“Amazing Experience Despite Scheduling Snafu”
Review of Substation Curacao

Substation Curacao
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Discover the Unknown Depths with this unique 5-person submarine in Curaçao. The Curasub can descend to depths up to 1,000ft (320meters). It’s equipped with the latest technology and certified by Germanischer Lloyd’s which adheres to the latest safety regulations.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
McMurray, Pennsylvania
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Amazing Experience Despite Scheduling Snafu”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Three days before our confirmed reservation dive on January 15th, I received an email from Barbara informing me because of a scheduling conflict on the 15th, she would like to reschedule my dive on another day. I found this to be both puzzling and disappointing because my reservation was made in October and secured with a $650 wired deposit. When the reservation was made I had the choice of several times and days. Since I had already booked a day tour on one of the two days I was going to be in Curacao, I responded to Barbara that I could not change my schedule and asked how there could be a scheduling conflict when she confirmed my reservation 3 months ago. Barbara later responded that "we have been able to turn things around and your time is confirmed for the original date and time". My wife and I were certainly delighted that we were able to then make the dive which was an amazing experience for both of us. Bruce gave us a super dive and it is an experience that we will never forget. It turned out that my wife and I were the only passengers on our dive so we both got to enjoy front window viewing for the entire dive. Never did understand how there could be a schedule conflict when there were only 2 passengers in the sub that can accommodate 4 passengers.

Visited January 2014

Simi Valley, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Amazing trip”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

The sub dive that we did yesterday morning really was amazing. The staff were very professional and went into detail about the safety measures and life support on the sub. They take tons of pictures during the whole event, and give them to you on a USB drive when it's all done. They made sure that we were comfortable with plenty of drinks and snacks beforehand.

They put the sub in the water and read off all the equipment to make sure everything is functioning properly. The sub itself is pretty small when you get in, but not too bad. We went down to 520 feet, and our captain knew everything about all the sea life we were checking out. Below 300 feet there was not much life, but it was still a cool experience. We visited a reef around 180 feet that had all the colors of the rainbow, and some boat wrecks at 160 feet.

Back on land, they let you pick out some t-shirts to take and show you all the pics. They also give you a hardcover book about Curacao. We happened to be there when the owner, "Dutch" showed up. He was the sweetest man ever, he just wanted to talk and learn everything he could about us. You could tell how passionate he was about his business and sharing the underwater world with others. If we did not have to go to the airport, I am sure we would have stayed for many hours just talking to Dutch and the crew. Just totally awesome people.

I would not recommend this to the average visitor. I think only somebody who really loves marine biology or diving would like it, as we do. Unfortunately, for the price, I don't think a "normal" tourist would enjoy it. But if you are like us and looking for an adventurous educational experience instead of a flashy amusement park ride, this is definitely the chance of a lifetime.

Visited July 2013
6 Thank Danielle R
Hacienda Heights, California
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“WOW WOW WOW”
Reviewed 13 July 2013

What more can I say? This is definitely a once in a lifetime, unique experience. We spent 2 weeks in the Caribbean - this was the highlight of our trip.

I was afraid I would get seasick getting the sub into the water. I guess I have watched too much Discovery channel. On the Discovery Channel the research subs are always on a boat in the middle of the ocean and they crane them into the water. The rough seas are bobbing the sub up and down. I am at home and I think I am getting sick. But no....not this sub.

They have the sub setup right at the dock in a protected harbour. Once in the sub they immediately drop below the surface. You never feel the wave motion at all. In fact it feels like floating - similar to a hot air balloon ride. I loved it!

A few notes of caution - you do need to go down a small ladder to get in the sub. And it only holds 4 people plus the pilot. You want to be in the front which involves laying down on your stomach for the 1.5 hours of the dive. And it gets very humid in the sub. Dress accordingly.

We took the 500 ft dive since the 1000 ft dive is mostly dark. I was surprised at the amount of light at 500 feet. Traveling up the coral sea wall we saw lots of life. Cool!

This is a top notch operation. They run a boat on the surface following the sub in case anything happens. They checked air and vitals every 15 minutes. Very professional. I felt safe trusting them with my life.

I must admit I was a bit put off by wiring the money ahead of time to secure my date/time. But them my husband reminded me - you are trusting these people with your life - so why not trust them with your money? Good point! Glad we wired the money.

Afterward they give you a tshirt, certificate and a flash drive with photos from the dive. Some of the pics were from a diver who took pics of you in the sub 50 feet down. Definitely using that as the Christmas photo this year!

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Likes_to_Travel
Southlake, Texas
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Definitely a once in lifetime event!”
Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

If you have any interest in sea exploration, you'll love Substation Curacao. The sub is actually used for research when not carrying tourists to the sea floor. The sub ho. s 5, but they are close quarters. My wife's claustrophobia was not an issue; however, the exprerirence is better when the group is small. In our case, there were only the two of us and the pilot in the sub. Keep in mind, you will be in a lying position for much of the time.

The pilot was extremely knowledgeable and kept us engaged the entire time. He was full of facts about the sea life we were observing. we dove to 500 feet below the surface. We were very impressed with the safety precautions taken. Safety checks were performed every 15 minutes and the sub was in constant communications with the vessel above.

Its expensive, but worth it if sea exploration is on you bucket list.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank mcchristopher1
Alstead, New Hampshire
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Once-in-a-lifetime experience!!”
Reviewed 17 May 2013

This was truly an incredible experience! From the minute we arrived, we were treated like old friends, and couldn't have asked for a better time. All the staff were incredible - Barry, Bruce, Tico, and Rob - so knowledgeable and helpful, we had fun the entire time we were there. Our pilot, Tico, was awesome - can't say enough - and we had such a great time we could have easily have stayed down there for hours more. We are still in awe that we dove to 800'! This adventure was absolutely worth the price, and much more - a personalized tour of "inner space". If this event isn't on your 'bucket list' already, put it there NOW!

Visited May 2013