“Worth the money”

Ranked #57 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Kingston, Canada
“Worth the money”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

It's a great budget place to stay. I was solo and I did not have to pay anything extra, which is harder to find now.

It is better than sister hotel Varuazul, so choose carefrully. Islazul, another sister, is lower in quality.

There are several good places to eat and getting to the dance area, Calle 63, Beatles, Havana club is a 3-5 CUC ride.

You get to watch all kinds of great cars driving by.

The beach bar can be a party, or they will leave you alone to drink and contemplate.

What to BRING to give away; shoes; men's clothes (men's shoes too); shavers and anything that you can spare.

I believe in tipping and tipping often. A few CUCs for our Cuban sisters and brothers is a big deal, compared to what we would do with the money ourselves, and how easily we can obtain money. I am not suggested that you can't get scammed - be careful...just suggesting how good it can be to give those in need a little money to make life a little easier for themselves and their families.

It's the closest hotel on route to Havana, and the airport, if that is of any interest.

Enjoy. Nadine Canada

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank n r

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Slovak first
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I booked for about 8 nights, but was out of town and checked in two days late. The receptionist (guy in his 40:s) was really annoyed and did`nt really welcome me to stay in the hotel, because he could`nt find my reservation without putting a little effort on it. When he finally found my reservation, he started slowly acting nicely to me, and the guard, who was following our business all the time, started joking with me casually, I changed my mind about them being plain as**oles! :)
The room was huge for one person, a bit worn out, but a suberb vue over the town and to the sea. Plenty of warm water in the bath and clean sheets. Only problem was those fruit-sellers with their annonoying whistles on the streets during the days and a leaking toilet, that I fixed myself. The gasgets are worn out everywhere I suppose.

The lobby and the pool area are great and the shows in the night were quite classy I think ( spent my time at the lobby bar enjoying the drinks and good company)!

Food was ok, no "gourme", but, what the hell, for this price, just enjoy your nice meal!

The staff was sometimes working over 18 hours shifts and no wonder, if they had it hard to smile sometimes! I really want to give them respect and I hope to see those great people once again and I will tip them big time for being such good sports, just great people every one of them!

It was my first time in a hotel actually, because I prefer those "casas particulares", but it was a stress-free time and I got a lot of new friends there! Good times!
I`ll be back -Jani =)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank Jan-Erik E
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2014

booked between 12 n 26 feb 2014...upon landing at airport were told by the guide that there had been a gas explosion and were to be taken to hotel puntarena temporarily untill the repairs were done...was given a ocean view room with a balcony on the 5 th floor...but adjoining room was connected by a locked door ...hotel has a 24 hour bar with a long line up ,shops,money change,pool and beach snack bar with a tip cup in your face...for a four star food was average with non stop line up ,at times no tables available to eat...its a large resort attached to hotel playa caleta ..which looked like it was going under renovations...also located far from downtown...after 3 days of asking when i could go to hotel acuazul..no information was forthcoming..so made my way to the hotel and met tamara who said everything was now fixed ...rooms were available...asked for ocean view room on 5 th floor which included free safe...it was clean ,large but with dated furniture...beach is across the street by passing the canadian consulate..beach bar had drinks till 5 pm..plenty of sunbeds and animation at noon...beach was clean although there were cans ,empty bottles and other waste but saw a cleaning lady every evening who picked everything up...food is good enough ,never went hungry nor fell sick...if you make friends with bar and restaurant staff you will get 5 star service and not forgetting the room maid also . snack bar serves burgers and hot dogs but closes at 5 pm ...went on a jeep safari,local clubs,bars...also recommended a visit to santa marta which is just outside varadero if you want to experience real cuban culture
...cons of the hotel was only one elevator was working,some doors had to be locked with pressing the button on the inside and pulled thus creating loud noise everytime,there was a lack of pesos at the reception so make sure to change your money at airport or the banks..pros..super location,lovely staff,clean rooms..the only time there was screwup was on the way back ..bought 4 small bottles of rum,2 cans malta pops and new cuban energy drinks..these were confisticated at by customs as they wouldn"t allow it to be taken as carry on .. had to be put in check in baggage..gave me one can to drink infront of them...well i consider as an adventure ...overall varadero is a safe place as cops are on patrol all the time ..many cameras have been installed...plenty of casa particulars which rent rooms for 30 pesos a nite,there also as increase in traffic evidence of the government loosening a few rules...you cannot go wrong in varadero as long as you book in a hotel downtown .. a number classy restaurants are everywhere serving from sea food chinese,pizza joints etc....there is lottsa fun to be had so go and enjoy your holiday..do not forget to tip a little to the hotel workers .. make some cuban friends who will invite you to their homes and it will be fiesta time!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank combien_99
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Second time at this hotel/resort, the room was much cleaner and the room looked like it was freshly painted, service was hit and miss, it depended on who was working the bar, some were really friendly, some were bitter. The front desk were very good, security guards were really nice.

The beach was beautiful, the bar moved up to the street. Only got juice and pop while at the beach. No wash-rooms on the beach, a big disappointment

Lobby was always spotless and so were the wash-rooms near the lobby .

The bar was very clean, loved the cuban coffee

Pool area was spotless, so was the pool.

Snack bar was nicely decorated, the hamburgers and hotdogs were not very tasty :-(

Buffet was hit or miss, mostly miss, the food was cold and went downhill from last year, rabbit was on the buffet every day and night. Chicken only once a week, I lived off ice cream and cheese and bread Would I go again, Only if I get a super deal, I ate off the resort a few times.
You will have to do that if you stay here unless the food got better.

All in all its a good low budget hotel, clean but dated, me and my bf were only at the hotel to wash and sleep.

Room Tip: Eat a big breakfast, eat off the resort a few times. I was in room 412, a good room. Ask for it or...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank shelleyl613
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I spent two weeks at Acuazul and I had an amazing time. The hotel is clean and safe and much better than I had expected for what is rated as a two star. If you are looking for a budget holiday this is a great choice. I read lots of negative reviews and my response is...if you want a 5 star then PAY FOR A 5 STAR. The food was okay and the staff were friendly and courteous. The beach was amazing and for the price it was money well spent! If you are a demanding and obnoxious traveler go somewhere else!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the upper floors and facing the pool. The only negative is that the Bingo durin...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank Jamie T
SK Canada
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This was my 4th time to Cuba, first time at this hotel. All the basics are covered at the hotel. Yes the rooms need updating, and things are not perfect but my experience is that is how it is in Cuba. Rooms were clean. Didn't spend a lot of time in the room or in the hotel, Varadero has such beautiful beaches and so many other places to explore.

The food is not great, but we never went hungry. You could always have fruit, eggs and toast for breakfast. The snack bar has tasty ham and cheese sandwiches. We only ate at the evening buffet 2 times, food was not hot, others traveling with me didn't mind. I didn't enjoy the evening buffet mostly due to many people without manners and people budding in line. So we ate out a fair bit for supper. Bring some money to eat out a few times, it's a nice change from the buffet and there are good places to eat close to the hotel.

One of the bartenders informed me that the water in the hotel was safe to drink. He was filling up water bottles using water from the tap at the bar and said that was the same water flowing though the entire hotel, same water in the taps in our rooms. I Never got sick the entire time during the trip (which was a first for me),

The bar is open 24 hours and it is used. Bring mosquito repellant if you plan to be up late.

People on the pool side of the hotel could hear people up late. The street side is a little noisy with traffic but not as loud, and has a nice view of the ocean. Try and get a room that is on 5th or 6th floor if you can. And bring ear plugs.

Beach bar is a short block off the beach and doesn't have bathrooms.

I would stay here again, primarily for the price and location.

Room Tip: Rooms on the street side and on the 5th or 6th floor will be a little more quiet. Bring ear plugs.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank prairiegrl
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I returned to this hotel again from september 27 to october 11 and had an enjoyable time.The hotel is still basic but the location and size is perfect for me.The pool bar is now the snack food bar which has improved,more choices.hamburgers,grilled cheese and ham and hot dogs.open from 10 am to 5 pm.the snack bar was closed on the beach,due to small occupancy.I had a better time because I got to see the people from my last time and even visited with them at their homes.The pool area is well maintained and kept super clean by Rolando.The new all inclusive bar is located where the cash bar used to be in the lobby area and it is open 24 hrs a day and it serves alcohol 24 hrs also..The coffee is still the best.My room was on the 3th floor and it was kept clean and it was bug free.I am intending to return in six months.I found a small place that serves a ham and cheese pizza for 1 cuc,it is on 16th st. and 3th.I must state that the food improved from last year,smaller selection due to low guests but fresher.Always fish,meat,chicke and rabbit and seafood once a week.

Room Tip: if you want a safe ask for a pool room but if you want it to be quiiter than ask for ocean view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo