“Great Location & Great "Beach"”

Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed 6 December 2010

I stayed at the Renaissance for six days in November 2010. As it was the beginning of the rainy season/over U.S. Thanksgiving, I got a great deal on the room. Considering the cost was equivalent to what I'd paid to visit other Caribbean destinations, the amenities here were very good. The location in Willemstad could really not be beat - the whole Renaissance complex is well-integrated and a big destination for the cruise passengers, who dock right next to the resort and have to walk through its shopping complex to get into town.

Check-in went really smoothly & quickly, and I was given ice-cold bottled water as soon as I stepped into the lobby. The clerk also told me that I had a $100 beverage credit, which was a pleasant surprise!

My room was a "resort view," so I looked out onto the shopping complex, basically. It wasn't a beach view, but could have been much worse (the interior "courtyard" views, for instance). The room itself was spacious and pretty tastefully done, though the color combinations are *very* bright, here and throughout the hotel. The bed was incredibly comfortable, and the provided robes & slippers plus Aveda bathroom products were very nice. A flat screen TV featured American (NYC) television stations, for when the weather was uncooperative. [There's a nice, modern cinema in the complex, too - so catching a first-run movie is easy, and cheap!]

As others have noted, the infinity beach/pool is really the highlight of the resort. The beach bar staff were very friendly, and the area itself was very well-maintained. Towels were big and plentiful. I especially enjoyed sitting on the beach during sunset.

The fitness center is also AMAZING. It's got lots of modern machines, each with its own television screen and headphone plug-in.

Overall, the service here was very good - at check-in and when ordering room service, everyone was polite and attentive. The maid staff acknowledged the "do not disturb," even late in the day - and they were quick to swoop in when alerted that service was requested. The evening before my early-morning departure, the staff called to let me know they could reserve a taxi for me and to check to see if anything had gone wrong during my stay. I thought that was a very nice gesture that is rather uncommon. The only minor hiccup with my stay came at check-out: there was no trained attendant on duty, so one of the restaurant's breakfast attendants was working the front desk, processing my check-out. She was on the phone with the regular attendant, who was home sick, talking her through each step; it took a bit longer than normal, but everything was worked out fine.

I would absolutely recommend the Renaissance to others looking for a great place to stay in Curacao.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank hannah98
Write a ReviewReviews (1,776)

Reviewed 17 November 2010

I had a great time at this hotel, the only downside I found was checking in. We arrived in Curacao at 12pm, and tried to checkin around 1pm. They said all rooms had to be cleaned and try back around 4pm. I tried at 3 and 4pm. Nothing. Again at 5pm, still waiting to checkin and was told they weren't sure when it'll be ready. I said 6pm I hope it'll be ready. They it should be done by then. I finally checked in at 6pm! This ruined my first day in Curacao, but they offered to take my bags, and 2 free drinks so it wasn't entirely ruined but stayed nearby. There was about 4 other couples trying to check in who were on our flight also, same issue. They should really be aware who is checking in. Seems a bit of mismanagement there.

Pools are great, both are infinity pools. One seems it's taking in the water from the ocean and being filtered. I loved it tho, very warm and comfortable. The edge tho was slimy, should be cleaned off. Beach towels are provided, and you can take one or two as you wish. Once there was no towels though.

Breakfast is from 7-11am, overall great selection of foods.

Beds are comfortable, and the cleaning crew does their job well.
Good selection of US TV channels and a great tourism channel.

Self parking is free, use to be $10 a day. So just a head sup for anyone renting a car like
i did. It's in the garage across from the hotel.

Casino at hotel is open from 10am-4am each day.

Outside noise inside hotel room was noticeable, my room was facing the road near the lobby. I heard cars at night who had loud sound systems, or noisy mufflers. Other noise issues were hearing other tv's from the adjacent room. Minimal hallway noise. Overall, it didn't affect me, I sleep like a rock and was ok for me. For some, bring earplugs if your a very light sleeper.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2010

In the value of enjoyment at this hotel. If you can't get an oceanview room or if that's not important this hotel is great. If on the otherhand having interior curtains as the third wall is not what you envisioned in a caribbean stay , then don't stay at this hotel.

The beach --dubbed fake beach --by me and my partner is cleverly built on the roof of the shopping center but it is exactly like a real beach; with lots of sand; palm huts and trees leading into a very pleasantly warm sand salt water pool that you can touch throughout.
This hotel offers both all inclusive and non inclusive rates and it does make a difference in awarding tips and the attitude of the servers. Your tab contains a 15 percent service chg and a 5 percent tax on top of that. In my situation I can't tip on top of that even though i did sometimes; but the attitude of the staff varies depending on whether they are tipped or not. The Hotel should remove gratuity from the tab if they have a 20 percent up charge from menu prices.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank veracruzz
Reviewed 11 November 2010

I stayed here for 3 nights before and 3 nights after my one week condo vacation.
Had a room both times on the 4th floor, 1st time facing the parking garage, 2nd time facing the ballfield and ocean on the west end with a balcony.
I got this hotel as a "Top Secret" hotel. Including taxes and fees it was $103.54 USD per night.
We had the breakfast buffet twice and the lunch buffet once. Food quality and quantity was good. The rest of the time we ate at the various restaurants around town...
Iguana, Anchor, Rib Factory, and I Caramba in the downtown area and a bit further away was Larry's in Salina
Dinner prices averaged about $25.00 per person.
The saltwater infinity pool and beach were awesome.
The air conditioning was nice and quiet.
The beds were a bit soft for my liking along with the feather pillows.
Our room was always made up promptly - especially if you hang out the service requested tag as you leave.
Self parking in the parking garage across the street is free. It can be crowded on the weekends. The elevator is at the end towards the RIF fort, but there are stairs at the hotel end.
The lobby has doors for three elevators. I think the middle door was there for looks as there is no middle door on floors 2, 3 or 4. The elevator closest to the bar was the only one working and was very slow.... We only took it going up and then walked down.
The 3rd elevator (closest to the stairs) had a "Temporarily Out of Order" sign on it both time we were there.
The hotel does have wired internet access in the rooms and wireless in the lobby.
However, it is $15.00 USD per DAY. If you walk into RIF Fort and sit near the Ice Cream or Crepe stores, they have FREE wifi.

3  Thank dmills1956
Reviewed 27 October 2010

We stayed at Renaissance Resort for 4 nights in mid-October for our honeymoon and the stay was wonderful! To start off with the room:

Nice size, beautiful vibrant colors, good size balcony. Our room was on the end of the hotel and technically though an "Island King" to overlook the city, being on the end we got a great view of the ocean and dock as well. The bed is super comfy - firm enough for support but with a nice two inch pillowtop for softness you can sink into =). Nice sized bathroom. I really enjoyed the bathroom mirror and lightning. The shower had good pressure and a curved curtain rod so the curtain wouldn't billow up and stick to you. It did unnerve me that the toilet was a low-flow toilet so just fair warning! =)

Location to the city is great - so close to the Rif Fort shopping center and restaurants. The shopping is more on the luxurious side (Max Mara, Mango, multiple jewelery shops, Guess, etc) but there's a nice mix of eateries and restaurants. It's nice having several restaurants so close by because some close at 11 whereas it seemed a lot of the rest of the city closed shop at 6.

The staff is nice and helpful, especially those at the front desk. We only ate breakfast once there; the buffet was had great food - not bad for USD$40 for 2 ppl considering we could get seconds or thirds or stay for however long we wanted. Service was adequate, not crazy on top of it but not awful either. People have to realize also a lot of tropical places are on "island time" lol so just relax! =)

I wasn't really used to so many additional charges like local calls from our hotel phone, the multiple service charges plus high tax charges, but it seemed like it was like that all over the island =/.

The salt water infinity pool was amazing! I loved that it mimicked a real beach without being as rocky as many other Curacao beaches. Fantastic aspect! I wasn't used to the pool being so far away from the elevators and therefore our room but the benefit was the interior of the hotel stayed nice and clean, no sand being tracked in.

Reviewed 25 October 2010

We went to the Renaissance because we know Curacao and wanted to try the "new" hotel for the pools and sea view mainly. We were not disappointed as we upgraded to the Sea View Room (well worth it) and loved watching the ships go in and out through the town. We also had a cruise ship dock outside our room one day which was entertaining to us.
The hotel itself was Ok. Service in restaurant was a bit hit and miss but buffet breakfasts were good quality and a-la-carte food at dinner one night was excellent. Otherwise we ate out. Loved the pool and "beach". My main gripe was that our room was not serviced until after 5pm on 4 nights out of 5 we were there and usually just when we were getting showered and ready to go out at night. I also found the beds too soft and the air-conditioning very noisy and "breezy" right onto the bed. This was, for us, not good. On our last night I actually declined the service and just asked for some fresh towels so we could get ready to go out for dinner. Apart from this, I would stay again mainly for the location.

1  Thank Clare B
Reviewed 21 October 2010

The facility was spotless, the breakfast buffet was nice but redundant. The food otherwise at the hotel was not very good. The infinity pool/beach was much nicer than I anticipated. You really feel as if you are on a private beach and you don't have to worry about any sea critters. The area is quite busy with the cruise ships and the attached mall, so if you want a secluded area, this is not the place. The staff were wonderful.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#2 of 32 in Willemstad
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Blue Bay Curacao Golf & Beach Resort
Blue Bay Curacao Golf & Beach Re...
#1 of 1 in Dorp Sint Michiel
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!