“A Wonderful Full Service Hotel”

Plaza Hotel Curacao
Ranked #28 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Islamorada, Florida
“A Wonderful Full Service Hotel”
Reviewed 13 July 2012

My wife and I spent four days of total relaxation at this wonderful hotel. Our room over looked the harbor entrance and you could almost touch the many ships coming and going. Each day was started with the Plaza's full buffet breakfast, followed by a new luncheon and dinner menu that was started the day we arrived. Each afternoon we spent a little time at their "Shooters Bar" overlooking the ocean and at night we did a little gaming in their casino. The service staff were wonderful and helped us with our daily plans. We would highly reccommend this hotel to anyone wanting to see Curacao

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank John M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Czech first
Bonaire
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Booked online, no problem. I know plaza for the good location.
Was amazed that the hotel is still in the 1960s.
Outside structural wall are showing the metal supports, broken up concrete wall exposing the inner support bars that are already rusted.
Hotel still uses old fashion key with big keychains.
Room is spacious but in a state of decay, work in progress I guess.
Arrived told them I had no hot water, they try to fix it but I didn't us hot water at all.
The safe batteries were dead told them to fix it not done.
Overall not very happy for what I paid for.
For some extra bucks could have stayed at renaissance hotel in otrabanda.

Room Tip: Check higher level for the best view of the port of punda/otrabanda
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Ethuriel N

Travellers are raving about these Willemstad hotels

Reviewed 15 June 2012

today is the last day of my vacation here in at the Plaza in Willemstad and I'm terribly sad to leave. Not only is the location ideal--- right above a potpourri of restaurants, and conveniently located right on the coast with great snorkeling and swimming-- but the plaza itself is a gem. walking into the lobby with its high ceilings, wicker fans, and koi pond is walking into an authentic Caribbean experience. the staff is friendly and attentive (they remembered me day after day when I took the reasonably priced $3 shuttle to the luxe cabana beach!) and the atmosphere is friendly and casual. it is very obvious that this is not some faceless chain hotel, as the decor is unique and the ambience is genuine. we had an awesome room overlooking the hotel pool and the vast ocean-- great for spotting incoming ships and tugboats. each morning, we feasted at the delicious breakfast buffet provided by the hotel in the outdoor restaurant with the open sea breeze, and we spent several nights at happy hour at the hotel bar, shooter's. some nights there were even free films, shows, and events at this cozy little bar. when I wasn't relaxing in the comfort of
or uncovering the rich history of this historic hotel, the entire town of Willemstad was right at my fingertips. it is a short walk across the pontoon bridge to otrabanda, and we even rented mopeds one day to take our trip a little further. overall, this was by far the best vacation I've had. I was treated with the utmost kindness by the personable staff of the hotel and received a+ service. with its great location and accessibility, nothing worthwhile was out of reach. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone seeking an authentic, personal experience at this historic, local establishment.

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank ellenekeating
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 11 June 2012

For such a central location, the Plaza Hotel is really disappointing. The hotel could use some attention to detail, if they are going to charge $150/night. I've stayed at much better hotels for half that price. Here's what you'll get, based on my experience:
Moldy ceiling tiles (seriously, these are easy to replace. Why are there so many moldy tiles in the ceiling?)
Strange winged ants crawling out of the space between the grout and the bathtub, by the dozens. I killed about twenty of them before they stopped crawling out. That's not to mention the smaller sugar ants that came later. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the unidentified bugs that infested the dresser.
Cheap, 20-inch analog TV. Do they realize that most of the world has switched to HD well over 4 years ago? Not only is it analog, but it's impossibly tiny to see from your bed, as it's hung near the ceiling in the corner of the room.
No toiletries, save for tiny soaps.
Stained sheets. Ours had pink nail polish stains. Who knows what else you might get?
Indifferent service: How much time talking to your friends are you going to spend before you realize that customers are waiting for you, reception lady?
Skip this place.
I would recommend skipping Curacao altogether, but that's another review.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lucisan
Crystal River, Florida
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I spent 3 great weeks at Royal Plaza in may 2012. Planning to return soon. The place is beautiful, the best restaurants and staff is exceptional. My room had a great ocean view and scuba diving right there at the arches. Best shore dived at the hotel. My stay was fun filled days and live music at night. I love this place! !

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank JuliesManateeStore
Reviewed 9 May 2012

The Plaza was a great place to stay for the three weeks that I was in Curacao. The staff are friendly and willing to help at all times. It is clean and tidy. The pool area is great, with free cinema night every Wednesday showing comtemporary film, free of charge.
My room was spacious with en suite jacuzzi and air conditioning. The hotel is central to Willemstad and is an easy, short walk to the shops.

Room Tip: Pick a room overlooking the pool as most come with balconies.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Louisb1960
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 1 May 2012

The staff was very pleasant and helpful. Even when they were not actually working. I was sitting next to the Sales and Marketing Manager, Monica, on the flight from Miami. She explained a lot to me about the island. (BTW, I would rather sit next to her chatty daughter Isabelle, rather than a screaming child any day). I think she may have gotten me an upgrade, as I was staying on the 14th floor overlooking the sea, if so, thank you. Michael the F&B Supervisor was also very helpful in explaining the hotel and local attractions. I was first worried after I saw other reviews on here. I experienced none of those horrors. The rooms and common areas were very clean and well maintained. The breakfast buffet was a delight (except the bacon, too crispy for my tastes) and reasonably priced. However, with the exception of Friday night, there is no nightlife. For a hotel that was 80% full, I hardly saw anyone at the bars or pool area. If you are traveling with kids, this is not the place to stay. The only ammenity for kids is the pool, otherwise you need to look outside the hotel for activities to entertain the little ones. Overall, I had a very relaxing vacation. Thank you.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo