“Historic Building - Gourmet Restaurant” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Landhuis Daniel

Landhuis Daniel
Ranked #23 of 48 Curacao B&B and Inns
Schenectady, New York
“Historic Building - Gourmet Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2011

Landhuis Daniel has a lovely setting with a drive flanked by palms and bougainvillea. The restaurant patio is decorated with orchids and filled with bird song. I had a room upstairs in the main house and it was a little funky since it was retrofitted into the old Dutch-style plantation house but was comfortable. I loved opening up the shutters in the morning to let in light and birdsong. As most reviewers have said, because it is in the middle of the island, a rental car is almost a necessity to get around. I signed up for half-pension and enjoyed finding out what the chef would prepare although I found it confusing as to what it actually meant to have the half-pension because the meals were different from the ones on the menu. I had some fabulous meals...the chef is a wizard with fish dishes...and his boiled potatoes are the best I have ever had. Olga, the restaurant manager, was very kind and helpful. It was a wonderful way to experience Curacao for the first time.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank dmarek

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
juliachildtaste
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2010

Spent a week in Curacao and each night tried a different restaurant. Our price range was $50 - $75 per person (including a bottle or 2 of wine). While some of the other places we tried were good, this place was GREAT! So good, we went their twice - they change up the menu. The ambience was perfect (outdoor seating with plenty of fresh air), the service was on their game and the food was excellent! They offer a variety of entrees - some staples (meat or fish) and then some different (from traditional American restaurants) dishes. They also had a good wine selection. Good food & good wine - perfect match!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank juliachildtaste
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2010

We are English speaking and the other restaurant patrons were mostly Dutch. Service was terrible. My conversation with the waiter:
What is the house salad?
You know, a normal salad.
Whats in it?
Normal salad things.
Are there tomatoes in it?
Probably.
The food actually was pretty good, but for 2 entrees a soup and a salad, we paid $100. Water was never refilled and waiters were horrible.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Andy B
New York, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2009

Reconverted slave (servant) quarters, (row) houses for 50 bucks ! We thought we could save a lot of money. We checked beforehand the adjoining Daniel Huis restaurant which gets good reviews--fairly plush. So we hoped accommodations would be OK in line with restaurant. But the accommodations in the nearby row houses on the property are dirty and unlivable...Ants all over floor. One benefit: you can take shower at the same time you are on the toilet. Dirty and rusty sink in room. Pictures were all on tilt--probably the pictures were OK but the floor was tilted! Management tried to help us--brought soap and tried to make the so-called shower door work but failed. Only stay here if you are desperate to save 100 dollars a night but be prepared !!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bebopbarney
north yorkshire, england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2009

A very hold fashioned Dutch style house; the stairs are steep and the shower rooms simple. We took room 9 in the plantation house but had some problems and moved to room 7 which was much nicer. Towels were changed daily except for Monday and sheets were changed once during the week. You can get towels for the pool or beach too. There is a half pension option at $30 per day. Mr Jan has a deep voice and looks stern but in fact he is very helpful. Most of the staff do not speak much English. The food is very good indeed and we particularly enjoyed the Surprise menu chosen by the chef and also the good value Week menu; however the desserts were a bit heavy. They serve pancakes too and they are excellent - try the one with Nutella, ice cream and caramelised walnuts! The flowers growing in the garden and on the terrace are lovely and you can relax by the pool. There are occasional planes flying over as it is 10 minutes from the airport. This is a great location for visiting most of the island and only 30 minutes from the Christoffel national park where you can do some interesting walks (but go early in the day). Our favourite beach was Porto Mari, just 10 minutes away past the flamingo lagoon; they have beds and umbrellas and a good beach cafe and bar.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fairtrader
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2009

My husband and I were in Curacao for a business meeting at the Marriott, but we wanted to spend a few extra days there as well - the cost of the Marriott on our personal budget being too much, I was delighted when Landhuis Daniel could accomodate us. For the price, you really can't beat it. The other reviews confirm what we experienced - a very beautiful, peaceful setting with beautiful birds flying overhead and beautiful flowers everywhere. It was wonderful to "come back home" there. The rooms were basic, but since we didn't spend much time there, it was OK for us. I used the pool once, and it was nice and clean. We were in the old slave rooms on the side. Odd to have the toilet in with the shower (hot water only in the afternoon), but we managed. I had only two minor complaints. 1)The beds didn't have a mattress pad and the sheets looked very dingy. On smelling them, though, they were clean. They did not stay on the mattress though. There was no bedcover, but given the temperature, it would've been mostly for looks. 2)Twice (we stayed before and after the business meeting), I was charged the current room rate instead of the rate I had reserved for. When I pointed it out, the owner (a surly Dutch man) grumbled and paid me the difference in cash. He was, in fact, the most disagreeable aspect of the place. Luckily, we didn't have to deal with him much. The other staff members were lovely. We asked if we could come back to shower before our flight home; the owner (he apparently had a bad hangover) chewed me out, but the manager and cleaning lady took good care of us anyway. My husband was somewhat bothered by the airplanes overhead (it's close to the airport, and seems to be under the flight path), and the sounds of the cars on the nearby road. I didn't notice them, but my earplugs may have helped :)
One more thing - it definitely helps to have a car here. I didn't see many buses go by. We could buy lunch supplies at the nearby grocery store and picnic on the beach of the day. We also went twice to mass in the nearby town and were given a friendly welcome.

We also enjoyed having the restaurant so close by - it was excellent.

If you're OK with basic accomodations, then this is definitely a good place to stay.

• Liked — Beauty, peace, good food
  • Disliked — beds, owner
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2008

I was able to get a reservation here close to my vacation time.I reserved by email/website. I stayed up to Christmas- flew home Christmas day. There are several types of room choices, but I took a small room (one of those left) in the former 'slave quarters'. This room had A/C, turn off or on and it worked fine. The bath is outside the door of the room, so it's a little strange (part of the rehab process) but I never had a problem ...the Landhuis is in the country and the only people around back by the small rooms are staying at the Landhuis. Technically the Landhuis isn't a B&B, breakfast is ordered separately (unless there is a breakfast plan I've forgotten about) but it is a great breakfast and well worth it. The choices are just wonderful. People come to the Landhuis from around Curacao for the restaurant, and it was great to be there as a guest and have the restaurant right there. The place is quite laidback, as is most of Curacao. It is usually quite quiet , at least in my rooms, even though there is a restaurant there, it is not open til the wee hours. There was a mistake on my charge card when I got home, and they quickly rectified it, no problem. The pool is nice, although in the mornings I often had to fish out spiders ( I don't mind other things, but not spiders) but it was very pleasant, since no one else was swimming in it except me. It's a beautiful setting and a very nice pool. I'm surprised more people didn't use it. But the beaches are the big draw in Curacao. Being on the western end of the island, in a historic Landhuis (Daniel has always been an inn of some type, unlike many landhuises; it was used by travelers on their way to the west in older days, as it is fairly centrally located on the whole island), made it easy to get out and see rural Curacao. The owners were very pleasant, the staff helpful, the other guests were fun, and until I decided to rent a car, I got rides with other people to the beach and into town. A bus goes nearby, which I took at first, but I would recommend renting a car. It makes getting around easier. I think an iguana or something was on my roof at night, as I heard some loud noises scratching around..once I got used to it, it wasn't startling and only happened at certain times. I guess the Iguana was bedding down too:>) The room was basic, but for the price, it could not be beat! I wouldn't trade a night in a resort hotel for a night there....well, maybe for a million dollars ok, but realistically, no. I would like to go back and am seriously thinking about it, even though usually I try to go to new places where I haven't been. Because Curacao is such an accessible island with a little bit of something for everyone, I think.

• Liked — the location and cost
  • Disliked — I can't really think of a bad thing
  • Stayed December 2005, travelled solo
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank JoyM