“Our favorite restaurant on Curacao” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sol Food
Ranked #14 of 354 Restaurants in Curacao
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Pizza
Good for: Romantic, View, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Sol Food is a small casual place where we (David and Sunshine) serve lunch and dinner on our deck. We live downstairs and have a 3 bedroom vacation rental upstairs, Sunshine Getaway. Westpunt is at the far west end of the island and is quite small. Our home is on the Weg Naar Playa Kalki about a half mile before you get to the Lodge Kura Hulanda. To find us, take the road across from Jaanchie's restaurant and a left between the cemetery and ball field. If you any trouble finding us, ask anyone where we live.We are a part of our community and the island. David has a mountain bike club for the boys in town, the Westpunt Riders Boys Mountain Bike Club and I am involved with the American Women's Club and a few other organizations around Curacao. We do not have the luxury of American wholesalers or grocery stores and I shop every Thursday with fingers crossed that I'll be able to find all that we need for Sol Food. We are open Friday, Saturday and Sunday noon to 9PM, reservations are recommended. There are only 9 tables and it is hard to accommodate any group larger than 8 guests. The Lodge has a banquet room. Besides the Lodge and Jaanchies, you can eat at Misje or Rancho Sobrino here in town. Our menu is simple; pizza, salads and/or tuna, shrimp, tilapia, snapper, steak, chicken, hot dogs or hamburgers from the grill.We hire the boys from the bike club and a couple of local women. We are not a high end restaurant nor do we wish to be one. Many of the boys have worked for us 3 or 4 years and returning guests have been able to see how they have progressed not only in life but with their language and social skills. We find that those who chose to stay in Westpunt are laid back and casual, most of them are snorkelers, divers or mountain bikers. Many have become friends and we all enjoy seeing each other when they return.If you are staying in Westpunt or Lagun, Sol Food is a great place to meet with old or new friends and have something to eat. But really folks, it's just simple American food. If you are staying in Santa Barbara, Jan Theil or Jan Sofat, it is over an hour drive one way. We highly recommend that you do take the drive to see the beaches and National Parks. If you have time, come by for lunch or an early dinner and drive back during the daylight. We are 45 minutes from Lions Dive, Sunscape and the Royal Sea Aquarium and 35 minutes from the Renaissance, Hilton and Marriott. There is such a variety of great places to eat all over Curacao. We hope you enjoy your stay.
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Our favorite restaurant on Curacao”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2010

We ate at a number of different restaurants during our 2 week scuba diving trip to Curacao, and Sunshine and David Livingston's Sol Food is definitely our favorite place to eat on the island! We also rented the Curcaco Sunshine Getaway apartment above the restaurant, and were able to cater several meals in addition to the meals on Fri - Sun, lunch and dinner, which are the times the restaurant is normally open. The restaurant is spread out in a lovely garden setting in the back of the house, and is a great place to meet folks on the weekends. We ate a variety of entrees, from fresh fish, steak, pasta and pizza, and every dish was perfectly prepared, including the salads, appetizers and incredible desserts, which included a chocolate cake for my birthday that was out of this world! It was a real treat to share some of the cake with the Ocean Encounters West Dive Shop the next day. It is well worth the scenic drive to Westpunt in order to enjoy a fabulous meal at Sol Food.

2 Thank alashas

Philadelphia
“Thanks to Sunshine & David for the good times”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2010

What a place to relax and eat after a days diving or chilling out
Wonderful outdoor seating under roof and a view of the bay
Great pizza, burgers and other meals on the menu
Sunshines "whimsy" is always an interesting side dish
Brownie sundaes to die for!!!!
These folks have embedded themselves in the Westpunt community as well
We are there 3 nights out of every 7 in Curacao
Miss it already its been less than 48 hours
See you next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Thank PhillySnorkeller
Los Angeles, California
“Nice Dinner and Good Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2010

My rating for this restaurant is actually 3.5. This is a very casual place for a bite to eat in Westpunt. It is only open Fri-Sun. I had the grilled tuna which was cooked fine. The hosts are very charming and it is obvious that they love having this part time gig. Sunshine also gave us a nice write up of things to do/see on the island listing some of her favorite places to go/see. It was nice to get a local to give some recommendations that could be used. After dinner we had dessert. I have to say that I REALLY REALLY enjoyed the chocolate brownie with ice cream and chocolate fudge. It was simply the best and really fresh (way better than my tuna steak!) So overall, the food is above average the dessert is off the chart good and more than fair prices.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Rutherford, New Jersey
“Good Food and Good Times”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2010

We stayed at Lodge Kura Hulanda and made reservations for Sol Food one night while there, and I'm glad we did. It was a very enjoyable dining experience all around! The outdoor dining overlooking the water makes for a great setting. My wife and I were in Curacao for our honeymoon in early October 2010 and so it was just the two of us dining to start, but Sunshine (the owner) came to us early on before we had our appetizer and asked if we would be okay with another couple joining us. That seems to be one of the hallmarks of Sol Food, in that travelers get to meet and enjoy one another's company. My wife and I had no problem with that and we were joined by a very friendly couple from Sweden. They were about our age and it was great to get to know them.

My wife and I decided to split one of their pizzas (with veggie toppings) as an appetizer, since we saw how good it looked and smelled over at the table next to us. It was very good and was a nice size...we decided to take a doggy bag for some of it, since we still had our entrees to come. For the entree, I had island-spiced grilled chicken, with mashed potatoes and snap peas. It was all excellent. The chicken was a nice portion and was one of the better chickens I've had at a restaurant. My wife had snapper and really enjoyed it. We split a brownie/ice cream dish for dessert and that was good too. We had a few drinks (wine and beer) too and for all that we had, the value was terrific. I think it was roughly $80 for all that we had, including tax and tip. Definitely worth it!

I mentioned Sunshine and she is a delightful woman. She is so full of life and I was glad to get to know her. We (and the Swedish couple) had the chance to talk with her for an extended period at the end of the night. Sunshine is just a really nice person, who was happy to give us tips about the island (in fact, she highly recommended we scuba dive, which we had never tried...my wife was unsure on doing it but was convinced, so we tried it ourt final day of the trip and LOVED it). Sunshine also gave us a few pages with all sorts of facts about the island, to read at our leisure. My only regret was not going here at the beginning of our trip, to get her great info right at the start (and to get to eat there again as well!). All in all, we spent about 3 hours at the restaurant, eating, drinking, talking to Sunshine and the Swedes at our table...we never felt rushed at all, as the night went by at a nice, leisurely place, and I highlu recommend Sol Food to all!

1 Thank DaveVel
New York
“Fantastic Rehearsal/Welcome Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

We traveled to Westpunt, Curacao for our wedding. We choose Sol Food for our Friday night rehearsal dinner. We had 23 wedding guests and they all loved Sol Food. Sunshine was an absolute joy and was very accomodating to all our needs.

We enjoyed the FANTASTIC pizzas and salads while gazing out at the beautiful ocean. One of our guests was gluten intolerant and they had no problem making a special dish. They even brought out a special dessert just for her.

I highly recommend visiting this restaurant if you are ever lucky enough to find yourself on the west end of Curacao. They are open Friday-Sunday.

Excellent!!!