“Nice Beach Hotel”

Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Washington, DC
“Nice Beach Hotel”
Reviewed 10 October 2009

We stayed for leisure purposes at the Avila hotel in early October. Clearly this was the low season, and I think the hotel was probably 30% occupied, so things could change dramatically in the high season. Here are some of the highlights:

Staff - generally smiling, good-natured, and willing to help. Most spoke enough English to get by, and there were enough Dutch employees that spoke fluently that language shouldn't be barrier. (not that we expected everyone to speak English in curacao)

Rooms - We toured a number of rooms, here are my takes. Definitely stay in the modern (Octagon) wing, the other rooms are pretty dated and not very nice. The Octagon rooms are a little sterile, but are clean new and modern (ours grew on us after the first 2 days). The standard rooms are nice, for roughly $50 you can get the premium which have little stoves (worth it if you want to save money cooking), and the luxe are about $130 more. These appeared to just be the premium rooms but in locations with a better view or near the pool, not worth it at all in my opinion. I believe they all have little balconies with chairs.

Beach - The beach is very nice. Its small and beautiful and has a nice sandy area. I believe it is man-made, but ultimately it is convenient and perfect for what we wanted. Plenty of decent chairs and shaded areas (although they could be taxed in the high season). Drinks are not the best (mostly from pre-made mixes) and are expensive as you might expect.

Exercise room - This might be the highlight, if you are into working our they have very cutting edge and new treadmills, weights, stationary bicycles, etc.. This rivaled our fairly expensive gym back home (they all have TVs, and iPod docs). The entire gym has a view of the beach and ocean and is very nice - they also have a small hot an wet sauna, and a hot tub (hot tub heater was not working when we visited, but it wasn't a big deal).

Spa - We each had massages at the spa, my wife loved hers and I thought mine was average. I would say the spa overall is merely average and your results will vary depending on what masseuse you get. I also didn't find the spa all together pleasant on the inside, each room was packed with various medical machinery for performing skin treatments, hydro-therapy, etc.. Again my wife went back for a 2nd massage and loved it so clearly it didn't bother her (you can also get outdoor massages - which we did not opt for). Prices were slightly high at $95/55 minute massage.

Restaurants - I would not recommend strongly any of the restaurants on-site. The breakfast buffet was awful (and about $20US) - Stay away! Dinner at Belle Terrace was decent, although probably not worth the price ($100US, dinner, 4 drinks, dessert, appetizer). It did have a nice outdoor atmosphere and the service was decent, not a bad overall experience. We were even tempted to go back for "Antillean Night" on Wednesday, at which point the restaurant went downhill. For some reason (rain?) they moved the restaurant entirely to the breakfast venue. For one its hard to get into the "Antillean" feel when you are sitting in what looks like an outdoor Denny's. The traditional clothing was pretty contrived, and the name tags they are forced to wear made it worse. (Not that we ever expected an authentic experience in the comforts of our beach hotel). In either case the service took a turn for the worse (took 40 minutes between appetizers and entree). The live music was pleasant and the trio that played it were very outgoing and fun which made things better. Overall another expensive but mediocre dinner experience (although this is true of most hotels).

The Rest - the hotel and staff overall did a great job. A couple of minor complaints: Towels, 3 of the 4 days there was no one staffing the towel checkout, and on the 4th day he was chatting away with the bartender and I had to ask for him, most days it was a 10-15 minute wait for towels.

Manager's reception - According to the flier put in our room there was a manger's reception on Wednesday's from 6pm - 7pm with free drinks at the pool bar. The staff at the pool bar spent from 6:00 to 6:20 cleaning the bar, doing dishes, and generally ignoring anyone who sat down. There was one manager present during this time period. I did see a number of guests (who received the flyer) come to bar, look around in a confused manner and then leave. When we came back down at 6:50 things appeared to be busier. (by they way free drinks = wine and beer only)..

Cleaning - the crew starts early and should be told to keep the banging and noise to a minimum, a few days we were awoken to various tasks (garbage lids being slammed, doors being slammed, rugs being beaten, etc...) I am not sure what they were doing exactly but it was loud and right outside our window (near octagon).

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank taistrike

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Aruba
Reviewed 17 September 2009

What a nice hotel !
Yesterday we turned from our Curaçao-vacation. We live on Aruba and we frequently travel in the Caribbean and North-en South America. We stayed again in Avila Beach Hotel and realize again what a great relaxing place it is to be, for both vacation and business. The sound of the waves breaking on the (quiet!) beach relaxes us completely. We had delicious food, on the terrace with a beautiful sea sight. We found the fitness and spa brand new with the latest equipment. Grace had her best massage ever from Vanessa! In the Blues Restaurant we sat ‘above the water’ sipping a wine, while enjoying the wind, music and ofcourse a beautiful view. Unforgettable! In Avila we always really feel we are in the Caribbean. Tthe friendly staff is really there to serve you. We love the Caribbean feeling in Avila; it’s like a Caribbean Coma! For us, Avila is Curaçao, Curaçao is Avila! We will be back, definitely!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank L0ngTimeTravelers
willemstad
Reviewed 16 September 2009

I was planning on celebrating my 45th birthday at home on Saturday with friends and family but truthly was feeling pretty depressed because that "50" was/is coming closer and closer.

So my girlfriends decided to cheer me up.That Friday night they picked me up,supposedly for a birthday dinner.

Little did I know they had much more in store for me!

My boyfriend had secretly packed an overnight bag which was already in my girlfriend's car.

We took off for the Avila Hotel where I thought we would be having dinner but they took me up to the Bolivar suite where chilled champagne awaited for the 4 of us.

We spent an absolutely fabulous girlfriends evening and laughed and talked till well over 4 am.

The suite was perfect for the 4 of us and the nex morning we all enjoyed coffee in the balcony with a 270o vieuw of the Caribbean Sea.

What a way to celebrate my 45th! Now I can't wait to turn 46 :)

Signed
The birthday Girl

• Stayed June 2009
2 Thank nonata59
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 14 September 2009

The Avila Beach hotel is perfect for a simple easy getaway. The hotel restaurant Blues is wonderfully located, on the end of the pier watching the sun set in the sea. Food is good, breakfast is of a good quality, staff is very friendly. The fine sand beach rates among the best on the island. The modern part of the hotel is recommendable. Front desk could be more service oriented, paperwork should not become before guests, I think. The sun chairs on the beach should have been replaced a while ago.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
Utrecht, Netherlands
Reviewed 23 July 2009

Most Dutch business peope book this hotel while being on Curacao. I just followed the crowd. It was great! The rooms are cool and comfortable. Staff is very friendly. Almost all facilities are present on site (including Budget car rental and tourist information). The best is however that this hotel has a private artificial beach with some bars and restaurant around it. This is a great place to relax after a long hot day in Willemstad.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Stayfunn
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 14 July 2009

We loved this place. This hotel has (or at least had) an older side and then a new modern, minimalist side that we stayed on and that we ADORED!!! It was really beautiful!!!! The beach at the front is not that great, but their infinity pool is nice. There restaurant is good, but not amazing by any means. I do like this place alot and I recommend the modern part of the hotel. The staff is friendly and helpful - we love it!!!!

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Birdiki
Holland
Reviewed 1 July 2009

Avila feels definately as a second home. We even got married at their private beach. We would like to thank all people who made our wedding and honeymoon as romantic and beautiful as they did. This was our second stay and definately not our last! A beautiful hotels with nice big rooms. Don't forget Thursday night at the jazz bar! Fantastic!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple