Memories Varadero Beach Resort
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Varadero
See available hotels
  • Pool
6,767 results
All reviewsactivity poolquiet poolthe cave bardiamond club conciergelarge resorta la cartesmichael jackson showjapanese restaurantstayed in buildingfishgreat resortgreat tripala cartsthe double decker buskeep in mindan open mindhot sauce
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 October 2012

My husband and I travelled to Sirenis La Salina (now Memories Varadero) in November 2011 for our 20th wedding anniversary. This was our 5th time to Cuba (4th time to Varadero). The resort is fabulous, with plenty of vegetation and lovely walking trails throughout the resort. For those who prefer not to walk, there are large golfcarts that travel throughout the resort for pick ups, but we preferred to walk off the food!! The food - well it's Cuba, but this resort's food was great, especially the Ala Cartes (we visited the Japanese, the steak house, and the italian restaurant). The buffet was also very nice, but is open air so sometimes could be a bit warm. The snack bar at the pool was great for burgers and fries and the smaller buffet at the beach was good as well, and kept you from heading all the way up to the main buffet. The bars were fabulous and the lobby bar sold a few premium beers at a very reasonable price, for those interested. Our room was right behind the activities pool where the 2-storey waterslide was always in use.

We had a great time, as well always do in Varadero. Heading back in January 2013!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SassyShe
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We stayed at Memories Varadero from Oct 11-18 and the entire trip from start to finish was amazing... This was our second time around (1st time was 3 yrs ago when it was called Sirenas La Salina) WE were a party of 8 to renew our wedding vows and we were treated like royalty... we had two special needs people along with us and the staff at Memories were so accommodating right from the minute we arrived to the time we left. The customer service has greatly improved since the ownership has changed hands. The lobby staff are always there to help with whatever it is. The trolley car drivers (especially Elpiddio) were fantastic... the manager opened the disco early for my husband so he could watch football on Sunday and even sent him a bartender to serve him beer. . The food at the buffet was more than adequate a great variety and enough to fill anyone's tastes. The a la carte restaurants were fantastic... The Japanese steak house was terrific, the Italian by far was the best.. Our room was a suite on the beach and it was terrific... a few of the others in our group were on the first floor and their rooms did smell damp however they were quickly moved to second floor rooms and the smell was gone. Our room was cleaned daily fridge was always stocked with water beer and pop. A very special thank you to Susanna our wedding planner who oversaw every detail to make our wedding day perfect!!! Thank you for the surprise horse and carriage ride!!

Room Tip: The suite we had was block 35222 and it was fantastic. Very clean and large with TWO WASHROOMS it has a walk in closet a shower AND bath tub... very large imagine waking up to ocean view every single day....
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank christine T
Reviewed 22 October 2012

This was my second visit to Memories Varadero in the last 10 month sand I really have to say that I do enjoy this resort! The people at this resort make it special to me and will keep me coming back because of it. The grounds are in good shape, the pools are kept well, the beach is amazing! The rooms are average, but just remember how much time do you actually spend in your rooms when your on vacation anyways. The food is good! for all these negative reviews saying that the food is terrible i don't see it, their is tons of selection and I found something to eat every day. The resort is huge which does involve some walking which I personally don't mind because when you are eating and drinking all week long it feels good to be able to move around a bit. I got a chance to meet a couple of the managers that were there the week we were there and I have to say they seem to be working hard to improve this resort and make changes for the better. I have been to this resort both when it was Sirenis La Salenis and now Memories Varadero and I have enjoyed it very much both times! Just remember that when visiting Cuba its much different then when going to the Dominican or Mexico. Cuba is one of my favorite places to visit and I can't wait to go back! We have met some great people at this resort that we look forward to seeing again!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank robrende
Reviewed 21 October 2012

My wife and I just returned from our 4th trip to this resort (Oct.4-11th) and again had an amazing vacation. We had been there while it was Sirenis La Salina, and saw the decline in some things as the resort was preparing to be taken over by Memories. We were pleasantly suprised at the positive changes that have been made.

First of all don't believe the negative reviews that you read. They are all written by the same type of person who would never be satisfied no matter how perfect the food or service was.

Our experience started out as usual. We arrived late at the hotel and as we strolled through the lobby towards our room we were met by staff who recognized us from previous visits and greeted us like family with hugs and kisses. This continued throughout the resort and in fact the next morning, Amaury (front desk driver), upon seeing us immediately took us and arranged to have our bracelets upgraded to VIP. We didnt ask or expect our previous visits to count with the new management, but they obviously valued our business.

The resort grounds have improved dramatically and have a dedicated group of gardeners tirelessly working to maintain and keep everything looking lush and beautiful. The lobby and dining areas have new more comfortable furniture and there was lots of maintenance work being done (painting, tile work etc) to improve the asthetic of the structures.

One of the biggest improvements we saw was the food. The new Chef has improved the menu selection and food quality miles above the previous owner. My wife who is normally not able to eat much, actually was able to fill her plate at every meal with things she liked. We loved the Cuban a la carte and of course the Japanese continues to be a favorite.

The nightly activities and shows were great. The Beach Party was amazing and shouldn't be missed. (Thank you Ray) The fire breathing dancers by the pool were pretty awesome as well.

The staff at this resort go out of their way to make you feel welcome and have a great time. The entertainment staff are fantastic Reynier, Rai and Jeny especially. Ill just say that you'll get back 10 times what you give, so treating the staff with respect and offering a smile goes a long way. I am always amazed at how many stressed out people I see on vacation.

I was getting tired of reading people complaining about the resort being so big and having to wait for shuttles. This resort holds 2000 people so even at a third capacity, that is 650 people all wanting to go to the buffet/lobby at the same time. They may have 3 or so operational shuttles that hold at most 8-10 people so you may have to wait 10 minutes if you choose to stand by the road. I timed the walk from the lobby to the beach. It was less than 9 minutes and I walk like a turtle. That short walk a few times a day is good when all you're doing is drinking, eating and lying around by the water.

Overall for the price, the quality of this resort leaves no room for complaints. We will continue to return again and again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Ryan B
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Sirenas la Salinas vs Memories Varedero
My husband and I absolutely love Cuba – month of the year, price – it doesn’t matter – we are going. We visited Sirenas la Salinas in Dec/11 and now Memories Varedero in Oct/12. Reading recent negative reviews on Tripadvisor made us think - how bad could resort change within past 10 months since our last visit? Ownership changed, yes, but I have to say “Praise to share” to new owners. Resort had improved and, of course, some details are left to be taken care of. It takes time, obviously negative review writers don’t keep that in mind.
Reception: I was glad to see that we had to check in/out at actual main reception in the lobby. Last time we were sent to the side door, which I found very weird and inconvenient. Ladies at reception were very polite, knowledgeable and competent. Any time we had any question – we received immediate helpful answer. Thanks for that – great service!
Lobby: New chairs gave new upgraded look to main lobby, even though I felt very comfortable in old & wide ones. We were happy to see the piano moved to the back and it was nice to see new talented musician. She is a “keeper”. Lobby was always clean, taken care of – bartenders and cleaners are doing great job on daily basis. Too bad cleaning ladies are not being noticed and appreciated as much as they deserve.
I just hope management is going to take better care of cleaning supplies. Cleaning cloths that is used by employees is so old, aged and dirty; it’s pity to look at it when they clean tables and floors with it. Those cloths are just falling apart.
Bars: Lobby bar is one of the busiest and we are glad that from now on it’s “24 hours bar”. Should be like that from the beginning. Also I’m glad there are no smokers inside of the lobby. After having cancer surgery I can’t smell this smoke plus it’s not healthy for kids that are always around. Great change !!
• Lobby bar El Cabildo - was always clean, bartenders take orders right away, we never waited for more than 2-3 minutes. Great cappuccino! Too bad Cuba is famous for Mojito and within a week of our stay we were lucky to have it twice. Maybe this lack of mint situation can be adjusted somehow?!
• Bar at Ranchon de Playa (Puerto Carena) – was one of the best with higher range of specific drinks. Both bartenders – Yaniris & Diosuany are amazing. Presentation of the drink, quality of that drink and hostility of the bartenders do deserve special thanks. And….. it was the only place we could get our Mojito. Yaniris & Diosuany - it was great pleasure meeting you and being served by you both. Great Job !
• Quiet pool bar - Xavier & Boris are spectacular. Caring, funny & know how to do great drink for any occasion.
• Cave bar – well, that’s where the party starts. Cecilio & his young partner they know how to keep the crowd happy. Great atmosphere, very entertaining bartenders, super drinks – what else do you need on vacation?! Huge thanks to both of them
Lobby washrooms: I saw some negative reviews where people where complaining about dirty or not working washrooms. I saw it once and it was fixed same day. So it’s not an issue. If toilet paper is missing – toilet beside it always would have some paper. I understand not too many people using common sense in our days, but it’s a great benefit to have. Washrooms were always cleaned and nicely decorated. Don’t listen to whining people – they are just not happy in life and spread only negative opinion.
Fountains: I love the fountains around the resort – great touch, but I would love to see the main one by theater working again. I really enjoyed sitting by it in Dec/11, and I was missing it this time.
Pools: Cleaners are doing great job with pool maintenance. I also noticed someone mentioned in reviews that pools were dirty. Well, …..that person definitely had too much to drink and couldn’t wake up early enough to see cleaners every single morning in the pool. Pools were cleaned and vacuumed daily. If people that swim and drink in it don’t clean up after themselves during the day, that’s what causes mess around, then cleaners can’t sit on duty 24/7 watching every tourist leaving garbage behind.
Beside cleaners, I saw life guard and bartenders walking around and picking up glasses, garbage etc all the time & all day long.
Gardens: Gardens are well maintained – clean grounds, nicely cut bushes, some lamps are broken but again – its tourists are being pigs breaking them all when getting back to room in drunk condition. Nothing can be done by employees. Gardens are amazing
Buffet: Buffet had improved soooooooooo much since Dec/11 – what a difference! Food is amazing – breakfasts are full of variety – breads, eggs, salami, cheeses, yogurts, smoked salmon, veggies, and fried croquets, fruits, fresh milk shakes - up to your choice. Evenings – prosciutto cotto & crudo, grilled veggies, grilled fresh fish, crabs, etc. When I read people are saying food is bad – I better say nothing because I might seriously offend a writer. People that are coming from Canada and other countries are so used to chicken that is raised on antibiotics, yogurts that are full of starch, colours and other ingredients that you can’t even read. Tourists don’t see a difference of good quality products – this is so sad. Enjoy Cuban milk, butter, meat, fish that is not raised in fish farms with fake food, it’s actually coming from the ocean. Someone complained about flies and birds in here. Well this place is having open concept – can you beat the nature? Good luck if you think you can. Negative people and their negative reviews do upset me way too much.
Thanks to Tammy at buffet – the most caring, well educated & mannered waitress we have ever met. She is one of the best hard working people that deserves big Thanks
À la carte restaurants: I’m not going to be a liar here – all al a carte restaurant were much better when we came last time in Dec/11. We visited Mexican, Cuban, Italian, Seafood, and Japanese - all great & testy. In Italian restaurant this time we had to wait like 10 min at the door & no one paid attention to us. Waitresses could let us sit down, pass the menus and go do what you have to do for 10 min. Meal was better last time as well, wasn’t the same. Japanese restaurant run off some food and I noticed some people were complaining about it as well. It shouldn’t happen –once it’s ok, everyday and every time – it is a bit of mis-advertising.
Theater/shows: Shows are always fun and relaxing endings for the evening
Dance Club: I went there once – too loud and hot, a/c isn’t doing what it should. Beach party was actually fun.
Rooms: I love the rooms, very spacious - nice furniture. The only things need to be done – mattresses are very uncomfortable and old, some major maintenance need to be provided in washrooms and please take those extra beds out of the rooms. Rooms look like a hospital now.
Better to have empty spot in the room than this overcrowded furniture collection. Keep one extra bed somewhere in storage on the floor and roll into the room upon request.
Rooms were always cleaned up nicely; fridge was restocked daily, fresh towels daily – no complaints.
Gym & sauna: Very nice big gym with working equipment, sauna is great touch and I was a regular visitor. I hope Jacuzzi will be back to action soon as well.
Beach: Beach is always nice. I love white sand; ocean is crystal clear except on windy days. Daily in the morning tractor cleans weeds - beach is perfect. Lots of activities and fun. I do miss seller stands though with all their cloths, wooden statues, etc
Tours: Tours are always fun – we really enjoyed catamaran, dance & lunch at Playa Blanca – very beautiful white beach. We enjoyed Havana tour with Tropicana show, dolphins are such smart creatures and of course hop on hop off bus for $5 CUC day pass.
Special thanks: To all management for trying to improve this place. People like Tammy, Cecilio, Boris and Xavier make our vacations special.
We will come back again…very soon

Room Tip: BLDG #35,34,33 are located closer to the ocean
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family