“Overall great”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Memories Varadero Beach Resort
Ranked #32 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My mother booked this place as a birthday gift for my brother's birthday. When reading the reviews though, I found this place to be quite polarizing - it was either excellent or terrible - so I went in with no expectation and to just take it as it goes. We booked triple occupancy for a suite.

The location of the suite was good. While on the first floor, it was just 10 metres from the beach. You just walked out of the room, and the little pathway to the beach was right in front of you. However, when we got to our room, there was only one bed, but the staff brought in 2 extra beds for the living room and took care of that part of the accommodation. The room itself was quite new, the air conditioning worked, but the TVs didn't - not that I cared anyways, since we were too preoccupied with everything else.

Our cleaner was a very nice lady who went above and beyond to ensure that our stay was perfect. Whatever issue we had, no matter how large or small, she made the extra effort to have it taken care of. I don't know her name, but she was working in building 35 last week and would like to commend her.

The food at the buffet was the standard buffet food, so nothing to write home about, but the restaurants were quite excellent. I was able to get the French, Mediterranean, and Japanese restaurants reserved. While the Japanese restaurant was a Teppanyaki experience, the French and the Mediterranean ones also were quite good. The snack bars had decent food, and I ate there more often for meals than the buffet.

The only downside about this place was the activity pool. It wasn't exactly clean, and when I went in, you could see tiny translucent green blobs so I didn't stay there long. The quiet pool was quite nice, but the best part about this resort was definitely the beach!

Overall, I had an excellent time at this resort, but if something can be done about cleaning the activity pool, it would definitely be 5 stars.

Room Tip: Go for a building in the 30s range since they are closest to the beach. As well, get a room on an up...
5  Thank sheibans
vlanzarotti, General Manager at Memories Varadero Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Memories Varadero for your stay in Cuba, and thanks for comments. We value your opinion that help us to continue improving our service and quality. We are glad that you had a nice holidays at our hotel and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Director General I General manager

Write a ReviewReviews (6,503)

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We were in this place August 3-6th. We booked a bus taking us to the resort. We have been waiting for an hour under the sun and when bus arrived, the driver said it's normal to wait for so long as they were picking up other passengers from different places. They don't know that it's possible to pick up at different time in all the places. It wasn't a good start. When we came to the resort, we been told that we are not allowed to eat in restaurants but only in buffet because it's for people who is staying 4 nights. When we booking the place, the agent said we can eat everywhere. I asked to speak to a manager who helped us with this problem. It was a good thing, because the food in buffet was really bad. We understand that it's hard to provide a good food in Cuba as some time they don't have simple basic ingredients. We are aware of that, but wanted to warn other travelers, especially those for whom the food is important. Most of the restaurants were decent, especially cuban and japanese. Mexican was terrible and French not good. Our room was specious but beds and linens just a basic, not really up to a standard of 4 stars. The same with many other details, like faucet for cleaning the feet after the beach didn't work, toilet in the room has no pressure and we didn't have a light bulbs in the room. I must say when we asked they were replaced, but it's just tell you that resort is not a 4 stars as it claims to be. Also, there is a smell of cheap cleaning products in the room. We were afraid to open the balcony because of mosquitoes as there is no nets at the door to prevent them to get into a room. The resort is 5 years old but definitely run down and not well maintain well . It's a big resort so you have to walk a lot and all the buildings are typical charmless contemporary structure, not much greenery.

Room Tip: we were closer to the beach which is good but the view were very boring and not attractive even the...
2  Thank Olya26
vlanzarotti, General Manager at Memories Varadero Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear guest,

Thanks for choosing our resort for your holidays. We apologize if your stay with us was not as you expected. We are really sorry if you didn't enjoy at our hotel, and we hope you could give us a new chance to show you our improvement.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

i had a very good time at the memories Varadero hotel in Cuba. my kids and i had alot of fun. my favourite part was the entertainment. i definietely will go back again to the same hotel. good food and drinks.

Room Tip: room by beach
4  Thank Nohemy C

Dear Nohemy,

Thanks for choosing Memories Varadero for your holidays in Cuba. We are glad that you have had a nice days with us. We hope you could come back soon.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Travelled July 28 - Aug 4th 2014. Leodanis from the Diamond Club is great and really helped make our trip that much better! Anything you need or questions you have seek him out. He truly does care about making your vacation better! Diamond club is a must for the little extra!
Food was better than I expected given previous Cuban experiences. No matter where you go in Cuba people will always complain about the food. I brought tons of heinz ketchup packages, italiano shake and a few other small spices. Truth be told I didn't use them so I believe that says a lot!
The resort is big so be ready to walk but thats not always a bad thing either.
We spent a lot of time at the sports bar in the evenings as it is central to everything, the AC blasts and they serve canned beer! Also for Diamond Club people, we ate lunch almost every day at the Italian restaurant as the food there was simply great!

Overall had a nice relaxing week of R&R.

Once again Diamond Club is a must for the little extra peso!

Room Tip: Building 29 - 32 (sunrise view) are best locations for all without a doubt!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Petey P

Dear Petey,

Thank you for choosing Memories Varadero for your stay in Cuba, and thanks also for sharing your experience. We are satisfied that you have had a nice holidays at our resort, and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I just read reviews from a few other people who were here around the same time.We were at Memories from Aug 6 to the 13th.We certainly had different experiences.This was my first time in Cuba and I went not expecting to much.I am a big traveler and have been to many places in the world,my favorite being Hawaii.That beening said I enjoyed my week at Memories.I think a lot has to do with your attitude.I found the majority of staff were amazing,especially Jennie at the beach bar on the diamond side.She was absolutely amazing and we miss her smile.The room is not five star but was very clean and large .Yes the TV was no good but I do not go to watch TV.Why would you go on vacation to watch TV!As far as the food goes it was better than I expected.Everyone knows the food is not good here and the buffet was pretty good and the a la cartes were amazing,especially the Cuban and Japponese.The drinks were great and if you just tip 1 or 2 pesoses the service is also great.Overall I enjoyed Memories and would recommend it to others.Just keep an open mind and if you are friendly and respectful you will get the same in return.We also were in the diamond club, which costs only a little more ,but can make your trip a little better.Thanks also to Leo who was in charge of diamond club and was always checking with everyone on how things were.And the beach is amazing!!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank happycoupletoronto

Dear guest,

Thanks for choosing Memories Varadero for your stay in Cuba. We are glad that you have had a nice holidays at our resort and our employees made you feel at home. We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

This is a big resort, so if you do not like to walk much then go elsewhere, other then that it is a clean and fun resort. 2 big pools with swim up bars (top pool is the quiet pool, pool closer to beach is the activity pool). Lots of options for food near the beach and throughout the resort. Food is decent (if your expecting 5* dinning then don't go to Cuba LOL). The staff where extremely friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Pay for the Sunrise rooms (puts you closer to the beach)
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mathew R
vlanzarotti, General Manager at Memories Varadero Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear Mathew,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your stay in Varadero, and thanks for sharing your opinion. We hope you have had a nice time with us and it will be a please to welcome you soon.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Aug-7 to Aug 14
Maintenance bad, Food Bad, Service at Restaurant bad, bad attitude for service everywhere. Main Pool dirty, mould between tiles, showers does not work, broken one side work the other doesn't. TV fuzzy only music can be heard. lights in bathrooms does not work, after second day of continues calling they came to put a bulb in the hall and a table lamp was supplied. if you want drinks after certain hours of operation at entertainment place,No glasses to serve drinks, bring your own if you want drinks. two days in a row same history. at beach Catamaran included, and some Kayaks included. Booked all day and no room for new booking, unless you are willing to pay 20 cuc per person they can take you to the reef coral to see the fishes. then yes booking available.

I have Been Few times in Cuba this the worst experience.

Beach excellent, Sun Excellent. outside the resort people lovely

There are others Resorts with better attitude.

3  Thank Rolando L

Dear Rolando,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your stay in Cuba, and thank you also for your opinion, it help us to improve our service and quality. We are so sorry if your stay was not as you expected and wee hope you could give us a new chance for you to appreciate our improvement,