“Avila has it all!”

Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
butterfly2deb
“Avila has it all!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2009

The staff was very accommodating. Freddira, at the front desk, was super sweet. She took extra time to show us around the entire hotel. They have different phases of their hotel that suits anyone. The Blues Wing rooms are like little bungalows. The Octagon Wing which was very modern, contemporary and beautiful. The beach is beautiful and you can snorkel there, it is beautiful. We rented a car for our duration (10 days) and explored the island. We checked out quite a few hotels to make sure we made the right choice and we found that we did, by a long shot! They have two bars with two different menus, so there is something for everyone. We ate dinner at the Belle Terrace and it was great food! At the spa enjoy a relaxing massage and at the gym, make sure you don’t miss out on the steam sauna and outdoor hot tub! If you happen to visit the Blues Restaurant, don’t leave there without trying the escargot salad. Best vacation, by far, for both my husband and I.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank butterfly2deb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
aruba
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2009

Curacao is a lovely island with very friendly people.
Avila Hotel is walking distance from the colorful, dutch looking, downtown.
It has a wonderful beach with a great pool bar where Ella serves (with a friendly smile) the best wraps ever.
sitting there while the sun is setting with a glass of cold white wine..after we had a wonderful massage at the brand new spa.....our honeymoon all over again. it was very romantic.
The rooms are ultra modern in the new wing and we loved Farley. Wish i could have taken him home with me. the most hospitable manager ever.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank happygoluckyaruba
berlin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2009

Arrived at the Hotel after spending another beautiful week at the Amsterdamm Manor Beach in Aruba,which at the time was a 3* now upgraded to 4*, but with a 5*service. Avila beach 5* with a 1* service. Reception staff not at all friendly, ignore you when you are standing at the desk and then finally acknowledge you only to tell you room is not ready even though it is 14hrs and tell you ,you will have to wait another 2 hrs, to go to the beach bar and get something to eat, limited menu, restaurant on pier had just closed for lunch even though people still eating do not offer to feed you, beach bar staff do not greet you ,too busy joking around, took 15mins to be served, when they hear you are English even more impolite. Food, even though only snacks took over half an hour and then was stone cold and extremly expensive for what it was. 2 rooms booked , one in main house, nice room but bathroom abit on the shoody side. Rooms over the water very nice but badly built. Nice little bay and I do mean little, Octagonal wing had just been built but no one in them yet, thank goodness, as the place would have been too crowded with guests with all the new rooms, also new style of building didn't match the nice Colonial style of the main house. Didn't try the food on the pier but looked a very nice selection, building works going on outside of the hotel, sure it will be nice when funished, good 20mins walk into town. Had again problems with reception staff, was advised to buy a phone card from reception for calling home as from hotel can be expensive. Was informed all sold out and because of being new year would not be getting anymore, was advised only 2$ per minute to call from hotel room to England, called home new years day, made 3 calls around 15mins each and when we checked out was charged over $300, asked to speak to the manageress and when I said that the member of staff had told us was only $2 per minute, was rudly told that was not the case and that we shd have bought a telephone card, explain we had tried to do that but they hadn't got enough in stock, she then said she would take the tax off but was still $250, the most expensive 45min call in the world.
One thing the hotel cannot do anything about but plays a big part in whether you enjoy a holiday or not is the other guests around you and I have to say 99% were Dutch and I have never met such a unfriendly group of guests anywhere else in all the years I have been traveling. Not one person said Happy New Year, even when it was said to them, you got a dirty look. Not a hotel for anyone but the Dutch.

• Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
4 Thank radarandpolly
Harmelen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2009

Who would have thought we would be enjoying opera in Curacao! But that is what we did! We chose the Avila Hotel for a relaxing vacation in the sun, but were surprised by nights of wonderful music! For their 60th anniversary the management had flown in 6 stars from Holland and we enjoyed wonderful performances by fantastic stars! It was a stay to remember and we were truly confused by some of the previous comments because we thought all staff were polite, friendly and very gentle! The beach was quaint and the rooms were sunny with beautiful oceanviews!We would return in a jiffy!!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank eltje
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2009

The grounds are nice, the rooms are clean, and the beach is lovely. The Blues wing rooms are nice, basic, and clean. What we really loves was that our deck overlooked the water. The food is not very good (and I'm not picky). In fact, neither the food we had at the resort or in some of the "fine dining" restaurants we went to on the island was very good. The staff was unfriendly and unattentive.

• Liked — the beach
  • Disliked — the service
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nusi
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2008

Over a month ago, I had the real pleasure of traveling to Curacao and staying at the wonderful family owned Avila Hotel. Even though my stay was for three nights, I was able to really experience the difference between staying at a very large hotel and the laid back, elegant, yet sophisticated Avila Hotel. During the mornings, I had business to tend to, but in the afternoon; it was time to myself! Sitting on a lounge chair by the infiniti pool, underneath a large umbrella, frozen drink in my hand and reading 'Marley and Me', I was totally relaxed. The wait staff from the pool bar was great! Making sure that I was taken care of all the time. In the evening, I had dinner at Belle Terrace, and by recommendation of the very nice older gentleman that waited on me, I had the famous "Keshi Yena." I tell you, if you like cheese and a mix of Anitllean spices, this is the dish to be had! After dinner, I walked over to the Blues Bar and sat there for a couple off hours listening to a live local jazz band. All this and I hadn't even stepped out of the hotel's property.
Overall, I was able to relax after doing business and that was very important to me. The staff overall was very attentive and friendly and the room I stayed in (Blues Wing), was kept very clean by the housekeeping staff, who always greeted me with a smile and a 'Bon Dia' - Good morning. By the way, these rooms have magnificent ocean views!
I can't wait to get my friends to join me next year!

• Liked — The beach and the close proximity to downtown Willemstad
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank coconut2008
Firenze
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2008

When you pay for a hotel of this level you expect to receive a certain kind of service. Avila hotel is a beautiful location but with employees and service staff of the lowest level. No sense of courtesy or customer service at all! No one ever smiled at us nor made us feel welcome. Each time we tried to make them aware of a problem, they replied with a defensive and aggressive attitude! To begin, at our arrival no one helped us to carry luggage from taxi to reception and then to the room. We were frequently locked out of our room because of malfunctioning keycard and lock (more than 7-8 times in few days). Then, we consumed one bottle of water in our room, and they wanted to charge us for two! More than once they failed to provide us with a full set of towels! Worst of all the day of our departure they forgot to give us the requested wake-up call. All of these of course are "minor" problems, but they become very annoying especially when there are so many problems each day... and especially when your are paying for five star service for what you expect to be a carefree, relaxing vacation.
The hotel is not near the center of town. Many times the staff told us not to leave the hotel grounds on foot after dark because it is not a safe area.

• Liked — Private beach.
  • Disliked — Isolated from island attactions.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank DanteFirenze