“BEWARE!”

Ranked #28 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
miami, fl
“BEWARE!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2010

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. We had our baby son with us. $179.00 per night.
For what you pay, the service on ALL levels really sucks. We know that Curacao in general is not all that customer orientated, but we thought that maybe in the hotel/tourist industry, it would be better.
Firstly, on enquiring days before we arrived about the possibility of having a crib in the room, we were told it would be done.......it wasn't until the 2nd day after much debating by front desk staff as to whether it was something they offered or not.
The food, well, if you like your steak boiled in water then placed on you plate, ....bon appetit.
The room floor was so dirty, even after maid service, that we ended up with dirty feet if we walked barefoot in the room.
The coffee/tea in the room, well, no creamer, and then from the second day onwards....they never bothered to replace the sugar or the coffee either.
We went to the restaurant lunch time, (13h45) & there were 4 people dining at 2 tables. We asked for burgers to be brought to the room and were told that they were too busy to bring them to the room. When i asked how they could be busy with 4 patrons dining, they said they were setting up for dinner.
The TV....disgraceful, the few channels that there were, som ehad the Dish Network screensaver during the night, others had home shopping instead of the channels listed. The channel list was not up to date, and the picture quality is terrible.
My impression of this hotel.........it has a great location.....it probably used to be a great hotel...but all it has now is the location. Such a pity.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
PlazaHotelCuracao, General Manager at Plaza Hotel Curacao, responded to this review, 10 June 2010
Dear Feesxm,

Thank you for your feedback.
The comments made will be taken seriously as we can learn from them.
We hope when you return to the Island someday that you will reach out to me personally so that I can show you that we can do a lot better.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Czech first
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2010

The location really makes the hotel. The view from our window was the entrance to the harbor, the Queen Emma bridge, and downtown Willemstad's "Otrabanda." The beds were big and comfortable, the pillows excellent, at night you can watch the ships come in and out of the port.
I booked my hotel 2 months before my trip and noticed I payed nearly $100 less per night than they were charging when I actually went to the island, so I'd recommend booking in advance.

The hotel is in the center of it all so to speak. A 5 minute walk from the bus stop, 5 minute walking distance to your choice of about 30 restaurants, varying in price and fare. Taxi's are on site or can be called by the front desk. (Not recommended, a bus will save you a lot over taxi service.) Less than 5 minutes to the floating bridge that crosses the channel. 5 mintues from the floating market and many, many high end retail stores if you're there for shopping.
The staff at the front desk are friendly and had memorized my room number by the second night I was there. They speak fluent English, Dutch, and Spanish, and can flawlessly switch from language to language to suit the guests. Room service was daily and very well maintained, the floors are mopped, new towels are brought, etc. The hotel serves meals but I only ate one (quite pricy) there, but it was a great meal and I appreciated the traditional food that was served. I recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to get a true feel of Curacao.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank AyeEat
Dear AyeEat,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. It is reviews like this that make us work extra hard to please our guests even more.
The location of the hotel is indeed great and we recently put all new beds in the rooms.
Booking early always pays off. The earlier you book the best deal one gets. Also, The longer you stay the less you pay!
We hope to welcome you back sometime in the near future.
Paramaribo, Suriname
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2010

Travelling a lot on buisness,i found the location of plaza hotel fantastic central smack bang in the heart of the small city
on entering the foyer to the hotel (which is magnificant with its large fish pond tiled floors and welcoming staff) there were pleanty of tours that are organised plus a car hire desk
i spent most of my time on the internet by the pool,sipping cocktails and taking in the breathtaking view of the ocean and the cruise liners sailing by i did not have to go far at night as there is a casino on the premises
the hotel had 15 resteraunts attached in this historical fort overlooking curacao with venezuela in the background next time i plan to take my family and if my boyfriend accepts i will propose and have my wedding at plaza

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Dear Balbaki,

Thank you for your great review! We are glad you had a good time.
It would be our honor if you would have your wedding at our hotel.
We look forward to meet you again.
Urk, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2010

We went to this hotel for 4 weeks. We were on the twelfth floor and enjoyed a great view of the sea, the entrance to the harbor and the rest of the island.
During our stay we were treated well by the personel.
The pool was delightful, the rooms were big and the beds were nice and clean.
Overall we had a very pleasent stay at the hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear FamvanUrk,

Thank you for your kind review!
We hope to welcome you back sometime in the near future.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2010

We spend one night at the Plaza Hotel. We checked in late in the evening. When we arrived in the room we were really shocked. We are traveling a lot and this is really one of the worse hotel rooms ever. Because we traveled the whole day an were tired, we decided not to complain. We'll never go back to the Plaza...

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Richard7163
PlazaHotelCuracao, General Manager at Plaza Hotel Curacao, responded to this review, 11 June 2010
Dear Richard 7163

We are trully sorry you where assigned a room that was below the standards. We are well underway with renovating all our rooms in the mean time we took our non finished rooms out of inventory.
We hope to welcome you back sometime in the future and host you in one of our deluxe ocean view rooms.

Travellers are raving about these Willemstad hotels

Willemstad, Curacao
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2010

i would like to thank this hotel for his good service!!! I was today at the waterfort restaurant for a holy party of catherine batista!! it was verry good!! food was verry delisios!! drink were runn at the time!! I wanna thank the waiterss for they good service, always helping and the important thing always smiling !! i ask if i can see the penthouse and they let my see imadiatly !!! the supervisor was verry gentle and ask us every time if always was ok!! thank you nohaima i thing was her name!! i apriciate it !! we all !! thank you plaza hotel Curacao!! this was my best service in my live!!!
Nataly Dos Santos

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
PlazaHotelCuracao, General Manager at Plaza Hotel Curacao, responded to this review, 14 May 2010
Dear Naty2569,
We are glad you had a great special event at The Plaza Hotel Curacao!
It is great to hear that the service was good and everything happened in a timely manner.
We appreciate your positive feedback. It motivates us to do even better.
We hope to see you soon again at The Plaza Hotel Curacao.
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2010

First let me say I am a very picky person when it comes to hotels but I must say this hotel was much better then I expected from the reviews. This hotel is right in the middle of the shopping areas where everyone wants to come. They have many trips to choose from to explore the island...we took Peter's Tour and our tour guide was the best. Our room was right on the water and the view of the Elizabeth bridge watching it open and close was amazing. The casino in the hotel was one of the best on island because it seems like their is a casino every block there. The food was excellent with a friendly staff who always smiled. The front desk associates were always helpful with everything we needed from exchanging money to giving us more towels.

While I was there I also proposed on the bridge by the hotel and of course she said yes! She just kept saying what more can I ask for! I was also there to view the facility for some the groups that I handle for going overseas. Did not get to meet the sales manager since I could access my email. But I pretty much got the ideal of the place and I am definitely going to recommend this hotel to many of my upcoming groups.

Pros:
Very friendly staff, great location, great food. Exotic elevator. Walking distance to shopping and many great landscapes. Weather was always beautiful. Quick maintenance work (water was only out for half a day, which is good considering the massive leak).

Cons:
Mosquitoes, Mosquitoes, Mosquitoes! Swimming pool needs a touch up. More options for dinner. And Mosquitoes...but they do spray weekly!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Letstravel4Ever,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review.
First of all congratulations with your engagement. We are honored that you proposed while staying with us.
We look forward to host your future groups at our property and hope to welcome you back sometime in the future as well.