“Great Hotel and Beach”

Ranked #4 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
glasgow
“Great Hotel and Beach”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed here in July with another 2 couples. We stayed here for 6 nights before going to Havana. Be prepared for a 2 and a half hour bus trip from the airport to this hotel, which isnt great after 9 hours on a plane, but not the hotels fault. We had a room on the11th floor facing over the pool and the sea, fantastic views, I would recommend asking for a sea view when you book.Lots of choice and variety for all the meals so you wont get bored with the food and snacks available all day should you get peckish between meals.Never a shortage of sunbeds around the pool or the grassy area and loads of shade if you dont like sitting out in the sun all day.The beach is gorgeous and the sea is like stepping into a bath and very safe if you are taking kids.We spent most nights sitting out at the piano bar, service was good and waiters very friendly. Dont be fooled by the exterior of the hotel, 1st impressions are it looks like a car park but it is fabulous and has a stunning pool layout. My only gripe about the hotel is the lack of lifts, 4 small lifts service the whole hotel, sometimes taking 5 mins to arrive, the stairs were sometimes quicker and some well needed exercise after lounging around all day. Would recommend staying here if you are visiting Varadero

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room as you will be looking into a car park otherwise.
7 Thank John_SandraGlasgow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,554)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Great hotel if you are looking for a good quality 'all inclusive' hotel in Varadero. Everything is included and is good quality. They vary food menu's everyday, so there is normally always something new everyday.

Rooms are good quality and facilities are as you would expect from a good hotel.

We were very happy with the hotel and would highly recommend!

* They even have WiFi internet (only hotel we found in Cuba that had wifi).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank DeepakTailor
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I’ve been travelling to Cuba every year since 2009. I’ve stayed at Blau Varadero for two consecutive years (in May 2012 and June 2013). Both of my stays at this hotel were fantastic! Although this resort is not as luxurious as Iberostar Varadero, the bedrooms and public areas (lobby, piano bar, dining room, pool etc…) were well maintained and very clean. The staff is friendly and very accommodating.

This resort’s star attraction is the beach. The sand is white and the water is crystal clear. There are plenty of lounge chairs shaded by huts along the beach. At the beginning of our trip, we gave a 10-dollar tip to the person responsible for organizing the lounge chairs each morning. He had a hut reserved for us every day.

The entertainment/night life at this resort was okay. There is an outdoor beach bar that stays open 24/7. They play music at night but it is infested with mosquitoes. Cuba is extremely safe. Do not hesitate to call a cab and visit one of the local clubs. If you ask the animators, they will tell you which club is “happening” on any given night. All the tourists go to the same “it” club that is “happening” on that night.

Here are some things to keep in mind when you are travelling to Cuba:
- Cuba is a communist country. The people are poor and lack basic necessities such as toilette paper. I suggest going to the dollar store and buying shampoos, soaps, toothbrushes, diapers, maxi pads and other toiletries to give to the staff in addition to tip.
- Bring some of your old clothes that you no longer wear (in good condition of course) and donate them to the staff.
- Lower your expectations when it comes to food. If you want to eat like a queen, go to Italy. The food at Blau Varadero was very good compared to other resorts I’ve stayed at but there was little variety.
- If you want to purchase authentic cigars and rum, I suggest doing so at the airport. The resort boutique is quite expensive and the cigars that are sold on the beach are often counterfeit.
- Exchange your money at the airport or at the local bank. The exchange rate is lower than the resort’s.

If you want a five star experience at a four star price, Blau Varadero is a great option! Enjoy!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
11 Thank Amandella26
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Just came back from my five day getaway and boy am I happy. Checking in took us roughly 20 minutes as the group we came from was not that big. First impressions are wonderful as the resort is beautifully designed. The rooms were dated but it's a Cuba thing. There were some minor things that did get me which I'll explain further on.

The Good:
The food was excellent, did get repetitive by the third day but always stayed tasty. The staff are wonderful people who go beyond your expectations to make you happy. The beach was great, calm water and white sand. Rooms are nice and clean. Most importantly, the resort was creepy crawler free. The location was perfect, 20 minutes from the airport and about an hour and a half from Havana. Speedy guest services really did make me happy knowing that my problem can be solved that quick. Weather was perfectly set that it was sunny for the first half of the day and rainy by the late evening hours. The entertainment was also pretty good as every night they had live music or a show going on, great things for passing time.

The Bad:
Elevator wait times; I waited about 10 minutes for the elevator till I ditched it and took the stairs instead, sometimes its there and sometimes you have to wait (a long time) for it. For people who's rooms are above the eight floor, this will be a hassle. The lack of A/C in the complex really did bug me as the temperature was extremely warm and knowing that the entire resort is in one building scares me. The breakfast and dinner buffets were separate from the lunch buffet which does not have any A/C, its basically outside and it is very warm inside. I don't know if this is a resort thing or not, but the weather was too extreme for me, got up in the mid 30's on most days of the week. All of this did bug me but it only deserved one star off, not more.

Tips: Normally the Canadian summer months in Cuba are the warmest, but I was told that 2014 is the hottest year so far there. I would recommend going in early spring or early winter. Don't be fooled by the souvenir prices in the resort as the prices three times higher than in town. I would suggest going to Plaza Las Americanos as it is 15 minutes away and you can buy anything there at a low cost.

Overall I would recommend this place to anybody, it's probably one of the best resorts that I have been to in Cuba despite it's minor flaws. The resort also offers great tours to Havana for $60 per person which I really enjoyed. I am going back next year for sure!

Room Tip: Higher floors will be tough since elevator times are inconsistent meaning that you will have to take...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank danny8903
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

was at the blau in july for two weeks first time in cuba for myself and husband and we had an amazing holiday,the beach is where we spent our days and its the most amazing beach ever, loved the food at the buffet restaurant also the mexican very good although a bit to hot no air con, also the a la cart amazing and loved the classical quartat very romantic lol,most night's we spent in the piano bar and sat outside on the patio some lovely back ground music with two pianists who were very good but the best part for us was lorvio the waiter such a gentleman who always brought your drink over without even asking for it also a fantastic soprano singing voice he made our nights so special,went to havana for two nigthts amazing experience i will definitely be back to the blau hopefully next year,:)))))

Room Tip: we were in room 210 and it was perfect for us, maybe in late afternoon when sitting out reading it m...
8 Thank vicky612013
Sunderland
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We arrived after a long flight from England at the reception where at first only 2 staff were checking in around 40 people so this took a while. I had previously requested a higher room pool and beach view, both at travel agents and regular emails to reception a month before arrival... As stated on trip advisor this was what other people did, Was disappointed to find we were on the lower floor (5) with a back view, later found out that some people had paid up to £400 extra for a higher view and they asked to be moved as the water pressure for showers was appalling, if you have visited before your requests are met it appears.
Our room was ok basic but it's fine, dated but this is Cuba and it was kept spotless clean every day.
The food was ok it does get repetitive but again this is Cuba and I never once went hungry. There were 4 of us with different tastes and all of us enjoyed the food, would like to add that the al la carte restaurant is amazing, fab food, fab service, fab music from the quartet and great atmosphere. The Mexican restaurant was fab atmosphere, fab service but food was terrible I got the pork burrito and it was awful, we all chose different things but we all agreed the food was not nice and seemed warmed up and quite tasteless.
Beach is amazing, one if the best ones I have been to with free water activities including catamaran (someone comes out with you) pedalos and canoes, the breeze here is amazing and sometimes food is cooked on the beach like risotto.
Pool is huge and gets quite warm after lunch with limited shade around the pool, we had no trouble getting beds at either the pool or the beach.
Staff are very hardworking, it was fantastic that the manager regularly comes around everywhere chatting and shaking hands with all the guests and this is quite some size, he really is a nice man interested in what you have to say and works hard.
Bars - our favourite was the piano bar, Lovio and Sergio are a credit to the Blau, they were always smiling and helpful and made the nights entertaining ... Lovio had an amazing voice often singing along with the pianist, we also enjoyed the 2 singers who played maracas and guitar.
Entertainment staff during the day were great, and didn't pressurise you to join in and there was never a struggle to get people to join the fun. Night time - I did make An effort to watch the entertainment that was brought in from outside the hotel, pool dancers, circus etc, I watched only 2 nights of the in staff dancers and thought to be honest they were not that good, it often came across they were carrying on and chatting to each other which didn't look professional and I was disappointed with this as when I visited caya coco 3 years ago the dancers were amazing and I never missed a show!
Trips out- firstly the rep recommends you only go on trips with them and they mention insurance, please take my word for it and go to Havana with someone recommended from a local or a worker at the Blau, not only is it much cheaper, it's fully insured and you choose what you wanna do with brilliant people who are so well educated and amazing to be around aswell as full of knowledge and not just taking you to places they make money from going.
Catamaran to Cayo blanco - great day, fab staff, though beach isn't as nice as the Blau's it's a great day out with lots of fun and unique games (I won't spoil it but my husband won a bottle of rum). We were caught in a storm on the way back which was really bad and although I was very scared the captain was amazing and kept us so safe.

Open top bus to Varadero. Highly recommend this and to get out and about to the various markets and restaurants it's totally safe.

Would I visit again? Maybe not but I'm glad I went as we had an amazing 2 weeks ... Feel free to message me with any questions

• Stayed August 2014
6 Thank Angsland
Canada
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We were at the Blau for one week this July. Traveling the strip, we knew when we had arrived - the unique structure of the hotel just pops, and it was more impressive than others have noted in their reviews. Our travel agent had formally requested with the Blau that we get a high floor, ocean view and a king size bed - well we got the fifth floor (low), a car park view and one of out of the three requests, a king size bed. Upon entering our room we noticed right away that the dresser door was broken and hanging off the hinge, as well the furniture was badly worn and in some cases not even level. We were not expecting perfection but you don't put people in a room where things are broken. Even the sliding closet doors would not close properly, you had to play with them every time you wanted to get in the closet. The rooms are big and spacious but the finer details are really lacking. The sheets are rough, stained or showing their wear and tear on the edges with holes and fraying. The bathroom towels often looked brown, when they were supposed to be white and suffered the same problems as the sheets with holes and frayed edges as well as some staining. A real turn off! The one positive about the room is the air conditioning, it keeps it cool but in order for the electricity to run your room key needs to be placed in the power slot by the door - TRICK!! - bring an old gift card or hotel card with you (something with a strip on the back) so when you leave the room the air will keep running and your room will be cool for bed time. The hotel pool although very large is in desperate need of some shaded areas, the first day we arrived at the pool by late afternoon and it was like bath water and offered no refreshment from the humid weather. There are very few shady areas around the pool so during the day it is hard to avoid the sun. The beach is a quick walk past the pool but it is very short and crowded with palm umbrella covers and chairs. Once in a while you will have a very strong sewer smell as well. The FOOD - well I don't know what to say. There are some people that really seemed to enjoy the food at the Blau - but I have to tell you that we really struggled with the food. Now I knew going to Cuba that the food would be an issue but it was extremely disappointing - the food was lacking in care and often the meat was full of bones and fat and there were a lack spices or salt used - basically tasteless. The buffet offerings were simple, for example a large tray of corn or carrots, always fish but watch out for the bones. I did not think you could mess up pasta but it was very poorly made and was sweet and watered down. There were plenty of cold cuts, cheese and salad but very repetitive, and thinly cut. Now the positive part to the restaurants was the servers, we had some gems like Rodolfo who is amazing, and is a floater between the pool bar (pm), buffet, lobby bar and piano bar - he helped make buffet time more enjoyable. The piano bar was our usual venture at night as the shows were disappointing due to the sound system at the hotel that caused the voices/singing to have a piercing effect. The piano bar entertainment for the week included 2 different pianists, and a guitar singing duo. The pianist on Thurs. and Sat. night is awesome and very humble and cute. We were disappointed that the guitar duo when not getting enough attention (i.e. tips) headed out to the patio to continue their show and to get more attention - this was in connection with the head waiter. The activity team that worked the pool area was quiet and did not spend all day on the microphone which was nice, we have had this experience at other hotels and it was nice to see that did not happen here. It is to be noted though that some of the activity coordinators did not go out of there way to start activities and would call it on the microphone and then get sidetracked talking to "friends" they have made and not follow through on the activity ignoring anyone who showed up for the event - this happened at the bingo activity. Again not cool! We took the day trip to Havana, this is a must when you are so close and would recommend that to anyone visiting Cuba. I will say though that the trip was very set up for the tourists to spend extra time at certain bars, museums and stores to intentionally give them business. Unfortunately, we were really disappointed with this Blau hotel especially after reading the reviews in anticipation of our trip, and originally with our booking of this hotel.

9 Thank TravellingCanucks11