“Good Food, Beautiful Presentation”
Review of Sjalotte

Sjalotte
Ranked #78 of 310 Restaurants in Willemstad
Price range: US$10 - US$35
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Sjalotte restaurant is located in a beautifully landscaped tropical garden. The restaurant is modern and offers an excellent menu for real food lovers who wants to enjoy the best island delights!
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I stayed at a nearby hotel and checked out the menu for this restaurant as I passed by one day. It looked like a good selection of food at a reasonable price. There were many options from pasta to surf and turf. My daughter, who lives in Curacao joined me for an evening meal. The atmosphere was pleasant, partially outdoors with nice lighting. We passed through an area with pretty fountains.

I ordered the surf and turf (shrimp and steak) and my daughter ordered the linguine without chicken since she is a vegetarian. The price for the linguine was not altered but we didn't expect that it would be. We noticed that people at a neighboring table had shrimp cocktails. They looked delicious and seemed like nice large shrimp. Our meals came and were beautifully presented. Mine was extremely tasty, I have included photos. For dessert, we opted for lemon cheesecake and a chocolate brownie. Dessert was somewhat fanciful and overdone. My daughter enjoyed her brownie, but the cheesecake was a bit elaborate and saucy for my taste. I would have preferred it a bit plainer. We enjoyed a visit from the chef at our table. Service was excellent. The price for what we had was quite acceptable. This was a good restaurant which I will visit it again in the future.

1  Thank Hildetoronto
Marlous M, Front Office Manager at Sjalotte, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear Hildetoronto, Thank you so much for your beautiful review and pictures. We enjoyed reading and watching them! We are looking forward to spoil you again. For updates regarding the restaurant, please like our facebook page www.facebook.com/restaurantsjalotte

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We had this amazing diner for a very good prize.
The taste of Sjalotte gives a good impression of the excelent quality of taste, creativety and presentation of food they have in house. The service is nice and I especially enjoy the garden and romantic atmosphere.

Marlous M, Public Relations Manager at Sjalotte, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Thank you Maiti2013 for this nice review. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed the food, service and atmosphere. We are looking forward spoiling you again. For more updates please like our facebook page www.facebook.com/restaurantsjalotte

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Last week -on Friday evening- we were able to get the last free table in the Sjalotte restaurant for their special dining offer icw restaurant week. The restaurant is not too big and has a cozy atmosphere. The menu looked very promising. Two main courses, one fish and one meat and everything else you may expect in a fine restaurant from the entree till the dessert. We were not disappointed. The presentation on our plate was a joy to the eye. Colorful, as good as can be. The food was cooked by the skilful cook in the open kitchen, wonderful. We enjoyed the looks and the taste until the end. We have not tried the wine selection as we came right from the happy hour at Floris. I hope that many more guests will try this restaurant. I am glad that we did not let this opportunity pass by. We felt spoiled and at this price it was a real steal. Thanks Sjalotte !

Dear Nico,

Thanks you for this beautiful review, very much appreciated!
It was a pleasure spoiling you! Hope to see you back real soon!

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Yesterday visited Sjalotte during their restaurant week. The restaurant has a slighty trendy exterior, yet dated table set up (glasses, linen, china etc.) Their wine menu is very limited and like all the hotels very overpriced, but that's how they please the shareholders.

It was quite busy, but that is probably attributed to the 54,- Nafl. 6 course menu. Thus that had a boatload of staff. It looked to me these were mainly interns from local hospitality schools, which is good, but make sure that get supervision and guidance. Although the service level was rather slow and typical Curacao it was friendly and adequate.

Than the food, it was ok. The food sounded more promising on the menu than what we got. We started with 4 amuses, a blue curacao jelly, crab/plantain cake and the rest I couldn't really define. The next course was or antipasti with some artichoke. tomato etc. or spicy eggplant with mango sauce. The antipasti was again ok, all canned veggies but the taste is ok. The spicy eggplant wasn't spicy and the sauce that accompanied the eggplant was the same that went along with the dessert and taste like cheap melted overly sweet candy. As a spoon or intermezzo they had lemon sherbet, which was good, It was presented on a small glass with a red liquid, which apparently was grenadine with red Curacao. On the menu it was mentioned as decorated by the chef. Great culinary creativity but ok.

The menu mentioned we would get our meat first and after fish. Which was not mentioned on their menu on the FB page, is not normally the case in a standard order of dishes and was also not the case. So you printed out wrong menus and are just to lazy to print new ones ? C'mon is their a restaurant manager who can at least pay some attention to detail.

So, on to the fish. It was red snapper of conch. Red snapper a tat dry but still a nice taste due to the lemon sauce and the conch in its polenta basket and west indian butter sauce was quite nice as well. The only thing was that we had 2 snappers with which were plated differently. Again proving the chefs or management do not have eye for detail or just don't care.

For the meat it was filet mignon wrapped in bacon with bearnaise sauce, mash and veggies or lamb rack with red wine sauce? and the same accompaniments. These were probably the best dishes, great cushion and tenderness. The only thing I got quite pissed of is that I got a mini lambrack (2 bones) and another table got a regular one (4 bones). Ok now I feel ripped off. And that gave the evening a slightly sour taste. The dessert is not even worth to mention, overly sweet cake with the same sauce as my "spicy" eggplant. But hey what do you expect for 54,- Nafl. A nice try to grasp the local market, but failed miserably. I will not return and would not recommend the restaurant.

Marlous M, Public Relations Manager at Sjalotte, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear wezzmacd,

Thank you for visiting Sjalotte during our restaurant week. This idea was born, since the October edition of the regular Curacao restaurant week was blown off. Either way we didn't want to disappoint our guests and made sure we would spoil them as much as possible and created "The taste of Sjalotte".

It's correct that with big events like these we have next to our own staff, some staff of the hospitality school, since we find it very important to stimulate the local employment on Curacao. Thanks for your compliment regarding this. Very much appreciated. I think the taste of the antipasti was good since all the ingredients are fresh and not canned as you assumed. The sauce accompanied with the eggplant is a pesto sauce, which you didn’t get with your dessert. More likely is that you ate your garnishing; this liquid has a very sweet taste. From your review I understand that you were here on the first evening. That evening the meat and fish dish on the menu was switched and corrected the next day.
When ordering the lamb as meat dish in this 6 course menu, you will get two bones. We are very sorry that this gave you a sour taste and felt ripped off. I can definitely tell you that we didn’t ripped you off with a 6 course menu for Nafl. 54,- ( US. 30.33) incl. taxes. Of course this is a special Restaurant week price and not regularly.

You are always welcome at Sjalotte and we hope we can make it up with you some day!

Kind regards,

Team of Sjalotte

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Yesterday we went to “The taste of Sjalotte”, to enjoy a 6 course menu @ Floris Suite Hotel.

The high points of my meal was the,
“Rack of Lamb”, with jerk marinated, herb and nut crusted, nesting of sweet potato, island veggies, topped with Charon sauce.

It is always a pleasure to see how the chef kok Steve together with his crew prepare the most creative dishes, served out by very friendly and good trained waiters and waitresses.

Thank you Gina for mentioning your experience during "The taste of Sjalotte". We are very happy you enjoyed the food and the service.
We hope to serve you soon again!

Kind regards,