“Rooms are Damp and Smell Funny..” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort

Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Willemstad
Brampton, Canada
“Rooms are Damp and Smell Funny..”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2011

I stayed in Kontiki for 4 days in October 2011 since my preferred resort was booked during this time frame. The resort is definitely a 3 star as was advsertised, and the rooms were relatively comfortable, however, I found that they were very damp and had a strange odour that smelled of sewage. I stayed in 3 different rooms over the 4 days as my original room's air conditioning broke down so I was moved to an ocean view for one night, then moved again to a garden view room, all 3 rooms had the same smell and dampness.

The resort itself and the beach are nice enough, but it is noisy on Wed and Fri nights so if you want to relax in peace and quiet avoid this resort.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank she1707

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Aurora, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

The only reason I even rated this as one dot is because the grounds are beautiful. Other than that, this place was a complete disappointment! We requested an ocean view room which we got but the only view of the ocean we were able to see was from the bathroom window! The sound is terrible--there are "parties" on Fri & Sat nights on the beach and if you're trying to sleep those nights, forget it! If you have rooms booked above or next door, forget about sleeping then too! The rooms are not very sound proof at all. If you are looking for customer service, forget it! We selected this resort for our honeymoon and there was no indication of a honeymoon here--no champagne waiting for us, our "king bed" was actually two beds pushed together, made up with a king fitted sheet! Our shower leaked the entire 7 days we were there despite our complaints that the shower created a lake in our bathroom. When we attempted to compliment our servers at Cabana Beach to the manager, he had this "I don't really care" attitude and looked at us like we were aliens. Sure, we were in a different country, but geez, when you compliment staff, shouldn't a manager be excited?!?!?! Oh, and if you decide to eat at the Cabana restaurant or anywhere along that particular beach, allow 2 hours minimum--there is no such thing as "speedy" service. We had to request our bill serveral times to try to expedite leaving the restaurant. The day of check out, our internet was unavailable. I would think that they would wait until you actually check out to remove internet service. They also charge for any calls at all made from your room. I thought it was crappy that after all the money we spent at the resort (at Cabana Beach and booking the room at the resort for 7 nights), they would at least give us the $4 in telephone calls but that was not the case at all! Overall, I regret booking at this resort and it was a complete let down. Next time we travel to Curacao, we will book at the Marriott or Hilton.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank EmilyC625
Hoeven
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2011

Offered as a 4-star facility, the resort must be happy to achieve 3-star. Basic rooms poorly equipped, no services whatsoever (even no qualified personnel to overview swimming pools), low hygene standard, no adequate security facilities, no fitness club, no shopping facilities, poor noise abatement in rooms, poorly administerd room allocation (you have to struggle to get what you booked), extreme noisy open air restaurant with 4 nights per week till 3 AM banging "music".
DO NOT GO THERE, UNLESS YOU ARE THRILLED BY THIS REVIEW.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank charlotteHoeven
TerencevdValk, Guest Relations Manager at Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, 4 February 2011
Dear Ms Charlotte,

As of today I am the guest relation person from Kontiki Dive & Beach Resort. I was shocked by seeing your comment. And I am sorry for the experience that you had in our Resort. I have some questions concerning your stay at our Resort: What do you mean with poorly equipped ? No services ? Low hygene standard, No adequate security facilities ? Poorly adminsterd room allocation?. Regarding the music we indeed have 2x a week music at cabana. Wednesday: 9 dot 5 and on Fridays: Cabana disco show. Normally 9 dot 5 will end at 00:30 and on fridays till 02:00. I am sorry to read about your disappointed stay in our Resort.

I'd hope to get a message from you back, on this way we can use your feedback to work on our quality and service level.

Kind regards,

Terence Vd Valk
Kontiki Dive & Beach Resort
Guest relation

P.s do you also speak dutch ?
Tilburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2010

If have been to Kontiki dive and beach resort with my parents. it was really nice, because it is located in the next to the beach. Also the Cabana beach is very nice. It is a good lounge/chill restaurant with great jazz/lounge artists performing while enjoying something from the menu or drinking a nice cocktail.
The staff is really friendly, rooms are very atmospheric, you really experience the feeling of having vacation.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2010

Nice rooms, beautiful garden, attentive staff, but the noise is too much. The rooms have wooden walls and you can hear everything that goes on in the next room (we were lucky and only had neighboors for two nights and they were quiet). The Cabana Beach also provides a lot of noise. Disco on Friday night, live music on Saturday night and if Cabana doesn't have music, next door Mambo Beach takes over. A place for young people that want to party all night... WIFI only in the lobby, despite what it says online.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dutchies
Brabant
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2010

We just came back from our vacation to Curaçao.
We stayed in Kontiki.
We were told before we came that it could be that you would here the music from mambo beach really loud in the weekends.
So we asked to our travel agency if they could ask for a nice and quiet room. and we got it.
the room was great. we could walk out of our room right in the swimming pool! the view was amazing! a tropical garden with tropical birds were surrounding us. My daughter had a great time on the beach, playing. The beach is great for small children. And we could relax on the lounge beds.
We all had a great time and we are coming back next time!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank MissBrabant
Curcao
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2010

Straight to the point.. $180 a night, discraceful welcome and service. The staff have a "I dont give a crap" attitude. Cable TV has 2 chanels that work. King size bed advertised is really two singles put together and when asked for a "real" bed the reply "well thats all we have so I cant help", wow thank you I will enjoy my next two nights falling between the crack of the beds. When asked for ice I was told to go down to the bar some distance away, I then waited at the bar with a bunch of drunks trying to get service from the single barman trying to serve 30 people. Went back to my room only to find a "man" looking through the window at my girl friend. When I threaten to break his nose he accuses me of been racist. To top it off go down to have breakfast the next day only to be met by a rude dutch girl that looked hung over and basically ignored us..
Oh and if you think the wireless internet works in your room.... think again.
These people lack any sense of intelligence, service or sense of urgency. I dont ask for much when I travel, some basic like a happy attiude and "real" bed, some ice and SOME [--] SECURITY.
If you value your sanity and want a relaxing time stay away from this place.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple