“Bad memories"”

Ranked #32 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
miami
“Bad memories"”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stay at this resort on August. Except for the beach this place is way too far from being a 4 start hotel. Remember, cuba is "special" and things are not the way they seem to be.

Pro: The beach, frank at the restaurant and Joel ..wich was the only employee who greet us every time we see him.

Neg : I read a lot of bad reviews about the food, but you have to give the benefit of the doubt. Wich I did...but some other people were right....food was terrible, bad all the way, employees handling food with no gloves. Example, cheese and jam. I saw a few times scratching their heads or the arms while they were preparing food. The food elaboration was wrong all the way, presentation was terrible and it was tasteless. I'm a guy and I'm not complicated about food...but believe me it taste and it seems Bad. There is a moment that I feel that the staff they have are not well prepared and in top of that they have this attitude wich you will only will find in cuba...I don't if I'm wrong but..it's just not the best.

Housekeeping was smoking at the halls while they were cleaning the rooms..there was 2 of them chatting and smoking in front of the guest, them the linen person arrives light a cigarette with them. No greeting whatsoever at any time

All over the property there was missing light bulbs, both pool where with mold between the tiles and it was a lot of sand in them another thing this a big property, and the golf carts it may take a while to pass by and this guys drive too fast and careless.

I guess this resort it's for young kids or for people with just a little travel experience. Us, we are never comeback and this is NOT a 4 start resort.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank rikymiami
vlanzarotti, General Manager at Memories Varadero Beach Resort, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay. We apologize for those issues that upset you during your stay. We value your feedback and all of the staff will work hard to improve our service and quality. We hope you to give us a new chance for you to appreciate our efforts.

Director General I General manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,605)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I travelled from July 4th to 11. I am a little late writing the review but it was such a great experience that I wanted to make sure I share it.

My flight was early therefore I arrived at the hotel around noon, the lady at the front desk was very helpful and explained to me where I could find money exchange, where the a la carte restaurants were and I was then taken to my room. I was in Building 39 next to the theatre/ disco. If you don't mind the noise in the evening I would say this is a good building since it's next to the entertainment pool, half way to the lobby and half way to the beach. When I go back I will definitely request this room again.

The room: It was very clean and spacious, everyday the maid (Helene or Helena) did a great job, I had fresh towels, enough water and toilet paper, the bed was always nicely made. The air conditioning worked great, definitely no complaints.

The food: The Cuban a la carte is a must try, it was great. I was shocked since everyone told me the food wouldn't be good. Of course not everything was, especially in the buffet, but I always found something I liked. The Mexican and Japanese a la carte were also delicious. For breakfast I had eggs every morning, they served breakfast at the main buffet near the lobby and also at the buffet near the beach starting 8am everyday. I mostly went there since it was so nice and breezy and made my way to the beach afterwards.

The staff: The front desk staff were always polite to me and helpful when I had questions. The entertainment staff made my trip so memorable, you can tell they work so hard and they usually remember you after seeing you once, they come by to see how you are doing and invite you to participate in the activities they organize.

The beach/pools: The pools are well kept, the quiet pool is really nice for families and the entertainment pool is a lot of fun, I would not go on that side if you are looking to relax only has they have activities all afternoon. The beach was also well kept and it was easy to find chairs but that could be because July is not their busiest time.
The entertainment: There was always activities at the beach/ pool, games, water aerobics, dance lessons, competitions, they were all very fun and entertaining to watch or participate in. At night there was always a different show at the theater and then the theater became the disco. It was during world cup so I am not sure if usually the bar they had for the world cup is usually the disco but having it at the theater was perfect. The entertainment staff would be at the disco after the show to get everyone dancing and it was tons of fun.

The overall resort is well kept and clean, the facilities in the lobby and restaurant were clean. You can buy an internet card for 5 pesos if you need to use their internet café and it's good for one hour of internet, I think I used a total of 15 minutes so I gave my card to someone before leaving. They also have wifi but I didn't use it since I just wanted to send a quick note home to update everyone once in a while.

The Sunwing rep office was very helpful if you had questions, that is also where you can book your a la carte reservations. They also had two Sunwing reps in the main lobby if you needed any information.

I didn't know what to expect but travelling solo to this resort was not what I expected, I was certain that because it was so big I wouldn't see the same people or it would be harder to meet people and it was not the case at all. I met so many people and rarely spent anytime alone. There were quite a few other solo travelers during my time there.

I am probably forgetting something, but I definitely recommend it for families, couples, and solo travelers.

Room Tip: I would say building 40 or 39 if you want to be centrally situated. I made friends who stayed in bui...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Debr1986
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing Memories Varadero for your stay in Cuba, and also thanks for sharing your opinion. We are safisfied that you had a nice time in our resort and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Hello all,This was my 5th time at this amazing hotel. July 6th -July 20th. Once again they reminded me why my family and I keep going back .I would like to thank everyone for making my wife's 40th birthday amazing and our 10 year wedding anniversary one to remember. I would like to thank, Boris at the quiet pool you're amazing, Daline Italian restaurant we love you're a sweet heart. Our friends from the front desk and Yoli from Diamond Club. Thank you. And to the amazing management team you guys are on the ball always looking out for your guests. Amrio (I hope I spelt it right) you, my friend are the best helping us with our room and any other little thing we needed. Till next year my friends I know the 6th time is a charm.

Room Tip: Near the beach
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Behavin
Dear client,

Thank you very much for choosing Memories Varadero for your stay in Cuba. We are really satisfied that you enjoyed your holidays, and we hope to welcome you the 6th time. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I went with my family in June and we really had a good time in this hotel.
One of the best things is the food, the chef is one of the best in the world. The beach in Cuba are so beautiful and the water was very clean. There was a lots of activities to do with your family in the hotel also the kids had a really good time there. The staff in the hotel was very helpful and polite, so we didn´t have any problem with the service. The room was very bright and big but the best thing in the room was the bed, it was very confortable.

We come back in 2015 definitely. Great memories :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This was my third trip to Cuba ( twice to Varadero and once to Cayo Coco ) and by far unparalleled in terms of the best non-stop entertainment!! The high energy staff begin early during the day with poolside activities readily engaging the tourists who are all too keen to participate ( ie. water polo, pool volleyball, acquatic aerobics/workout, funny social, playful competitive games for those good sports who are willing to entertain us ( thanks to the French Canadian population ). Whether you spend your day at the beach or at one of their generous-sized pools ( a quiet one and the hopping, social one ) or splitting your time at both, you'll eventually get hungry ( many restaurants and snack bars with steady supply of food ). For dinner, you can either eat at the a la carte restaurants offering Italian, French, Cuban, Mexican, Japanese ) or the main buffet restaurant. Once your finished eating, you can enjoy some wonderful classics in the main lobby where a pianist and string band play, while enjoying a few drinks. Afterwards, you walk over to el Teatro for a nightly performance of quality dancers. One night we saw a Cuban performance, another night a terrific rendition of Michael Jackson with striking costumes and dance moves and yet another evening with an aquatic ballet with phenomenal costumes! Then once the performance is over, you can walk out of el Teatro to what I like to call la piazza, a live band performs and there are always enthusiasts who join the entertainment team dancing away. And yes, the party then continues into the disco for those who like to go go go. You don't have to attend, but there is so much to choose from. As for the breakfast food, you can have your special made to order omelette, pancakes, sausages, tons of fruit and juices. Wide variety selection for lunch and dinner as well. The beaches in Cuba are amazing!! The pristine waters stretch for miles and you can talk strolls along the sandy beaches. The resort offers included in the price use of kayaks, peddle boats and my personal favourites, the catamaran ride ( aka hobby cat ). The staff is always so cheerful, accommodating and ensures that your satisfied. Upon arrival late at night, when an issue arose with our room, the gentleman at reception ensured that I was satisfied and offered me another one upon my request. The staff is to be commended on being effective and efficient. How anyone can work in that heat ( summer is verrrry hot!!! ....you perspire while just standing there), is beyond me!...and they do it with a smile! Great value and fun for your money!! I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Choose a room halfway between the beach and the reception. I initially was concerned about the walk...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Bella B
Dear Bella,

Thank you for choosing Memories Varadero for your holidays in Cuba, and also thanks for sharing your opinion. We are glad you are satisfied with your stay in our resort. We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Toilets did not work poor attitude to get them fixed had to fix myself first time we travelled it was great fridge had beer in it this time no beer hard time getting food.was substandard but all and all great entertainment. Theater should be updated gym room smelled foul dance hall was a hallway. Not recommended till improvements are made.Chairs were falling apart overprised for what it was the currency person was not hospitible plus the customer personel in the retail stores in the resort were not very friendly

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank bigbearclown
Dear client,

Thanks for choosing our resort for your stay in Varadero. We are so sorry if something at your holidays was not as you expected. We hope you to give us a new chance to prove our effort and improvement.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Wow what an experience. July 26th to Aug 9th, 2014.
Spend the extra money and upgrade to a better resort

I've been to Cuba including this time a total of 3 times. So I know not set my expectations too high regarding the food, service, facilities, etc... but I do expect the basics.

When I was searching for a vacation I researched on my own as well as going to flight centre. My original choice was Samana in the Dominican for me and my family. Unfortunately when I went to flight centre at Square One, I was told that my travel date only had 2 vacant seats and I needed 5. So as a backup with some convincing from my wife and the travel agent we decided on finding something in Veradero.
We've stayed at Riu resorts in the past and had a great time. Naturally the Riu in Veradero was going to be a quick decision. But when we were about to confirm the details, one of the other agents interrupted and let us know that it would be a big mistake at this time because they've received some really poor feedback recently. Grateful for her input we quickly changed it to her suggestion of Memories Veradero. Because I only have vacations to enjoy my family and a crap resort is the last thing I want to deal with. Her input was a massive influence.

So we decided on the Memories Veradero and upgrade to the Diamond Club

Positive

Great beach
Great shows. The dancers are like the final 5 of so you think you can dance.

Negatives

9 years old
Owned by Sunwing since 2011
Recommended by Flight Centre
No maintenance.
Most of the outdoor showers inoperable
Ran out of food during our first week
No table attendants (only when you're about to leave Cuba. Looking for tips)
Diamond Club alcohol ran out and not replaced
Butler service was only attentive after a couple of days and a big tip
Sliding doors broken
Most toilets don't flush
Television might work
Public toilets dimly lighted, ran out of toilet paper and no paper towels for your hands.
Main pool filthy. Don't bring goggles to the pool because if you do, you'll hurl.
Poor quality of guests. (rude, will fight for food)
Second room the hairdryer would blow it's fuse in 1.5 minutes. 5 minutes to turn back on.
Diamond Club dining room. Unbearable Musty smell. 1 attendant that doesn't attend to the guests.
Finding cutlery can be a challenge. Bring your own
If the ceiling fans in the main dining room are not spinning. Don't look up. Chunks of stuff hanging from them just waiting to land on your plate.
etc...

The Diamond Club has a long list of benefits that you would think could balance out any potential problems.

Not so.

Wherever it states, based on availability. IT WON'T BE AVAILABLE
-arrived 10:30 am
got our room at 3:45 pm
-requested no ground floor
got the ground floor
-requested joining rooms
got separate rooms
-requested 2 double beds in one room and king bed with a single in the second room
got 2 doubles and a single in one room and 1 king in the second

I dealt with these things fairly well, knowing that nothings perfect and it could be fixed. But when we entered the rooms, WOW what a stench. They call it musty, I call it unbearably reeking of mold and I have a lot of experience in recognizing the difference in my line of work.

Tired after 2 hours of sleep, traveling and desperately needing to get things taken care of. I went to the Diamond Club Concierge Leo. He was kind enough to explain to me that I was provided exactly what my contract stated and they have done their part. At no time did he listen to the whole story. He spent all his time addressing the fact that requests are not a contractual obligation. I can't count how many times I tried to explain to him that the requests weren't individually why I was upset, rather the parts of a greater whole with the smell being the last straw.
He's great at avoiding the pattern of issues completely ignoring the smell.
He really made me feel like I was a problem that he needed to get rid of as quickly as possible and that I was trying to get something for nothing.
Here's a great quote
Sir, Memories Cayo Coco is a 5 star and this is a 4 star. If you wanted a 5 star, maybe that's what you should have booked.

Thanks to Yisel, Barbarita and Noela. Our vacation made a complete turn for the better.
These 3 women were my 3 angles. They were kind, empathetic, patient, understanding and true professionals.
We were provided with the best of what they could provide, but my praise is for how they were able to defuse an uncomfortable situation for all involved. They had appreciated the imperfect situation and did what they could to fix it.

From the start of my complaint. All I wanted was for someone to make an effort and in the end it was the effort that made me happy.

If you decide that you want to take your chances and book this resort.
Specify every detail in your contract and have your lawyer review it first. Otherwise someone might say, toilets are not in your contract. LOL.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank milan b
vlanzarotti, General Manager at Memories Varadero Beach Resort, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thanks for chosing our resort for your holidays. We are sorry that you have not enjoyed your stay. We value your comments, they help us to improve our service. We work hard to solve some of the problems you have written. Hope to see you soon here for you to assess our improve.

Director General I General manager

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels