“The most AMAZING experience on Curacao”
Review of Sol Food

Sol Food
Ranked #17 of 364 Restaurants in Curacao
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Pizza
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, View, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Sol Food is a small casual place where we (David and Sunshine) serve lunch and dinner on our deck. We live downstairs and have a 3 bedroom vacation rental upstairs, Sunshine Getaway. Westpunt is at the far west end of the island and is quite small. Our home is on the Weg Naar Playa Kalki about a half mile before you get to the Lodge Kura Hulanda. To find us, take the road across from Jaanchie's restaurant and a left between the cemetery and ball field. If you any trouble finding us, ask anyone where we live.We are a part of our community and the island. David has a mountain bike club for the boys in town, the Westpunt Riders Boys Mountain Bike Club and I am involved with the American Women's Club and a few other organizations around Curacao. We do not have the luxury of American wholesalers or grocery stores and I shop every Thursday with fingers crossed that I'll be able to find all that we need for Sol Food. We are open Friday, Saturday and Sunday noon to 9PM, reservations are recommended. There are only 9 tables and it is hard to accommodate any group larger than 8 guests. The Lodge has a banquet room. Besides the Lodge and Jaanchies, you can eat at Misje or Rancho Sobrino here in town. Our menu is simple; pizza, salads and/or tuna, shrimp, tilapia, snapper, steak, chicken, hot dogs or hamburgers from the grill.We hire the boys from the bike club and a couple of local women. We are not a high end restaurant nor do we wish to be one. Many of the boys have worked for us 3 or 4 years and returning guests have been able to see how they have progressed not only in life but with their language and social skills. We find that those who chose to stay in Westpunt are laid back and casual, most of them are snorkelers, divers or mountain bikers. Many have become friends and we all enjoy seeing each other when they return.If you are staying in Westpunt or Lagun, Sol Food is a great place to meet with old or new friends and have something to eat. But really folks, it's just simple American food. If you are staying in Santa Barbara, Jan Theil or Jan Sofat, it is over an hour drive one way. We highly recommend that you do take the drive to see the beaches and National Parks. If you have time, come by for lunch or an early dinner and drive back during the daylight. We are 45 minutes from Lions Dive, Sunscape and the Royal Sea Aquarium and 35 minutes from the Renaissance, Hilton and Marriott. There is such a variety of great places to eat all over Curacao. We hope you enjoy your stay.
Indiana
“The most AMAZING experience on Curacao”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I am diving in Curacao and I eat here the 3 days they are opened. The pizza, rib eye, lionfish, salads, sundaes and everything is AWSOME. The staff is very friendly and the owners will go out of their way to help you. You better have reservations or you may be turned away because its very small and that's another plus to it. Tell Dave and Sunshine that Aruba Bob says a BIG hello. I know that Sunshines will know me and I would surely hope that David would remember me!!!!!

“brightening”
Reviewed 21 June 2013

This restaurant is so atypical. The owner Sunshine onsets a very personal touch and willing to go the extra mile to make your stay in Curacao the best. The food was delicious and worth a fingerlicking just saying...We ate there 3 times. Sunshine personality definitely fits her name ok back to the food. The bread is a delightfully tasty especially if you get a loaf for a light breakfast or nice snack after diving. Our entree consisted of lion fish prepared remarkable well and rib eye steak ( huge enough to share or for seconds). I also shared a pizza which was enormous. The service was attentive and prompt. Sunshine prepared a guide for the island and its hidden treasures. Love this restaurant. Atmosphere and Scenery was beautiful. Beautiful view of the ocean too. Definitely a plus for Curacao.

Sterlington, Louisiana
“Great atomsphere and food”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

The food was really good !!!

The restaurant is attached to Sunshine and David's house.

She makes everyone feel welcome and like a old friend.

I'm really impressed how she treated the staff like members of her family and not workers. She seems to teach them life lessons as well as wisdom.

We ate there 3 times during our week stay.

Did I say the food was very good.

Oh yeah if you want to get a specfic seat please call in advance.

Stow, Massachusetts
“The Standard”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I go to Westpunt at least five times a year so think I have a good handle on what is good there. If it is a good eating experience you desire then Sol Food is the place to go. If given a choice between Sol Food and any other restaurant in the area Sol Food wins hands down.

Why? Great food, high grade ingredients, beautiful surroundings, and the finest hosts in Curacao. David and Sunshine are wonderful people and really know how to make you feel like a resident.

Worth going to at least twice during your stay. Try a fine cut of beef one day and a homemade pizza another. Myself I am partial to Sunshine's burgers, amazing! And I would be remiss if I did not mention that Sunshine is a master baker and her brownie sundaes are the bomb.

Cape Coral, Florida
“Awesome Pizza”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Sunshine's personality fits her name, she was so accommodating to our large group of very hungry divers. The price was very reasonable and the food was outstanding. The location of the place is absolutely gorgeous with a beautiful veiw of ocean. I would recommend this place not just for the food but for the location and staff as well......Thanks Sunshine!