“Diamond Club is a MUST for the bit extra! Thank you Leodanis!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Memories Varadero Beach Resort
Ranked #32 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Travelled July 28 - Aug 4th 2014. Leodanis from the Diamond Club is great and really helped make our trip that much better! Anything you need or questions you have seek him out. He truly does care about making your vacation better! Diamond club is a must for the little extra!
Food was better than I expected given previous Cuban experiences. No matter where you go in Cuba people will always complain about the food. I brought tons of heinz ketchup packages, italiano shake and a few other small spices. Truth be told I didn't use them so I believe that says a lot!
The resort is big so be ready to walk but thats not always a bad thing either.
We spent a lot of time at the sports bar in the evenings as it is central to everything, the AC blasts and they serve canned beer! Also for Diamond Club people, we ate lunch almost every day at the Italian restaurant as the food there was simply great!

Overall had a nice relaxing week of R&R.

Once again Diamond Club is a must for the little extra peso!

Room Tip: Building 29 - 32 (sunrise view) are best locations for all without a doubt!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Petey P
vlanzarotti, General Manager at Memories Varadero Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Petey,

Thank you for choosing Memories Varadero for your stay in Cuba, and thanks also for sharing your experience. We are satisfied that you have had a nice holidays at our resort, and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Director General I General manager

Write a ReviewReviews (6,437)

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I just read reviews from a few other people who were here around the same time.We were at Memories from Aug 6 to the 13th.We certainly had different experiences.This was my first time in Cuba and I went not expecting to much.I am a big traveler and have been to many places in the world,my favorite being Hawaii.That beening said I enjoyed my week at Memories.I think a lot has to do with your attitude.I found the majority of staff were amazing,especially Jennie at the beach bar on the diamond side.She was absolutely amazing and we miss her smile.The room is not five star but was very clean and large .Yes the TV was no good but I do not go to watch TV.Why would you go on vacation to watch TV!As far as the food goes it was better than I expected.Everyone knows the food is not good here and the buffet was pretty good and the a la cartes were amazing,especially the Cuban and Japponese.The drinks were great and if you just tip 1 or 2 pesoses the service is also great.Overall I enjoyed Memories and would recommend it to others.Just keep an open mind and if you are friendly and respectful you will get the same in return.We also were in the diamond club, which costs only a little more ,but can make your trip a little better.Thanks also to Leo who was in charge of diamond club and was always checking with everyone on how things were.And the beach is amazing!!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank happycoupletoronto

Dear guest,

Thanks for choosing Memories Varadero for your stay in Cuba. We are glad that you have had a nice holidays at our resort and our employees made you feel at home. We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

This is a big resort, so if you do not like to walk much then go elsewhere, other then that it is a clean and fun resort. 2 big pools with swim up bars (top pool is the quiet pool, pool closer to beach is the activity pool). Lots of options for food near the beach and throughout the resort. Food is decent (if your expecting 5* dinning then don't go to Cuba LOL). The staff where extremely friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Pay for the Sunrise rooms (puts you closer to the beach)
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mathew R
vlanzarotti, General Manager at Memories Varadero Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear Mathew,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your stay in Varadero, and thanks for sharing your opinion. We hope you have had a nice time with us and it will be a please to welcome you soon.

Aug-7 to Aug 14
Maintenance bad, Food Bad, Service at Restaurant bad, bad attitude for service everywhere. Main Pool dirty, mould between tiles, showers does not work, broken one side work the other doesn't. TV fuzzy only music can be heard. lights in bathrooms does not work, after second day of continues calling they came to put a bulb in the hall and a table lamp was supplied. if you want drinks after certain hours of operation at entertainment place,No glasses to serve drinks, bring your own if you want drinks. two days in a row same history. at beach Catamaran included, and some Kayaks included. Booked all day and no room for new booking, unless you are willing to pay 20 cuc per person they can take you to the reef coral to see the fishes. then yes booking available.

I have Been Few times in Cuba this the worst experience.

Beach excellent, Sun Excellent. outside the resort people lovely

There are others Resorts with better attitude.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Rolando L

Dear Rolando,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your stay in Cuba, and thank you also for your opinion, it help us to improve our service and quality. We are so sorry if your stay was not as you expected and wee hope you could give us a new chance for you to appreciate our improvement,

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I travelled to Cuba and stayed at Memories Aug 5-12. Before hand I had already researched the place and about Cuba, and how minimum you should stay at a 4-star and the food sucks in Cuba. After staying at this place, minimum should be 5 stars. Here's my experience breaking it down to different aspects.

The room: the sheets weren't clean properly, it was changed daily, but it's either yellow, stained, or there's hair (not ours). They provide an extra wool cover in case you want AC but don't use it! It caused my girlfriend's skin to rash, it looks old and dirty, but because it was too hot without AC, we had to use it, and laid it on top of the bedsheets. Still doesn't help. The bed and pillows has a faint musty smell, understandable since it's humid but didn't expect a 4-star resort not to use fresh linen. TV is the oldest ever, just stick to channel 32 for HBO or just go to the beach.

The food: Disgusting. Either it was no flavour or it was really salty. All the meat is way over cooked to a point where I'm chewing rubber, vegetables are soggy. Nothing is cold at the salad bar or the fruits. Cheese doesn't taste like cheese. I can drone on about the food, but put simply, I had no appetite. Only thing I ate was bread, croissants and hot dogs. Tip, just make a BLT sandwich with what they have, fills you up, half decent. Hot dog is do-able. Note that once the sun sets, mosquitoes are rampant at the buffet, definitely have to use bug spray. Sat there for 15 minutes and had more than 9 bites. Learned my lesson. Also, never order tea. Just don't.

The pool: Looks amazing. definitely has a 4-star look to it. They even have a big slide for you to go on, definitely fun. There's also a water volleyball net set up at the activity pool. The pool activities are very enjoyable as well. 1 thing is that I know Cuba is really hot, I wish the filtration system was better so that the temperature of the water can be just 2-3 degrees lower. The water was so warm it was cooler to stay out of the water.

Beach: The beach in Varadero definitely one of the most beautiful beaches I've been to. Clear blue water and sand, nothing to complain. There were more than enough beach chairs to go around, no fighting for spots usually. There's a wide variety of entertainment there like beach volleyball, group games, kayaking, etc. Definitely the highlight of the resort.

Service: Service is ok, really varies between the workers there. All of them are really nice with big smiles, nothing to complain about. They understood English really well and communication is not an issue. You will always have some that aren't that nice and doesn't really care about their job, but none were mean or ignore our requests.

Entertainment: the nightly entertainment group is amazing. From the water show at the activity pool to the Michael Jackson show or the Cuban dance in the theatre, all of them were fantastic, mesmerizing to watch. They were amazing in all the dances and something I look forward to every night. I didn't get to go to most of the daytime events, but water polo was fun, same with the dancing in the pool. The disco club at the theatre though is definitely not as exciting as it can be.

Other: The one thing that was really annoying were the carts. I understood that the resort is really big and quite a distance from one end to one end so obviously they deliver supplies to different places with golf cart thingy. They also have carts to carry I believe only the Diamond club members. The problem was that they drive on the same path that everyone walks, and the path just fits 1 cart. As it goes through, it forces everyone off the path. And there is always carts on the path. It was just really annoying and I hope they can create like a back path that allows them to travel on a different path around the sides.

Overall experience in Memories Varadero is definitely not the best one. I can say I won't be booking this place again. From going on excursions and meeting people from the other resorts, the 5-star ones at least has good food (according to them, not firsthand experience).

Room Tip: None of the rooms have a beach view as they are surrounded by palm trees. Get a room closer to the l...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Dougie182

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your stay, and also thank you for comments. We value your opinion and it help us to improve our service and quality. We work hard to become the best and we hope to welcome you again soon for you to appreciate our efforts and improvement.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Memories is a 4 star property for Cuba. We were Diamond Club and enjoyed the perks that came with it. Our room was very nice and clean. My only complaint is that the lights in the bathroom over the sink were out and it was difficult to see and the t.v. was fuzzy. I repeatedly asked them to fix the problems, but they were never done. The property was gorgeous! However, it is very large. We had a room close to the beach and an oceanfront view. Although, the walk to the lobby was about 7 minutes in 38 degree weather. The trans took forever and were too few for such a large property that accommodates 2000 people. The entire staff were wonderful, especially Leo at the Diamond club desk. He arranged for us to have a private taxi take us into town to see Al Capones house, shopping and a lobster dinner at a local restaurant. We also did two other excursions. We went to Havana and the absolute best excursion I've ever been on was the Jeep Safari. Highly recommended. For $73 you drive your own jeep, go snorkeling in the coral reef, swim in the cave (priceless), visit a ranch and have freshly squeezed sugar can juice and so much more, eat at a ranch, ride horses and finally drive your own speed boat all in one day...amazing! As for the food on the property, we were very lucky to have 4 private dinners. The Japanese is a must. The Mexican is good as was the French. I would stay away from the Memories dinner. Breakfast was good. Many people complained about the buffet, but we only went once. Also, keep in mind that many things can be paid for in Canadian dollars which is better than the exchange. It is a wonderful place, just a little too large for me.

Room Tip: I would book oceanfront sunset view and try to get building 35.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank elteach68

Dear guest,

Thanks your choosing Memories Varadero and thanks also for your comments. We are satisfied that you had a nice time in our resort and you enjoyed your holidays. We will be pleased to receive you again soon.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

my family and I made 2 trips to cuba in the last 7 months I stayed at memories veradaro both times.the diamond club at this hotel was well worth it.the manager of diamond club leodanys and his staff were exceptional.we weretreated like old friends from check in to check out..first from the diamond check in {not in the long line of people off the plane.to the special dining room a/c and friendly people and the name brand liquor for diamond club only at the bars.special beach area with drink waiters.we would never plan this trip without it .the dditional specialty restaurants were superb especially the Japanise .and diamond club welcome dinner by the pool.

Room Tip: let the diamond club up date your choice of room for you we liked unit 27 because I don't walk w...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jack m

Dear Jack,

Thank you for choosing Memories Varadero for your stay at Cuba for second time. We are really satisfied that you enjoyed your holidays at our resort. Thank you very much for sharing your opinion. We hope to welcome you at your third trip soon.