“Four star in Cuba is a three star by North American standards.”

Memories Varadero Beach Resort
Ranked #32 of 65 Hotels in Varadero
“Four star in Cuba is a three star by North American standards.”
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

No real complaints about this place. Lots of restaurant options although some of it was repetitive but you can always find something different to eat. Just don't try everything on the buffet on the first night and you'll be fine. Entertainment each night was well done but I got a little tired of different variations of the same dance routine. If they do circus night while you are there check that one out- it's more unique than the rest. Double decker bus that goes right by the hotel to take you into the city for souvenir shopping was a bonus.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Tammy M
vlanzarotti, General Manager at Memories Varadero Beach Resort, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Tammy,

Thank you for choosing us for your holidays in Cuba and for sharing your comments. We work hard to improve our service and provide our clients a nice experience. We hope you could come back.

Director General I General manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,611)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This is our second time at Memories and we came back for the wonderful experience we had will the staff. This time, we booked for a group of 16 and also had a gread time. We were part of the Diamond Club and we received very good service from the Concierge Staff, especially Yisele and Leo. They were always helpful and available for anything we needed. The Animation Staff was just great and extremely nice. The day and night entertainment Staff were full of energy, mingled with the guest and made everyone feel important. We had such a good time and I wanted to express my thanks to Rai and Neil. I also had to go see the doctor and I have to tell you that she was just so kind and amazing. She and the nurse were very helpful and made it really comfortable for me. Also the barmaids at the Diamond Club bar were great, always smiling and giving great service. Our maid, Sandra was also very nice and kept rooms clean, never missing anything (#22). Also the waitress in the Diamond Club was amazing, always served us with a smile. The Japanese and Mexican restaurants were great and we highly recommend that people book them. Also, we found a great Italian restaurant in town called "Nonna Tina" that had fantastic pizza and pasta, we went 3 times during our 2 weeks in Cuba. The food at the snack bars were also good. The food at the buffet was average, there was a lot of choice but would have been nice to have the pizza, it was always finished by the time we got to the counter. There was never enough for the amount of guest in the hotel. All in all, we had a great time due to the Staff... great work everyone.

Room Tip: Stay on the 2nd and 4rd floor as the ground floor gets flooded when it rains Stay in rooms that fac...
2 Thank Pina0606
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your holidays and thank you also for your comments that help us to improve. We are satisfied you had some nice days with us and our staff made you feel at home. We hope to welcome you for a third time.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Travelled Aug 09 - 16, 2014. Excellent time, beautiful resort, staff friendly and helpful, we had 2 restaurants Cuban - great and Mexican-decent. Beech is outstanding, always able to find the chairs and shade, although resort seemed to be rather full. Food is great ( if you can't live without McDonald's then not, I guess). Grilled fish, fish soup, crockets, fruits - would eat it every day - outstanding. Entertainment great, catamaran trip - would do it any time. We went to Varadero by bus - great experience. Honestly, very hard to find the bad memory from Memories - maybe mosquitos in the evening, but even that was not to bad.
I am definitely going back to Memories but the next time it will be 10 days for sure.
Not recommended for McDonald's addicts and for lazy ones - some walking required, which is great.

Room Tip: Memorable lobby area, great to relax, listen to piano, sip a drink and enjoy
4 Thank Slaven B
vlanzarotti, General Manager at Memories Varadero Beach Resort, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Memories Varadero for your stay in Cuba, and thanks for sharing your experience. We are satisfied that you enjoyed your holidays at our resort. We hope to welcome you again for ten days next time.

Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I've been to Mexico and the Dominican and heard that the main difference between those places and Cuba is the beach and food quality. The food at this resort was perfectly acceptable and I found it quite comparable to the food found at many resorts in the Dominican. Many people on my plane complained about the food but I thought it was fine. The beach was much better than my experience in Mexico and the Dominican. Crystal clear, warm water, white sand, calm waters, and no people harassing you to buy stuff. A few people that I would like to mention who made my vacation much better are Leo, Yoli, Manuel, and Joey. They went above and beyond to make sure my friends and I were satisfied. The Japanese A La Carte is amazing, the others were not so great. I recommend eating at Casa De Al (located downtown Varadero) sometime during your trip. It is a bit pricey but probably the best meal I have ever had. The rooms were OK and my room had a mouldy smell but I got used to it throughout the week. I also recommend visiting Havana as it is a beautifully cultured city and only a 2 hour drive from the resort. Yes, the resort is BIG but that is one of the reasons why I chose the resort. Lots of exercise and adventuring. Avoid the disco bar as it frequently runs out of cups and they take forever to serve you. Luckily there are plenty of other bars on the resort that deliver proper service. Overall it's a great resort and I would recommend it for people of all ages :)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Chris S
vlanzarotti, General Manager at Memories Varadero Beach Resort, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Chris,

Thanks for choosing Memories Varadero for your stay. We are satisfied that you have had a nice holidays at our resort. We thanks you for your comments that help us to improve. We hope to welcome you again at our resort soon.

Tirgu Mures, Romania
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My mother booked this place as a birthday gift for my brother's birthday. When reading the reviews though, I found this place to be quite polarizing - it was either excellent or terrible - so I went in with no expectation and to just take it as it goes. We booked triple occupancy for a suite.

The location of the suite was good. While on the first floor, it was just 10 metres from the beach. You just walked out of the room, and the little pathway to the beach was right in front of you. However, when we got to our room, there was only one bed, but the staff brought in 2 extra beds for the living room and took care of that part of the accommodation. The room itself was quite new, the air conditioning worked, but the TVs didn't - not that I cared anyways, since we were too preoccupied with everything else.

Our cleaner was a very nice lady who went above and beyond to ensure that our stay was perfect. Whatever issue we had, no matter how large or small, she made the extra effort to have it taken care of. I don't know her name, but she was working in building 35 last week and would like to commend her.

The food at the buffet was the standard buffet food, so nothing to write home about, but the restaurants were quite excellent. I was able to get the French, Mediterranean, and Japanese restaurants reserved. While the Japanese restaurant was a Teppanyaki experience, the French and the Mediterranean ones also were quite good. The snack bars had decent food, and I ate there more often for meals than the buffet.

The only downside about this place was the activity pool. It wasn't exactly clean, and when I went in, you could see tiny translucent green blobs so I didn't stay there long. The quiet pool was quite nice, but the best part about this resort was definitely the beach!

Overall, I had an excellent time at this resort, but if something can be done about cleaning the activity pool, it would definitely be 5 stars.

Room Tip: Go for a building in the 30s range since they are closest to the beach. As well, get a room on an up...
5 Thank sheibans
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Memories Varadero for your stay in Cuba, and thanks for comments. We value your opinion that help us to continue improving our service and quality. We are glad that you had a nice holidays at our hotel and we hope to welcome you again soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We were in this place August 3-6th. We booked a bus taking us to the resort. We have been waiting for an hour under the sun and when bus arrived, the driver said it's normal to wait for so long as they were picking up other passengers from different places. They don't know that it's possible to pick up at different time in all the places. It wasn't a good start. When we came to the resort, we been told that we are not allowed to eat in restaurants but only in buffet because it's for people who is staying 4 nights. When we booking the place, the agent said we can eat everywhere. I asked to speak to a manager who helped us with this problem. It was a good thing, because the food in buffet was really bad. We understand that it's hard to provide a good food in Cuba as some time they don't have simple basic ingredients. We are aware of that, but wanted to warn other travelers, especially those for whom the food is important. Most of the restaurants were decent, especially cuban and japanese. Mexican was terrible and French not good. Our room was specious but beds and linens just a basic, not really up to a standard of 4 stars. The same with many other details, like faucet for cleaning the feet after the beach didn't work, toilet in the room has no pressure and we didn't have a light bulbs in the room. I must say when we asked they were replaced, but it's just tell you that resort is not a 4 stars as it claims to be. Also, there is a smell of cheap cleaning products in the room. We were afraid to open the balcony because of mosquitoes as there is no nets at the door to prevent them to get into a room. The resort is 5 years old but definitely run down and not well maintain well . It's a big resort so you have to walk a lot and all the buildings are typical charmless contemporary structure, not much greenery.

Room Tip: we were closer to the beach which is good but the view were very boring and not attractive even the...
2 Thank Olya26
Dear guest,

Thanks for choosing our resort for your holidays. We apologize if your stay with us was not as you expected. We are really sorry if you didn't enjoy at our hotel, and we hope you could give us a new chance to show you our improvement.

Director General I General manager

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 17 August 2014

i had a very good time at the memories Varadero hotel in Cuba. my kids and i had alot of fun. my favourite part was the entertainment. i definietely will go back again to the same hotel. good food and drinks.

Room Tip: room by beach
4 Thank Nohemy C
Dear Nohemy,

Thanks for choosing Memories Varadero for your holidays in Cuba. We are glad that you have had a nice days with us. We hope you could come back soon.