“good for a 4 star” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 33 Hotels in Willemstad
Toronto, Canada
“good for a 4 star”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

stayed at this hotel jan 6 to 13th 2013 . this was a great location i loved the pool , hotel staff were friendly and the room was cleaned early. would visit this hotel again. get the ocean front room it is great to watch the ships come in.

Room Tip: ocean front only room worth while.
4 Thank susangray29

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Czech first
Radlett, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

We stayed for ten days at this hotel over the New Year. Our booking was at the last moment as we had problems with another hotel. Therefore we could only get a suite at an enormous price.We arrived to find a Las Vegas type atmosphere with a very loud, garish casino open to the the reception area. Quite a shock! We were put into a suite without a balcony next to a side road and were kept awake most of the first night.After complaining we were upgraded into a larger suite with a large balcony overlooking the sea.This was very good but so it should have been for the price especially as we had wasted a night.
The breakfast after asking was included. The quality was quite good but often had a long wait.Room service food was awful but the restaurant on the beach good.
The beach which is man made is delightful although rather lacking in beds.
The position of the hotel is very convenient to walk into the town and restaurants.
Service was extremely friendly although quite laid back but it is the Carribean !
Overall we had a great time despite the high cost and problems.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank dennis_anthony
Oak Creek, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

I was pretty excited to go on my honeymoon here, and based on the numerous reviews on the great staff, I had high expectations. I was sorely disappointed. My husband and I did the all inclusive package for our honeymoon. I am glad I waitressed in my teenage years, because I had to be our own waitress on more than one occasion that the buffet. There would be 5-6 waitresses in the corner gabbing away while we sat for 20 minutes without drinks. I would have to go to the waitress station myself to get our drinks.

Also, every employee seems to have a different idea of what is included in the all-inclusive package. Certain people would say that certain brands of beer or alcohol or red bull were not included. Others would not. (Our bill did not charge us for any of these, so drink away!).

Their hotel booklet in the room says the coffee bar opens at 7am....more accurately is whenever they want, usually around 8 am. And the menu there shows mocha latte, caramel latte, vanilla latte. When ordering, they have none of those flavors. So, what do you have, we ask. Black coffee. The infinity bar states they start serving food at 10 am. I go there on our last day before check out to order, and they don't start serving food until 11 am. Which is fine, just don't post one thing and then do another. And every food places is painfully slow. Be prepared to wait about 45 minutes for a burger, and plan out 2-3 hours of your night for dinner.

Finally, the room booklets and website boasted a spa. When we inquired, it has been closed down. Not a huge deal, just wanted to make people aware that they do not have a spa anymore.

So, now the positives. The beds are really comfortable. The bell boy staff are definitely the most friendly and knowledgeable of the staff there. Most of the staff were nice people, just kind of clueless about their jobs and the all-inclusive package. We liked the location of the resort in that we could walk to town to do things and didn't have to pay cab fare. The infinity beach is pretty cool, and we never had trouble finding a tiki hut to sit.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony, and preferrably, an ocean view room. The rooms across from our ocean vie...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank mrsasch
Toronto Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2013

I recently stayed at this lovely hotel for one week. I selected the Renaissance because I had been in Curacao via ship on three prior occasions and always admired the colourful resort and the fabulous infinity pool. The location is perfect and central to the downtown tourist sites, entertainment and shopping areas. Most of the staff was wonderful and readily willing to help. We received some great advice and hints about the island.

Knowing that it was an expensive island for food and drinks, I purchased an all inclusive package for myself and my two adult children. We checked into the hotel and had the package explained to us. I have been to all inclusives throughout the Caribbean and this was considerably different. There was one buffet type restaurant, a bar, the Espresso coffee shop, the pool bar and the sit down Cru restaurant with specified hours for eating. We received a list of what was included and what was not included in our all inclusive. The liquor list was adequate and contained one type of beer. There were no wrist bands. We found out that we would be receiving receipts for everything and that these would require signing each time we selected any food or drink service. I found this stressful and time consuming at first. We sometimes sat in the buffet waiting to sign our bill so that we could move on. These receipts were then turned in to the front desk but we were never charged since we were all inclusive although I did go to the desk to check from time to time. Further, because of the large cost of the meals and charges on these bills, I was confused as to tipping procedure. I noted that there was a 15% service charge already added. I left cash tips rather than add anything else to the bill. The buffet food was fine albeit predictable. We ate at the Cru restaurant on three occasions but since there was only one vegetarian option for my children, it became a bit tiresome.

The salt water infinity pool was more like a beach than a pool. It was particularly nice since there was no concern about wildlife under the water. It was easy to get towels and chairs and the food at the beach bar was great. The staff got to know us and ran a tab rather than make us sign for every food and drink order. We appreciated that. The food choices were most to our taste at this location. Particularly interesting was watching the movement of the massive ships in and out of the bay.

The hotel has a modern gym, Budget car rental and a tour office. There was some entertainment...a band in the lobby, a smokey casino, and a movie theater on the grounds.

We had a great week at the Renaissance. I would return here, knowing now what to expect.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
16 Thank Hildetoronto
Hershey, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2013

This hotel was excellent overall with a good location and amenities as needed. Free WiFi was available in the lobby or at Starbucks across the street. Rooms were clean and turned daily with new towels and toiletries. Our shower became slightly clogged one day and was resolved by the cleaning staff by the next day. The infinity pool is amazing and the largest I've seen at a hotel. The location is excellent right near the canal, though the local restaurants are very pricey. The breakfast buffet is a good value at about $20 USD for all-you-can eat.

The only downfall was the lack of good front desk staff. With one exception, all of the staff we talked to knew little about the surrounding area. Here are some examples:

Q: Where is there a local supermarket?
A: No idea. Eventually we were sent to "Colon", which was a several block walk. We made this trek in the rain. A day later a local told us about Arti's supermarket, which was a block away and just across from the bus stops.

Q: Where is there scuba diving?
A: No idea, seriously. It took 5 workers before someone said "try the marina". Fortunately we knew about Ocean Adventures at the marina already. One worker didn't know if the sea aquarium/marina was in walking distance or not (it isn't).

Q: Where are there good places to eat?
A: Again, no idea. Most resort hotels have a list of local restaurants, what type of food their serve, price range, and location. No such thing existed here. Staff had no training or knowledge of local restaurants. We ended up using TripAdvisor via the WiFi to find places.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank lamb0176
St. Charles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located in town with walking access to shops, restaurants, and nightlife. I was traveling with my college age son. We could easily explore separate interests when we wanted to. I loved sitting by the infinity pool watching the ships entering and leaving the harbor. The staff were very friendly and often asked how our event of the day went. The king sized room was large enough to accommodate a roll away bed for my son. We spent 10 nights and are talking about going back next year.

Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Wendy M
La Paz, Bolivia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013

I just returned from a six day stay at the Renaissance in Curacao. Syaff was warm and helpful from check in to check out and more. The room was very good, we stayed at an ocean view balcony king size bed room. Great view, normal, clean room. The pool is rather small, and the infinity beach is nice to have, although we did not spend any time on it, as we drove around Curacao and found amazing beaches. Breakfast was very good and varied. One night we ordered room service and it was quick and yummy!
The day we left, we checked out by noon but our flight did not leave until 7:00 p.m so we planned to spend the day at a nearby beach and asked if the hotel had shower facilities so we could shower after a day at the beach(we left our luggage at the hotel) They were SUPER kind and offered us a room just to take a shower at no charge even after we had checked out!!!! Is this NICE or what???
The only negative thing I can mention about our stay was the strong cigarette smell in the lobby, given they the casino is next to the lobby...it smelled all day...
I would definitively go back to the Renaissance!

Room Tip: Ocean view balcony room was nice, great view, amazing to see cruise ships arrive every day!
3 Thank ceciQ-63
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#3 of 33 in Willemstad
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!