexican does not require long trousers.

The buffet restaurant is what you would expect, but the quality of food was generally good with stations cooking selected dishes to order. The drink service to the table could be a bit slow given the throughput of guests, but we selected an area where we normally got served by staff that got to know us. The omelette / egg guy at breakfast was brilliant and would start preparing our “usual” as soon as he saw us approaching.

The biggest lunch choice is to be found by the pool bar, but additionally there were grills and salads at the beach bar and a grill right by the pool, plus occasional cooking on the beach itself and in the gardens.

Most of the time we frequented the lobby bar before and after dinner, but we did choose the piano bar a couple of times. The variety of drinks was massive, and by requesting named brands (Gordons Gin, Jamesons Whiskey) you got exactly what you wanted. Crystal beer is cold and thirst-quenching.

Our choice for daytime was the beach. Powder soft sand and warm crystal-clear water whilst chilling-out on a lounger under a palm umbrella was our idea of heaven. The beach staff find you a spot and a lounger when you need one. We didn’t partake of the water sports equipment. One afternoon we spent by the pool. The loungers, shade and pool itself are top quality and you get a drink service to your sunbed, but we really go to the Caribbean for the beach. We do wish that the music on the beach had been a bit less intrusive than it sometimes was – we could have gone to the pool for that!

Other comments are that the General Manager Jose Maria is ever-present to ensure that your stay is up to standard, there is WiFi at a cost (and it is just about adequate for basic use in the main areas of the building, given that there is no mobile internet in Cuba) and that the staff in the main are very happy, friendly and aiming to make your holiday a brilliant experience. If you are a repeat visitor then ensure you make the fact known. We got extras given such as a best available room, a bottle of rum and an invitation to a weekly repeat visitors dinner hosted by the General Manager.

All in all the Blau is an excellent choice for Varadero and offered us great value for money for our chill-out break. If revisiting Varadero we would be unlikely to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Mighty-Red
Dear Mighty-Red,

Thank you very much for choosing Blau Varadero hotel one more time to spend your holidays in Cuba.
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with other travelers.
We are glad to read that you enjoyed the a la carte restaurants and that if you come to Varadero in the future you will choose us again.
Thank you very much for the nice review about our facilities.
We hope to see you soon.

Warm Regards
Maple, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Great staff, good food, the hotel has a fantastic layout. Service was excellent. They try to accommodate you with anything you require. I would have liked to see more activities during the day at the beach. We had 10 people with us, one member of the family has a peanut allergy, and they accommodated him. It was wonderful to have such a great bunch of people making the vacation memorable.

Thanks Blau Varadero

4 Thank mary p
Dear Mary p,
Thank you for visiting Blau Varadero Hotel.
We want to thank you for your nice review about our facilities in general.
We are glad to read that we could accommodate your dietary requirements. It is very important
for us. Thank you for sharing your experiences with other people.
We hope to see you soon.