“Beautiful Beaches, So-so Service”
Review of Avila Beach Hotel

Avila Beach Hotel
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed 3 December 2011

The Avila has fantastic views from their beaches. The beaches aren't large, but are absolutely beautiful. We were there in November and the beaches were never crowded. They also have several great amenities on site: a car rental desk, a tourism desk where you can sign up for activities, a pool, 3 small beaches, 5 different small restaurants and/or bars. The food at these establishments was generally pretty good. The rooms were fine. Our room had a frosted glass wall between the bedroom and bathroom which meant that the door didn't have a typical latch and would never close completely. The room's HVAC system also brought in smokey air at times. The service was a bit slow at times from the front desk and from the restaurants. Overall, we would recommend it based on the beaches, the quality of the food and the amenities. Just know that there are a few wrinkles.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JenandAdam1
Write a ReviewReviews (1,290)

Reviewed 30 November 2011

Well its not luxury as advertised. Everything closes at midnight.... so i guess they want you to go out! The breakfast is good though but it cost $17.

• Stayed: November 2011
AvilaRep, Owner at Avila Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2011

Dear guest, thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Avila Hotel with us, all feedback is welcomed as we strive for excellence in service and quality.
Warmest regards,
The Avila Team

Reviewed 29 November 2011

I spent 5 nights at the hotel and loved every second. The room was clean and accommodating, not over the top but very functional with a cooktop, fridge and eating utensils.
Located 15 minutes walking distance from downtown Willemstad it was close to several very good restaurants (less than 5 min walking a very swanky outdoor beach lounge club and both a mini mart and supermarket.

The onsite food was good with a few different options ( restaurant, coffee shop and beach bar with hot food cooked to order) Themed dinners ever night and a fantastic Sunday brunch. Modern gym, spa (sauna, jacuzzi, mani/pedi/facials onsite) Pool and two fantastic coves for swimming.

Very friendly, very knowledgeable staff. We used taxis to get to further away spots and even used a chauffeur and driver for an afternoon of errands. Its a smaller property than the larger chains but you get such personalized service its worth it.

The Blues Lounge had the most amazing live bands we have ever heard. In my opinion, the prices were very reasonable and we didn't feel like we were getting ripped off for anything.
The grounds of the resort are gorgeous, very lush and in full bloom ( we were there Thanksgiving/2011) The Octagon museum is located on the resort as well.

Wired internet access in the rooms and very good wi-fi when out of your room for free. Lots of beach chairs and plenty options for lounging.

Room Tip: The Villas are enormous and a great value!!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mrsmatrimony

Dear Avila guest,
We truly appreciate the fact that you took your time to share your postive experience at the Avila hotel during your recent stay!
As such we hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
Warmest regards,
The Avila Team

Reviewed 25 November 2011

I chose the Avila hotel for a sudden business trip to Curaçao. I made reservations on the Avila Beach Hotel website, for 5 nights starting on the very next day. When I arrived the next day, they had no record of my reservations, and said they did not have space for me for all 5 night. They were able to check me in for the first few nights. But later, somehow, they managed to rearrange other guests so that I could remain in my room all 5 nights. I was very grateful for that.

The price was excellent, the location is very convenient (though the neighborhood is grim and a bit scary at night if you're by yourself)/

The hotel is mostly spotless (I did get some flooding into my room whenever it rained), the room clean and perfectly comfortable.

The food in the restaurants was not ideal for me (I am a vegetarian) so I ended up having pasta a lot, but I am not complaining. The breakfast buffet is extensive, though the food tasted a bit bland (soggy eggs). I do recommend sitting at the Blues bar, overlooking the Caribbean water: great environment. Service was always excellent.

No WiFi in the rooms, but the cable Internet was reliable and high speed. Internet access through the WiFi in the lobby comes and goes.

The beach, though small (artificial?) is OK. The water is clean and warm. The snorkeling is quite good, considering you're just steps from your hotel room (saw many lobsters, an octopus, a tuna fish, and green-glowing algae at night.) Do bring snorkeling gear: there's nowhere to rent or buy any.

The vast majority of the guests are Dutch; the staff is multilingual (English is not a problem.)

This may sound silly, but the only thing I missed was a foot bath to clear the sand off my feet and sandals after leaving the beach.

I found Curaçao a rather underwhelming Caribbean island: I would not come here for vacation (I was there on business). It is only thanks to my stay at the Avila Beach Hotel that my visit to Curaçao was truly enjoyable.

Room Tip: In the main wing, you can't see the water from many rooms that face the sea, because of the buil...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank DavideAndrea
Reviewed 21 November 2011

This hotel is very convenient to visit the town. It is located in a surprising neighborhood within walking distance to the historic town. The walk is actually very interesting as you go through different neighbors. Some will give you a nostalgic feeling while others are being renovated or developed. Back to the hotel, the two beaches are very small but beautiful with direct access to a small reef for snorkeling. The belle Alliance deluxe rooms have the most character but some are very outdated and definitely need renovation. The octagon superior rooms are recent with a contemporary design but I found it a bit cheapy inside and lack of character. Check the rooms before unpacking! We loved the setup of the Blues restaurant on the water. Food was good but overpriced as everywhere on the Island. They have good live music. The Cafe on the beach has very limited food choice and nothing to talk about beside a nice setup. I would have liked to see more grilled fish options in this place. Staff were nice, friendly and helpful. It's probably the best hotel around for visiting the historic town and enjoying a nice beach at the same time all in a private lovely setup.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MabuhayNYC
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Stayed 5 days, enjoyed every minute. Great location, close to town, casinos and fabulous restaurants 2 blocks away. The Blues wing rooms felt as if we were floating in the Caribbean sea. The beach was spectacular with ample service from bar. Gym was modern with view of Caribbean , sauna , steam and hot tub.

• Stayed: October 2011
4  Thank SSilverman
Reviewed 16 October 2011

My fiancee and I just returned from a wonderful visit to Curacao and a great stay at the Avila Beach Hotel. We both read all of the Trip Advisor reviews for the various hotel options on the island before making our lodging choice. We wanted a hotel on the water and one that would offer us a more culturally authentic experience than we would expect from one of the big chain resorts. We found both at the Avila. We stayed in the Octagon Wing with a balcony overlooking both the protected cove and the stunning ocean beyond. Our room was spacious, well appointed and immaculately clean throughout our stay. The only negative surprise was that the primary electrical service was not 115 AC as we had read was prevalent in Curacao. Fortunately, the great bellman who checked us in pointed out that the television power had a conversion transformer attached, so we could charge our various electronic 'toys", one at a time, through that device...no big deal.

The staff was engaging and responsive very much in the island way...personal and low key without a hint of "robot-training". They helped with directions, restaurant suggestions, best snorkeling beaches and never failed us in any way. We tried the various restaurant offerings for breakfast and dinner and found the food to be very good as was the service. Be sure to visit the Blues Restaurant on Jazz night or Burger night...great music in a great setting over the water.

We never had a problem securing lounges on which to sun and found the private cove to be a great setting in which to watch a sunset, warm up our snorkeling skills before venturing out to more aggressive sites, or simply to cool off during the heat of the day.

We want to also recognize one off-resort restaurant in particular. It is called Fishalicious and is a short few minute walk from the Avila. The service was outstanding, the wine selection extensive and the food was creative and simply delicious. The hotel made reservations for us, which was appreciated as the place was extremely busy on a Thursday night.

We added the romance package to our stay and my fiancee loved the rose petals sprinkled on the bed and bath upon our arrival as well as the champagne and wine chilled and waiting for us. The package included a romantic couples massage which we chose to have delivered outdoors -- up in the tower above the Blues Wing, with the sight, sound and smells of the ocean below adding to the experience. During our massage, our masseuses began to talk excitedly and pointed out to us a pod of dolphins swimming right offshore. It was made clear to us that this was an extremely unusual sight...we felt very special and fortunate!

The vast majority of the resort guests we encountered were from the Netherlands, which when combined with the similarly international flavor of the Avila, allowed both of us Americans to escape a "visit to America, but in Curacao".

Lastly, my fiancee and I had hopes for holding an informal "commitment ceremony" for ourselves while visiting the island. We made contact with the hotel prior to our arrival with this special request and, to our extreme pleasure, found that the Resort GM, Paul, and head of Catering, Zatessa, had arranged for a friend of the resort, Michael, to conduct such a sunset ceremony for us on the second night of our stay. They provided champagne, great hors d'oeuvres and a private beach-front setting. Zatessa even stayed during the ceremony to act as our photographer. It was a very special experience for two lovers and we can't thank the Avila staff enough for accommodating our middle-aged silliness in such a warm and wonderful way.

All in all, the Avila Beach Hotel added immensely to our first Curacao visit!

Room Tip: The Octagon Wing Deluxe has great views, spacious rooms and a small kitchenette (with refrigerator...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bernie M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#2 of 32 in Willemstad
Blue Bay Curacao Golf & Beach Resort
Blue Bay Curacao Golf & Beach Re...
#1 of 1 in Dorp Sint Michiel
BijBlauw
BijBlauw
#4 of 32 in Willemstad
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Avila Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!