“We loved this hotel!”

Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Portland, ME
“We loved this hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

Just got back to Maine from our first trip to Curacao and The Renaissance. Likes (in no order): 1. Convenient location with shopping, restaurants and bars all within walking distance. No need to rent a car unless you want to explore the island. 2. Large, nicely decorated rooms with whisper quiet air-conditioning. In fact, I didn't hear any sounds at night, a first at any hotel for me. 3. I usually want to stay on the beach and was concerned about the man-made beach pool here but it's one of the best amenities at any hotel I've visited. Go out the rear door of the hotel and you're right on the private beach with plenty of shade, loungers and your own beach bar & al fresco restaurant. The "pool" is more like an ocean lagoon with a nice sandy bottom and salt water. We loved swimming to the infinity edge of the pool and watching the ships going into the harbor channel. I would return to this hotel for the beach-pool alone. 4. Not really an All-Inclusive Hotel but has the option and it worked out well. I recommend it, as long as you don't mind taking your meals at the limited available restaurants. 5. Excellent breakfast & lunch buffet, even for the health-conscious eater. 6. Excellent gym. 7.Very friendly and helpful staff. The hostess at the main Nautilus Restaurant remembered my name after the first day. 8.The casino is right in the lobby so the gamblers often went from the beach to the casino and back to the beach very easily. Dislikes: 1. The smoke from the casino permeates the lobby and almost to the second floor. Keep those lobby doors closed and let them go through the casino door, Renaissance! 2.The All-Inclusive option is great for breakfast, lunch & drinks but only 3 restaurant options for dinner (we went off campus twice). 3. The Nautilus outdoor terrace is plain & open to the many cruise-shippers walking by. Put a low wall and some plants around it, Renaissance! 4.The food service at the beach bar is slow so allow for it. Bottomline: We loved this hotel and would go back to The Renaissance Curacao in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money for an ocean-front room with balcony. It's worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BeachSeeker2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Czech first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

Unless you are looking for secluded beaches, this hotel is in perfect location. It also has a private beach with infinity salt-water pool. While prices at the hotel are slightly on high side, you can safely walk to many restaurants around the hotel ( and charge dinner to your room )
You may get confused with the 15% service charge, but if you add 5% for GOOD service, that's all the tip needed. We found service good at the hotel and around. My wife likes shopping, and after few godd deals she got on St Marteen couple years ago, we expected the same Dutch merchant deals on Curacao...No such luck...You cannot barter, jewerly shop owner won't offer you free Heineken and selection is not as wide. So forget the shopping in Willemstad. We found great supermarket behind the bus station outside the hotel, bought some Pinot Grigio and sat on our 4th floor balcony overseeing the action at the pool/beach.
Weather in Curacao was perfect, with constant breeze from the sea and temperatures hardly higher than 30C....It got little cooler when some clouds rolled in...but no rain. Overall perfect place.....

Room Tip: Go for high (4th floor) facing the sea...you will have option of room ( on left ) overlooking pool o...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RenePavol
Lone Tree, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

As a centrally located property in Willemstad, this hotel is surrounded by restaurants and all sorts of tourist traps. Hotel is nicely maintained but the lobby reeks with cigarette smoke from the casino, Linger for a few minutes in the lobby and your clothes smell of smoke. Starbucks at the corner outside the hotel is a much more pleasant (and healthier) place to lounge than the hotel lobby. Be very careful of the room you reserve. There are lower priced inside facing rooms with windows that open up to an indoor carpeted atrium that converts into a ballroom/exhibition hall. If you get any of these rooms, you will never see daylight from your room. Depending on the days of your stay, scenery from ocean view rooms could be blocked by docked cruise ships that cycle almost every day.

I find the "fake beach" quite a nice experience. It offered a nice protected environment free from the waves and rocks but gives the nice feel of a real beach. Service, food and drinks were all great. Oh... internet access is available too.

Room Tip: Reserve an ocean view room when contemplating on staying in this hotel. It will make a significant...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank AlinDenver
Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

This place has an infinity pool that is heated, with sand, overlooking harbor....GREAT LOCATION and amazing pool!!!! AWESOME PLACE I would hightly recomend it...great service as well and the casino was small but nice (no poker)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank prouss134439
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013

My partner and I spent one week at the Renaissance in Curacao at the end of February 2013. The hotel is great - staff is very responsive, rooms are clean and, Wi-Fi available in several public areas. We got there expecting to be disappointed by the fake beach - which we were at the very beginning BUT the more we used it the more we liked it: the view is amazing, the water is a little warmer then the ocean I imagine, plenty of towel always available, good service (drinks, food, internet available), plenty of chairs/couches at all times.

As for the surroundings, it doesn't get better that this: the hotel is located right next to Rif Fort - a lovely place packed with good restaurants, bars (they even showed UFC PPV live on Saturday at one of the bars), patios and stores. Downtown Willemstad is 7-10 minutes walking distance. Although the food at the 2 restaurants in the hotel is good I strongly recommend the non-all inclusive option. Cru & Indi Spices were our favorite lunch/dinner spots, while the a-la-carte menu at Nautilus (in the hotel) is probably the best option for breakfast.

The casino in the hotel is nice, however they don't have NLH poker tables. I've read negative reviews re: smoke from the casino, but it's really not bad at all. You can smell the smoke a little in the Lobby but that's it. The whole area including the casino are well ventilated.

Overall - great experience and will likely go back one day.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TO77
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

We had a wonderful experience staying at the beautiful Renaissance Resort & Casino in Curaçao! The staff was very friendly and always helpful when attending to our needs. The Resort has the ultimate location and amenities for guests staying in Curaçao. The Concierge and Business Lounge on the second floor made our trip more efficient and delightful for business tasks. I highly recommend staying here whenever choosing your Curaçao Resort destination.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DWhite27
Chaguanas, Trinidad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

This was our first trip to Curacao and we wanted to enjoy it to the max! Renaissance was a great choice we made, the hotel was very impressive! Close to the main shopping area and great view of the ocean. My family and I went with the all inclusive package and have no regrets. Being a vegetarian, I am always worried about what the hotel will offer me to eat. I was stocked when I saw the range of different items I can eat, even if I did not like what the buffet offered I can order a la carte. The only problem that we occured was when we first got to the hotel, with reference to understanding how the all inclusive worked. The all inclusive is limited too the resturants that are chosen for breakfast, lunch and dinner.... After a day or two we got the hang of and I ended up gaining 3pounds at the end of my trip! lol The only other down fall was that I had to sign bills for everything! I would say overall it was a great stay, very helpful staff and beautiful hotel. If I plan on going back to Curacao, Renaissance is the only place I will stay!:)

Room Tip: When booking ask for a room on the second floor, my room number was 205. It was great because the ca...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank rimchick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
BijBlauw
BijBlauw
#3 of 32 in Willemstad
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!