“Second time”

Ranked #56 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Halifax, Canada
“Second time”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Second time at this hotel/resort, the room was much cleaner and the room looked like it was freshly painted, service was hit and miss, it depended on who was working the bar, some were really friendly, some were bitter. The front desk were very good, security guards were really nice.

The beach was beautiful, the bar moved up to the street. Only got juice and pop while at the beach. No wash-rooms on the beach, a big disappointment

Lobby was always spotless and so were the wash-rooms near the lobby .

The bar was very clean, loved the cuban coffee

Pool area was spotless, so was the pool.

Snack bar was nicely decorated, the hamburgers and hotdogs were not very tasty :-(

Buffet was hit or miss, mostly miss, the food was cold and went downhill from last year, rabbit was on the buffet every day and night. Chicken only once a week, I lived off ice cream and cheese and bread Would I go again, Only if I get a super deal, I ate off the resort a few times.
You will have to do that if you stay here unless the food got better.

All in all its a good low budget hotel, clean but dated, me and my bf were only at the hotel to wash and sleep.

Room Tip: Eat a big breakfast, eat off the resort a few times. I was in room 412, a good room. Ask for it or...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank shelleyl613

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Slovak first
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I spent two weeks at Acuazul and I had an amazing time. The hotel is clean and safe and much better than I had expected for what is rated as a two star. If you are looking for a budget holiday this is a great choice. I read lots of negative reviews and my response is...if you want a 5 star then PAY FOR A 5 STAR. The food was okay and the staff were friendly and courteous. The beach was amazing and for the price it was money well spent! If you are a demanding and obnoxious traveler go somewhere else!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the upper floors and facing the pool. The only negative is that the Bingo durin...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank Jamie T
SK Canada
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This was my 4th time to Cuba, first time at this hotel. All the basics are covered at the hotel. Yes the rooms need updating, and things are not perfect but my experience is that is how it is in Cuba. Rooms were clean. Didn't spend a lot of time in the room or in the hotel, Varadero has such beautiful beaches and so many other places to explore.

The food is not great, but we never went hungry. You could always have fruit, eggs and toast for breakfast. The snack bar has tasty ham and cheese sandwiches. We only ate at the evening buffet 2 times, food was not hot, others traveling with me didn't mind. I didn't enjoy the evening buffet mostly due to many people without manners and people budding in line. So we ate out a fair bit for supper. Bring some money to eat out a few times, it's a nice change from the buffet and there are good places to eat close to the hotel.

One of the bartenders informed me that the water in the hotel was safe to drink. He was filling up water bottles using water from the tap at the bar and said that was the same water flowing though the entire hotel, same water in the taps in our rooms. I Never got sick the entire time during the trip (which was a first for me),

The bar is open 24 hours and it is used. Bring mosquito repellant if you plan to be up late.

People on the pool side of the hotel could hear people up late. The street side is a little noisy with traffic but not as loud, and has a nice view of the ocean. Try and get a room that is on 5th or 6th floor if you can. And bring ear plugs.

Beach bar is a short block off the beach and doesn't have bathrooms.

I would stay here again, primarily for the price and location.

Room Tip: Rooms on the street side and on the 5th or 6th floor will be a little more quiet. Bring ear plugs.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank prairiegrl
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I returned to this hotel again from september 27 to october 11 and had an enjoyable time.The hotel is still basic but the location and size is perfect for me.The pool bar is now the snack food bar which has improved,more choices.hamburgers,grilled cheese and ham and hot dogs.open from 10 am to 5 pm.the snack bar was closed on the beach,due to small occupancy.I had a better time because I got to see the people from my last time and even visited with them at their homes.The pool area is well maintained and kept super clean by Rolando.The new all inclusive bar is located where the cash bar used to be in the lobby area and it is open 24 hrs a day and it serves alcohol 24 hrs also..The coffee is still the best.My room was on the 3th floor and it was kept clean and it was bug free.I am intending to return in six months.I found a small place that serves a ham and cheese pizza for 1 cuc,it is on 16th st. and 3th.I must state that the food improved from last year,smaller selection due to low guests but fresher.Always fish,meat,chicke and rabbit and seafood once a week.

Room Tip: if you want a safe ask for a pool room but if you want it to be quiiter than ask for ocean view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
9 Thank jdacosta16
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Location close to the beach with there own beach chairs and parasols (free). Its a all inclusive
hotel, what is not my cup of tea. I get irritated looking at the behaviour of some people (not all) when things are for free. I didn't know it was all inclusive, because it was the last hotel after a two weeks group travel. Only had diner the evening we arrived. Only had breakfast in the morning, but for lunch and diner and drinks i went to town.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank tinusfaasen
St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel in February 2013. The location is very nice, one of the greates beaches in Varadero belongs to this hotel - white sand, no rocks and a small all-inclusive bar with fresh water and disgusting rum at your service. Despite the fact that the beach is amazing the hotel itself is very poor. To start with, the buiding itself is as old as the Great Wall, the elevators, sink, bathroom, beds - are all out of order. The thing that made our holiday unbearable was the abscence of windows - I mean that there was no glass in them, only wooden shutters which could not save our ears from the constant noise from the street at night. At first we were given a rom with a view to the inner courtyard facing the pool and the stage where feasts were held every evening, thus no rest for us. However my decision to change the room to the one facing the ocean was completely wrong. Cafes and bars full of drunk tourists, people wandering up and down the street singing songs and yelling made us stay awake literally every night. The worst experience was a beach disco having taken place one night - no sleep till the morning.
The service was fine. Poor English knowledge of the staff was well compensated with nice Russian (fine for Russians, of course!). Lovely welcome note from a housekeeping lady was a nice touch, and the level of housekeeping was good in general (decorations and ways of making up the blanket made me smile every time). Unfortunately one incident spoiled the appreciation of the staff, when the toilet suddenly started to leak heavily and made the floor wet in all the rfoom just in a few minutes. When I wanted to call for maintenance I found out that the telephone wire was cut! So I had to run down the stairs from the 8th floor to the reception asking for help which arrived only 20 minutes after when my husband has successfuly repaired the leaking mechanism himself. No apologies and assistance with the drowned room were offered.
The restaurant is very good, both with food and waiters. Food was not rich and exquisite but very tasty and various. Almost no money spent for the outside restaurants. Staff was friendly, smiling and very helpful at the hotel restaurants. On Fridays the special event - the day of Cuba - was held with the lunch with barbecue served near the pool and traditional dancers performing. One of the greatest experiences I had in Cuba!
The biggest disappointment was the absence of Wi-Fi (however at the travel agencies sites it is marked as the one having it). When asked about the Internet cafe the receptionist showed us an Internet point located 10 blocks away from hotel. Unfortunately all the internet cards were fiinished by the moment we arrived to the point, and it was unclear for the clerk where to get one. We were told about one five star hotel located at the opposite side of the island (the road there took us 30 minutes by bus), but no Internet there could be provided for non-residence even for money! Nonsense!
Let me sum up that in general the hotel is OK, don't expect much and take your earplugs with you in order to have some rest. The Cuba is adorable in every aspect, the weather and the ocean are impossibly peaceful but I would not save money next time and stay at a five-star hotel.

Room Tip: inner court view is preferrable, not so noisy!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Olga C

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Reviewed 9 May 2013

This was my second stay at Acuazul. My first trip was jan 31- feb 8. The location is PRIME! Within walking distance to all the best shopping and small Cafe. During my first trip i made friends with lots of locals and kept in touch trough email and met up with them again when I came back in April. Some of the staff are not the most approachable, but if you talk to them and tip it's great. The rooms are nothing fancy, but most people don't go to Cuba to stay in their rooms the whole time. The food is average, so would recommend going out for dinner. Tons of great restaurants on the strip. The beach is amazing, and Is very short walking distance, compared to some resorts. The beach bar was moved a little out of the way compared to my first trip, but they are probably constructing a new one by next year. I love love love this hotel, not because its fancy, but because of my friends there and the location. If you go there, just smile and enjoy every minute, cause time flies:). I can't wait to go back again next February.

• Stayed April 2013