“Memories Varadero Aug. 5-12, 2014”

Memories Varadero Beach Resort
Ranked #32 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Memories is a 4 star property for Cuba. We were Diamond Club and enjoyed the perks that came with it. Our room was very nice and clean. My only complaint is that the lights in the bathroom over the sink were out and it was difficult to see and the t.v. was fuzzy. I repeatedly asked them to fix the problems, but they were never done. The property was gorgeous! However, it is very large. We had a room close to the beach and an oceanfront view. Although, the walk to the lobby was about 7 minutes in 38 degree weather. The trans took forever and were too few for such a large property that accommodates 2000 people. The entire staff were wonderful, especially Leo at the Diamond club desk. He arranged for us to have a private taxi take us into town to see Al Capones house, shopping and a lobster dinner at a local restaurant. We also did two other excursions. We went to Havana and the absolute best excursion I've ever been on was the Jeep Safari. Highly recommended. For $73 you drive your own jeep, go snorkeling in the coral reef, swim in the cave (priceless), visit a ranch and have freshly squeezed sugar can juice and so much more, eat at a ranch, ride horses and finally drive your own speed boat all in one day...amazing! As for the food on the property, we were very lucky to have 4 private dinners. The Japanese is a must. The Mexican is good as was the French. I would stay away from the Memories dinner. Breakfast was good. Many people complained about the buffet, but we only went once. Also, keep in mind that many things can be paid for in Canadian dollars which is better than the exchange. It is a wonderful place, just a little too large for me.

Room Tip: I would book oceanfront sunset view and try to get building 35.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank elteach68
vlanzarotti, General Manager at Memories Varadero Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear guest,

Thanks your choosing Memories Varadero and thanks also for your comments. We are satisfied that you had a nice time in our resort and you enjoyed your holidays. We will be pleased to receive you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Memories Varadero Beach Resort

Reviewed 14 August 2014

my family and I made 2 trips to cuba in the last 7 months I stayed at memories veradaro both times.the diamond club at this hotel was well worth it.the manager of diamond club leodanys and his staff were exceptional.we weretreated like old friends from check in to check out..first from the diamond check in {not in the long line of people off the plane.to the special dining room a/c and friendly people and the name brand liquor for diamond club only at the bars.special beach area with drink waiters.we would never plan this trip without it .the dditional specialty restaurants were superb especially the Japanise .and diamond club welcome dinner by the pool.

Room Tip: let the diamond club up date your choice of room for you we liked unit 27 because I don't walk w...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jack m

Dear Jack,

Thank you for choosing Memories Varadero for your stay at Cuba for second time. We are really satisfied that you enjoyed your holidays at our resort. Thank you very much for sharing your opinion. We hope to welcome you at your third trip soon.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stay at this resort on August. Except for the beach this place is way too far from being a 4 start hotel. Remember, cuba is "special" and things are not the way they seem to be.

Pro: The beach, frank at the restaurant and Joel ..wich was the only employee who greet us every time we see him.

Neg : I read a lot of bad reviews about the food, but you have to give the benefit of the doubt. Wich I did...but some other people were right....food was terrible, bad all the way, employees handling food with no gloves. Example, cheese and jam. I saw a few times scratching their heads or the arms while they were preparing food. The food elaboration was wrong all the way, presentation was terrible and it was tasteless. I'm a guy and I'm not complicated about food...but believe me it taste and it seems Bad. There is a moment that I feel that the staff they have are not well prepared and in top of that they have this attitude wich you will only will find in cuba...I don't if I'm wrong but..it's just not the best.

Housekeeping was smoking at the halls while they were cleaning the rooms..there was 2 of them chatting and smoking in front of the guest, them the linen person arrives light a cigarette with them. No greeting whatsoever at any time

All over the property there was missing light bulbs, both pool where with mold between the tiles and it was a lot of sand in them another thing this a big property, and the golf carts it may take a while to pass by and this guys drive too fast and careless.

I guess this resort it's for young kids or for people with just a little travel experience. Us, we are never comeback and this is NOT a 4 start resort.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank rikymiami
vlanzarotti, General Manager at Memories Varadero Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay. We apologize for those issues that upset you during your stay. We value your feedback and all of the staff will work hard to improve our service and quality. We hope you to give us a new chance for you to appreciate our efforts.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I travelled from July 4th to 11. I am a little late writing the review but it was such a great experience that I wanted to make sure I share it.

My flight was early therefore I arrived at the hotel around noon, the lady at the front desk was very helpful and explained to me where I could find money exchange, where the a la carte restaurants were and I was then taken to my room. I was in Building 39 next to the theatre/ disco. If you don't mind the noise in the evening I would say this is a good building since it's next to the entertainment pool, half way to the lobby and half way to the beach. When I go back I will definitely request this room again.

The room: It was very clean and spacious, everyday the maid (Helene or Helena) did a great job, I had fresh towels, enough water and toilet paper, the bed was always nicely made. The air conditioning worked great, definitely no complaints.

The food: The Cuban a la carte is a must try, it was great. I was shocked since everyone told me the food wouldn't be good. Of course not everything was, especially in the buffet, but I always found something I liked. The Mexican and Japanese a la carte were also delicious. For breakfast I had eggs every morning, they served breakfast at the main buffet near the lobby and also at the buffet near the beach starting 8am everyday. I mostly went there since it was so nice and breezy and made my way to the beach afterwards.

The staff: The front desk staff were always polite to me and helpful when I had questions. The entertainment staff made my trip so memorable, you can tell they work so hard and they usually remember you after seeing you once, they come by to see how you are doing and invite you to participate in the activities they organize.

The beach/pools: The pools are well kept, the quiet pool is really nice for families and the entertainment pool is a lot of fun, I would not go on that side if you are looking to relax only has they have activities all afternoon. The beach was also well kept and it was easy to find chairs but that could be because July is not their busiest time.
The entertainment: There was always activities at the beach/ pool, games, water aerobics, dance lessons, competitions, they were all very fun and entertaining to watch or participate in. At night there was always a different show at the theater and then the theater became the disco. It was during world cup so I am not sure if usually the bar they had for the world cup is usually the disco but having it at the theater was perfect. The entertainment staff would be at the disco after the show to get everyone dancing and it was tons of fun.

The overall resort is well kept and clean, the facilities in the lobby and restaurant were clean. You can buy an internet card for 5 pesos if you need to use their internet café and it's good for one hour of internet, I think I used a total of 15 minutes so I gave my card to someone before leaving. They also have wifi but I didn't use it since I just wanted to send a quick note home to update everyone once in a while.

The Sunwing rep office was very helpful if you had questions, that is also where you can book your a la carte reservations. They also had two Sunwing reps in the main lobby if you needed any information.

I didn't know what to expect but travelling solo to this resort was not what I expected, I was certain that because it was so big I wouldn't see the same people or it would be harder to meet people and it was not the case at all. I met so many people and rarely spent anytime alone. There were quite a few other solo travelers during my time there.

I am probably forgetting something, but I definitely recommend it for families, couples, and solo travelers.

Room Tip: I would say building 40 or 39 if you want to be centrally situated. I made friends who stayed in bui...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Debr1986

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing Memories Varadero for your stay in Cuba, and also thanks for sharing your opinion. We are safisfied that you had a nice time in our resort and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Hello all,This was my 5th time at this amazing hotel. July 6th -July 20th. Once again they reminded me why my family and I keep going back .I would like to thank everyone for making my wife's 40th birthday amazing and our 10 year wedding anniversary one to remember. I would like to thank, Boris at the quiet pool you're amazing, Daline Italian restaurant we love you're a sweet heart. Our friends from the front desk and Yoli from Diamond Club. Thank you. And to the amazing management team you guys are on the ball always looking out for your guests. Amrio (I hope I spelt it right) you, my friend are the best helping us with our room and any other little thing we needed. Till next year my friends I know the 6th time is a charm.

Room Tip: Near the beach
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Behavin

Dear client,

Thank you very much for choosing Memories Varadero for your stay in Cuba. We are really satisfied that you enjoyed your holidays, and we hope to welcome you the 6th time. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I went with my family in June and we really had a good time in this hotel.
One of the best things is the food, the chef is one of the best in the world. The beach in Cuba are so beautiful and the water was very clean. There was a lots of activities to do with your family in the hotel also the kids had a really good time there. The staff in the hotel was very helpful and polite, so we didn´t have any problem with the service. The room was very bright and big but the best thing in the room was the bed, it was very confortable.

We come back in 2015 definitely. Great memories :)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This was my third trip to Cuba ( twice to Varadero and once to Cayo Coco ) and by far unparalleled in terms of the best non-stop entertainment!! The high energy staff begin early during the day with poolside activities readily engaging the tourists who are all too keen to participate ( ie. water polo, pool volleyball, acquatic aerobics/workout, funny social, playful competitive games for those good sports who are willing to entertain us ( thanks to the French Canadian population ). Whether you spend your day at the beach or at one of their generous-sized pools ( a quiet one and the hopping, social one ) or splitting your time at both, you'll eventually get hungry ( many restaurants and snack bars with steady supply of food ). For dinner, you can either eat at the a la carte restaurants offering Italian, French, Cuban, Mexican, Japanese ) or the main buffet restaurant. Once your finished eating, you can enjoy some wonderful classics in the main lobby where a pianist and string band play, while enjoying a few drinks. Afterwards, you walk over to el Teatro for a nightly performance of quality dancers. One night we saw a Cuban performance, another night a terrific rendition of Michael Jackson with striking costumes and dance moves and yet another evening with an aquatic ballet with phenomenal costumes! Then once the performance is over, you can walk out of el Teatro to what I like to call la piazza, a live band performs and there are always enthusiasts who join the entertainment team dancing away. And yes, the party then continues into the disco for those who like to go go go. You don't have to attend, but there is so much to choose from. As for the breakfast food, you can have your special made to order omelette, pancakes, sausages, tons of fruit and juices. Wide variety selection for lunch and dinner as well. The beaches in Cuba are amazing!! The pristine waters stretch for miles and you can talk strolls along the sandy beaches. The resort offers included in the price use of kayaks, peddle boats and my personal favourites, the catamaran ride ( aka hobby cat ). The staff is always so cheerful, accommodating and ensures that your satisfied. Upon arrival late at night, when an issue arose with our room, the gentleman at reception ensured that I was satisfied and offered me another one upon my request. The staff is to be commended on being effective and efficient. How anyone can work in that heat ( summer is verrrry hot!!! ....you perspire while just standing there), is beyond me!...and they do it with a smile! Great value and fun for your money!! I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Choose a room halfway between the beach and the reception. I initially was concerned about the walk...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Bella B

Dear Bella,

Thank you for choosing Memories Varadero for your holidays in Cuba, and also thanks for sharing your opinion. We are glad you are satisfied with your stay in our resort. We hope to welcome you again soon.