“it's getting worse ...”

Ranked #28 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Curacao
“it's getting worse ...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

want some instant coffee? go to Plaza .. not hotel worthy .. great location, true, but that's about it ... it could have been a great hotel ... could have been, but it is not ... I'm not going to Plaza anymore and strongly suggest friends to follow my advice ... hotel guests I met, told me, they came to Plaza year after year, but this was their last time ... they saw what is was and what it has become ...

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank beachgirl1952

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Czech first
Jamaica
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

BEWARE they want to charge $15 extra a night per person for what i don't know. worst they don't even give breakfast in the morning, we had to leave every morning to get breakfast cause they were too expensive and didn't worth it. We had to leave there and book into another hotel and breakfast was on the house and no extra $15 per night at San Marco Hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leleka G
InnsOfDistinction, Manager at Plaza Hotel Curacao, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Dear Leleka,

Thanks for posting your review on TripAdvisor. We're sorry we didn't meet your budget; however the quality offerings at The Plaza are far greater than the property you mentioned.

Plus, we don't think your facts are correct. Please let me explain...

The Plaza Hotel does in fact offer a breakfast buffet each morning, both a continental and a full hot breakfast buffet. Both are a tremendous value, with fresh fruits, 3 types of juices, fresh pastries, cereal, 2 types of yogurts, plus there's eggs, pancakes, 4 types of breakfast meats and a whole lot more. Honestly, our guests and the local community love our breakfast offerings!

Additionally, the Plaza's rates are for both single and double occupancy; which is customary in the hotel industry. In fact, when checking the website of the hotel you mentioned, they charge $23 additional for double and an additional $26 for triple, much, much more than the Plaza.

Anyway, we are glad you visited Curacao and posted your comments on TripAdvisor. Hopefully, we have helped you better understand the rates and offerings at the Plaza Hotel. We hope you will stay with us on your future visits!

DRH

Travellers are raving about these Willemstad hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

Celebrated a milestone birthday with my sister and couldn't have picked a better place to do it. The owner personally check our room to make sure everything was perfect. Location was central to everything...a short walk to all the downtown shops and we were able to visit a different beach each day. Hotel staff was more than accommodating, going out there way several time to satisfy our requests. Came back rested, relaxed and vowing to repeat next year.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Anslee
InnsOfDistinction, Manager at Plaza Hotel Curacao, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Dear Anslee,

I am glad that you and your sister had a "Great Girls Getaway" at the Plaza Hotel & Casino. And I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and that you took the time to tell the world via your review on TripAdvisor! So, thanks.

The Plaza's oceanfront location is often described as the best on Curacao, sounds like you would agree. Our stunning views, plus our proximity to the shops and attractions in Willemstad and nearby beaches certainly add to a great vacation.

Honestly, I loved reading your comment about our staff being "more than accommodating" and "going out of their way to satisfy our requests", since your satisfaction and enjoyment are our primary concerns!.

Thanks again for the kind words and please came back to the Plaza soon.

Helsinki
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

My 1-night-stay was began with in the most unprofessional way: upon the reception I was informed my reservation (and payment) could not be found due to a person having fallen ill. Seemingly, there was only one person in the entire hotel that could manage reservations! When did that become my problem? And I wasn't checking in at an odd time but on a Saturday late afternoon. At first, I also got the impression there were no rooms available either. However, it turned out they just wanted my to pay for the room for a second time, as they could not access the reservations. When I found this a bad idea from my side, I was told if I don't cooperate they will make me wait and makes things more difficult for me. The two persons at the reception also gave me the most condescending looks. This is the first time I actually get threatened by hotel staff! And yes, I was made to wait an hour by the reception, in the meanwhile, the person at the reception was idling away, with seemingly nothing to do. So he was true to his word, and made me wait!

Finally I got a room upon paying an extra 75 USD. I would have gone to another hotel but had an early connecting flight next morning so I just had to endure. The 1-hour waiting efficiently stopped me from doing any shopping at Curacao, as the shops closed while I was pointlessly waiting at the hotel reception.

As a summary I'd say the way I was treated at the reception was probably the most unprofessional and unfriendly experience I've had at any hotel. And I do travel A LOT. Needless to say, I'd never go back to this hotel.

The shabby rooms and almost scary-looking hallways of the hotel were in line with the "welcome" I received at the reception. There was a lot of noise coming from somewhere downstairs (I was in the 3rd floor) which effectively stopped me from getting the sleep I so longed for - early night to catch the very early morning flight. Luckily it ended at around midnight. Other than this, the small room would have been "ok" for a night or two, as the location would have been pretty good.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Brasil
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

This was my 4th time in Plaza Curacao and probably the last one. I used to stay there because of it´s location - near the comercial area in Punda. This time, the hotel were under reconstruction, and there was a leaking just in front of my door........but the worst thing for me was that I asked for a non smoking room and they gave me a room that I barely couldn´t breath inside it and also the pillows had the smell of smoke. I wouldn´t recomend this hotel, even only for a one night stand (that was my case)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank AdrianaPianetti
Dear AdrianaPianetti,

Thank you for your continued support and business at the Plaza Hotel. We do appreciate your loyalty and your comments.

You are correct, the Plaza Hotel has a fantastic location in Curacao and we are renovating and improving the hotel, as you mentioned. We have been working diligently to improve the efficiency of our air conditioning and better insulate the pipes servicing our guestrooms. I believe this to be the "reconstruction" you mentioned.

In regard to your comment about Non-Smoking guest rooms, please note that we are currently INCREASING the number of this room type for our guests. So, I am hopeful that we can fully meet your needs in the future.

We regret the inconvenience you experienced and hope you will stay with us again in the future. Your comments mean a great deal to us and we are working hard to always improve our guest’s experience.

Danki

Fort Collins, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

This is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I have stayed in a variety of different places from the cheap to the very expensive, and this place was the most disgusting. From the thick wall of cigarette smoke that greeted us every time we walked off the elevator to our "non-smoking" room to the layer of filth on our floor (do NOT go barefoot in these rooms!), to the mold growing on the ceiling above our bed, you could not pay me to stay in this hotel again! We attempted to switch rooms without success as the staff was simply not helpful and wouldn't even attempt to amend the situation. Probably because all the other rooms are just as disgusting.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer M
Alphen aan den Rijn, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Excellent location, in Punda Willemstad near the Pontjesbrug and the entrance to the harbor. It is the old VanderValk Hotel and it needs to be updated. Rooms are very basic, but the bed is very good. Free wifi in the room. There is a carpark in front but very busy.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple