“Old world charm historic location with great amenities and centrally located to everything.”

Plaza Hotel Curacao
Ranked #28 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I spent 3 great weeks at Royal Plaza in may 2012. Planning to return soon. The place is beautiful, the best restaurants and staff is exceptional. My room had a great ocean view and scuba diving right there at the arches. Best shore dived at the hotel. My stay was fun filled days and live music at night. I love this place! !

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank JuliesManateeStore

Reviewed 9 May 2012

The Plaza was a great place to stay for the three weeks that I was in Curacao. The staff are friendly and willing to help at all times. It is clean and tidy. The pool area is great, with free cinema night every Wednesday showing comtemporary film, free of charge.
My room was spacious with en suite jacuzzi and air conditioning. The hotel is central to Willemstad and is an easy, short walk to the shops.

Room Tip: Pick a room overlooking the pool as most come with balconies.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Louisb1960
Reviewed 1 May 2012

The staff was very pleasant and helpful. Even when they were not actually working. I was sitting next to the Sales and Marketing Manager, Monica, on the flight from Miami. She explained a lot to me about the island. (BTW, I would rather sit next to her chatty daughter Isabelle, rather than a screaming child any day). I think she may have gotten me an upgrade, as I was staying on the 14th floor overlooking the sea, if so, thank you. Michael the F&B Supervisor was also very helpful in explaining the hotel and local attractions. I was first worried after I saw other reviews on here. I experienced none of those horrors. The rooms and common areas were very clean and well maintained. The breakfast buffet was a delight (except the bacon, too crispy for my tastes) and reasonably priced. However, with the exception of Friday night, there is no nightlife. For a hotel that was 80% full, I hardly saw anyone at the bars or pool area. If you are traveling with kids, this is not the place to stay. The only ammenity for kids is the pool, otherwise you need to look outside the hotel for activities to entertain the little ones. Overall, I had a very relaxing vacation. Thank you.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Chad D
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I own a home in Curacao so I visit often. My home is rented so I tried out the Plaza Hotel. I bought it as part of a package with a subsidy. I would not pay over 100 dollars a night for this place. The location is great. The security is great too. I liked the pool area and the young guy bartender was excellent. The maid was very nice. The room was a good size.
There are a lot of negatives which could be easily looked after. One, this place needs some ice machines- one on every floor, going to the bars for ice is a hassle. Two, buy some de-humidifiers so no mold grows on the ceiling in the halls. Three, the whole place needs some paint. Four, don't use older people who can't speak english as a bartender on off days. Five, happy hour should be 2 for 1 drinks like every other place, not just a discount. Six, make sure all the safes in the rooms work. Seven, buy new TVs in every room if you intend on being a three star hotel. I would also focus on fixing up the three main floors and worry about tower rooms later. I stayed on the second floor which was a good location.
There is a lot of potential here but the owner and manager need to spend some money before this place is totally run down. I would stay here again if the price was around $80. There is no way it is worth spending more unless there are a lot of these fixes mentioned above.

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Dougfms
Reviewed 18 April 2012

It was my 2nd time at The Plaza and I really enjoyed it again....Great location walking distance to everything Curacao...Clean rooms great breakfast buffet...
We will be back

Room Tip: Get a Superior room...we did our 2d trip well worth the extra $20....
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Terrychicago
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel from 31 March - 7 April 2012. This hotel consists of two buildings, the tower and an annex (I stayed at the annex). Rooms are large, clean and comfortable with all the necessery amenities (telephone, television, airco, bathroom). Rooms also have free wifi. The rooms are serviced several times a day. From my room I had a splendid view over Willemstad (Fort Amsterdam, Otrobanda, the Queen Emma pontoonbridge) and the St. Anna Bay with the tall ships going in and out of the harbor. The hotel features a fine restaurant for breakfast (around 15 US $), lunch and dinner. Also there is a swimming pool with deckchairs and a bar. Nice detail about this hotel is that it was build atop an ancient fortress (Water Fort), parts of which (battlements) can be seen around the pool-area. The lobby is very impressive and hotel staff are friendly and helpful. In the lobby there is a representative from a car-rental agency (Thunder Rent-a-car) and a shop. As the hotel is located in the heart of Willemstad everything (sights, shops) is within easy walking distance.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Christian_LeJeune
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Great place to stay,close to downtown Willemstad with walking distance to local shopping bars and restraunts.Hotel was very clean,got to meet the owners and they were great hosts and hostesses.You have to have a drink at the sunset bar at sunset,it quickly became one of our favorite spots.

Room Tip: get a room in the tower best view in Curacao.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rob B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Boutique Hotel 't Klooster
#24 of 32 in Willemstad
Curacao Airport Hotel
Curacao Airport Hotel
#22 of 32 in Willemstad

Been to Plaza Hotel Curacao? Share your experiences!