Plaza Hotel Curacao
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
E M City Hotel(Willemstad)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 June 2011

On Saturday, May 28, 2011, my wife and I arrived at the Plaza Hotel in Curacao after a full day of traveling. We were so excited to finally have arrived and looking forward to the comfort and amenities that the Plaza Hotel had to offer. My wife and I checked out of the Plaza Hotel in Curacao on Sunday night, May 29, 2011. The reason we checked out was due to the fact that the hotel was not only filthy but the staff was unpleasant and not helpful at all.
The evening we arrived we were checked in by an unpleasant employee at the front desk. This we did not mind, maybe they were having a bad day or something, but when we got to our room, the floor was wet as we were entering our room. When we looked in the bathroom, the floor was wet in there as well. We didn’t complain to the front desk that evening, thinking maybe they just finished moping the floor, and it was still a little wet. After we finished unpacking and went to take a shower, we noticed that there were pubic hairs in the shower. (Does the staff even clean the bathroom properly?). Also, one of the pillows on the bed had a dirty pillow case. Since it was late, and the front desk person seemed to not be helpful at all, I decided to wait until the morning to let the front desk know.
The next morning, there was a funny odor in the room when we woke up. When I went to the bathroom, the floor was still wet, but now more than last night. As I was brushing my teeth, I realized that the water was coming from the ceiling above. Apparently, every time a guest in the room above us used the bathroom, it would leak into our bathroom. Now that it was morning, and there was more light in the room, we could see mold spots forming in the corners of the bathroom, due to the moisture from the leak.
We went to the front desk and explained to them the issues that we were having and that we wanted a different room. We did not get an apology or any helpful advice, the only response we got back was, “We’ll call maintenance to take a look at it…” When I questioned why we couldn’t have our room changed, the explanation that was that ‘maintenance has to look at it first…’
After lunch when we got back to the room, the maintenance worker was still in the room. Basically, all he did was change the ceiling tile and mop the floor, cause it was still leaking about an hour after he left. I did not feel like going back to the front desk to hear another excuse by their unfriendly staff. We jumped in our car and drove to the Marriott Beach Resort where we checked in for the rest of the trip.

My wife and I are avid travelers who been to a few different countries, and we always check TripAdvisor before we go. There are a few times where we see bad reviews about a hotel, but when we got to the destination, it was never as bad as it sounded. We always wondered how bad can the hotel actually be...? Now we know. What I did learn about the Plaza Hotel is that there are 2 parts to it. One part has one 3 floors, and the other part has 14 floors. The part that has 3 floors is a little more up to date and in better condition than the larger part of the hotel. If you do choose to stay at the hotel, ask to stay in the smaller part of the hotel. Unfortunately, the attitude of the staff will probably be the same.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Linus199
InnsOfDistinction, Manager at Plaza Hotel Curacao, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2011

Well, I wish there was an easy explanation for the unpleasant experience you and your wife encountered at our hotel. Unfortunately there isn't one and for that I apologize.

However, I can tell you that we have made numerous changes to our operation in the past few weeks and months which we believe will improve our guests experience and staff interaction at the Plaza. And your comments helped bring about some of these positive changes!

Currently, we have dozens of guest rooms out of order for maintenance and repairs. Plus we have a team of 6 working their way through each room, detailing, painting and updating every one.

In addition, we have a new management team, of which I am one and are training our guest service agents better. We have also parted ways with several employees who did not wish to properly serve our guests.

Unfortunately many of these improvements will benefit those who stay with us after you, but rest assured that your comments have been heard and many improvements made as a result.

Thanks for writing TripAdvisor. Come back and stay with us again!

Reviewed 8 June 2011

The location is ideal, in the midst of everything, shopping, restaurants & yes even the casino. Good value for money especially when you bringing the entire family. But what was outstanding was the service. The Front Desk staff, Restaurant, the Entertainment desk as well as the Housekeepers made our trip. Whatever we needed they came to our rescue. The pool is fabulous it's exactly what we were looking for "Fun in the Sun"

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank zoeysmom1

It's always nice to read TripAdvisor reviews when our guests had a wonderful time on Curacao and at the Plaza Hotel. So, thanks for selecting us and letting our team serve your family.

We have been working hard to improve our customer service in all areas and it sounded like our training efforts are working. Plus, we have hired many new employees who are just wonderful individuals and love the hospitality industry.

Anyway, thanks so much for staying with us. Come back soon!

Reviewed 6 June 2011

This is the most horrible place I have ever stayed at - the bathroom is completely filled with mold, hair all on the floor, the bathtub not only has mold growing on it, but has soap scums & the bathroom door couldn't even lock. Even the light switch has mold on it. I almost threw up when I saw all of this. I couldn't wait to get out of there, only stayed there for 1 night. All in all, this hotel is old and moldy.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Vacationer7611

I apologize for our team and hotel letting you down. And while we are one of the more historic hotels on the island of Curacao, that's no excuse for a room not being clean.

We currently have dozens of guest rooms out of order for maintenance and repairs. Plus we have a team of 6 working their way through each room, detailing, painting and updating every one.

Yet, clean is a different matter and we have made improvements to our housekeeping department as well.

To improve our standards, we have incorporated new check points, designed to release guest rooms only after they have been cleaned, inspected and double checked by one of our housekeepers and an inspector!

So, while we let you down; I am confident that our current and future guests will see improvements that your review helped spawn.

Hopefully, you will stay with us on your next visit to Curacao.

Reviewed 25 May 2011

With girlfriend, spent 7days on Curacao to get away from it all.
We ended up in the Plaza Hotel in the heart of Willemstad, the part called Punda.
Close to the Shops and the fabulous floating bridge. We had a marvellous relaxing week exploring the island and enjoying the Plaza. The rooms were clean, the staf were very friendly and although we took a little gamble the casino can be avoided if it does not suit you.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2011

We ALWAYS read the reviews and found the Plaza Hotel fun, well located and a great value. The pool was beautiful and food was way better than we expected.

Anyway, this is a great 3 Star hotel with good rates and a great location. If you seek pompus luxury, try another hotel.The Plaza delivered everything we desired and more!

Thanks